Sign in to follow this  
timmyc1983

MOD: Re-Haunted House, Modular

Hello all,

I wanted share my latest MOD, I'm not 100% on which forum this fits into, so if it should be in the Action Themes forum please move it across.

I really liked the look of the Haunted House set and wanted to add it to my modular town, but wanted to keep the 'haunted' feel to it... So i decided to modify it as close to the original as possible AND using as few extra bricks as possible. So here is the result, as usual there are more shots on my flickr photostream.

11204779146_f0a1739349.jpg

^ Here is the front on view, as I said, I tried to keep to the original as much as possible. (The ghosts are the most adorable minifigs, I love them :wub: )

11204753814_b86a52fd02.jpg

^ This is the back, I don't normally do much in the back but had the pieces. The chimney, back door and brick bricks work well here I think, and in an aim to keep the brick count down I needed to buy, I used the corner slope bricks as normal slopes to 'decay' the house further, so it looks like the tiles are cracked and broken (at least that's how I justify it :devil: )

11204763176_7d1dc8ab49.jpg11204728585_cc560fcb11.jpg

^Some compromises had to be made in using the original bricks, here you can see this side wall is made up of many of the shelves from the top story of the original building. However, I wanted to use the hinge bricks and keep it like original set with an opening, on the side not in the middle in this case. All the fantastic interior details have found a home in the building.

11204941745_d71a77ca45.jpg

^Market Street was all I had handy to show a street view, but I'm not sure the locals are too happy with their new neighbours......

Hope you like it and comments and critiques are most welcome! :laugh:

Ha, I wouldn't have thought this would've worked, but it works really well. The juxtaposition of run-down and well-maintained buildings is something I often see in city centres, especially in these trying times D':

It looks terrible (in a great way!). I really like it and it makes me wish I'd snagged a copy of the HH last month. The hinged sides are a nice touch.

Oh, and your neighborhood is beginning to look as run down and destitute as mine!

I really like what you have done here...I have been keeping my eye on some HH sets on ebay and hopefully be adding this to my collection. Great work!

If it was on the market street in Copenhagen i would be stupid enough to go in there to see whats for sale, and never return probably. :P

I love it. Very nice build indeed.

It definitely works, you've done well to keep the original feel of the building.

It would look great with the Pet Shop buildings on the other side, just to complete the row of houses look.

Very nice build. I always thought the HH would make a great modular. I still have an extra in the box just waiting for he right time.

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

Thanks to all for the comments, glad you all like it :blush:

Very nice build. I always thought the HH would make a great modular. I still have an extra in the box just waiting for he right time.

Andy D

You'll be pleased to know I only had buy/use about a dozen extra pieces that weren't in the original set! The baseplate was the most expensive piece and the rest are mostly hidden on the side walls. And I ended with a lot of left over bricks including some of the larger plates :classic:

With the shutter falling the same way on both levels, it looks like even the decay of the place is haunted as well. Now, I wonder, what are the ghosts getting for Christmas? I'll have to check back on that day.

With the shutter falling the same way on both levels, it looks like even the decay of the place is haunted as well. Now, I wonder, what are the ghosts getting for Christmas? I'll have to check back on that day.

Haha, yeah maybe I should change one of the shutters there. And I hope the ghosts have nice or they will get coal!

it looks nice, but maybe a continued sidewalk would be nice

Thanks, and when I add it to my layout it will have the same sidewalk as the rest, I just didn't have an light bley tiles at hand when I took the pics :blush:

This is a dream project of my own to modularize the Haunted House. I have seen a handful but they typically 'clean' the place up which is nice but I enjoy the rundown aspects of the original so it is nice seeing how faithful you were with this modification. Good job.