Zepher

Heroica RPG - Quest#88: Fathers and Sons

OoC: Once Sisco goes shopping we can move on. :thumbup:

The Party

hoke_ableword_1b.jpg

Hoke Ablesword The Krakenwhacker and Titan Smiter (UsernameMDM)
*Party Leader*

Level 29.33 Mystic Knight
*Immune to Darkness, Fragile, Weakened, Sealed, and Confused*

Power Bonus:

Defense
: 25

Health
: 48/48

Ether
: 23/29

Gold
: 328

Equipment
:
Flagpole (WP:4, +3 SP to the whole party whenever equipped, lance)
, Steel Buckler (SP: 20, immune to
darkness
),
Samurai Helmet (WP: 4, immune to sealed and confused, suitable to knights, dragoons, regulators, winged warriors)
, Pugilist Gloves (+2 to power, immune Weakened), Heavy Armor (SP:5, immune Fragile)

Inventory
:
Vintul (WP: 16; greatsword)
Warrior's Treads (SP:2, Health +1)
, Gladiator Trident (WP: 11, causes the Bleeding effect; spear),
Electro Gear (Adds lightning-element to physical attacks and protects from lightning-elemental damage, accessory),
Cultist Hat (damage vs undead),
Counterstrike Gloves,
Opal (
Ice
), Ruby (
Fire
), Sapphire (
Wind
), Emerald (
Wood
), Aquamarine (
Water
), 2x Amethyst (
Darkness
), Diamond (
Light
), Topaz (
Lightning
),
Garnet (
Earth
)
Scroll of Frailty, Scroll of Weakening, Scroll of Blindness, Scroll of Confusion, Scroll of Sealing, Scroll of Sleep,
4x Potions, 4x Grand Potions, Remedy, 3x Phoenix Essences, Phoenix Incense, 3x Mead, 4x Ether Core, Dragon Scale
(
Grants lucky- and blessed-effects when consumed)
, Grating Stone, Zoot's Plaything (Special 3/4 Edition), Water Bomb, Dirt Bomb, 2x Smoke Bomb, 3x Venom, 3x Deadly Venom, Bedroll, Pickaxe, Shovel, Kraken Fang (grants hastened- and reinforced-effects when consumed),
2x
Titan Heart
(
Grants encouraged- and inspired-effects when consumed), Level Up Mushroom, Pumpkin Bomb, Mulled Wine, Tonic, 2x Flame-Distilled Brandy

9173297646_e66d93ed81_o.jpg

Benji Carvenhall
, the Dragonslayer

Level 35 Beastwarrior
*Natural Respite*
*Gains Triple XP*
*Immune to
Asleep
Blinded
Confused
Fragile
, and
Weakened
Effects

Power:
(35+16)

Defense:
(3+6)

Health:
36/61
(6+34+15+6)

Gold:
(owes 500 to Alexis Fenral)

Equipment:
Meduiak (Precision Bow; WP:16; AIM's become HIT's;
darkness-
ice-
fire-
wind
-
elemental
)
Medal of Glory
(accessory, mark of true talent that allows the wearer to gain triple experience from battles, immunity to
asleep, blinded, confused, fragile, and weakened effects)
, Tricorne (headwear, SP:3), Overkill Gloves
[borrowed from Galen]
(handwear, +1 gold for every point of damage done extra when defeating an enemy)
, Scaly Skin of the Allanoid (SP:6, backwear, suitable for Ranger and Barbarian Oriented Classes and Beast Warriors)

Inventory:
Crossbow of the Pongcanis (WP:15;
earth-,
wood-,
water-
lightning-,
light-
elemental),
Brown Dragon Girdle (bodywear, power +3; immunity to wood; suitable to rangers, rogues, alchemists and beast warriors),
Ratmancer's Cowl
(headgear, the wearer's physical attacks deal double damage against vermin),
Trickster's Mask of the Gender Swap (artefact, accessory),
Health Core (6),
Grand Potion (9),
Potion,
Remedy (5), Phoenix Essence (5),
Phoenix Incense (2), Dragon Scales (3),
Nostrum (4), Smelling Salts (4), Mead (5), Mulled Wine (4), Venom, Smoke Bomb (3),
Skeleton Decoy, Lightning Bomb, Fire Bomb 2x, Water Bomb, Bone,
Magic Compass, Pickaxe, Bedroll, Shovel, Puglist's Gloves (Handwear, +2 Power, Immune to Weakened Effect), Chaotic Bomb, Cosmic Essence, Flame-Distilled Brandy (4), Ambrosia

gallery_4757_182_2350.jpg

Tesni Hightribe
, Level 32 3/4 Beserker *Restoration* *Immune to Afraid*

Power
: 59

Power Bonus
: 0

Defense
: 14

Health
: 51/51

Gold
: 1436

Equipment
: Fàelàn (WP:20, 8x damage to enemies weak to fire, fire-elemental longsword)),Sir Roderick’s Shield (SP:11, Immunity to afraid), Bone Claws (WP:3, SP:2; handwear), Dragon Bone Armor (SP:4, Max. Health +2; bodywear), Barbarian's Boots (Changes “Natural Respite” job trait into “Restoration”, restoring full health after every battle; suitable for barbarians, chi monks and beast warriors).

Inventory
: Mellt (WP:10, ice- and lightning-elemental; hammer), Qilin Blade (WP:15, damages undead, ignores row and SP; longsword), Cysgodion (WP:14, darkness-elemental; greatsword), Dryw ar Zoot (WP:14, light-elemental; longsword), Cryfder (WP:6),Party Maracas (WP:4, user is hastened, instrument), Rebel's Dagger (WP: 5), 2 Shackles of War (prevents all fleeing, accessory), Red Dragon Plume (artifact, accessory, immunity to Weakened and Fire, suitable to Barbarians, Knights, Skirmishers, Winged Warriors), King's Crown (Headwear, protects against Doom and Petrified, Suitable for all classes), Scroll of Sleep, Tiger Balm, Elixir, 2 Phoenix Essences, 5 Venoms, 2 Deadly Venoms, 3 Meads, 2 Smelling Salts, Nostrum, Soma, Deadly Venom, Smoke Bomb, Bright Polish, Aquamarine Lamp of Summoning, Mod Rod (WP:10, causes the afraid-effect; lightning-elemental staff suitable for staff members only). Mulled Wine, 3 Potions, 3 Remedies

ava-jess.jpg

Jess Islanti (Sisco)

Level 19.5 Assassin
*Immune to Weakened Effect*

Power
: 37 (+4)
(19+14+2+2)

Health
: 1/31 (+1)
(7+18+5+1)

Gold
: 616

Equipment
: Blohdhurm (WP: 14)(Fire elemental, Permanently Poisoned), Pugilist's Gloves (+2 to Power, immune to the Weakened Effect)

Inventory
: 2 Venoms, 2 Meads, 3 Grand Potions,
Dragonfire Stew (Gives the consumer the
encouraged
and
inspired
effects for the duration of one battle), Mulled Wine, Potion, Medal of Honor (Accessory, User Gains Triple Experience), Remedy

OoC: Sorry, I've been away from the computer today! I'm posting from my phone, but I'll be home in about an hour to make my purchases. :thumbup:

Jess browsed the wares for a moment, then decided on her purchases.

"Four Phoenix Essences (75x4=300), ten Potions (10x10=100), ten Remedies (10x10=100), and five Flame-distilled Brandies (15x5=75) for the total of 575 gold, leaving me with 41 gold."

Benji drinks a grand potion, and grins. "Alrightee then. Where we're off to now, eh Hewyert bud?"

352abbef-fd1c-4799-ad5d-1a3827fe57ab_zps8cd65e4b.jpg

"I believe it's time to cross the river."

The heroes follow Heweyrt out of a different gate than the one they entered through. They walk down towards a river - in the distance, silhouetted by the dying sun, hardly visible in the mist and sleet, is a hulking bridge.

At the river, Hamilton and some assorted soldiers from each Kingdom wait in a small row boat. Three more small boats float nearby.

a3501f92-2af4-44f7-b269-8eac02552cbe_zps9489be9c.jpg

"I apologize for the inconvenient crossing, heroes. As the bridge evidences, the crossing is very dangerous. Large ships get caught on snags in the river bottom, and, until very recently, attracted the attention of the Nords." Hamilton spits over the side of the boat upon his own mention of the northern tribes. "So we cross in numerous small boats... and even that is a little dangerous."

There is a sound of heavy footsteps and the heroes turn to see King Speros and one of his soldiers approaching.

e18c674d-16d9-43a5-99cf-f075d9c31574_zpsf2087428.jpg

95126e79-3241-4d01-9fda-d28bb4cad8be_zpsd0e9db8d.jpg

"That's the last of my men. Are we ready to shove off, then?"

"Just a moment. We're still waiting on our newly minted Paladin."

It is only a minute or two later that Nerwen makes her way to the river, but in that time King Speros clearly grows restless, swinging his axe back and forth idly. Gocklo hops ahead excitedly.

11157845374_5dfcf7b614_t.jpg

"Announcing to the public for the first time, hehehe, Lady Nerwen Calmcacil, Warrior Priestess of the Paladin Order."

King Speros growls under his breathe.

"Now can we go? My son is waiting on the other side of the river. I'd rather see him while the sun is still in the sky instead of attempting to navigate the river in the dark."

The heroes and soldiers pile into the boats along with General Hamilton and King Speros. Heweyrt and Gocklo stay on the shore so quietly that it is only after the boats have undocked that the heroes realize they are not with them. Heweyrt waves.

"I will allow you to continue your adventure alone for the time being, heroes. Use your heads. Remember your goal. Peace, so that this damn bridge may be finished."

11157845374_5dfcf7b614_t.jpg

"Have fun, hehehe."

And then the shore is swallowed by the mist and the heroes are sailing on the quiet and dead river as the sun sets.

"Have any of you heroes seen real combat before?" Hamilton calls over from his boat, clearly trying to make conversation.

The Party

hoke_ableword_1b.jpg

Hoke Ablesword The Krakenwhacker and Titan Smiter (UsernameMDM)
*Party Leader*

Level 29.33 Mystic Knight
*Immune to Darkness, Fragile, Weakened, Sealed, and Confused*

Power Bonus:

Defense
: 25

Health
: 48/48

Ether
: 23/29

Gold
: 328

Equipment
:
Flagpole (WP:4, +3 SP to the whole party whenever equipped, lance)
, Steel Buckler (SP: 20, immune to
darkness
),
Samurai Helmet (WP: 4, immune to sealed and confused, suitable to knights, dragoons, regulators, winged warriors)
, Pugilist Gloves (+2 to power, immune Weakened), Heavy Armor (SP:5, immune Fragile)

Inventory
:
Vintul (WP: 16; greatsword)
Warrior's Treads (SP:2, Health +1)
, Gladiator Trident (WP: 11, causes the Bleeding effect; spear),
Electro Gear (Adds lightning-element to physical attacks and protects from lightning-elemental damage, accessory),
Cultist Hat (damage vs undead),
Counterstrike Gloves,
Opal (
Ice
), Ruby (
Fire
), Sapphire (
Wind
), Emerald (
Wood
), Aquamarine (
Water
), 2x Amethyst (
Darkness
), Diamond (
Light
), Topaz (
Lightning
),
Garnet (
Earth
)
Scroll of Frailty, Scroll of Weakening, Scroll of Blindness, Scroll of Confusion, Scroll of Sealing, Scroll of Sleep,
4x Potions, 4x Grand Potions, Remedy, 3x Phoenix Essences, Phoenix Incense, 3x Mead, 4x Ether Core, Dragon Scale
(
Grants lucky- and blessed-effects when consumed)
, Grating Stone, Zoot's Plaything (Special 3/4 Edition), Water Bomb, Dirt Bomb, 2x Smoke Bomb, 3x Venom, 3x Deadly Venom, Bedroll, Pickaxe, Shovel, Kraken Fang (grants hastened- and reinforced-effects when consumed),
2x
Titan Heart
(
Grants encouraged- and inspired-effects when consumed), Level Up Mushroom, Pumpkin Bomb, Mulled Wine, Tonic, 2x Flame-Distilled Brandy

9173297646_e66d93ed81_o.jpg

Benji Carvenhall
, the Dragonslayer

Level 35 Beastwarrior
*Natural Respite*
*Gains Triple XP*
*Immune to
Asleep
Blinded
Confused
Fragile
, and
Weakened
Effects

Power:
(35+16)

Defense:
(3+6)

Health:
36/61
(6+34+15+6)

Gold:
(owes 500 to Alexis Fenral)

Equipment:
Meduiak (Precision Bow; WP:16; AIM's become HIT's;
darkness-
ice-
fire-
wind
-
elemental
)
Medal of Glory
(accessory, mark of true talent that allows the wearer to gain triple experience from battles, immunity to
asleep, blinded, confused, fragile, and weakened effects)
, Tricorne (headwear, SP:3), Overkill Gloves
[borrowed from Galen]
(handwear, +1 gold for every point of damage done extra when defeating an enemy)
, Scaly Skin of the Allanoid (SP:6, backwear, suitable for Ranger and Barbarian Oriented Classes and Beast Warriors)

Inventory:
Crossbow of the Pongcanis (WP:15;
earth-,
wood-,
water-
lightning-,
light-
elemental),
Brown Dragon Girdle (bodywear, power +3; immunity to wood; suitable to rangers, rogues, alchemists and beast warriors),
Ratmancer's Cowl
(headgear, the wearer's physical attacks deal double damage against vermin),
Trickster's Mask of the Gender Swap (artefact, accessory),
Health Core (6),
Grand Potion (9),
Potion,
Remedy (5), Phoenix Essence (5),
Phoenix Incense (2), Dragon Scales (3),
Nostrum (4), Smelling Salts (4), Mead (5), Mulled Wine (4), Venom, Smoke Bomb (3),
Skeleton Decoy, Lightning Bomb, Fire Bomb 2x, Water Bomb, Bone,
Magic Compass, Pickaxe, Bedroll, Shovel, Puglist's Gloves (Handwear, +2 Power, Immune to Weakened Effect), Chaotic Bomb, Cosmic Essence, Flame-Distilled Brandy (4), Ambrosia

gallery_4757_182_2350.jpg

Tesni Hightribe
, Level 32 3/4 Beserker *Restoration* *Immune to Afraid*

Power
: 59

Power Bonus
: 0

Defense
: 14

Health
: 51/51

Gold
: 1436

Equipment
: Fàelàn (WP:20, 8x damage to enemies weak to fire, fire-elemental longsword)),Sir Roderick’s Shield (SP:11, Immunity to afraid), Bone Claws (WP:3, SP:2; handwear), Dragon Bone Armor (SP:4, Max. Health +2; bodywear), Barbarian's Boots (Changes “Natural Respite” job trait into “Restoration”, restoring full health after every battle; suitable for barbarians, chi monks and beast warriors).

Inventory
: Mellt (WP:10, ice- and lightning-elemental; hammer), Qilin Blade (WP:15, damages undead, ignores row and SP; longsword), Cysgodion (WP:14, darkness-elemental; greatsword), Dryw ar Zoot (WP:14, light-elemental; longsword), Cryfder (WP:6),Party Maracas (WP:4, user is hastened, instrument), Rebel's Dagger (WP: 5), 2 Shackles of War (prevents all fleeing, accessory), Red Dragon Plume (artifact, accessory, immunity to Weakened and Fire, suitable to Barbarians, Knights, Skirmishers, Winged Warriors), King's Crown (Headwear, protects against Doom and Petrified, Suitable for all classes), Scroll of Sleep, Tiger Balm, Elixir, 2 Phoenix Essences, 5 Venoms, 2 Deadly Venoms, 3 Meads, 2 Smelling Salts, Nostrum, Soma, Deadly Venom, Smoke Bomb, Bright Polish, Aquamarine Lamp of Summoning, Mod Rod (WP:10, causes the afraid-effect; lightning-elemental staff suitable for staff members only). Mulled Wine, 3 Potions, 3 Remedies

8446391115_66a502300b_t.jpg

Nerwen Calmcacil (played by Chromeknight)

Level 23.66 Paladin
*Immune to Sealed*
*Restoration*

Power bonus:

Defense:

Health:
41/41

Ether:
34/34

Gold:

Equipment:
Magical Staff (WP: 15;
Water
Darkness
-elemental; staff), Robe of the Archmagi (SP:3; Max Ether +5; Immune to
Sealed
; bodywear), Seal of the Warrior Priestess (Accessory, Suitable for Paladins, At the beginning of the battle the user has a 1/6 chance to be Transcended, a 1/6 chance to be Blessed, and a 1/6 chance to be Inspired), Shield of the Red Lizard (SP: 2, Immune to Blind)

Inventory:
Mourning Star (WP: 10;
Fire
-elemental; inflicts
Fragile
-effect; mace), Bent Crowbar (WP: 8; 3x damage to Mechanic enemies; hammer), Axe of the Minotaur Champion (WP: 30; user is
Slowed
and
Immune to Hastened
; cannot be equipped at the same time as a shield; axe)

White Cloak (Max HP +3; backwear), Crocodile Handbag (Max Ether +2; Immune to
Water
; accessory)

Opal
Topaz
Diamond
Garnet
Sapphire
Emerald

Scroll of Sleep, Scroll of Sealing, Scroll of Blindness, Scroll of Weakening, Scroll of Fragile, Scroll of Confusion

Grand Tonics (4), Potions (3), Elixirs (3), Remedies (5), Potion, Phoenix Essences (2), Phoenix Incense, Tiger Balm, Neutralizers (2), Essence of Sorrow (50% assassination chance on non-immune target), Venom, Fire Bombs (2), Ice Bombs (2), Lightning Bombs (2), Water Bombs (2), Dirt Bombs (2), Air Bombs (2), Bone, Milk (restores 15 HP and 15 Ether), Carrot (restores 5 HP, 10 to rabbits), Bright Polish, Double Rainbow, Ether Core, Copy of Eubric herald (inspired and transcended, one battle), Grand potion, Phoenix Essence, Venom

Shovel, Bedroll, Magnifying Glass

ava-jess.jpg

Jess Islanti (Sisco)

Level 19.5 Assassin
*Immune to Weakened Effect*

Power
: 37 (+4)
(19+14+2+2)

Health
: 1/31 (+1)
(7+18+5+1)

Gold
: 41

Equipment
: Blohdhurm (WP: 14)(Fire elemental, Permanently Poisoned), Pugilist's Gloves (+2 to Power, immune to the Weakened Effect), Medal of Honor (Accessory, User Gains Triple Experience)

Inventory
: 2 Venoms, 2 Meads, 3 Grand Potions,
Dragonfire Stew (Gives the consumer the
encouraged
and
inspired
effects for the duration of one battle), Mulled Wine, 11 Potions, 11 Remedies, 4 Phoenix Essences, 5 Flame-Distilled Brandy
Edited by Zepher

Zepher, please note that I should now have 11 potions, 11 remedies, 4 phoenix essences, and 5 flame-distilled brandies. I should also have the Medal of Honor equipped, and I should be down to 41 gold.

Jess turned to address Hamilton.

"That depends on what your definition of "real combat" is. Monsters? I've slayed many. People? I've killed a few. Armies? Not really."

OoC: Damn, knew I'd forget something, fixed! Also, you have had experience fighting armies... the one other time I hosted you. :poke:

"I mean an army against an army. It can get pretty nasty. I know you heroes operate in small groups - armies are different. Lots of blood, lots of gore. Long battles - you can get tired easily. And even if you yourself are doing well, it doesn't mean that the battle is won. It's hard, sometimes, to see the big picture when you've got only your eyes to rely on."

"It's true. My son could take a lesson in that. Not the best at a whole picture sort of deal. The point of a battle is to be victorious - doesn't always mean killing the most enemies. Sometimes it doesn't even mean swinging a sword."

"Oh, I've fought direwolves and dryads, the undead, at least two armies if I recall rightly, maybe three... It was a little confusing." The berserker shrugged, "In the end it was a case of hit what was trying to kill me. Oh, I've fought chaos beasts a shard of Ennoc himself and lately the 108 bandits. I personally slew their leader." She grinned. "Let's see what this place brings eh?"

"Gore sounds fun. I can do some neat tricks." He bares his arm and then flexes it, causing olive green scales to appear to grow and shine off the dim light. He grins wickedly.

OoC: I drank a grand potion.

The first thing the party notices about Nerwen is her hair is now a striking white-blonde (New picture soon!) and the second, for those that look closer, is a certain way she carries herself. Beyond her usual elvish poise and certainty, bordering on arrogance, she has clearly had an real and meaningful experience of something transcendent.

She smiles warmly as she joins the party.

Jess you have been fighting? Let me help.

Nerwen heals Jess then fastens her white cloak around her shoulders, keeping it drawn close so not to be unbalanced by the wind flapping it about.

Speaking to the General she says

I have done much in my time. But last year I was one of a large number of heroes fighting room to room in the palace of Dastan. Keeping track of who was where, how they were doing and what they were facing was a major task. Though we lost no heroes that day, sadly, some of those we were charged to protect fell.

Edited by Chromeknight

"Well well. Looks like we've got a holy warrior on our side." Benji said smartly, smirking.

"Oh lords and ladies of the pantheon we've got an Ennoc-botherer." Tesni muttered. The path was not light or darkness but shades up in the mountains.

The heroes continue to sail as they talk, passing by one of the supports for the bridge, built carefully onto a small island of rock in the river. It seems that they are angling in towards it, so that they'd be able to make port at the foot of the Orcish side.

76ef2ba7-61bf-4e13-b637-f49abd913d91_zpse6b2b169.jpg

King Speros nods respectfully to his man, he salutes back. General Hamilton continues his conversation with the heroes.

"Sounds like you're pretty accomplished," he says with a grin. "I can't say that I recognize the name of all those deeds - I've heard of Dastan, but we don't have the much contact, and demons and bandits run everywhere though I don't know any specific bands of either. We do know of Heroica, of course. I'd glad to be serving alongside such a noble organization."

"Why don't you tell them how many battles you've seen, General," says Speros with a small smirk. General Hamilton turns red.

"I myself have only seen a skirmish or two. Luckily, until recently, the Orcs and the Kingdoms have stayed mostly separate, and we don't have much coast for the Nords to raid. Valentino trusted me enough to make me General, though. I hope to prove myself to him and to you, heroes."

"Don't get overly ambitious."

Hamilton does his best to keep his composure.

"I won't. I understand what you say. The word is as powerful as the sword."

"And the sword is as powerful as the word. Just have to learn when to use what."

There is a sudden grating sound... and everyone looks down at their boat. It is one of the men at arms on Spero's boat that gasps - and glancing over the heroes can see why. The boat is already dipping down deep into the water on one side.

"Damn! Must have hit a rock. Quickly, heroes, take on a man or two."

"An orderly line, men."

Hamilton starts to paddle his boat towards the sinking one as the soldiers scrabble to board any boat that is coming to their rescue. What will the heroes do?

"Would it be acceptable to take a swim in the brine, General?"

"Um, no rope but if I ask nicely Mellt will freeze the water instead of running lightning through it..."

Hoke catches Nerwen's Opal and retrieves his own. He grips them tightly in his gloved hands and bows his head in concentration, doing his best to focus his energies and freeze the waters around the sinking boat.

"Would it be acceptable to take a swim in the brine, General?"

"You do what you see best," the General says in response.

The ice around the boat (-2 ether) is enough to make it float, and the General and the other rowboat are able to take on the King and his few soldiers relatively easily. The journey continues.

"Rotten damn luck."

"It's why we always travel with a little extra room in each boat. Just in case." General Hamilton smiles at the heroes. "Sorry, it must seem boring to you veterans, but it's always a little bit of excitement for us when a boat snags a rock."

"Bit too much excitement," grumbles the King as he tries to dry his pants.

"You're just grumpy that your boat was the one sinking. If I'd been going under, you'd be having a good old laugh now."

A smile flickers across Speros' face before disappearing quickly.

"Possibly."

Edited by Zepher