Tkavan01

LEGO Mindstorms and Robotics General Discussion

When you click on the link in my reply, it'll bring you to a part that is called "rechargeable battery". this is part of the EV3 press release, so I'm assuming it's for the EV3 kit :wink:

Hmmm the link was not visible earlier?!

That's like the rechargeable battery for the current NXT, which is not part of the default configuration.

And a first movie:

Shut up and take my money! :laugh:

Edited by Gekke Ted

The color scheme is definitely growing on me! Great thing about this color scheme is that you can use your abundant collection of black parts :thumbup:

The snake is pretty awesome!

Edited by Gekke Ted

Oh, darn it all. I'll have to add this to my list of must-haves. My wallet isn't happy in the slightest...

I am though :grin:

EDIT: You can really see the styling differences between 2.0 and EV3. It seems like Lego is following in the footsteps of car manufacturers and going for a more angled, blocky look.

Edited by Phoxtane

Don't think so.. Only difference is the US sensor IMO..

And what about the sensor with the arrows?

I'm kinda bummed about the sample rate for the data logger, 200ms sample rate isn't that great, I want to take it apart now and se what they built it with. I build embedded low power wireless sensor networks for a living so to me at that price you can do a lot of things... Can't wait to see it!

Yes, that would be an extra sensor.. My bad :)

No problem. Our speculation is still mostly based on pictures :wink:

Very nice out of box models and color schema. Better than previous one.

The models are quite nice indeed!

Although I still wonder why they didn't create a "main/flagship" model for this unit, with 4 motors, just to showcase this unit has an extra motor port. The costs for an extra medium motor are not that high, compared to the overall price. Or am I underestimating it?

Edited by Gekke Ted

Ok, I'm going to ask the dumb question. Where are these classrooms? I envy these kids!!! They of course had nothing like this in the '90s when I was in school, but I wonder how far this will expand and if my kids will have a chance to learn using Lego NXT's.

Ok, I'm going to ask the dumb question. Where are these classrooms? I envy these kids!!! They of course had nothing like this in the '90s when I was in school, but I wonder how far this will expand and if my kids will have a chance to learn using Lego NXT's.

It wasn't around when I was a kid (obviously), but nowadays the schools in my village are participating in the FLL every year. And they are pretty good at it. So the schools can be right around the corner :wink:

It pretty much depends on which school they are attending. My perception is that in the US of A there are more schools using NXT's than in The Netherlands (percentage wise), but I could be completely wrong. Maybe JopieK has more information than I do.

PS I really envy the kids who are using the EV3 as we speak :devil:

Edited by Gekke Ted

Although I still wonder why they didn't create a "main/flagship" model for this unit, with 4 motors, just to showcase this unit has an extra motor port. The costs for an extra medium motor are not that high, compared to the overall price. Or am I underestimating it?

If one motor adds 7-10% extra price, it may be significant increase, comparing to added playability. With extra other needed parts to integrate the motor plus more complex building instructions, it may be 15% more. This is again supposed to be a toy so they make a price/playability compromise.

If one motor adds 7-10% extra price, it may be significant increase, comparing to added playability. With extra other needed parts to integrate the motor plus more complex building instructions, it may be 15% more. This is again supposed to be a toy so they make a price/playability compromise.

Can't argue with that. And every other robot will do fine with three or two motors, so there's probably little to gain.

Although I still wonder why they didn't create a "main/flagship" model for this unit, with 4 motors, just to showcase this unit has an extra motor port.

with an all new extension set you can build some ultimate cool models, like this Elephant and a spinning factory, also a whole range of Stem models.

I guess the extension set will contain an additional motor, and maybe more sensors?

Edited by imajor

I wonder whether being iOS compatible means that we'll see a bunch of third-party apps for programming and controlling the EV3, as well as the official one? That would be great and would lead to a ton of innovative new interfaces I suspect.

Also, does anyone know if the EV3 is likely to be compatible with the PF motors and the existing third-party NXT sensors, like the ones from HiTechnic?

I guess the extension set will contain an additional motor, and maybe more sensors?

You might very well be right! Well noticed :thumbup:

There goes another 30/50/70/90 euros :laugh:

I wonder whether being iOS compatible means that we'll see a bunch of third-party apps for programming and controlling the EV3, as well as the official one? That would be great and would lead to a ton of innovative new interfaces I suspect.

My thoughts exactly. This will spawn a variety of iOS apps. Not sure about an official one though.

Also, does anyone know if the EV3 is likely to be compatible with the PF motors and the existing third-party NXT sensors, like the ones from HiTechnic?

It's backwards compatible with the current NXT, so I guess the PF motors will also still work.

It would be awesome it the panels are printed instead of applying stickers. They look so great, that I am tempted to apply them for the first time in my back-from-the-dark-ages-life.

Looking carefully it seems they are stickered. There a lot of panels with this set btw.

Is the new intelligent brick powered by a rechargable battery?

No, it's optional, like the current NXT.

Oh wow. This is a must buy. What a great year for Lego.

What a terrible year for my bank account :wink:

Edited by Gekke Ted

Wow, this new version looks nice. I might actually get this iteration, seeing as it looks so awesome and uses modern parts. Too bad the retail set probably won't include those exclusive blue Hero Factory parts (those "wheels" and those "explosions") shown in the education elephant creation. Minor, slightly crazy nitpicking though, seeing as four parts are my only complaint for such a big and technical set!

Edited by DraikNova