thehuuf

What may be posted / not be posted

Hello,

I have a question regarding if I could post the following things on this forum since I don't want to get anybody in trouble. (Sorry about my post about the file format).

All programs will be self made (not all are created but will be for my own purposes)

1. A lif file extractor / viewer
  2. A lif file modified (replace a file inside an existing lif file)
  3. A part viewer (enter lif file, get a list of parts and pick one to view)
  4. A part editor (gif it one of the more common 3d files and import it into lego / eventually with integrated editor)
  5. LDD Sets Importer / Exporter (+ some database to index http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=41226 if given permission of the respective owners + credits in program)
  6. Automatic collision fixer (give it a file, it will find gears and automatically align them correctly)
  7. Enter a model and the sets you have, and see if you can build it

Hi thehuuf,

Since Superkalle and the LDD team are the most qualified to answer your questions, I'm moving this to the appropriate forum. :classic:

Hi thehuuf,

Since Superkalle and the LDD team are the most qualified to answer your questions, I'm moving this to the appropriate forum. :classic:

Thank you, in my hello post they suggest posted it in here. Sorry for that.

Hello,

I have a question regarding if I could post the following things on this forum since I don't want to get anybody in trouble. [...]

Please have a look at the section rules:

• Modify or hack LDD software (include add homemade bricks or decorations)

After long discussions, has been decided that we don't encourage or provide support for that, as this kind of things violates LDD EULA.

So please don't ask how to hack or modify LDD software and don't open new topics about that.

Anyway you can discuss that subject or ask for new features for LDD in the proper topics listed in the

So imho your topics 1-4 surely won't be suitable. And topics 5 and 7 are most likely already covered by the LDD Manager (unless you have something in mind, LDD Manager can't do).

Edited by pbat

I don't know exactly what's allowed and what not. In general things that involve hacking or modifying LDD are not allowed (at least not on EuroBricks). Using or modifying the lxf files is not a problem (as far as I know). However, Superkalle knows what and what's not allowed in a bit more detail, so it's better to wait for his reply.

I also want to note that your point 7 already exists, it's a site called Rebrickable.com :wink:

I can't use the LDD manager because I am not able to view microsoft access files.

My program will be cross compatible with Mono.

There will be only a part of the ldd manager build, the collision detection thing isn't done in the LDD manager.

Thank you for the rebrickable.com website, I am fairly new to the digital lego sets (I've have about 15+ years collection of lego in the netherlands) and I wanted to start online.

Edited by Superkalle
Moved to correct topic

I can't use the LDD manager because I am not able to view microsoft access files.

My program will be cross compatible with Mono.

There will be only a part of the ldd manager build, the collision detection thing isn't done in the LDD manager.

Thank you for the rebrickable.com website, I am fairly new to the digital lego sets (I've have about 15+ years collection of lego in the netherlands) and I wanted to start online.

Aren't you replying in the wrong topic? Because you're referring to my rebrickable recommendation in this topic.

Pleas avoid any confusing things so watch where you post. I'll move your post for this time.

[move done]

Some background first:

The core issue here is that it's illegal and against the LDD EULA (End user license agreement) to reverse engineer, extract, modify or use any part of the LDD software, including brick data and geometries. I'm aware that it's possible to hack the LIF from a technical standpoint, and that there are people out there who have managed to do it. However, to maintain our good relationship with the LDD Team at TLG, it was decided some year ago that we wouldn't allow any discussion about hacking LDD at Eurobricks. The relationship we fans in the Digital Designer forum have with the LDD Team is too valuable to jepardise on some simple hack-talk. They read our forum and we are their main source of issue reports and requests. We are this because we are a serious forum.

So if you ask what is possible to discuss and share here at EB (and most likely at any reputable AFOL site), the answer would be:

1. A lif file extractor / viewer - Not OK

2. A lif file modified (replace a file inside an existing lif file) - Nope

3. A part viewer (enter lif file, get a list of parts and pick one to view) - Njet

4. A part editor (gif it one of the more common 3d files and import it into lego / eventually with integrated editor) - Not allowed for LDD; but OK for Ldraw

5. LDD Sets Importer / Exporter (+ some database to index http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=41226 if given permission of the respective owners + credits in program) - not sure what it implies

6. Automatic collision fixer (give it a file, it will find gears and automatically align them correctly) - not possible since it would require the use of protected LDD brick data

7. Enter a model and the sets you have, and see if you can build it - OK

And even if we did allow hacks, it still wouldn't be all positive. If someone fixes a brick geometry or collision volume, anyone else opening a LXF-file created with that LIF will get those bricks removed. It's much better then to report the bugs to the LDD Team and have them fix it, for the benefit of all. The fact that LXF-files can be opened and shared across all installations is a key "feature" of LDD.

So, what about a tool like LDD2Povray? That tool uses the LDD geometries, right? Well, the simple answer in that case is that Hrontos has approval from the LDD Team to use the geometry data. But on one condition - that the geometries are protected and that's the reason for the virtual encrypted file-system driver that is installed with LDD2PovRay.

Now, what IS allowed on the other hand, is to open and modify LXFs in any possible way since LXFML is an open standard.

Thank you superkalle for the clear explanation

For Number 5 the user could enter an set number, and it would get that set and add it to LDD.

[Edit] I wanted to modify my LIF File Format Topic to remove the data but I can not because the topic is closed can you please remove / edit the content?

Edited by thehuuf

Maybe the point 6 (Automatic collision fixer) is feasible, it could require only the reading and the modify of the lxf file.

Anyway, don't worry if some of the functionalities of your software are already covered by an already existing software.

An alternative is ever welcome.

Maybe the point 6 (Automatic collision fixer) is feasible, it could require only the reading and the modify of the lxf file.

It would be tricky because the LXF-doesn't contain any information about the geometry or collision volume of the bricks, just placement and rotation in the x-y-z space. The only way as I see would then be to "train" the software with correctly placed gears, and then compare with the "problematic" LXF. Could maybe be done, but probably very complex.

It is possible, because you can figure out angles in advance in the lego designer, for certain components, and then just rotate it to those angles, there is only need for comparing lxf files.

For Number 5 the user could enter an set number, and it would get that set and add it to LDD.

I've had the idea for something like this in the back of my mind for some time. Now that Brickset has parts inventories, it should be possible to somehow generate an LDD "filter by box" palette for each set you own that has an inventory available.

I can imagine, that also some software using LDD brick geometries without revealing them could be acceptable for the LDD team.

For example instruction step generator/editor would perfectly fulfill these requirements.

Or some windows shell extension for displaying info about LXF content.

Exporters/converters to some general formats are not acceptable, since they directly reveal TLG's brick geometries which are considered proprietary.

Or some windows shell extension for displaying info about LXF content.

This would be a brilliant thing, and it needs to happen.