ZCerberus

Future The Hobbit Sets?

Are we still going to get one in a regular set?

As far as I know there hasn't been any confirmed news on that yet, either online or from SDCC.

I called LEGO last month and the guy I spoke with said me yes, very soon so for me, it means on next wave.

Edited by N7LEGO

There are 6 SW movies, and a TV series. There are almost 400 LSW sets, I checked brickset.com, and I know lots of them are re-designs, or minisets, but still, there are only 19 LOTR sets out so far, and more then 100 different (not re-designed) sets from SW.

My point is, that there could be a lot more LOTR sets, not only re-designs, but also scenes that are not covered yet, and all the important (and less important, but still very cool) characters can be made in LEGO, we just have to wait a bit longer. The same is for The Hobbit, I am almost sure that all the characters are made in LEGO.

Wrong. Star Wars cannot be a basis for comparison. Not only is Star Wars better targeted at LEGO's core base, but it has a 2 series, multiple video games, and a third series and more movies on the way. LotR and The Hobbit will end LONG before Star Wars. PotC, Indiana Jones and Lone Ranger are probably better indicators than SW ever will be.

Azog has been released as a Comic-Con exclusive.

LEGO-Hobbit-Azog.png

Are we still going to get one in a regular set?

If Azog is from a new mold which to the best of my knowledge he is, then yes absolutely. It would be ludacris for them to spend $50,000 to $80,000 on mold, release 100 exclusive figures and then kill production. If anything the printing will be unique, but even that remains to be seen.

Wrong. Star Wars cannot be a basis for comparison. Not only is Star Wars better targeted at LEGO's core base, but it has a 2 series, multiple video games, and a third series and more movies on the way. LotR and The Hobbit will end LONG before Star Wars. PotC, Indiana Jones and Lone Ranger are probably better indicators than SW ever will be.

It all comes down to sales in the end, but I agree that LotR and The Hobbit will end way before Star Wars. Heck I doubt Star Wars will ever end there is a ridiculous amount of content they can cover and once they do they can just go back and remake sets. I expect one more wave of both Hobbit and LotR sets and after that anything is a bonus.

It all comes down to sales in the end, but I agree that LotR and The Hobbit will end way before Star Wars. Heck I doubt Star Wars will ever end there is a ridiculous amount of content they can cover and once they do they can just go back and remake sets. I expect one more wave of both Hobbit and LotR sets and after that anything is a bonus.

Harry Potter is probably the best and most optimistic comparison we can hope for with LotR/ Hobbit sets. The fact is Star Wars is a merchandising juggernaut and has been for 30+ years. Lord if the Rings, while having a broad loyal fan base, simply is not anywhere near that scale.

Ya, I think Harry Potter is a good comparison for LotR/Hobbit. It should definetly get more sets than properties like the Lone Ranger or Indian Jones, but thinking it will get any where near as many as The Star Wars theme is probably wishful thinking. It is somewhere in between all these licenses.

I agree that Harry Potter is probably the best to compare LotR/Hobbit, but HP had eight movies and [unfortunately] the sets disappeared with the last movie. Granted, it had a bigger final wave as a send off I guess, so, imo, the best we can hope for is a larger LotR wave, possibly in 2015 to line up with the release of The Hobbit Bo5A dvd release, if we're lucky. But I sincerely hope I am proven wrong!

As for Smaug, I don't think a mold would do his size justice (what's the biggest mold we've seen?), but I would be more than happy with a combined molded/brick built Smaug: Molded head and wings, with a brick built body to give him more substance and hopefully make him bigger! And that way, he wouldn't need a massive set around him for Lego to justify the price of the huge mold if they went for an entirely molded Smaug, the more of him that's brick built the more he can be his own set. But I wouldn't say no to a massive treasure room for him to go in, either :grin:

I agree that Harry Potter is probably the best to compare LotR/Hobbit, but HP had eight movies and [unfortunately] the sets disappeared with the last movie. Granted, it had a bigger final wave as a send off I guess, so, imo, the best we can hope for is a larger LotR wave, possibly in 2015 to line up with the release of The Hobbit Bo5A dvd release, if we're lucky. But I sincerely hope I am proven wrong!

As for Smaug, I don't think a mold would do his size justice (what's the biggest mold we've seen?), but I would be more than happy with a combined molded/brick built Smaug: Molded head and wings, with a brick built body to give him more substance and hopefully make him bigger! And that way, he wouldn't need a massive set around him for Lego to justify the price of the huge mold if they went for an entirely molded Smaug, the more of him that's brick built the more he can be his own set. But I wouldn't say no to a massive treasure room for him to go in, either :grin:

If I'm honest I was highly underwhelmed by their lack of good deathly hallows sets. The final year of harry potter Lego was abysmal considering how good the 2010 range was. The tower and bridge thing was a decent add on but was unnecessary and had no new designs only redesigns. Plus for the battle of Hogwarts there was practically no sets. After seeing what they did in the video game 5-7 with character designs for hallows and with the story. It really makes the harry in uniform figures look terrible. A missed opportunity the 2011 line for harry potter 7 part 2 considering it was such a large movie. Heck the lone ranger sets were better and had more and that film was hardly anticipated and bombed.

On the matter at hand I'd say smaug would be moulded like the castle ones but with some brick built parts. A bit like the horntail but much larger. Boga the lizard in star wars had a lot of moulding but some brick built parts too. If you look at the size of Bilbo figure and the size of the largest new T rex's I'd say that sort of size head and maybe body would be perfect.

Edited by legofreak86

I would be very disappointed in a T-rex size smaug. The head might be molded but the rest shouldn't be. :sceptic: . I have a feeling LEGO will surprise us.

I would be very disappointed in a T-rex size smaug. The head might be molded but the rest shouldn't be. :sceptic: . I have a feeling LEGO will surprise us.

Take into consideration how lego fiddles with scale

How incredibly huge the t-rex is

How a lego hobbit is really bigger than it should be.

Compared to a man/normal minifigure the t-rex is big enough for the size of smaug in lego form.

Take into consideration how lego fiddles with scale

I know, I'd just be really disappointed. I'd much rather have a Ninjago type, but it'd have to so much more detailed than them.

That T-Rex isn't so bad after looking at pics and vids. It has a great scale when compared to minifigs. I could imagine a Smaug slightly larger than the T-Rex with longer arms of course and some brikbuilt wings and other pieces. It is no where the actual size of Smaug relative to people size but nothing in Lego is supposed to be realistically or accurately proportioned.

I too think that Smaug will be built like the Ninjago dragons, if he is made. I think the T-Rex is far too small, but I think they would just need molded head and wings to make an impressive $30-$40 Smaug, which they could add figs and some background pieces to for a $60-$100 set.

Well, if that is the head of Smaug, how big is he in reallife??? He must be a freaking giant! I know Smaug is big, but now I see this, he must be even bigger then I thought!

This guy made a rather good Smaug-head:

Smaug-head aside, that trailer was amazing! o_o

Edited by Ecclesiastes
No need to quote the video as well.

Brotherhood workshop make great Middle Earth videos...

I just spent an hour watching all the Brotherhood workshop vids, then proceeded to watch Star Wars lego scenes recreating the best light saber duels.

I almost want to make my own custom Thranduil but I am 85% certain that lego will make a Thranduil mini fig, he is just too important!

I hope they do, they could possibly get away with recolouring Elrond/Arwen's hair so it wouldn't be that hard for them...

I wonder based on the heavy elf centric advertising for DoS, maybe most of the lego sets will be as well. We already have the revealed Dol Guldur battle and Mirkwood Elf army, the missing set could be a small one with Thranduil on his throne questioning Thorin. Based on the set for Wizard battle, Lego group could easily make a ~200 piece set with the concentric pillars, throne and leading steps. It would include two mini figs just like Wizard battle and based on the trailer and vblog, the scene where Thorin is brought before Thranduil seems to be one of confrontation and heavy emotions. I don't know what the action feature would be I admit.

I wonder based on the heavy elf centric advertising for DoS, maybe most of the lego sets will be as well. We already have the revealed Dol Guldur battle and Mirkwood Elf army, the missing set could be a small one with Thranduil on his throne questioning Thorin. Based on the set for Wizard battle, Lego group could easily make a ~200 piece set with the concentric pillars, throne and leading steps. It would include two mini figs just like Wizard battle and based on the trailer and vblog, the scene where Thorin is brought before Thranduil seems to be one of confrontation and heavy emotions. I don't know what the action feature would be I admit.

If there is another store exclusive set that could be elf based, Though that would be a bit curious since last year the barrel escape was store exclusive aswell(right?)

As people have pointed out in the line of lotr/hobbit set numbers theres one missing still.

It's interesting how relatively little we know about the sets, seeing as we don't know that much about the movie either.

It's quite frustrating as not knowing the film, we can't guess the sets; and not knowing the sets, we can't guess the film !!!!

It's quite frustrating as not knowing the film, we can't guess the sets; and not knowing the sets, we can't guess the film !!!!

Atleast october is inching ever closer! And a new movie video blog should come out soon, It's kindof on overtime, he said they'd release one soon after filming ended, and it's soon been a month.

Maybe we'll get a new trailer soon aswell? and there was some talk that he might show some footage at some event, seeing as they didn't do comic con maybe it's time they release something!

They have got to release some dol guldur footage in marketing before the release surely, if it's whats being focused on with merchandising and lego sets.

If the set list is correct it's understandable they showed off lake town at comic con though, since dol guldur stuff is still relatively secret and unknown.

Yeah, I was wondering what will happen in the third Hobbit film since this upcoming one is The Desolation of Smaug. What happens afterward? What will Lego do for it?

Edited by Lego Spy