Erdbeereis

LEGO Star Wars 2014 Pictures and Rumors

Oh, please be real. I missed out on Malgus, so this is my chance to get in on TOR Sith.

Does white Boba or Shadow Arf not count as EU. I read a book with Revan in and it really was great. Cannot wait for one of these bad boys... hopefully.

Those characters are from the movies, just different colors. Revan is totally EU.

I'm not arguing against having Revan as the promo fig, I think that would be pretty cool, I'm just not convinced TLG is going this direction.

I'd say Shadows of the Empire is loved more. Thrawn Trilogy probably as well.

This long-time fan is much, much more fond of the Thrawn trilogy than Shadows of the Empire, actually, and I suspect the same is true for most other fans who've read both, but granted, it's not as though I've polled people on it or anything.

I'm sure this Darth Revan selection tickles some, and I'm happy for them, though stuff from that particular realm of the canon isn't of much interest to me. I imagine I'll still wind up getting at least one of these anyway, though, with my own May the Fourth purchase(s).

I can see why the choice is viewed as questionable. However you have to understand that KOTOR is largely thought of as the BEST Star Wars outside of the original trilogy, story wise. Seriouisly, most of the EU in Star Wars is crap. KOTOR's story is not one of them (gameplay is pretty aged at this point though).

I mean you can just see the respect for KOTOR when the Clone Wars wanted to have Revan and Malak appear on it. I don't think it would be bad to say that KOTOR is held higher than the prequels, ignoring numbers (obviously it hasn't had as many people experience the story but I'd 100% bet that it's considerably more well loved within it's smaller fanbase).

If ANY of the EU was made canon, KOTOR would be the first thing 98% of people who know it would support. It's closer to "Star Wars" than almost the rest of the entire EU and prequels.

I'd say Shadows of the Empire is loved more. Thrawn Trilogy probably as well.

This long-time fan is much, much more fond of the Thrawn trilogy than Shadows of the Empire, actually, and I suspect the same is true for most other fans who've read both, but granted, it's not as though I've polled people on it or anything.

I'm also in the "Thrawn Trilogy over Shadows of the Empire, both much preferred over Knights of the Old Republic" camp.

My way of looking at it: If you ran a poll asking people which exclusive minifigure they'd rather have, and the choices were, say, Darth Revan, Bastilla Shan, Mara Jade, and Grand Admiral Thrawn, who'd win? By which I don't mean to start a "What minifig do you want?" discussion — it's a rhetorical question; I merely mean to illustrate the main reason I find Revan to be an odd choice of all the EU characters that could've been picked.

I've read absolutely zero EU books and played zero UE games, and even I know the answer is Mara Jade.

I don't know which series is more popular based on that, but I know she'd win.

Edited by rollermonkey

Although I have not read much into the EU, looking (googling) at all the characters you mentioned Brickdoctor, I'd most definitely have chosen Darth Revan. I love the sith minifigs as they always look excellently done, highly detailed, menacing, and just completely different than something that looks like its had a few torso/leg/head swaps to make a new character. I personally find the sith characters to be exceptionally unique, while the Jedi minifigs to 'just' be unique...

Now if it was which character would I prefer a poster on my bedroom wall of... that would change it completely to either Mara Jade or Bastilla Shan :blush:

Edited by Fuppylodders

Although I have not read much into the EU, looking (googling) at all the characters you mentioned Brickdoctor, I'd most definitely have chosen Darth Revan. I love the sith minifigs as they always look excellently done, highly detailed, menacing, and just completely different than something that looks like its had a few torso/leg/head swaps to make a new character. I personally find the sith characters to be exceptionally unique, while the Jedi minifigs to 'just' be unique...

Fair enough. :classic: I know what you mean, and the choice based on personal aesthetic preference makes sense if you don't have much experience with any of the characters. But ignoring the usefulness of pieces, based on which choice would appeal to more people because it's a character they want, I still find Revan to be an odd choice next to the Maras and Thrawns of the EU.

For thoses of us who know nothing about EU, where along the time line does Darth Revan fall?

Roughly four thousand years before the events of the Original Trilogy.

I've read absolutely zero EU books and played zero UE games, and even I know the answer is Mara Jade.

I don't know which series is more popular based on that, but I know she'd win.

With all due respect I don't think that's a call you can make if you've never read or played the Expanded Universe content, its just a character your more than likely familiar with however it isn't necessarily who fans of the EU would choose. Mara has won fans favourites and been made into figures through Hasbro, although two of the most expensive in the last 10 years are actually Revan and Malak from the 30th Anniversary Collection.

There are points to be made for all and remember they actually cover different era's from one another.

For those curious about Revan, there was a book brought out 18 months ago title Revan, its an Old Republic book.

Edited by Darth Malgus

although two of the most expensive in the last 10 years are actually Revan and Malak from the 30th Anniversary Collection.

"More expensive figurine" doesn't mean "more popular"; it just means that the maker decided to limit the availability or use certain materials or in a certain size or market or package or otherwise make the product seem to be worth more money.

actually they were packed 1 per case (case being 12 figures) I think this was the wave assortment Courtesy of Yakface:

29: Hermi Odle

30: C-3PO w/Salacious Crumb

31: Roron Corobb (Jedi Knight)

32: Yoda & Kybuck (Jedi Master)

33: Anakin Skywalker (Clone Wars)

34: Darth Revan (Sith Lord)

35: Darth Malak (Sith Lord)

36: Pre-Cyborg Grievous

37: Starkiller Hero (McQuarrie Concept)

They became popular as most people wanted more than 1 and that drove the secondary price market up.

As a wave on the whole it became rather collector driven, prices are set based upon what people will pay. I have these figures and was lucky enough to only pay a reasonable amount for Malak.

There is a certain level of snobbery also associated in the EU, Some of the core characters in no particualr preference are Darth Revan, Malak, Bane, Malgus Nihlius, Mara Jade, Grand Admiral Thrawn, Ysanne Issard, Coran Horn, Nom Anor, Bastila Shaan, Satele Shan, Jace Malcolm, Canderous Ordo, Rukh, Emperor... Lots of these would be welcomed by most EU fans.

Personally from an EU perspective I'm Glad to get someone as important as Revan to round out the collection, it was a shame we only got Malgus in the TOR set releases.

Edited by Darth Malgus

actually they were packed 1 per case (case being 12 figures) I think this was the wave assortment Courtesy of Yakface:

[...]

They became popular as most people wanted more than 1 and that drove the secondary price market up.

The other exclusive figures listed there are an OT character, a background OT character, four CW characters, and a concept art character — not exactly a comparison of Revan and Malgus to the rest of the EU.

With all due respect I don't think that's a call you can make if you've never read or played the Expanded Universe content, its just a character your more than likely familiar with however it isn't necessarily who fans of the EU would choose. Mara has won fans favourites and been made into figures through Hasbro, although two of the most expensive in the last 10 years are actually Revan and Malak from the 30th Anniversary Collection.

There are points to be made for all and remember they actually cover different era's from one another.

For those curious about Revan, there was a book brought out 18 months ago title Revan, its an Old Republic book.

See, that awareness of a character, despite having to go look at Wookieepedia to find out who she is, speaks volumes.

(And now that I do know... Holy crap, I didn't know who she was?)

There's a list of 85 canonical appearances for Mara Jade

Darth Revan - 35 canonical appearances

Bastila Shan - 9 canonical appearances

Darth Malak - 38 canonical appearances

So... Either she's more popular than you think, or they are trying to jam her down everybody's throat for some weird reason.

Having never heard of the other three makes me think they are less important, less popular, or both.

Don't get me wrong, I totally accept that just because she's shown up more doesn't automatically mean she's more popular (Darth Maul was WAY more popular then annoying Binks, but they brought JJB back anyways. I think EU writers are way more in tune to character popularity than Lucas has shown himself to be.)

But, c'mon. If she wasn't popular, they wouldn't bring her back into the story at least three times as often as the others. Would they?

...and if this is a real minifig, and not somebody's wishful thinking / hoax, he's definitely a very cool looking figure. I'd get one for sure.

Edited by rollermonkey

Mara Jade first appeared 20 years ago in the Hand Of Thrawn Trilogy double the time that Revan and Malak have been given when you look at their first involvement being a game. So when you compare them its comporable to asess that they have rather similar size appeal, all this considering Mara Jade was a protagonist to luke, married luke and featured throughout 3 very long series of novellia. I'd say that given the little exposure both Revan and Malak shared they have stood equal to Mara Jade.

As for the wave that I showed above, at the time they were released they wave was actually labelled an Expanded Universe wave.

From my quick skim, I think Mara gets the edge for another reason:

She's been an Emperor's Hand, a Jedi and a smuggler... So at various points, she's pretty much had the opportunity to appeal to just about every type of SW fan...

As for the wave that I showed above, at the time they were released they wave was actually labelled an Expanded Universe wave.

Hasbro can label it whatever they want to; it's still not a comparison of all the major areas of the EU.

Mara Jade first appeared 20 years ago in the Hand Of Thrawn Trilogy double the time that Revan and Malak have been given when you look at their first involvement being a game. So when you compare them its comporable to asess that they have rather similar size appeal, all this considering Mara Jade was a protagonist to luke, married luke and featured throughout 3 very long series of novellia. I'd say that given the little exposure both Revan and Malak shared they have stood equal to Mara Jade.

Even assuming that you're right and any difference in popularity is in fact based solely upon amount of time since introduction, if we assume that the characters are otherwise equal in all aspects, then the mere fact that other characters have been around longer and in more publications than Revan makes them better choices for an EU LEGO minifig.

See, that awareness of a character, despite having to go look at Wookieepedia to find out who she is, speaks volumes.

So... Either she's more popular than you think....

Having never heard of the other three makes me think they are less important, less popular, or both.

DEspite not following EU, I knew of mara jade long before revan. That doesnt make her more popular choice or whatever, it only means I played world of warcraft and got to know someone whos character name was marajade but didnt bump into someone called revan. Im pretty surw I could search the list of names of characters on my realm and find a revan/darthrevan too. Awareness speaks no volumes as it can all be coincidencial luck about situation and timing too. Had I not done a certain dungeon at a certain time, id probably not have bumped into them and therefore have no knowledge. Its not just about pure awareness.

OK, so last night i met up with my friend who has close ties with someone who works for Lego. For obvious reasons he cant tell me concrete details but I did ask him about current rumours.

1. Darth Revan is not the May 4th Figure, he wouldnt confirm if the actual figure we have seen is a fake but said it will not be the May 4th figure. He wouldnt tell me what is though.

2. Was very coy when I quizzed him about the re-release of a UCS Falcon

3. Star Wars episode 7 sets will be released in 2015 and early work/designs have been discussed including what characters will be included. Characters from the original trilogy have been confirmed over an above the three main ones we all know will be in the new film. Again no mention of who but could it be Lando, Admiral Akbar, Chewie?, etc.

Could be all a load of bull so I come on here and put you all off the scent!

Cannot argue with the logic of her as a choice for the minifig based on time spent as a charcter outside the film not too sure LFL would like to see her around with all likelyhood of her appearing or being referred to possibly in EP7.

Not sure I agree with your point of view Brickdoctor on the break down of the wave, pretty sure Tartekovsky costituted EU in the that time, pretty sure LeeLand Chee said years ago it wasn't G level cannon (basically EU) McQuarrie concept is EU!

As for Mara Jade being the Emperor's hand thrawn referred to her as one of many so I'd say she was a. Special foot soldier effectively.

Revan was a jedi General who turned against them, was brought back into the fold and then saved the republic with a personal sacrifice. I'd say their significance cancels each other out.

Personally I'd be as happy if it were Mara but more than rapt its Revan, Thrawn would've been cool too!

If a UCS Falcon is released will it drop the price of the System Scale Falcon currently at $130?

I'm thinking about buying the Falcon without the Minifigs since Luke and Ben will be in the Cantina and Chewie is outdated and I have 2 Hans.

OK, so last night i met up with my friend who has close ties with someone who works for Lego. For obvious reasons he cant tell me concrete details but I did ask him about current rumours.

1. Darth Revan is not the May 4th Figure, he wouldnt confirm if the actual figure we have seen is a fake but said it will not be the May 4th figure. He wouldnt tell me what is though.

2. Was very coy when I quizzed him about the re-release of a UCS Falcon

3. Star Wars episode 7 sets will be released in 2015 and early work/designs have been discussed including what characters will be included. Characters from the original trilogy have been confirmed over an above the three main ones we all know will be in the new film. Again no mention of who but could it be Lando, Admiral Akbar, Chewie?, etc.

Could be all a load of bull so I come on here and put you all off the scent!

I almost hope so, means another chance at another character, as well as the hopefully-not-faked Darth Revan!

Almost had a heartattack ... Darth Revan! :grin_wub:. I hope it's not a fake

I'm a huge KotOR/SWTOR Fan :sweet:

Well... assuming this is all legit, it could be that Darth Revan was chosen over someone like Mara Jade because LEGO's target audience - not just Star Wars fans, remember, but young ones - is going to be more familiar with him than her. Mara Jade originated with three adult novels published 20 years ago (gaahhhh, just typing that makes me wince at my age), and I doubt most kids half that age are going to have read them. But a bunch of much more recent videogames? I think that alone might tilt things towards Revan and away from Jade, even if greater Star Wars fandom skews more adult.

That said, just to add one last anecdotal note to the discussion of Mara Jade's popularity among fans, many years ago the Star Wars Insider polled the readership to determine fans' favorite characters, and published a list of the top 20 (this would be in the early / mid-'90s, when there wasn't nearly as much SW lore from to draw, granted, but there was still plenty). Mara Jade was the only character originating outside the films to make the list. (Granted also, Darth Revan wouldn't even have been created back then...)

Back to LEGO's plans for the franchise for 2014... if this minifigure isn't for May the Fourth, as Darth Mallet indicates, then what will we get, I wonder?