Erdbeereis

LEGO Star Wars 2014 Pictures and Rumors

Saw the new SW BPs at a local toy store this evening. They looked awesome but at 16,99 €, I couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger. With the exchange rate, that comes out to roughly $21.75 USD. I'll just wait until these sets are available at US retail to purchase them. Not quite 2:1 but I can build an army for significantly cheaper.

(even though it is a pathetic half finished attempt).

To be fair, everything we've seen so far is supposed to be half-finished.

Exactly! There's a key word here with these pictures: Preliminary. The set should be innocent until proven guilty! :wink:

Edited by Lego Spy

The thing that seems to be forgotten about prelims is that, unless there are new elements being developed for the set, the build itself should for the most part be final. Only slight changes (piece colour, small pieces could be changed) are likely to be made between the prelims and the final released product.

It's in the figs that we see the most change. So yes, it's wise to be wary of these images and not feel like they've missed a ton, but on the same token it's not realistic to believe that these prelim versions will have massive overhauls before release. For the most part, the sets themselves are complete.

The thing that seems to be forgotten about prelims is that, unless there are new elements being developed for the set, the build itself should for the most part be final. Only slight changes (piece colour, small pieces could be changed) are likely to be made between the prelims and the final released product.

It's in the figs that we see the most change. So yes, it's wise to be wary of these images and not feel like they've missed a ton, but on the same token it's not realistic to believe that these prelim versions will have massive overhauls before release. For the most part, the sets themselves are complete.

True, though it seems like the last 10 pages or so have been about which minifigures will be included in the cantina.

Edited by Lego Spy

Anyone old enough to remember the original kenner figures will recall walrus man, hammerhead and snaggletooth. I think this is part of the reason why people want these characters in Lego form, because in addition to Greedo these three came out very early on in the Kenner line and many people had them as kids.

Ha ha, along with Vader, Hammerhead was the only other Kenner figure I owned as a child, which is why I'll need to either BL or buy the set with that Hammerhead Jedi dude in it (I'm sure it's a coincidence that that particular mold gets released at the same time as the cantina).

Ever since this conversation began I've been thinking that Ponda Baba would be an unlikely addition to the Cantina - how many parents are going to want to buy their kids a toy that they can reenact an old wizard maiming some guy (GBH) and a space pirate committing manslaughter with?

Ever since this conversation began I've been thinking that Ponda Baba would be an unlikely addition to the Cantina - how many parents are going to want to buy their kids a toy that they can reenact an old wizard maiming some guy (GBH) and a space pirate committing manslaughter with?

I think this criticism about Ponda only existing to be maimed is plain ridiculous. It's Star Wars! Toy companies have been making action figures of Ponda for decades, without issue. He's a memorable character because he harasses Luke, which is one of Luke's first interactions with people from outside his own little farmboy life. This scene has significance to the story, and Ponda became infamous because of it.

Plus, going by this logic, LEGO shouldn't make Darth Maul because he gets cut in half, Qui-Gon gets stabbed, Anakin gets maimed and burnt like bacon! If LEGO avoided every reference to violence, we wouldn't have LEGO Star Wars.

Ponda is likely going to appear because fans and kids will recognize him, and thus will want to buy the set because of his collectibility.

It wasn't a criticism, and I was half joking so perhaps I should have used this :grin: . BUT I wouldn't be surprised if that's something TLG need to take into account when producing a set like this. Don't forget that unlike the other events you have mentioned, these criminal acts take place in an environment depicting the drinking of intoxicating liquor and drug use.

Exactly! There's a key word here with these pictures: Preliminary. The set should be innocent until proven guilty! :wink:

You're quite right. Maybe my judgement was biased based on the old cantina set. I hope my judgement is wrong and lego brings out a set that shows the cantina in its full glory (or as near as they can get to it).

It wasn't a criticism, and I was half joking so perhaps I should have used this :grin: . BUT I wouldn't be surprised if that's something TLG need to take into account when producing a set like this. Don't forget that unlike the other events you have mentioned, these criminal acts take place in an environment depicting the drinking of intoxicating liquor and drug use.

I'm sorry, but I couldn't help but chuckle at this. I don't ever remember seeing Greedo doing some lines in the back of the cantina before approaching Han. It's a kids movie! Sure, there's the suggestion of alcohol and such because it's a bar, but it's never explicitly said or shown.

Also, we've seen a LEGO Cantina before. Plus the Cantina acted as the hub for two of the LEGO SW games! There was never an issue with this worry that the portrayal of alcohol and drugs is too risky. LEGO has a talent of taking more adult themes in films and putting their own childish spin on it.

Sheesh, stop worrying about the kids. They need some dark stuff and violence in their fairytales, because it teaches them about the world not being a happyland and prepares them for life.

The violence in star wars is far from the kind that'd be bad for a kid. I also wonder if parents these days really feel like they have to protect their kids from anything that is even remotely violent, dark and gritty. If yes, I blame the media force-fed plaque that is called political correctness which has replaced moral correctness without anyone taking notice. Poor kids these days. Isn't it enough that the movie machinery doesn't have the balls anymore to greenlight some dark or disturbing kids movies like they did back in the eighties?

So, to circle back to topic - please, TLG, for the kids' sake, bring a ponda with removable arm to the cantina!

Edited by DarthTwoShedsJackson

No need to apologise for chuckling - I doubt Greedo indulged in any Charlie, he'd need to keep his mind on the job plus with that nose... However, there's definitely a scene where somebody is smoking some kind of hookah in the cantina and with Mos Eisley being such a haven for scum and villainy I doubt whatever they were smoking was entirely innocent. Also, I'm no prude, I wouldn't have any problem with my kids acting out mailings and manslaughters in the cantina, I'd probably join them, I'm simply pointing out that depicting (or encouraging kids to act out) too much criminality is probably something TLG need to consider before releasing a set. Lets face it some people just love to complain about such things and I doubt Lego would want to risk that kind of bad press.

Personally I'd love to have Ponda Baba, Doctor Evazan and Wuher but I think it's highly unlikely thet we'll get them from TLG.

I think we've put the violence issue to rest, but the biggest indicator that it has no baring on whether to include Ponda or not is that we have gotten a burned and bloody Anikan TWICE!!. If there had been parental backlash for the first on from 2005 than I doubt we would have seen an even more detailed one in 2010. Ponda may or may not be in the coming set but the violence will most certainly not be the deciding factor on that.

No need to apologise for chuckling - I doubt Greedo indulged in any Charlie, he'd need to keep his mind on the job plus with that nose... However, there's definitely a scene where somebody is smoking some kind of hookah in the cantina and with Mos Eisley being such a haven for scum and villainy I doubt whatever they were smoking was entirely innocent. Also, I'm no prude, I wouldn't have any problem with my kids acting out mailings and manslaughters in the cantina, I'd probably join them, I'm simply pointing out that depicting (or encouraging kids to act out) too much criminality is probably something TLG need to consider before releasing a set. Lets face it some people just love to complain about such things and I doubt Lego would want to risk that kind of bad press.

Personally I'd love to have Ponda Baba, Doctor Evazan and Wuher but I think it's highly unlikely thet we'll get them from TLG.

We are getting the bar so why wouldn't we get Wuher?

You know, the creator of the Cantina set is probably reading these pages and p**sing himself laughing at the huge speculation that it has generated. And Lego on the other side is rubbing their hands in anticipation of all the fat profits they will make selling this set (even though it is a pathetic half finished attempt).

Maybe. All i could see as of yet seems to be a great leap forward from the previous (mini-)set.

Hey guys this isn't 100% credible but from what I saw and was told a portion of the isd has a sort of conference room and there's not going to be a escape pod I belive

Sounds good. Hopefully you are right. Would be great if there was a bridge as wee had it in 6211.

Yep! Expectations are high and the choice of sets to be released is pretty promising! TLG 'has to' do their best and there is still a chance for improvements at this time. This might change tomorrow. Since i have no idea of the London fair - will the new sets be shown there in all their beauty?

That's makes sense. I have more points to make (like how Ziro the Hutt was blowing smoke from a hookah pipe in the CW movie, as well as how LEGO portrays bank robberies in their City sets), but I fear that this conversation is treading too closely to off-topic territory, so it's not worth keeping it up. We're obviously at an agreement about this.

Does anyone think that there's a current hairpiece that may be more accurate for Han? I was thinking perhaps Larry the Barista's hair from the LEGO Movie CMF series, but I'm not sure because I don't own the fig and thus can't test it myself.

I just feel like Han deserves a new hairdo, especially because ANH Luke and Leia got updates back in 2011.

We are getting the bar so why wouldn't we get Wuher?

Because he's a purveyor of intoxicating liquor and (probably) drugs.

I don't feel like this discussion has been off topic but you're right Fives, it could go that way. Check out this topic on Lego's stance on Moral Issues.

That's makes sense. I have more points to make (like how Ziro the Hutt was blowing smoke from a hookah pipe in the CW movie, as well as how LEGO portrays bank robberies in their City sets), but I fear that this conversation is treading too closely to off-topic territory, so it's not worth keeping it up. We're obviously at an agreement about this.

Does anyone think that there's a current hairpiece that may be more accurate for Han? I was thinking perhaps Larry the Barista's hair from the LEGO Movie CMF series, but I'm not sure because I don't own the fig and thus can't test it myself.

I just feel like Han deserves a new hairdo, especially because ANH Luke and Leia got updates back in 2011.

I just think the first Han face was good. Just make his old face with pupils and we'd have a perfect Han Solo.

Honestly I don't think any of the minifigures need new hair, or more detail for that matter. The recent Han Solo in the microfighter set is a good example of this with his cheekbones. They don't provide much detail, it just makes him look older. Also Luke's hair from 2011 just makes him look more of a kid, and Leia's newer hair is ok, but the old one makes her look a bit younger.

Don't get me wrong, adding more detail to figures is fine, but there's a thin line between detail and unnecessary changes. This goes for the sets as well.

Is london Toyfir a preview night tomorrow or open to all? I know that people can't take photo's, will be curious to see how the fescriptions compare with the released product in a few months time...

I don't think the LEGO Group will have any problems making the Cantina set or any specific minifigures because of Alcohol Abuse, Violence, or Drug Use.

In The Hobbit set 79004 Barrel Escape the two Elven minifigures are supposed to be watching the Dwarves in the cells but get so drunk on wine they fall asleep. One of the minifigures even has a second face to portray a druken stupor. In the set 9516 Jabba's Palace Jabba the Hutt is smoking on a Hookah Pipe with a Slave/Sex Dancer sitting on his throne. Also in the set 75005 Rancor Pit the Rancor is designed to be able to eat or grab the minifigures.

While I'm sure there are several more examples of Violence, Alcohol and Drugs in licenced themed LEGO sets my point is that the Cantina set and the minifigures within it can be made despite the more adult themes it represents or shows us in the films. While I'm sure someone will argue with this I think I'm right. TLG has had no problem making sets that portray bad activities or themes, so they should have no problem doing it again. The only problems I've heard the LEGO company having in the past is that the Bionicle theme insulted the Maori people of New Zealand and that 9516 Jabba's Palace was to be removed from shelves because it insulted the people of Turkey for religious reasons.

Edited by Phoenix__Phyre

I went to toysrus and sadly couldn't find any new sets but saw a paper listing all the sets and where they'll be on the shelves