Siegfried

Which set should I buy?

I've got them and built them both, and they're both great builds. I'd say get the Maersk if you're thinking about getting into Lego trains - if not, something like the Emerald Night will probably look better on a shelf than the Maersk. And if you're not planning on getting into trains, go for the VW. It's a great design with lots of cool details, and will look nice on display.

I've got an unopened Emerald Night stored away in case I decide to get into LEGO trains. (I had a middling-size HO scale electric train layout about 25 years ago.) I don't currently have the space to really set up a train layout these days but I'm tempted to put away a few in case someday I do have the space.

On the other hand, where I live is only 40 minutes drive from the site of the Woodstock Festival (Bethel NY - they had to relocate from Woodstock NY late in the planning) so there are certainly those around here with a fondness for the hippie days and there are probably a few of those actual vans still spotted every so often.

I think I'm leaning slightly towards the Van, but I am thinking I'd kick myself if the Maersk goes out of production before I could get one - double VIP points after this round will be October or so and that seems a long way off...

Hi, you guys; I need some advice of which Star Wars set to buy: the 9490 Droid Escape or the 9491 Geonosian Cannon. I'm a fan of all the six movies as well as the The Clone Wars series so it doesn't really matter so much if it's sandtroopers or geonosians; I just want the one of the two sets which gives the most 'bang for the buck' or so to say.

Edited by DarkFader

Hi, you guys; I need some advice of which Star Wars set to buy: the 9490 Droid Escape or the 9491 Geonosian Cannon. I'm a fan of all the six movies as well as the The Clone Wars series so it doesn't really matter so much if it's sandtroopers or geonosians; I just want the one of the two sets which gives the most 'bang for the buck' or so to say.

I don't own either, but I'd go with the Cannon. There's little to no playability in the Droid Escape, but since the Cannon is a cannon, there's at least some playability there.

I don't know about you, but I'm a big fan of minifigures.

I'm trying to find a Droid Escape, which has 3 new figures, and a decent escape pod.

The Canon doesn't really appeal to me as much...

Another vote for the cannon. If you're one who likes to play with their LEGO, come on...who doesn't. :blush: I'd go with 9491. I think it has the better figs of the bunch, as well.

Though I have neither, I would say the cannon too. It looks as though it has more useful pieces (and better colors), and the Minifigs will likely stay exclusive for a long time. The new C-3PO will probably be in a better set soon, and you can always Bricklink the Sandtroopers. A quick check of BL shows that they are being sold for $6.00 - $7.00 apiece.

I'm not sure if this should go in this topic, but anyways, I just ordered two complete series of the superheroes line, one to build and one to keep sealed, and got around 525 VIP points in my account now. Now, what should I buy with those VIP points, also how much is that worth. I already bought the new city line and not interested in STAR WARS or LOTR. Should I keep them, or will they expire?

Edited by The Blue Brick

I'm not sure if this should go in this topic, but anyways, I just ordered two complete series of the superheroes line, one to build and one to keep sealed, and got around 525 VIP points in my account now. Now, what should I buy with those VIP points, also how much is that worth. I already bought the new city line and not interested in STAR WARS or LOTR. Should I keep them, or will they expire?

It is worth $25.00 and 25 VIP points. (100 VIP points = $5.00)

It is worth $25.00 and 25 VIP points. (100 VIP points = $5.00)

Thanks for the info, still not sure what to get. I'm now thinking a set for around 20 to 30 dollars from any theme other than Superheroes, City, or Star Wars.

Thanks for the SW advice, guys; I got the cannon today and I'm definitely satisfied with it.

Edited by DarkFader

I got the Geonosian Cannon a few days ago and it was a no brainer for me. You have a Jedi and Clone to fight the Geonosians and their cannon. Droid Escape on the other hand is just two droids being chased by a couple of Sandtroopers. I will eventually pick up the Droid Escape but the cannon has been immediately loved by my son.

Quidditch or Forbiden Forest and Venomari shrine?

I only have Freeing Dobby and Hermione, and wish to expand my HP collection with some main characters.

That's a tough one. If you want figures and more bang for your buck, I'd go for the second option but I'd rather go for the Quidditch if you want a nice set with good playability.

Quidditch or Forbiden Forest and Venomari shrine?

I only have Freeing Dobby and Hermione, and wish to expand my HP collection with some main characters.

Well: Venomari Shrine is the newest of the sets that you mentioned, so get that last.

Quidditch has all exclusive Minifigs, while the Forbidden Forest only has one exlusive 'Fig. Also, FF has the Hogwarts uniform Harry, who you already have. I would say get Quidditch, and BL the figs from the FF.

Yes while I don't own the first option, I have the second, I'd get the Quidditch set. I'm starting to wish I had gotten it myself. :grin:

Not really a question as to which set to buy, but was rather looking for more opinions on this set as Eurobricks only has one review...I've been looking at the 8157 Ferrari F1 1:9 recently and am looking at this set in pure awe. I was wondering if anyone else has this set and could offer some input on it?

Is the Taj Mahal still worth buying (for own use)? Prices at bricklink.com is about US$800. It's twice the original retail price but since it's the biggest ever, I'm guessing prices will keep going up in the future?

Ok, so my game plan is to treat myself to a little birthday shopping spree during Double VIP points at the LEGO store. Since I don't get there much, I want to make it count. I'm going for store exclusives here, nothing I can otherwise buy at TRU.

My plan is

10230 Mini Modulars(FIRM)

10224 Town Hall(FIRM)

10220 VW Camper Van

10223 Joust

Any other exclusives I should consider? I have a lot of the recent exclusives, MMV, Maersk Train, Tantive, Dropship/AT-OT, all Modulars, Diagon Alley

I want the Dub and Joust, but anything that in your opinion are better, throw it at me.

Edited by Legocrazy81

Any other exclusives I should consider? I have a lot of the recent exclusives, MMV, Maersk Train, Tantive, Dropship/AT-OT, all Modulars, Diagon Alley

I want the Dub and Joust, but anything that in your opinion are better, throw it at me.

I think your plan is pretty nice, since you already have all the other exclusives! You can't go wrong with any exclusive sets anyways. :classic:

If you could fathom this thought, I'd rather get the Shuttle Adventure instead of the Mini Modulars though :grin:

Edited by prateek

Handoyo - I'd say if it is worth that to you, go for it. It certainly is a unique set, and with 6000 pieces, the price per piece at $800 is actually not worse than most Star Wars sets.

legoCrazy81 - I think your plan is good, I do second getting the Shuttle Expedition if you do not have it already though, it's an incredible set.

Thank you for your opinions MetroiD, L@go and Legocrazy81. I think i'll go with the Pet Shop though, as it has more of a variety of pieces, and it gives me a bit more time to save up some spare money to buy it! :laugh:

Usually I would always recommend older sets first, but I too prefer the Pet Shop. It is my favorite modular building thus far. :blush:

I think your plan is pretty nice, since you already have all the other exclusives! You can't go wrong with any exclusive sets anyways. :classic:

If you could fathom this thought, I'd rather get the Shuttle Adventure instead of the Mini Modulars though :grin:

Bah! I knew there was one I was forgetting, I already have 10231.

of these star wars battle packs, which should I buy? help me choose one and tell me why:

mandalorian battle pack

clone trooper battle pack

hoth rebel trooper battle pack

snowtrooper battle pack

and which truck should I buy?

3221 lego truck,

or the toys r us truck (forgot its number)

of these star wars battle packs, which should I buy? help me choose one and tell me why:

mandalorian battle pack

clone trooper battle pack

hoth rebel trooper battle pack

snowtrooper battle pack

and which truck should I buy?

3221 lego truck,

or the toys r us truck (forgot its number)

I'd go for the Hoth Snowtrooper Battle Pack, you really can't ever go wrong with Snowtroopers, they just look too cool, even if the AT-AT driver is a little boring. It's also the one that is the closest to being completely gone, as it seems to sell faster than the rebel trooper battle pack.

Of the two Lego trucks, I'd say go for the Lego version if they are at MSRP, if you can get a discount you can consider the TRU truck. The lego truck is just a little more classic, even if it's more common. The additional toy shop with the TRU truck is a nice little building, but certainly not worth $15 in my eyes.

Edit: To the poster below, I'd say the Toy Shop, it being an exclusive it's so very special and will be very hard to get in the future. The AQ Earth Defense set is also great, but I think it will be available for around MSRP until summer or so, and it's not as unique as the previous set.

Edited by fyrmedhatt

So, Winter Village Toy Shop or Alien Conquest Earth Defence HQ? Both are likely to get harder to find pretty soon, and I have other sets in both themes. The AC set will give me more swooshing and play time with the kids, but the Toy Shop will be part of a holiday tradition. And I think both are destined to be sets that I'll be sorry to have missed out on a few years down the road.