Saint

B-Wing 10227

Hello Eurobrickers !!

I had the fortune to pick up the new 10227 B-Wing at my local Toy'sXL ( former Toys'r'us here ) !! :wink:

Even more fun was the fact that I got a 25 % discount, pricing it down to a price I was accepting to pay.... but was it worth it ??

First I want to thank JunkstyleGio for lending me his table and Fotocamera and putting up with me for an evening :grin: !!

Please accept my apolegies because I have some trubble with linking and placing pictures, so I just want to give my thoughts and ideas on this model and not give any review of sorts, perhaps in the future .

http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?f=525589 main page .

The build is in 10 main steps, many , many baggies, instructions and DSS with carton separate :thumbup: .

First off, we start by building the engine section : http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=5808541.

I started without looking at the instructions and didn't see I had to build 2 simular sections, usely I build such sections at once , but okay, taken for granted. :classic:

The problem here is the hinge sections, quite wobly, doesn't take much to get loose, and when the section is finished, a pain to get back in place. My tiles are slightly curved, so it does not give a straight line.

Then we start with the the section that holds the cockpit : http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=5808544

See the gap in the front ??? Get used to it !! :sceptic: I tried pushing them together, redo the section, nothing helps.... :cry_sad: Gap stays .

We go over to the next step : http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=5808548 , the main wing ... the thing that makes the model !!

Remember the gap ?? Yes ?? Okay, we have that here to, instead of placing a bracket in the middle somewhere , the back doesn't have much to hold it together.. Sad :cry_sad: , because the front is almost perfect... Almost... 3 air intakes with white in it :wacko: , should be black .

We go over to the "main" gun, small build, nothing really spectaculair, fun to do ! :classic:http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=5808552

We've taken the trubble of making a lot of picture's after each step and after this section I was really suprised to see the model balanced out very nice :

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=5808554 :laugh: Be very carefull though !!

the cockpit section :sceptic: ..http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=5808560 Well... to small ?? the windshield does not do it for me... It feels like almost Minifig scale, has a fault in the building description , has very poor gyro system ( works with gravity... I guess our gravity here in Holland is off, because the system does not go flying around like crazy, its very lazy :look: ... could have been lots better !!

Last items on the list are the 2 smaller wing and the stand. http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=5808574 .

These being the most concern to me... and most frustating ! :angry: .. The 2 wing don't get the SNOT Technique like the main wing... Really LEGO ??

They do the job, thats it !! I think the wings should be redone, reworked, do it all over !! How much more trubble is it ???

we both agreed that this should be the best part, leaving it like this ... :sick: We had it on the display and we both had the idea that there is a lot missing .

( sorry for the rant, this was most of it :wink: )

The stand is nice enough... take good care of the position , do it wrong and the model stays on the ground .. I pushed the pins on the "lying down " beam back by 2 , the wing is more steady and of the ground like that ( not in this picture ) , I just came up with that.

So , I didn't aply the DSS, Why ?? Because I think there to little orange dots in the DSS, 3 more had done the trick IMHO.

Well, I had fun building the model, the lack of a landing gear has me a bit troubled, at this price range I want full options !! At first glace its a great grey model, but don't look to close, some colours start popping up !! Red, yellow and tan creep up and started annoying me after a while. The cockpit is off, weapons were not that much, needs to be re-done aswell Pearl gold ?? Hmmm :sceptic: .

I think its a great model, after a overhaull !! :sceptic: The 2 smaller wings shout out they need work done , the main wing needs some kind of bracing in the back , the colours should be replaced with dark gray, black or gray and the stand does not give the model it real potential !!

well, that's it folks ! :wink: IMHO this sweet model does not take the icing on the cake, a good overall model to be put on the shelf, to be left alone and not to be taken under close scrutiny.. I guess this model was a bit of a stephchild :sceptic: I would do it different , and I'm going to to that, starting with a new stand, rebuild the smaller wings, see if I can do something about the cockpit and work out all the colours . And work out the gaps :hmpf_bad: .

Don't take all the negative from me, I love the model, but it deserves better !!

Grtz Saint

They were just opened, Its the new ToysXL in the Stada shopping mall in Breda , they had a 25 % discount on all SW, exept the Joda crhronicles :sceptic: They ment to say it was on all sets 2013 with yoda as boxart, not the dvd . :hmpf_bad:

They were just opened, Its the new ToysXL in the Stada shopping mall in Breda , they had a 25 % discount on all SW, exept the Joda crhronicles :sceptic: They ment to say it was on all sets 2013 with yoda as boxart, not the dvd . :hmpf_bad:

...Do they still have that discount?

I really don't know, I was there friday. I can tell you that there was a lot more than a " normal " toysXL, I hope that in the future there's going to be loose LEGO in pick-a-brick form.

@ Saint: It was fun having you over! Taking pictures and watching you build was very interesting.

On the model itself i have to agree with saint!

The model has an impressive size and looks extremely cool, but when you take a closer look, there is so much room for improvement.

Hopefully I will get the chance on taking more pictures when Saint is done with all his rebuilding.

Hi, it's really easy to link the photos from Brickshelf, but first you need to re-size them!! :wink:

i) Firstly open the photo using MS Paint:

ii) Next select the 'Resize' option from the toolbar

iii) A new screen will appear, click on the 'Pixels' radio button and reduce the horizontal to '640' - the 'Vertical' will automatically update to '436'

iv) Save the photo as a JPEG (.jpg) using the 'Save As' option and then upload to Brickshelf.

Next to link it to Eurobricks:

i) Firstly click on the photo you want to link

ii) When it appears as a larger image click on it again (it will then open again in the same window, but all of the adverts etc will be missing!)

iii) Next copy the website address from the toolbar

iv) Next open your post in Eurobricks and select the 'screen' icon (the one with the tree!)

v) Paste the address into the 'URL' box and click 'OK'

The photo should then magically appear!

Cheers, Robin :classic:

Edited by Lobot

I guess it was my fault that I didn't resize the photo's..

Best way to re-size them by the way is an easy program called VSO Resizer.

info for Saint:

I've put some 640x480 versions in a special "small" map.so you can use the pictures(after moderation of course)

I guess it was my fault that I didn't resize the photo's..

Best way to re-size them by the way is an easy program called VSO Resizer.

info for Saint:

I've put some 640x480 versions in a special "small" map.so you can use the pictures(after moderation of course)

You can create links to the photos before they've been moderated by Brickshelf, so you don't have to wait :classic:

Nice review & photos by the way!

HI to all

This is how Saints original post would have looked with all the correct images in it instead of just links..

Hello Eurobrickers !!

I had the fortune to pick up the new 10227 B-Wing at my local Toy'sXL ( former Toys'r'us here ) !! :wink:

Even more fun was the fact that I got a 25 % discount, pricing it down to a price I was accepting to pay.... but was it worth it ??

First I want to thank JunkstyleGio for lending me his table and Fotocamera and putting up with me for an evening :grin: !!

Please accept my apolegies because I have some trubble with linking and placing pictures, so I just want to give my thoughts and ideas on this model and not give any review of sorts, perhaps in the future .

http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?f=525589 main page .

The build is in 10 main steps, many , many baggies, instructions and DSS with carton separate :thumbup: .

First off, we start by building the engine section :

dsc00384.jpgdsc00385.jpg

I started without looking at the instructions and didn't see I had to build 2 simular sections, usely I build such sections at once , but okay, taken for granted. :classic:

The problem here is the hinge sections, quite wobly, doesn't take much to get loose, and when the section is finished, a pain to get back in place. My tiles are slightly curved, so it does not give a straight line.

Then we start with the the section that holds the cockpit :

dsc00386.jpgdsc00387.jpg

See the gap in the front ??? Get used to it !! :sceptic: I tried pushing them together, redo the section, nothing helps.... :cry_sad: Gap stays .

We go over to the next step :

dsc00391.jpg

dsc00390.jpg

the main wing ... the thing that makes the model !!

Remember the gap ?? Yes ?? Okay, we have that here to, instead of placing a bracket in the middle somewhere , the back doesn't have much to hold it together.. Sad :cry_sad: , because the front is almost perfect... Almost... 3 air intakes with white in it :wacko: , should be black .

We go over to the "main" gun, small build, nothing really spectaculair, fun to do ! :classic:

dsc00396.jpg

dsc00397.jpg

We've taken the trubble of making a lot of picture's after each step and after this section I was really suprised to see the model balanced out very nice :

dsc00398.jpgdsc00399.jpg

:laugh: Be very carefull though !!

the cockpit section :sceptic: ..

dsc00404.jpg

dsc00405.jpg

Well... to small ?? the windshield does not do it for me... It feels like almost Minifig scale, has a fault in the building description , has very poor gyro system ( works with gravity... I guess our gravity here in Holland is off, because the system does not go flying around like crazy, its very lazy :look: ... could have been lots better !!

Last items on the list are the 2 smaller wing and the stand.

dsc00418.jpg

dsc00424.jpg

These being the most concern to me... and most frustating ! :angry: .. The 2 wing don't get the SNOT Technique like the main wing... Really LEGO ??

They do the job, thats it !! I think the wings should be redone, reworked, do it all over !! How much more trubble is it ???

we both agreed that this should be the best part, leaving it like this ... :sick: We had it on the display and we both had the idea that there is a lot missing .

( sorry for the rant, this was most of it :wink: )

The stand is nice enough... take good care of the position , do it wrong and the model stays on the ground .. I pushed the pins on the "lying down " beam back by 2 , the wing is more steady and of the ground like that ( not in this picture ) , I just came up with that.

So , I didn't aply the DSS, Why ?? Because I think there to little orange dots in the DSS, 3 more had done the trick IMHO.

Well, I had fun building the model, the lack of a landing gear has me a bit troubled, at this price range I want full options !! At first glace its a great grey model, but don't look to close, some colours start popping up !! Red, yellow and tan creep up and started annoying me after a while. The cockpit is off, weapons were not that much, needs to be re-done aswell Pearl gold ?? Hmmm :sceptic: .

I think its a great model, after a overhaull !! :sceptic: The 2 smaller wings shout out they need work done , the main wing needs some kind of bracing in the back , the colours should be replaced with dark gray, black or gray and the stand does not give the model it real potential !!

well, that's it folks ! :wink: IMHO this sweet model does not take the icing on the cake, a good overall model to be put on the shelf, to be left alone and not to be taken under close scrutiny.. I guess this model was a bit of a stephchild :sceptic: I would do it different , and I'm going to to that, starting with a new stand, rebuild the smaller wings, see if I can do something about the cockpit and work out all the colours . And work out the gaps :hmpf_bad: .

Don't take all the negative from me, I love the model, but it deserves better !!

Grtz Saint

Edited by JunkstyleGio

Typically the comment from someone who lacks knowledge in building techniques and Lego standards.

Typically the comment from someone who lacks knowledge in building techniques and Lego standards.

Is there not a way to say something like this in a friendlier way? I don't want to turn this into another argument thread. I will not put up with meaningless criticism.

This was not supposed to be mean. Oo

=)

My point is that there is no way this small wings could be SNOTed for an official model.

You will hardly see SNOT for the sake of doing SNOT in an official model if a more simple build does the job ; see my signature.

Edited by Anio

How you just said it in this last post was fine, but your first post certainly sounded harsh, especially considering you didn't even explain what you meant. Anyway, thanks for clarifying. :classic:

How you just said it in this last post was fine, but your first post certainly sounded harsh, especially considering you didn't even explain what you meant. Anyway, thanks for clarifying. :classic:

You're welcome. :)

What I meant is even more general. We read too many times (more or less everywhere ; here, but also on youtube comments, blogs, etc), "Lego should have use SNOT", "Lego shoud have tiled that" etc.

(anyway, the worst thing we can read is, by far, "It has no minifig / it is not minifig scaled, Lego, you're kidding me ?").

There are many rules a designer has to face. And he will never consider a building technique as a goal but as a mean. A mean that has to respect many other standards (mainly the stability, the strength and the simplicity of the build, to make it short). So, when he can make a good looking result with a simple build, be sure he will not hesitate to do so.

As for the 10227, I think there are a lot of SNOT everywhere. So, people who like tricky builds should enjoy the model (even with no SNOTed small wings ;D ).

And to see that there is a lot of SNOT, analyse the build quickly, and you will see that you can hardly define a part that can be considered as the top (the top regarding the build, not regarding the shape of the ship). There are parts in every direction.

Edited by Anio

...We read too many times (more or less everywhere ; here, but also on youtube comments, blogs, etc), "Lego should have use SNOT", "Lego shoud have tiled that" etc.

(anyway, the worst thing we can read is, by far, "It has no minifig / it is not minifig scaled, Lego, you're kidding me ?")....

There are many rules a designer has to face. And he will never consider a building technique as a goal but as a mean. A mean that has to respect many other standards (mainly the stability, the strength and the simplicity of the build, to make it short). So, when he can make a good looking result with a simple build, be sure he will not hesitate to do so....

Well said. :thumbup:

Well, I never said " It has no minifig/ it's not minifig scaled , I said : It feels like minifig .

As a € 200 set, I expect nothing but the best , like buying a new car without windows :wacko: nobody in its right mind would buy that.

I wanted this model, I bought this model, I'll get it right ( in my mind ) , I don't like the gaps, I don't like the colours peeping through, so overhauling is the only option IMHO.

To be continued !

To the OP, have you completed any of the mods you mentioned in your write up yet,if so can you share them?

Well, I never said " It has no minifig/ it's not minifig scaled , I said : It feels like minifig .

Anio might have been refering to my post in another thread regarding the new X-Wing, in that case I was making the observation that the X-Wing had not come with a pilot minifig, there was some following discussion and valid reasons why it didn't come with one.

Anio might have been refering to my post in another thread

I doubt it. I was really talking in general.

"It is not minifig scaled" is something we sadly read everywhere... :/

Well, I started with the cockpit, , next up are the wings ! We've got a lot to do around the house, so I hope to be working on it soon !

Getting back at the "feeling like minfig " discussion , I would like to state that I think that it is to small, I buy a UCS thing, don't expect it to have minifigs, but expect a LOT of small details in this line, hell, the VW camper had lots more !

grtz Saint.