General Magma

LEGO LotR - general discussion

If that piano wins I am going to doubt the competency of the selection team for Lego Ideas.

Of all the sets in review, I think the piano is most likely. Why? Because it fits the price mold most of the other Idea projects have hit lately (around $20-50), it doesn't require any complicated license, and it's a super recognizable build. Of course I could be wrong, the maze and hornet also seem like possabilities. The Dutchman, AT-AT, and especially the Helicarrier are out due to sheer size (at 10 cents per piece they would all cost over $500 in their current state and the Helicarrier would be near $2000... ignoring the fact Lego just released their own version).

You guys, I just noticed something on the Ideas review video and hopefully its a good sign for Minis Tirith, if you stop the video at 1:32 and look on the shelf, it looks like the lower wall to Minis Tirith.

Nice eye! Interesting they have only the front gates.. I know a lot of us have suggested doing that. Also interesting how long the walls are on each side, possible Uruk-hai style army builder add on? I would love Lego forever if they gave us a $60 main gate with Faramir, Eowyn, Witch King, and Fel Beast and then a $30 army builder with Gondor Soldiers and Mordor Orcs. Of course, the whole new mold issue is still there...

Of all the sets in review, I think the piano is most likely. Why? Because it fits the price mold most of the other Idea projects have hit lately (around $20-50), it doesn't require any complicated license, and it's a super recognizable build. Of course I could be wrong, the maze and hornet also seem like possabilities. The Dutchman, AT-AT, and especially the Helicarrier are out due to sheer size (at 10 cents per piece they would all cost over $500 in their current state and the Helicarrier would be near $2000... ignoring the fact Lego just released their own version).

Nice eye! Interesting they have only the front gates.. I know a lot of us have suggested doing that. Also interesting how long the walls are on each side, possible Uruk-hai style army builder add on? I would love Lego forever if they gave us a $60 main gate with Faramir, Eowyn, Witch King, and Fel Beast and then a $30 army builder with Gondor Soldiers and Mordor Orcs. Of course, the whole new mold issue is still there...

Out of all the Ideas sets released it would be the worst. Even Birds would be better. No one but some AFOL that likes pianos will buy it. No child is going to say "I want lego. Let's pass over all the cool sets and get a piano" This is not even considering if they already have a piano at home. They can play an actual piano. What's the point of buying it? Even worse, you can nearly buy your own keyboard that can play actual music with the money spent on this piano.

Sets that are good for business are ones that will appeal to children, as they are the main consumers of Lego. For IDEAS, since many AFOLS vote on them, the ideal set would be one that appealed to Kids AND AFOLS

Edited by Bobbtom

You can find the complete photo here: http://1.bp.blogspot...ative+space.jpg

The model on the right looks like the citadel at the top of Minas Tirith, albeit in mini-scale.

It may just be a prototype for the original LotR waves though, as I think the photo might be old. On this site, the photo is dated to 2013.

I wouldn't be too hyped guys, it also shows a picture of one of the Alien sets from 2012 i believe

Yeah, I think we should lower our expectations. We saw several LotR sets as protypes like the Balrog, Lothlorien, etc. - but they all have never been made.

I hope I'm wrong but I think this is just a protype for a normal LotR set, and they decided to not make it.

Yeah thinking about it a lot of the things in that video are old so that might be too. It shows that at one time they gave it a lot of thought.

They always use old stock photos in those videos. There is the one of the UCS style SW probe droid that has been doing the rounds for ages, every time it is used someone thinks it is a new set about to come out.

However, they will be considering it. It passed review, so it will be considered.

However, they will be considering it. It passed review, so it will be considered.

I am not sure that is true, it looks like they already considered it in the past and given how this line has gone Lego might already know that they won't make any more sets for this line no matter what. My point being it might already be over.

The line definitely isn't coming back! I think we all know that by now. I just view this as a really good sign that the 10K supported Ideas Minas Tirith is being seriously considered for release. We forced the conversation and they're having it. It's no coincidence about the timing.

Also, like I've said in other posts, even if it's an old photo, odd how it should pop up in that particular video NOW. Maybe they visited the a Minas Tirith set already and thought it wouldn't work. Maybe they even finished the sets/wave and because of the shift to 3 films, Lego Movie product (shifting lots of other releases around), etc... It was cancelled? But now with the Ideas support and fan support in general, it might be enough to get it out either as a D2C, final UCS or as an Ideas set.

Edited by atreyu2112

^ But if the picture is old it doesn't say anything about the ideas set. Because of leaked list we know what d2c sets we are getting this year so looks like lotr is dead again.

What leaked list? Source? Link? They only just announced the 2 approved sets for last review and that the new review is under way. Results late April/May.

Maybe they visited the a Minas Tirith set already and thought it wouldn't work. Maybe they even finished the sets/wave and because of the shift to 3 films, Lego Movie product (shifting lots of other releases around), etc... It was cancelled?

maybe someone on the Ideas team follows the crazy speculation in this thread and put it there knowing how easy it would be to troll everyone

I am not sure that is true, it looks like they already considered it in the past and given how this line has gone Lego might already know that they won't make any more sets for this line no matter what. My point being it might already be over.

Of course it is true. They have acknowledged it has 10,000 support, so it is going to be considered in the review stage. Now they might say "We aren't going to do that" without any further consideration and totally discount it, but it has still been considered during the review stage. When they do the review video, they will no doubt say they have had however many projects it was that reached 10,000 and the winner is .... (if there is a winner). They don't have to give a reason for something failing the review, so we will never know how far it gets in the review process - whether it is rejected outright on day 1, whether they build it and decide against it, whether they do the financials and decide it is a no go, etc. The only way we will know how far it got through the process is if it comes out as the winner.

What leaked list? Source? Link? They only just announced the 2 approved sets for last review and that the new review is under way. Results late April/May.

He is referring to this list http://www.thebrickfan.com/lego-2015-set-release-dates-and-promo-details/ and not to ideas. TLG forced the leaker to remove it from eurobricks. So far the list has been proven to be accurate.

Edited by Darth Punk

^ Yep that's the one so ideas is our only hope but what I was saying is that I think Lego has decided to end both lines so I dont think they will be taking the review as far as trying to build anything.

Good eye.

By making it into the Review phase, the Minas Tirith project is forcing LEGO to have further conversations about Lord of the Rings. I doubt it will be green light; however, if we ever get another LotR set, I would still give Bycougars (NujuMetru) credit for it.

LEGO has decided that D2C Simpsons line is doable. I would hope they would consider a D2C Lord of the Rings line as well.

Sorry but NujuMetru has absolutely 0 credit, because hsi creation just happened to be there and most advertised, despite not being the best looking and many members here kept ''forcing'' it to the public so that ''atleast 1 Mians Tirith'' reaches 10k supporters......

I did not even supported it, and I love LOTR, Gondor and Minas Tirith, I supported the one that actually looked decent.

As for the picture on video goes.... I surely hope that most right White monstrosity is NOT Minas Tirith....... id be happier if they reject it then.... however the left thingy near the lady looks decent, just needs some height and a Grond and Id be ok with it :P

Sorry but NujuMetru has absolutely 0 credit, because hsi creation just happened to be there and most advertised, despite not being the best looking and many members here kept ''forcing'' it to the public so that ''atleast 1 Mians Tirith'' reaches 10k supporters......

Most of the ones that look "decent" as you put, or really just more accurate, also use an unrealistic number of bricks. Lego is never going to release a $600+ Lego LotR set when they havn't even done that for some of their most popular themes like Star Wars and City. I think Nuju's was the most realistic option. It was priced reasonably around $250, still had the iconic white city's look, and had some nice play features. Was it perfect? No, I think it could have used a little more detail and the trebuchets were rather large, but it was a good representation of something Lego might actually make themselves.

It doesn't matter how it was 'forced' any way. What matters is that it got there, others didn't. It is the same with the mass advertising that TBBT got. All Lego cares is that it was voted for, not how the internet / social media is used to gain the votes.

His version wasn't perfect but it was realistic (size, play features,...) and he reached 10000. And what about those who always criticize his version? They did nothing!

Regardless if it is a final D2C or UCS or Ideas project really makes no difference. And I agree, it was to only Ideas project that was realistic to be made. They might redesign some of it still, time will tell.

I excited and I really hope it gets made because it will fill a lot of gaps in the collection. If they decide to do the set as a D2C or UCS, we can get the new molds for Witch-king's helm, Eowyns, helmet, Gondor soldier helmet and a Fell Beast. And that would truly be EPIC!

And I don't want to hear about leaked lists, etc... There has been NO official confirmation the line will continue or end. And no date or timeframe. Things can change quick & product can be shifted around (forgotten about the LEGO Movie already?). They might just decide it would be better to release as a D2C or UCS over an Ideas project.

Again, time will tell

^ Like it or not if it was a summer d2c we would have heard about it already. There is no reason to leave a big gap between the last wave and a last big d2c so if not now never. If the pic is from 2013 it has nothing to do with the ideas set and ideas sets and d2c really get new molds that won't be used again. As much as I want it I think its over.

The model on the right looks like the citadel at the top of Minas Tirith, albeit in mini-scale.

It may just be a prototype for the original LotR waves though, as I think the photo might be old. On this site, the photo is dated to 2013.

Thanks for the link with the original picture. The citadel on the right looks very nice, I'm really wondering why they didn't produce one of this two Minas Tirith sets....

Yes, that is the same room that we have seen that other photo of from 2013, that showed us all of the prototypes. That Minas Tirith looks like it was designed to hinge much like the Ideas project to form the curved outer wall. It is likely a prototype that they explored. I believe they would have produced it if they had had a third LotR wave. But they would not have done it back to back with Helms Deep. To similar. Hence we got Black Gate and Pirate ship. This is a not uncommon patern for TLG. Good Guy Castle followed by smaller Bad Guy Fortress and some sort of large vehicle such as a boat.

And now for the bad news. The existence of that prototype in 2013 might be enough to kill any chances of Minas Tirith as an Ideas project. If TLG explored to subject in a similar manner under the IP license groups dominion then it may be locked as pre existing art and design and the contract may not permit the hand off. Remember how the CuuSoo/Ideas blogs have said existing licenses have added layers of complexity that may increase the chances of failing review? This is the sort of thing they mean. This is also why it is doubtful that any Star Wars or Batman subject that was seen on screen in a movie will pass review.

His version wasn't perfect but it was realistic (size, play features,...) and he reached 10000. And what about those who always criticize his version? They did nothing!

Regardless if it is a final D2C or UCS or Ideas project really makes no difference. And I agree, it was to only Ideas project that was realistic to be made. They might redesign some of it still, time will tell.

I excited and I really hope it gets made because it will fill a lot of gaps in the collection. If they decide to do the set as a D2C or UCS, we can get the new molds for Witch-king's helm, Eowyns, helmet, Gondor soldier helmet and a Fell Beast. And that would truly be EPIC!

And I don't want to hear about leaked lists, etc... There has been NO official confirmation the line will continue or end. And no date or timeframe. Things can change quick & product can be shifted around (forgotten about the LEGO Movie already?). They might just decide it would be better to release as a D2C or UCS over an Ideas project.

Again, time will tell

I have to agree wtih both of you, if a Minas Tirith set is to be made by Lego it has to have a reasonable piece count and price point. There is no way they are going to make a LOTR set anywhere over the $300 price range.

atreyu2112 I am also tired of hearing about leaked lists as well as those who state the line has officially ended. Lego has never made any official announcement that the line is continuing or ending. Even if the license to make LOTR sets is expiring, there is no reason they can't extend it or get a new one. They have been able to obtain licenses for Lego Ideas projects such as BTTF, Ghostbusters, and Minecraft, so who is to say they can't get the license to make one more LOTR set.

As of now no one knows what Lego is going to do regarding LOTR/Minas Tirith, I don't even think anyone at LEGO knows. At this point it is everyones speculation.

Edited by Bycougars