Sign in to follow this  
Paul B Technic

A car in a Day – A Lego Technic building challenge.

A car in a Day – A Lego Technic building challenge.

Yesterday I had a day free to myself and wanted to build something, I decided to set myself a challenge to build a car from scratch in a day. The limits I had was that I only had a day (8 Hours) and I was limited to only the pieces from 8068 (Rescue Helicopter) and 9395 (Pickup Truck) to build this.

I had done no prior planning on this; I woke up and decided to do it. The idea I had was to build a car with as many features as possible and which looked and worked in a realistic manner.

I managed to build the car with the following features:

- Working steering connected to the steering wheel in the car.

- V4 engine (Real mounted)

- Working differential

- Opening rear hood

- Opening doors

- Adjustable seats

- Working hand brake

I had wanted to add pop up headlights but after spending some time trying to add these I could not get them to work how I wanted so I removed these and just mounted the lights at the front, maybe in “Version 2” I will be able to add these and get them working.

Overall I am quite pleased with how it ended up, the limit on what pieces I had meant that some of the colours are not quite how I would like, still I think it looks quite good.

Now for the photos :)

http://mizibunktechnic.blogspot.com.au/2013/01/a-car-in-day-lego-technic-building.html

Good job m8. Did it took 8 hours to do, or you managed to pull it out faster? I presume you mostly used pick up truck parts for this? Lovely set with nice parts for price, but no suspension :(

I'm going to try this tomorrow :devil:, and I will restrain myself from motorising it... and I will probably motorise the drive and steering...

Edited by legomuppet9

Thanks for the feedback. I don't have an springs or I would have tried to add suspension. I am going to try this again in the future, maybe with a different type of build.

Very nice for an 8 hour project...one question that hasn't been asked though, a working handbrake? How does it operate? I'm rather intrigued as I've never seen this type of feature on any Technic car...please do elaborate

Thanks for the feedback. The working hand brake is a axle with a 8 tooth gear which shifts in to the rear different to lock it. I think one of the photos on my blog shows it close up (I am typing this on my phone)

Edited by Paul B