Captain BeerBeard

REVIEW:79003 An Unexpected Gathering

I just got this and love it. It really is one of the best non-modular sets I've built. One question I have for you: With the window using the SNOT technique, did it fit snugly for you? I've looked in the instructions, on your review, and elsewhere on the Internet, and I can't see it mentioned. I'm sure I'm not doing it wrong...

One difference is that the arches I got weren't the same as the ones in the instructions and in your set. My arches don't have an inner crossbeam. Hmmm. I really want that window centered.

The snot window is always moving from side to side, I also want it centered.

Really great set though, one of my favourites. Love the figs too!

Edited by Moexy

The snot window is always moving from side to side, I also want it centered.

Thanks. Glad to hear it isn't just me.

I would give this set a near perfect score. The design is phenomenal. It uses a lot of the building techniques you tend to see here in the advanced MOCs (layering in the grassy outer part to create a nature-like surface, very clever snot techniques in the windows), it has six mini-figs, all with dual-printed torsos and all-around head printing. It's almost all brick-built. There are very few plates. There are a few stickers, but they are very good ones! The ones on the flat tiles are prints of wood grain, and the other is a sticker of Bilbo's book. They are about the best stickers I've seen in a set.

I paid ¥7300, which is maybe $90 US, but compared with other sets of this price, including non-licensed ones, I think it's a solid deal. This is a great set.

Built this set today. Love it. The design is near flawless. Only one thing bugged me: The inside of the round green door has an ugly 4x4 tan plate slapped on it - surrounded by 1x4 black plates. It really sticks out and the square 4x4 spoils the look of the round door. Fortunately it's easily fixed. I replaced the enormous weird flag hinge piece with a pair of regular black 1x2 grabbers. Secured with a vertical 1x4 plate and pair of 1x2 plates above and below, to look like iron hinges. Then I just left the rest of the door empty - so you can see the nice green round shape. Finished off with a door knob on the right made of a 2 single round plates. Looks 100x better than the original and uses less parts.

It looks like a really nice but I think it's too expensive. It's $85 + tax in Canada. I definitely will NOT be purchasing this set.

Edited by smitty9999

Parts:12/20 Lots of green and brown. The fact that the map tiles are stickers is a real big let down.

Price:8/20 The jacked up price sucks. Stickers at this price point? WTF? TLG?

I know it's just your opinion, but I strongly disagree with both of these ratings. Yes the stickers suck, they always do. I dunno why Lego didn't just give us printed wooden boards as we have seen them before in other sets and that would of cut down on the stickers quite a bit. That's really where most of the stickers came from in this set. The maps where the other big source of stickered material but that's perfectly understandable why we would get stickers for them since we will probably never see them used in another set again. Regardless it's less than 10 stickers total for a $70 set. I get that any stickers are worse than none, but that's pretty darn good. At least it's only 9 stickers and not the 30+ like in the Mines of Moria set!

As for the price, how could you seriously give this set less than a 50% rating? Really? REALLY? It's just over the 10 cent per piece mark which is great for a licensed set. Factor in it includes numerous large plates and pieces, as well as a ton of new molds and this set seems like a GREAT deal. I could of easily seen Lego pricing this set for as much as $80. Now I will say it sucks they originally quoted the set being only $60 when it was unveiled, making $70 for it seems much worse when it was finally released. They did the same thing with the Orc Forge set and originally showed 5 orcs in that set but then it turned out it only included 4, which I absolutely HATED. At least with the Unexpected Gathering you are still getting a great deal though. I even said when it was first shown off that 60 bucks seemed like a steal (and was at 9 cents per piece with such big pieces in the set).

Overall I feel like you are being a little hard on this set. At very worst I would say it's an 80/100, and even that's being stingy. It is easily one of the best LotR/Hobbit sets, if not one of the best Lego sets ever. I know we all expect big things when our favorite toy line gets the license for our favorite franchise, but we also have to be realistic here. Other than that excellent review!

Edited by Deathleech

I finally built my set yesterday and I love it! I'm still missing Attack of the Wargs and Goblin King Battle but so far this one is my favourite from this wave. I'll not keep this set assembled because I want to build my own version of Bag End, but the set is beautifully designed. My favourite thing about it is the design of the round windows, especially the big round one. I'll try to hunt down a few more of these sets without the minifigs, the pieces are so great for landscaping. Regarding the minifigs, Balin is my favourite! The colours and the torso design are spot on. :wub:

Thanks for the review. I just built my copy last night also. I loved it. I wasn't too keen on the set when I first saw it. Then as time went on I still wanted other sets before it, but after building it I was instantly in love. The build is fun. The set looks great finished. The coloring is great for MOCing or Bag End. I'd almost picture some more wood though instead of all grass, but I still love how it looks. The figures are definitely a hot seller for this theme, but if they do more sets like this one, I can see it being a great theme overall.

I didn't notice the SNOT window not being snug I guess. I must not notice little things like that. I love the design though. And it is one of the few sets my wife loves too (she isn't into LEGO, but is supportive). So with more sets like this, she'll be more on board to buy them!

LOL at USA residents complaining about Lego prices... you guys have it easy... BIG TIME.

Edited by SheepEater

Nice review,you could add some opinion to the pictures thro.And dont go so hard on the set.

About the price ,i see you people complaining ,but do you know here in Bulgaria this set is 140 USD,like every other set,its alot of overpriced.Yet that is the normal price, you cant find it cheap and i still buy sets,from here.

Price variances aren't fun at all. I do know if I lived anywhere else in the world I would not collect LEGO due to the higher costs.

For this set, I forgot to mention earlier how much I love the torso prints. I like how most of the torsos don't have skin tone showing so you could use it for either Yellow or Licensed. However, even if I didn't change the theme, I love the colors used and the printing. I love how they made Bombur, but I also like his torso underneath his beard too. His torso still looks plump enough, so it would work for other MOCs.

I just finished building it. I absolutely love it. Easily the best of the Hobbit sets by a wide margin. And possibly giving Helms Deep a run for best Middle Earth set so far. The set itself is a marvelously complex brick build with no real cheats or shortcuts anywhere. The little details are astonishing. You could tell this one was a labor of love for the designers. from the detailed and well populated garden to the new windows, to all the astonishing details and detail parts in the house itself. All the food, all the pots pans, Bilbo's book, etc etc. It just goes on and on. The only other sets anywhere near this for this sort of detail are MMV and Joust. The figures are to die for. Aside from the repeat Gandalf all others are specific to this set. And if you liked the movie, this set has four of the best of the Dwarves. The ones that truly stand out on screen. The set itself forms a very good representation of the Hobbit hole, with a clear scene and story behind it. No scattered components like we see in other Hobbit sets. It's a keeper alright.

Great Review! :thumbup:

Now that I know what the actual set looks like, I am getting more excited!

I just got my hands on this set and it has been sitting under that Christmas tree. :wink: I am eyeing on it all day and I cannot wait to wait till Boxing day to finally open it! :wink::blush:

Great review, I don't see what's so bad about the price that had you giving it an 8/20, it's only about 50 pieces away from the ten cents per piece ratio.

My thoughts exactly. I think he did it mainly because of the stickers (there weren't really that many compared to say Mines of Moria that had over 30), and because it was originally suppose to be $60 but Lego jacked the price up to $70 when it finally hit retailers. I can understand being a little miffed about that, but everything should still be taken into consideration and a score not based solely on that change. I mean the set is just under 11 cents per piece, has several large pieces for the floor, roof, door and windows, and it has several unique molds and prints with the dwarves hair, hats, and bodies.

If we had as great prices as the Americans, I could by two of each set instead of maybe buying one xD almost... :)

This set looks good... But I'm nog sure if I'll get it. I'm thinking of getting an MMV instead :) The whole set is however fantastic, especially the figs (like all LotR figs)

Great review. I think I'm going to get this set, the only hobbit one I'll probably get. I think it would go great with some on forestmen sets. All that green in common. :classic: