I would be EXTREMELY interested in playing with that app Corey! I have an Arduino mega driving ten PWM controllers, and I'm looking for a more convenient way to control them all.

I would be EXTREMELY interested in playing with that app Corey! I have an Arduino mega driving ten PWM controllers, and I'm looking for a more convenient way to control them all.

Wow! It's great to talk to someone else doing this!

No problem on the app. You'll need a bluetooth connection. I just buy the HC-05 on ebay. There's a nice serial library that supports it and it only takes 2 pins on the Arduino to hook up. and I've defined an API from the app to the Arduino so I don't have to rev the hardware at the same time as the app.

On your PWM controllers, what motor driver are you using? (I'm using the DRV8835) What frequency do you have the PWM at? (I was at 800Hz but increased it to 4000Hz after a few days).

We've seen higher than normal failures on the 9v motor and my next gen hardware is going to supply true DC voltage to the train. It's a pain to do though. There's a reason why the entire world has gone to PWM.

Hi all-

I bought my son the 60052 Cargo Train for Christmas and it got me hooked on LEGO trains. I've been building my whole life, but mostly from the instructions and only recently started using LDD to create MOCs.

I love looking through the galleries and seeing everyone's awesome work. I wish I could build them all :) I'm looking forward to connecting and learning here on the forums.

I just recently used LDD to create my first train, the C&O 490.

https://www.dropbox....490_v2.png?dl=0

Thanks!

Edited by chochacho

Hi everybody, I'm Stefano and I was raised with Lego and I have always been a fan of trains.

My first train set was the 7727 Freight Steam Train Set even though I always dreamed of buying the 7740 set which unfortunately remained a chimera.

I lived in the glorious 12V era but I didn't have enough room (or bricks) to build a satisfactory mockup of a real railway, be it the station or the mere railway running aside a road with its electric posts and signals.

Sorry for this prolonged intro, after years of hibernation I decided to get all my lego out of the boxes and I am planning to slowly build what I have in mind, which of course revolves around a train layout.

I knew the internet era would favor places like this forum and since I entirely skipped the 9V and the Power Function era, I have a quick questions for you more expert users: what would be more convenient to begin with?

Thanks for your help in advance, I cannot promise any picture of my layout because it's in my head for the moment, but I will.

Stefano

Edited by stefanodoug

Nice layout picture! I later managed to purchase the 7745 train set but still in need of the 7740 set I ordered some large windows (6 studs) which where not available elsewhere to reproduce, though in different colors, that much wanted set :)

Thanks for replying my question, I was inclined to choose PF as it seems a smarter way to control the trains, plus the tracks are in plastic and not in metal: cheaper? And I found out the wider radius curves are available for both types, 9V and PF, so my concern shifted to the way to control the trains.

Now the challenge moves to how to mockup properly the electric lines posts, but I will have to move to another thread of this forum for more specific questions.

Hope to read other suggestions, thanks again.

Hi All!

I've been building with bricks since 2010 but only this year discovered the world of LEGO trains.

This february my LUG was doing 1st public display of this year so I was making some new city house and car mocs to fill it up. Another Latlug member De-Marco has been into trains for a longer time and has already collected decent amount of train tracks to make solid length railroad around the city layout. So while making new house mocs I was digging through unsorted piece box and found that I have 87574 train motor and some train wheels- just enough to start making my first locomotive. I had no train tracks of my own but new that in collaborative LUG display I can put on tracks and add another moving object to the display.

Here's a pic of my 1st train moc. The design is not based on any particular engine. I had just the big battery box so had to make a frame from bricks and made it with idea that I have to place the battery box as low as possible for lower centre of gravity and bigger stability. Since I knew I will sometimes leave the train to other LUG mates to place it on public displays I knew I had to make the battery and channel change simple so it has big take-off top panel and the front window can be easily removed to access channel change in PF receiver.

1024x684.jpg

more pictures with this locomotive are here

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.872826572781649.1073741936.567335349997441&type=1

and here's a video with it running around my personal little city layout

I was enjoying the new train world so much I decided I need to get one train set just to have all the missing accessories- like tracks, train remote and more wheels and magnets so I recently decided to buy a 60052. The design of the set is very appealing and it had all in one package :) I built it once, enjoyed it for a couple of days and took it down to start working on some sort of my own design train.

So here's my 2nd train moc- passenger electric train. it s a result of having 3 blue train bases and some elements in good quantities from PAB wall. In picture it's pulling one car, after I made another car.

1024x684.jpg

here's a video of it running around another Latlug collaborative display

My 3rd train moc is in progress and will be finished for upcoming Latlug public display on 17th-19th April

Edited by Peteris_Sprogis

Hey Peteris_Sprogis, those are some really nice trains you've built. While not based on any specific train you did a great job capturing the look and feel of real trains. Keep up the good work.

Hi, I have been into LEGO trains since I got some 9V for christmas. Thankfully I am old enough that I remember 9V being for sale and I just wish I had bought more... Anyway, I formed an unofficial LTC with my brother and my friend. We made a layout and take it to train shows in the area.

Welcome aboard engineerMax. I hope you are getting your due attention at the train shows (hard to top a lego train, grin).

Welcome aboard engineerMax. I hope you are getting your due attention at the train shows (hard to top a lego train, grin).

I can not argue with that :classic: It draws children like bees to honey. Edited by Legoboy22

Hi guy's, from New Zealand.

Used to love Lego as a kid, but never got to own a train set. Now I'm an adult (kinda), I'm making up for it, having gone from zero, to four trains in the space of a month.

Unfortunately I'm limited to the space on the floor of my bedrooms, which will hopefully change next year. Here's the first two, both current Lego city cargo trains:

21342593479_4dcec2291b_b.jpg

21341670698_513219e5f7_b.jpg

20908369803_fa0648670d_b.jpg

I received the Lego city passenger train a few days ago, and last night purchased the set I'm most excited for, the Maersk Cargo train. Unfortunately I'm away all next week so won't be home when it arrives 8-(

Thanks Dan-147, I'm not sure how far I'll go, but would like to at-least try get some lights on the 60052. I'm a bit limited on what I can do as there doesn't seem to be any sizable brick sellers here in New Zealand, any suggestions on good sites that will ship internationally?

I'd also really like to build some more wagons/cargo as I fell the 2-3 wagons per train doesn't look right, and I think a wee depot full of the Maersk style containers would look great as well. Hoping Lego will release another dock set one day or I might have a go at building something like that myself.

The best LEGO after-market has got to be Bricklink.com. Right now, it lists 32 stores in New Zealand with 3 of them having sizable stock. Check it out.

Dan-147

Hello all, I have been on the Eurobricks forum awhile, and have recently been trying to push the limits of Microscale building. I am sure most of you have seen my recent posts and look for more in the future. More info on me personally though, I have been into trains my whole life and model in HO scale on the non Lego side of things.

Edited by Trainmaster247

I received the Lego city passenger train a few days ago, and last night purchased the set I'm most excited for, the Maersk Cargo train. Unfortunately I'm away all next week so won't be home when it arrives 8-(

Hey there Riley-NZL, there are lots of great things you can do with the trains. There's nothing wrong with simply building the sets, but I would agree with you, the sets do leave you wanting more cars. Also, to keep the part count down, often the cars in sets tend to be flat cars. It is easy enough to build up a boxcar or gondola car though (keep an eye out for panels, 1x6x5 for boxcars and 1x2x3 for gondolas). Still, the train parts can get expensive, so keep an eye out for a sale and buy a second train set to build in to cars. Another fun challenge is simply figuring out what you can build with the parts you have on hand or can easily acquire in a set of generic bricks.

Hello all, I have been on the Eurobricks forum awhile, and have recently been trying to push the limits of Microscale building. I am sure most of you have seen my recent posts and look for more in the future. More info on me personally though, I have been into trains my whole life and model in HO scale on the non Lego side of things.

Your microscale trains are fantastic. It is also such a great idea, to make a decent microscale train can just as challenging to make a large scale train... with one big difference... your pocket book won't hurt nearly as much.

Your microscale trains are fantastic. It is also such a great idea, to make a decent microscale train can just as challenging to make a large scale train... with one big difference... your pocket book won't hurt nearly as much.

Thanks that really means a lot. I am working more now, just where to find the time.

Hi all,

I've been building with Lego on and off since the early 70s when I was a child. In that time, I've gone from Lego fanatic, to interested fan, and back to full fledged maniac several times, based on my supply of free time and money. I've also been involved in model railroading (N scale) as well as military miniatures wargaming.

My Lego train collecting began in the 9V era with 4560 Railway Express. After that I picked up the 4535 Lego Express Deluxe and an additional blue passenger car. Then Lego came out with what I thought was a must-have: the 10020 Santa Fe Super Chief. Since I've always been a fan of multiple locomotive consists, I picked up two of those. Unfortunately, due to financial constraints, I was not able to get any of the passenger cars.

My enthusiasm for Lego trains waned, as I took up other hobbies and raised a family (busy, busy, busy). In the past several years, the kids and I have been collecting the Winter Village sets, and this year we combined it with a small train set up. I picked up the 60051 High Speed Passenger Train (though we're calling it the Candy Cane Express) to run around the ourside of the village. We pretend that connects it with the "real world." Meanwhile the Lego steamer runs as the local around the center of the village. We're combining the 9V and plastic track, and it works as long as we remember to throw the switch so the steamer does not get sent to the unpowered track!

12342815_1117332558279891_7716260907882486370_n.jpg?oh=86979cfac8795baa16e6415f2014d4a5&oe=570C0198

12392046_1117332438279903_3111430803908157463_n.jpg?oh=4c519ab3c4f1cc3334ae2a11e33860e9&oe=56D645F6

This has rekindled my passion for trains, and Lego trains in particular. I am hoping to build a modest layout in the basement. I do not feel the need to have a massive collection of trains, just a few that I really enjoy. I was lucky enough to pick up a lot from ebay that has another Super Chief and three of the cars that should be arriving any day now. I'd love to be able to complete a five-car train. And I'd love to have some of my favorite real-world railroads represented, so I am going to focus on MOCs that are top-notch, and dedicate myself to that.

One thing I've noticed, is that a lot of the online resources for trains have dried up in the past few years, and there are a lot of dead links. Also, the local LUG for North Georgia seems to be kaput. Have I missed the boat? Is the hey-day of trains behind us, or is there a future for them still?

Lastly, any thoughts on where to find plans/instructions for early diesels (GP9 or RS3) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Henry (Crossbones)

Nice little layout you have there. That blue train carriage is also quite rare as it was only sold in the USA as part of your steamer set, I've built one for my collection, and the windows cost me a small fortune!

Nice

Paul

Nice little layout you have there. That blue train carriage is also quite rare as it was only sold in the USA as part of your steamer set, I've built one for my collection, and the windows cost me a small fortune!

Nice

Paul

Thanks Paul. I'll post some more photos and a video of my daughter managing the switch in its own thread later this evening.

One thing I've noticed, is that a lot of the online resources for trains have dried up in the past few years, and there are a lot of dead links. Also, the local LUG for North Georgia seems to be kaput. Have I missed the boat? Is the hey-day of trains behind us, or is there a future for them still?

Lastly, any thoughts on where to find plans/instructions for early diesels (GP9 or RS3) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Henry (Crossbones)

Welcome aboard! Indeed, there was a heyday 2000-2010, but if anything the AFOL train builders keep getting more and more sophisticated (just keep an eye on this forum to see what I mean... or take a look at the flickr pages). As long as PF train equipment is being made you'll have a thriving community. As for starting points, the best thing you can do is reverse engineer some of the MOCs that catch your fancy. Yeah, easy to say, but you'll find some good building tips in the back issues of Railbricks, and complete instructions too. Lgauge.com also has instructions. There are several other sources, but I don't think there are any with the same quantity.

Happy building!