CM4Sci

LOTR & The Hobbit 2013 Set Discussion

Sounds like I'll be making multiple purchases of several sets in this wave! I'm really hoping that the new brown Wargs will look the part of the LOTR versions. I'll be army-building those things like crazy if that's the case.

They have no cloaks and the new shield is printed from the trailer. it does not look great too me, the shield that is

What weapon apart from the shields do the elves have?

Hoping DGA is a $19.99 set. 3 minifigs is too few for $29.99 set. Mirkwood Elf Army had better be good if it's gonna be $39.99.

The sets are the same in dollars.

And the elves have 2 bows, 1 Aragorn sword, and a sand of time dagger

Thanks for the clarification on weapons :)

"Sand of Time dagger" is the funniest phrase I've heard all day. Never stop, Durinsbane.

Also, so would this list be correct? If so, that's freakin' awesome (for US buyers, at least). I needed a breather after blowing so much on the summer wave (Orthanc!). These are well priced mid-range sets, something that Lego hasn't done in a long time. It's a smart choice, people are more keen to buy if they can score stuff for prices under 100 or 130 bucks.

79011 Dol Guldur Ambush $19.99

79012 Mirkwood Elf Army $29.99

79013 Lake Town Chase $49.99

79014 Dol Guldur Battle $69.99

I think I'll remove the shields from them as shields and bows really don't work together.

They have no cloaks and the new shield is printed from the trailer. it does not look great too me, the shield that is

Yeh the newshield is printed but how is the design of the shield... which design does the shield use? The same as Uruk-hai just colored differently or is it a new mold or is it Roman Soldier shield?

Also, so would this list be correct? If so, that's freakin' awesome (for US buyers, at least). I needed a breather after blowing so much on the summer wave (Orthanc!). These are well priced mid-range sets, something that Lego hasn't done in a long time. It's a smart choice, people are more keen to buy if they can score stuff for prices under 100 or 130 bucks.

I think the Mirkwood elf army is 40$ not 30$

"Sand of Time dagger" is the funniest phrase I've heard all day. Never stop, Durinsbane.

Hope UK prices are the same or less! You are right though! This is a very good mid priced range. Definitely will pick most of these up along with some AUJ sets as one of them seems essential for DOS and plus I only have riddles for the ring currently. This is a good wave as it has new orcs and elves and some main players from the movie and AUJ. It'll be nice when we get pictures.

Hope UK prices are the same or less! You are right though! This is a very good mid priced range. Definitely will pick most of these up along with some AUJ sets as one of them seems essential for DOS and plus I only have riddles for the ring currently. This is a good wave as it has new orcs and elves and some main players from the movie and AUJ. It'll be nice when we get pictures.

Somehow I feel 1st and 3rd set are way overpriced..... 20$ for 3 figs and 50$ for 5 figs? Not really a good bargain even at regular 20% off :P

That looks about right for the u.s.

if US really does get 6 figures + warg for 30$ this is just laughable .....

And ill be stuck on 40€ which is like 52$ again so that stores can give me whooping amazing 20% off and still be on 40$ lol

That looks about right for the u.s.

Also I presume UK prices will be more or less the same, we usually get a £12,20,30,50 and 70 set. (is there a £12 set)

Edited by The Joker1

Yeh the newshield is printed but how is the design of the shield... which design does the shield use? The same as Uruk-hai just colored differently or is it a new mold or is it Roman Soldier shield?

I think he said it's printed on the oval/ovoid shields.

Like the Gungan shield from a few years back?

Ah what a shame :P atleast lets hold hands for a great print and not a lousy one... really disappointed about shield and no armor/helmet thing.... such a huge let down....

$(KGrHqZHJDYE-87eZ,SGBPz4wj32cg~~60_35.JPG

The shield is shiny I think.thranduil I'd holding one and one is attached to the wall near a flick fire.The wall is team and dark tan and the tree is dark brown.all the other sets have the dark red leaf pieces

People complaining of 3 figures for a $20 set, keep in mind almost all of the Super Heroes sets (which are also Licensed) have only 3 figures in their $20 sets, and those sets were some of the best sellers and best designs/figure placement. So I wouldn't be surprised if they have 3 figures for that price again. Plus, wasn't Shelob Attacks 3 figures for $20 also? That seems to be the trend.

As far as descriptions go, I think these will be the best sets Middle Earth has offered us so far. Plus, more dark red leaves!!

People complaining of 3 figures for a $20 set, keep in mind almost all of the Super Heroes sets (which are also Licensed) have only 3 figures in their $20 sets, and those sets were some of the best sellers and best designs/figure placement. So I wouldn't be surprised if they have 3 figures for that price again. Plus, wasn't Shelob Attacks 3 figures for $20 also? That seems to be the trend.

As far as descriptions go, I think these will be the best sets Middle Earth has offered us so far. Plus, more dark red leaves!!

That is a good point.

Well I never bought Shelob because I thought it was not worth the price.... And to be honest Gollum is/was half a figure! So I just bricklinked Sam .....

Also keep in mind that Super Heroes is more about individual heroes while LOTR/Hobbit is (while also a journey for few) actually a vast army battles....

When you think of Super Heroes you mostly think of individual hero scenes, but when you think of LOTR and (soon) Hobbit you will remember mostly epic scenes of vast battles and well a Dragon....

Edited by Alcarin

Thig is if these orcs are new ... 2 of them will go for like 70-80% of set cost for the first few months until the discounts hit us...

Not necessarily. The Orc with hair from the Orc Forge was going for roughly $5-6 when the set first came out, and he was the only one in that set with the hair/ear piece. That was also a $40 set and exclusive so it was harder to find deals on. That's roughly an eight the price of the set for him, or 12.5% The Undead from the Pirate Ship Ambush (the shining figs of the set) are roughly $10 which is a tenth of the total set price, or 10%. Since the Dol Guldur Ambush looks to be a $20 set which is much cheaper than the other two examples, and it will have 2 possibly identical orcs (like the Warg Attack where they ended up only costing 4 bucks a pop or so on BL), I am sure the price will be fairly low for them. Definitely under 5 bucks a piece within a few months.

Those Mirkwood elite armored soldiers are one of the best designs ever made by Weta since the Noldorin Prologue armor, such a shame they will never be found in Lego form.

I just don't understand Lego's rationale. According to Durinsbane the elves have a new printed shield which sounds like it could be the giant tower shields the armored elves use in the trailer.

There is still hope for the armored versions to appear in a Bot5A set. I agree though, it sounds pretty lame Lego decided to go with the brown and green leather clothing rather than the armor seen in the trailer. Now I am wondering, did they just reuse the armor from Legolas/Tueriel in the Mirkwood Spider set? This one? If so.. ACK! Why Lego does some things they do is beyond me. I mean why create two different grunt prints for Pirate Ship Ambush with the Undead and the Goblins in the Goblin King Battle when both have only been used once? Meanwhile the Mordor Orc only has ONE print and has been used in 5 different sets.

I'm really hoping that the new brown Wargs will look the part of the LOTR versions. I'll be army-building those things like crazy if that's the case.

I am sure they will use the same mold as before, I just hope they have the spots or at the very least darker mane (which the gray one should of also had).

if US really does get 6 figures + warg for 30$ this is just laughable .....

And ill be stuck on 40€ which is like 52$ again so that stores can give me whooping amazing 20% off and still be on 40$ lol

Uruk-hai army set has 6 figs, a horse + a nice wall and hook shooter all for $30. So yes I would expect the elf army set to be similarity priced.