CM4Sci

LOTR & The Hobbit 2013 Set Discussion

Ya, plus it doesn't seem like the second film will have all that much content from the Hobbit book anyways if the Dul Guldur battle is as big a scene in the film as it seems. Laketown and Smaug might be the only stuff PJ has in the film that is actually from the book. After all, Dol Guldur is barely even mentioned besides in a sentence or two through the entire book and Azog is dead long before the book even begins. We already have a Mirkwood Spider and Barrel Escape set so what really does that leave from the book other than Laketown and Smaug? The dwarves sitting outside Ereber trying to figure out how to get in? That doesn't seem like a terribly interesting set.

I agree with Faefrost. We could be getting Beorn's house, the Carrack, Thranduil's Hall... The PJifying of so many sets (Attack of the Wargs, Mirkwood Spiders, all of wave 2 Hobbit) has to drive down sales to hardcore Tolkien fans. I loved LotR, but I can't stand AUJ. The non-book sets hold no appeal to me other than parts packs and large army builders.

In response to DL, Smaug's lair, the outpost on lonely mountain (can't remember the name of the stone chamber at the point), Bo5A, Bilbo with the Arkenstone...

I agree with Faefrost. We could be getting --- the Carrack, Thranduil's Hall... The PJifying of so many sets (Attack of the Wargs, Mirkwood Spiders, all of wave 2 Hobbit) has to drive down sales to hardcore Tolkien fans.

In response to DL, Smaug's lair, the outpost on lonely mountain (can't remember the name of the stone chamber at the point), Bo5A, Bilbo with the Arkenstone...

The the carrock is not a good lego set, it's jsut a rock/mountain, "PJifying" might drive down sales with hardcore tolkien fans, but few of them area buying the sets anyways, the "pjifying" makes the sets more interesting to general audiences.

^ I agree that General audiences are probably buying more of the sets anyway and since they would correlate with the movie being released instead of strictly the book, it might appeal to them more. I didn't much care for the book or the first movie (but I loved LOTR). I still buy the sets for pieces, New torsos and to continue on with the theme. Obviously I'm not Joe Public, but I'm sure I fit into that group of people who like the idea of middle earth, so we go with the flow.

If LEGO focused more on the famous locations and scenes from the book, we'd be given really boring sets. Beorn's house would make a beautiful set, but it isn't really something that would sell well. Sure, people would say 'Oh, it's like Bag End!', but it isn't because it is WAY less iconic to a wider audience. As long as LEGO provides us with official figs of all the important characters, fans can MOC till they're blue in the face. It isn't LEGO's job to service the fans, but to make sets based on the FILM ADAPTATIONS of a book that, without the additions and PJ-ifying, doesn't have that many epic action sequences that lend well to sets.

I understand why some people want the locations and scenes from the books (like Beorn's house or Carrock), but those would make excruciatingly boring sets. Without some sort of conflict or action, the sets would be boring (Gandalf Arrives and Bag End aside, as these were 'introductory' and extremely necessary sets to get the ball rolling and spark interest a larger market).

Also, it almost seems like people forget that Mirkwood Spiders and Barrel Escape are out. Those are two major sequences from the book that have already been covered. So that leaves Thranduil's Halls (Mirkwood Elf Army), Beorn's house (MOC away), Laketown (Chase), and the scenes with Smaug. And it is no surprise that we aren't getting Smaug this year, if you really think about it. The number one thing PJ and Co. have been working super hard on not having leaked is Smaug's appearance, and I really doubt they would even risk allowing toy manufacturers to get a glimpse at the beast, fearing that he would inevitably get onto the internet. So LEGO isn't gonna risk making a dragon because they simply have no idea what he looks like, just like the rest of us. Once DOS is out and Smaug is everywhere, LEGO will probably jump right into working on how they will produce the terrible beast as part of the TABA wave.

When I first heard that we were only getting four sets, I was worried that LEGO would be hard-pressed to cram way too much material into a short wave. Then when news spread that we were getting two Dol Guldur sets, I feared the worst. But after having read some theories about the story and the Necromancer's involvement in the films, my opinion has completely shifted. Now, I cannot wait to get these four sets, knowing that they will be jackpots when it comes to secondary heroes and villains that we've been desperately needing for a year now.

EDIT: just a quick note. I just noticed that Jordan Scott posted on his tumblr page saying that he's headed to Amsterdam on Wednesday for LEGO World. From what I know, he's still part of the design team for the LOTR and Hobbit sets. I'm not saying there is any concrete evidence (he may just be going for fun), but perhaps he a few of the other team members plan to unveil something? We'll see!

Edited by Fives

There are only two problems with the theory that Beorn's house would make a boring set: first, two of the nicest Middle-Earth sets so far have been locations that had no conflict whatsoever (Bag End and Rivendell) and both sets have been universally praised and sold pretty darn well (Bag End being just about THE hottest Lego set last Christmas). And second, a set with Beorn's house would not have to be boring at all, since Beorn spends the night in bear form killing goblins and Wargs together with dozens of his people whose tracks are seen outside the house in the morning. In the book, this happens off-screen and far from the house. But it would be totally reasonable to include a Warg rider or two with Beorn's house.

This would have made a nice set in and of itself, would have sold at least a few sets just for the bear piece and the Warg alone, and would have appeased many of the dedicated fans of the book.

two months before the start of a sale a new hobbit wave and we still don´t have any pictures, lego does a really good job :devil:

^ I know every time there is a new post I am hoping its news, it makes you think that if Lego can keep things like this secret then why did we hear about orthanc so early, sometimes they want us to know to help create a buzz.

speaking of which I got orthanc yesterday for my birthday so I am off to build it now

Edited by SMC

^ I know every time there is a new post I am hoping its news, it makes you think that if Lego can keep things like this secret then why did we hear about orthanc so early, sometimes they want us to know to help create a buzz.

speaking of which I got orthanc yesterday for my birthday so I am off to build it now

Good for you, Orthanc is really perfect, I built him months ago, I got lucky because I buy him for 100Eur:-)

Good for you, Orthanc is really perfect, I built him months ago, I got lucky because I buy him for 100Eur:-)

100 €? Where did you get it?

I just noticed that Jordan Scott posted on his tumblr page saying that he's headed to Amsterdam on Wednesday for LEGO World. From what I know, he's still part of the design team for the LOTR and Hobbit sets. I'm not saying there is any concrete evidence (he may just be going for fun), but perhaps he a few of the other team members plan to unveil something? We'll see!

Now that sounds promising :sweet: Seems to be the perfect opportunity to finally reveal them, let's hope for the best :thumbup:

Most of that stuff will be happening in the third film though, I was talking strictly the second. With 2 "preview" sets already being released in the first wave, and with the movie seemingly covering the slower part of the book, it wouldn't seem like there are a lot of action packed things to draw material from for the second Lego Hobbit wave. That is, except for the PJ created stuff. I mean just look at the book chapters, chapters 1-9 have already been covered by Lego in the first wave (they skipped a few like the trolls and Beorn's house). That only leaves 10 chapters left for the last 2 waves. Roughly 3 of those remaining 10 chapters are just the dwarves sitting on the mountain trying to figure out how to get in. Obviously Lego is going to be making a ton of sets based on PJ created stuff otherwise they wouldn't have much to release.

More DOS merchandise is popping up, this here includes a non-leaked picture of Beorn for instance.

Really hope lego reveals something on wednesday or this week atleast.

The ambush and elf army sets I imagine to be relatively small, so I am most looking forward to seeing the large Dol Guldur set. At $80, I am wondering whether the set will resemble Mines of Moria (a few movable walls), Weathertop (a rounded or fold out set with multiple levels), or Black Gate (one large structure). I wish it was bigger, but I am a glutton for large sets.

^ Im hoping that the build is one large one not lots of smaller ones for that large set. If the other sets are army builders then the parts matter more than the build as we will end up with lots of them.

One issue with Dol Guldur battle is the minifig count 1 less figure than Moria and 2 less than goblin battle, both of wich included expensive big figs.

Thats a good point so hopfully it will have a bigger build and this is not just a price rise as lake town is also missing the wargs or horses we saw in the other £50 sets.

This whole wave looks like an army builder.

Nope. 1 definite armybuilder set (Mirkwood Elves) and 1 possible (Dol Guldur Ambush) - though if the latter is just more of Lego's interminably dull Orc clones, then it will be too lame to be a proper battle pack. The other two are definitely not - Laketown Chase would be if it had 3 or 4 guards, but it has a paltry 1. Dol Guldur Battle - a $70 set is just too expensive to be an army builder, and it has multiple main characters, including *another* Gandalf the Grey, who now has been in every single Tolkien wave thus far. Give Gandalf the Grey a rest, Lego!

Give Gandalf the Grey a rest, Lego!

Or they should make him a "free" characther, where his presence doesent 'take up' a slot.

Alternatively if they wanted to do right, they should have given him a unique print for the hobbit sets, HE WEARS A SCARF LEGO!

@Durins Bane the big set isn't much of an army builder when it only comes with 1 generic orc.

But good news everybody from what I've Heard people describing the prelims. it sounds like we'll get new printed orcs this time, And some might come with shoulder armor.

We have gotten a lot of Gandalf the Grey figs, but it's nothing compared to Harry Potter, Indy, or POTC. Sure, two of those themes have the name of the main character in the title. But Gandalf is an integral main character, so I'm not surprised or upset we've gotten him so often. It's just necessary.

And new orcs would be spectacular. That would mean this wave would be the first with completely new figs (except Bilbo), which is awesome.

Nope. 1 definite armybuilder set (Mirkwood Elves) and 1 possible (Dol Guldur Ambush) - though if the latter is just more of Lego's interminably dull Orc clones, then it will be too lame to be a proper battle pack. The other two are definitely not - Laketown Chase would be if it had 3 or 4 guards, but it has a paltry 1. Dol Guldur Battle - a $70 set is just too expensive to be an army builder, and it has multiple main characters, including *another* Gandalf the Grey, who now has been in every single Tolkien wave thus far. Give Gandalf the Grey a rest, Lego!

"gundabad orcs". New armor. New orcs.

@Durins Bane the big set isn't much of an army builder when it only comes with 1 generic orc.

But good news everybody from what I've Heard people describing the prelims. it sounds like we'll get new printed orcs this time, And some might come with shoulder armor.

Dol Guldor battle Comes with 2 Generic Gundabad Orcs.

The New Orcs are a Different color with a lot of war paint. Every set comes with 2, One with shoulder Armor, one without. Only The Dol Goldor Ambush comes with Hair Pieces. They Could Have done better with the new elves. Instead of molding the new elf shield they printed it on the classic teardrop.