CM4Sci

LOTR & The Hobbit 2013 Set Discussion

Yep it's not there.Must be a bug or something.

the direct link for it doesen't work either. curious.

The set hasn't been there for a while, at least for Canada.

Ya, it's on the map and you can click it but doesn't show up in the products section. Odd considering it's still available at the Lego store and there is no notes about it retiring soon or anything.

I really like how Beorn looks! Fantastic! If they make him into a fig, they should make him like the made Woody and Jesse in the Toy Story theme.

I really like how Beorn looks! Fantastic! If they make him into a fig, they should make him like the made Woody and Jesse in the Toy Story theme.

I'd like to see a new wider torso/shoulders

After all the terrible descriptions from people that saw earlier leaked images I was expecting something awful. I like the look, come on, the guy turns into a giant bear he needs to not look like your typical dude.

I can't tell if it's just the picture or what, but he looks like something out of a 1970s foreign ninja movie, lol.

Nah he looks like a cross btween the cowardly lion and Hercules from the 90's(?) tv show!

I do think he looks better in the spy pic, the promotional image makes him look kinda weird.

I know the Silvan elves of Mirkwood are part of the largest elf kindred and so must have a huge population compared to Noldor or Sindar but just how many Mirkwood Elf soldier types are there??

We have the following I have seen from the trailer and vblog:

light leather clad rangers led by Tauriel Border Patrol and Scouts?

the gold and white medium armored wall sentinels with antler horns (elves attacked by Azog) Royal bodyguards due to antlers?

red and brown medium armored soldiers with one handed curved swords (seen from vblog extras) Basic soldiers?

Heavy armored troops in silver metal wearing tall curved helms carrying huge golden tower shields and long elven warrior swords (similar to those in LOTR) Heavy shock infantry?

I suppose a realm the size of Mirkwood with a vast elven population could have a highly specialized army with regiments, I am just surprised by all the variation! This makes the Elven army lego set even more speculative because it could include any or some of these troop types! The two armored troop types bodyguards and heavy infantry share a sigil design which must be a tengwar rune for Thranduil or his house.

I would love to hear Deskp's insight and opinions on this.

I know the Silvan elves of Mirkwood are part of the largest elf kindred and so must have a huge population compared to Noldor or Sindar but just how many Mirkwood Elf soldier types are there??

We have the following I have seen from the trailer and vblog:

light leather clad rangers led by Tauriel Border Patrol and Scouts?

the gold and white medium armored wall sentinels with antler horns (elves attacked by Azog) Royal bodyguards due to antlers?

red and brown medium armored soldiers with one handed curved swords (seen from vblog extras) Basic soldiers?

Heavy armored troops in silver metal wearing tall curved helms carrying huge golden tower shields and long elven warrior swords (similar to those in LOTR) Heavy shock infantry?

I suppose a realm the size of Mirkwood with a vast elven population could have a highly specialized army with regiments, I am just surprised by all the variation! This makes the Elven army lego set even more speculative because it could include any or some of these troop types! The two armored troop types bodyguards and heavy infantry share a sigil design which must be a tengwar rune for Thranduil or his house.

I would love to hear Deskp's insight and opinions on this.

I generaly only distinguish between what they are wearing, not their weapon.

1-Tauriels group of woodland guards pic Guards the forest.

2-The army soldiers (infantry?) what we see in the prologue +vlog 11. pic Thranduils attack force

3-The sentinels, these are the ones with the shields and the ones getting attacke by Azog. they are seen standing around guarding things (throne room, dungeons, outpost) pic Royal guard seems an fitting name for them sure.

^I think the reason some look more golden and other more white is due to shine, you can see the shields changing from orange to white in the trailer. Both do wear the same helmets with what you call antlers.

Both 2 and 3 use the same sword I'm sure

DOS sets should give us number 1 and 3. and number 2 is bound to appear in sets for the 3rd film.

I used to think this minifig was part of the woodland guard, but Im not so sure anymore. His shoulder armor/decoration isn't right, he shouldn't have a belt and he's lacking the "corset"

He wears the same belt as Galion (the butler for Thranduil) So it might be that this is some kind of worker or servant elf. I wouldnt put it past lego to give random elf more action that he should x]

ts.20121107T141525.elfguard.png

Edited by deskp

It's been exactly a year since the pictures of the first Hobbit sets were revealed and I'm starting to wonder how the reveal will work this time. Last time around, we had three sources of information: 1) the TRU flyer, 2) NYCC and 3) the official product page. As just2good has pointed out, the flyer he got was an ad for the board game and there's no such thing this year and as we all know, TLG isn't attending NYCC. This leaves option 3 or an entirely different source and I think it's the latter since the reveal on the product page took them more than a month and we know spielwaren-kontor24.de will unleash the pictures on the 1st of November. I personally hope for a surprise reveal of another kind, I really can't wait another month :sceptic:

Edited by Lego-Freak

It's been exactly a year since the pictures of the first Hobbit sets were revealed and I'm starting to wonder how the reveal will work this time. Last time around, we had three sources of information: 1) the TRU flyer, 2) NYCC and 3) the official product page. As just2good has pointed out, the flyer he got was an ad for the board game and there's no such thing this year and as we all know, TLG isn't attending NYCC. This leaves option 3 or an entirely different source and I think it's the latter since the reveal on the product page took them more than a month and we know spielwaren-kontor24.de will unleash the pictures on the 1st of November. I personally hope for a surprise reveal of another kind, I really can't wait another month :sceptic:

There is no reason (that I see) for lego not to send out pix to media as they do when they attend comic con.

The hobbit action figures are due to be released the 15th october, so I guess hobbit marchandise embargo would have been lifted by then and freeing lego to do as they please with regards to promotion.

Man I wish the Hobbit sets would be out already.....

the waiting is killing me!

The second Trailer hat rekindled my interest. I'm still looking forward to the next LotR wave, rather than towards the Hobbit sets, but elves in golden Armor would work beautifully as Glorfindel.

There is no reason (that I see) for lego not to send out pix to media as they do when they attend comic con.

It is a licensed theme from a forthcoming movie. Any decisions on any pics or reveals cme from the licensor. New Line tells Lego precisely when and what they can show. The information schedule serves New Lines needs as a promotional tool and movie tie in. It's almost completely outside of Lego's control.

Most licensor's aren't as strict regarding things that have already been seen or are well known. Hence we got early views of the Unexpected Gathering. (It's the opening scene in the book, Bag End had already been seen in LotR's and PJ had released a ton of "making of" info from the scene).

It is a licensed theme from a forthcoming movie. Any decisions on any pics or reveals cme from the licensor. New Line tells Lego precisely when and what they can show. The information schedule serves New Lines needs as a promotional tool and movie tie in. It's almost completely outside of Lego's control.

Most licensor's aren't as strict regarding things that have already been seen or are well known. Hence we got early views of the Unexpected Gathering. (It's the opening scene in the book, Bag End had already been seen in LotR's and PJ had released a ton of "making of" info from the scene).

Certainly they have embargos, but I would imagine some of that was lifted before NYCC. If there indeed is a set called something lke elven outpost we've seen that in both trailers by now.

Well, I`ve seen blurry pictures of some sets:

- 79012 Mirkwood Elf Army - 442 parts, 6 minifigs and a grey warg - 2 orcs, 3 elves and some kind of elf king. A wall and tree in tan, dark tan and brown.

- 79011 Dol Guldur Ambush - 3 minifigs - two orcs and some kind of a soldier and grey rock.

- 79014 Dol Guldur Battle - 6 minifigs - Gandalf in grey unifirm, probably Radagast, some kind of Nazgul, normal orc, "white" orc (like Yzneg), and a warrior with big red beard. Set looks similar to Black Gate, only in grey colours.

And 79013 as we seen before. In december in stores.

Any one seen this over at Future Hobbit sets topic?

Sounds GREAT to me!

This "white" orc is Azog or Bolg because name of him is very short.

Warriow with red beard in 79014 is not orc. Human or dwarf. It`s really hard to tell from this pictures. But he hes long legs, so probably some human warrior.

Black figure in 79014 is probably Necromancer. He hes no helmet or hood, just "bald" head, but this is preliminary image so final version might be different.

And this! Possibly the warrior with a red beard is beorn?

Would make sense, not a orc or human or dwarf though has long legs. Sounds like Beorn to me!

Edited by SandMirror38

If anyone was waiting for cheaper dlc of Lego LOTR (as well as Super Heroes and HP 5-7), there is a Lego sale on the PSN store. I got everything for under a fiver.

Character pack 1, Character pack 2, Spells and Items pack (LOTR)

5 Heroes pack, 5 Villains pack (Super heroes)

5 Spells pack, 10 Characters pack (this one was free) (HP 5-7)

I think the 442 pieces in the Mirkwood Elf Army is just a place holder, but wow, that set sounds really cool. The other two sound basic, but I'm definitely interested.