Rodeown

David Gilday's Mindcuber Rubiks solver

Whilst hunting for a soloution to my rear steer trailer problem I came across this Rubiks solver By David Gilday.

It is much faster at solving than the Tilted twister that I built when i first got my NXT set so I just had to

build it to see how it performed, it managed a 2 minute solve in my video. :tongue:

@ Rodeown: Cool! I went to that Mindcuber.com website to find out more about it. I went to the LEGO.com MINDSTORMS link to find the Building Instructions, and the Program & Installation Instructions. How long did it take you to build it?

pic21CE3055B6733319B9BCFC34577E8336.jpg

"Guinness World Record holder David Gilday has made it possible for you to build your own Rubik’s Cube solver – using only one LEGO® MINDSTORMS® Kit.

The LEGO MINDSTORMS enthusiast has been building with LEGO Bricks since he was 5 and has a lot of experience in the area. Use the link below and get to know him better and be inspired by his work.

Building & Programming MindCuber

1. Download the Building Instructions here

2. Download the Program and installation instructions here

The software for MindCuber is provided as an executable software file that you can download to the NXT brick using the standard LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT 2.0 software by following these steps:

1. Select “Remote Control” from the “Tools” menu to open the “Remote Control” dialog

2. Select “Connections” from the “Remote Control” dialog to open the connection dialog

3. Scan for your NXT and connect via USB or Bluetooth in the usual way

4. Select the “Memory” tab in the connection dialog

5. Select “Download” from the “Memory” tab and use the file dialog to select the MindCuber.rxe file to download to the NXT

MindCuber is now ready to go!

Links to further information:

Robot Operations

Getting to know David Gilday better

David has also built a model from the previous LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT set (8527 – orange box). By adding a LEGO color sensor this model can solve a Rubik's cube. Find building instructions for the model, plus additional information and source code for the software on David Gilday's webpage: http://www.mindcuber.com. "

Edited by DLuders

@ Rodeown: Cool! I went to that Mindcuber.com website to find out more about it. I went to the LEGO.com MINDSTORMS link to find the Building Instructions, and the Program & Installation Instructions. How long did it take you to build it?

DLuders, it only took a couple of hours, I was short a few pieces as they are in my other models ATM so i substituted some other parts and i added an idler wheel opposite the turntable drive wheel to give it more stability on the turntable, I think because my cube is a bit stiff it was jumping the gears sometimes so I improvised :sweet:

Must admit it is a better design than the Tilted twister that I built once before and it is much faster, the TT fasinated everyone who saw it so mindcuber is gonna surely amaze them lol.

Just make sure you have good batteries in it lol or it will slow down. :laugh:

I built this. It only worked a couple of times before the grabber arm wouldn't flip the cube, and it had issues with detecting and scanning the cube from the start. :sceptic:

After chatting with David on his youtube channel he made the suggestion that i should show people

what would happen if i did give Mindcuber a completed Rubik's Cube to complete....

I've made David Gildray's Cube-solver, but unfortunately the cube ends up out of alignment and the cube solver jams. I think it's because the cube is fairly new and stiff. I've read I need to loosen it, to lubricate it - what should I use to do this? WD40????

I've made David Gildray's Cube-solver, but unfortunately the cube ends up out of alignment and the cube solver jams. I think it's because the cube is fairly new and stiff. I've read I need to loosen it, to lubricate it - what should I use to do this? WD40????

DO NOT USE WD40.

It is not meant for plastic and will melt it. WD40 isnt even designed to be a lubricant. Silicone is your best bet.

I Have build it this weekend, actually built both versions :laugh:

The newer seems to perform slightly better, I feel it is more accurate somehow.

Only thing is the scanning.. :wacko: It gives scan errors most of the time. The machine starts solving about once or twice for every ten attempts. . :cry_happy:

I already checked, doouble checked, triple checked the building. Completely rebuild the entire thing. Also tried with extra low lightning, super extra full batteries, super extra tight turntable adjustment.. All to no avail :angry::thumbdown:

This is so frustrating, We wanted to show the machine at my son 's school project.

Anyone got a marvelous idea?

Edited by bord4kop

Have you try with another cube ?

does it fail in daylight / articial light ?

Edited by DTom

Yes, I even bought a new cube. Made sure it is the original Rubiks' :wink:

It fails in day and normal light bulb as well as LED light and in the dark (practically no light)

The color sensor could be the faulty device here. I have bought it new last Friday though..

There seem to be two versions of the sensor, it Might be the older, hence slightly worse one which I have bought :sceptic:

Edited by bord4kop

I've seen JP Brown's version of Cube Solver some years ago and I was blown away. However I never got to build it, since it looks quite complicated.

I have built two versions of MindCuber: NXT2.0 and EV3 Educational and they both worked okay. I only found some problems with the side light, where it for sure interferes with sensors reading. I've shown both of the models to kids at our LUG events and they mainly survived the enthusiasm. After 6 hours the mechanics start to wear off and some reinforcing is needed.

Regarding light readings, check if the sensor in reading mode is in right position. If it is, perhaps you can check values of the reading. This will give you some clues, where the problem is. I have used both ordinary cube bought at a supermarket and original Rubik's cube. I got the same results, some misreading but mostly accurate.

But maybe I was just lucky. Good luck!

I Might have solved the problem by tilting the whole thing quite a bit. Now the cube is aligned all the time towards the sensor.This seems to help a lot!. Alas the batteries have died at the moment, so I have to post the final results after several tries later..

EDIT:

@Teflon; wow that is quite an establishment, that cube solver you linked to!

I will keep in mind that the sensor is the most critical part. I will try to reduce side lightning.. Thanks!

Edited by bord4kop

Slightly tilting did the trick. One must keep the cube aligned to the corner of the base where it is in. The corner nearest to you and the sensor.

Edited by bord4kop

I am glad you've found a solution. Is it working okay? At least for me a working Rubik's cube solver is just magical. Not sure why, perhaps because I used to solve the cube myself when I was way younger. But it took me ages (like 5 minutes) in today' standards.

JP Brown was the first one who build a Rubik's cube solver out of Lego that I am aware of. If there is somebody with more information, please share. His page is quite old, latest addition to the page is 10 years old.

On 9/23/2016 at 7:24 AM, teflon said:

I am glad you've found a solution. Is it working okay? At least for me a working Rubik's cube solver is just magical. Not sure why, perhaps because I used to solve the cube myself when I was way younger. But it took me ages (like 5 minutes) in today' standards.

JP Brown was the first one who build a Rubik's cube solver out of Lego that I am aware of. If there is somebody with more information, please share. His page is quite old, latest addition to the page is 10 years old.

Wow, 5 minutes would be a personal record for me, by far! This is insane.