wonkyeye

LOTR & The Hobbit 2012

Does this mean anything?

LOL.png

It was in the recent summer catalog along with the cover being a small poster of Frodo:

-Sci

looks like we will see some hobit sets around Christmas time. i dont see any reason why not

December 1st certainly makes the most sense since they'd want to get them out in stores just before the movie hits. The real question is though, seeing as there is a movie coming out, will The Hobbit sets actually get released everywhere in early December? It'd be odd if only North America got them before the movie, and the rest of us had to wait a month or two after the movie has come out to get the sets. That'd be pretty lousy from a marketing standpoint.

Then again, they did manage to get the Marvel sets out in most places before the movie was released, so maybe there is hope after all.

About The Hobbit:

Do you guys think Lego will use this old dragon mold for Smaug?

I hope not.

I actually like the dragon and I think that with a few changes it would make a good Smaug. :thumbup:

Edited by Bilbo Baggins

I think Smaug should be brick built. TLG proved they can do really good brick built creatures with Shelob. If they do a decent job with Smaug (and the Fell Beasts), they could make good sized representations of them, and full sets with just a creature and some figs. I thought that they could even try something with folding wings, with fabric that could fold out to fill in the spaces. It could look really cool.

I think Smaug should be brick built. TLG proved they can do really good brick built creatures with Shelob. If they do a decent job with Smaug (and the Fell Beasts), they could make good sized representations of them, and full sets with just a creature and some figs. I thought that they could even try something with folding wings, with fabric that could fold out to fill in the spaces. It could look really cool.

Do not forget about the best brick built creature of all, the Vikings line's dragons !!!

Do not forget about the best brick built creature of all, the Vikings line's dragons !!!

I did forget about those! I never got any myself, but they did look cool. But they had a lot of technic bits, which I think would be the wrong way to do Smaug and the Fell Beasts. I could see a mix of the Hero Factory style connections, mixed with the bits used for Shelob's legs to give the neck and limbs poseability. And the wings could be done in a similar style to the Ninjago dragons, only with fabric to fill in the frame of the wings. It would be really cool, and would make Smaug/Fell Beast sets smaller and more reasonably priced if they didn't have to have some big building to go along with a molded creature. It would mean that we could get a ROTK Witch-King set for maybe $40-50 rather than $80-100.

Just confirmed that Middle earth isn't getting these sets till mid September :angry:

Just confirmed that Middle earth isn't getting these sets till mid September :angry:

Middle Earth meaning Europe? That's a joke! Where's your evidence?

Middle Earth meaning Europe? That's a joke! Where's your evidence?

Middle earth meaning New Zealand

Captain 200, let me think about it... :classic: how's Helms deep going?

=Legonardo=

Edited by Legonardo Davidy

Middle earth meaning New Zealand

Captain 200, let me think about it... :classic:

=Legonardo=

ah mybad

still, it is a bit of a joke!

ah mybad

still, it is a bit of a joke!

allgood Javert :tongue:

~Legonardo~

What would it cost to send some lotr sets (say two uruk armies) to europe? I really have no idea what the shipping fares would be. If it would be around 40/50 dollars or less, it would be very affordable.

I also hope that Smaug, the fell beasts, the balrog and Treebeard will be all brick-built if they are ever released. It would also make it more convenient for Lego as these creatures could be the brick-built portions of the sets they come in. (For example a set depicting the stand-off between Éowyn and the Witch King would be just a bunch of figures otherwise.)

As for the Vikings dragons they were a bit too Technic-like for my taste. Except for the Midgard Serpent in 7018 which turned out great.

I also hope that Smaug, the fell beasts, the balrog and Treebeard will be all brick-built if they are ever released. It would also make it more convenient for Lego as these creatures could be the brick-built portions of the sets they come in. (For example a set depicting the stand-off between Éowyn and the Witch King would be just a bunch of figures otherwise.)

I would draw a line between the fell beast and smaug on the one hand, and the balrog and treebeard on the other.

The fell beasts and smaug are bound to be ridden. When combined with highly detailled figs, brick-built creatures look too blocky in my opinion. That seldom works. The green fantasy area dragon is a great dragon and TLG has proven its creature skills with the the dinos as well. The brick built dragons in the dragon contests a while ago were all artfully made, but as soon as they interact with figs, they look a bit off IMHO.

The balrog and treebeard might work brick-built because they do not consist of flesh and bones.

I would draw a line between the fell beast and smaug on the one hand, and the balrog and treebeard on the other.

The fell beasts and smaug are bound to be ridden. When combined with highly detailled figs, brick-built creatures look too blocky in my opinion. That seldom works. The green fantasy area dragon is a great dragon and TLG has proven its creature skills with the the dinos as well. The brick built dragons in the dragon contests a while ago were all artfully made, but as soon as they interact with figs, they look a bit off IMHO.

The balrog and treebeard might work brick-built because they do not consist of flesh and bones.

The fell beast might work as a figure but in my opinion Smaug is simply too big for that. A miniaturized figure version would be a bit sad in my opinion. I'd choose a brick-built huge Smaug with many points of articulation over that (so that it can fly, rest curled up on its hoard, etc.) any day. Also I don't remember Smaug ridden by anyone in The Hobbit, though I've last read it quite a long time ago so I might be mistaken.

Bought Helms Deep and Mines of Moria today, great parts packs. Any of the other sets worth buying for parts if you aren't particularly interested in the minifigs? Looking for dark grey parts in particular...

So you don't care about the minifigs? Interesting.

I think generic-castle fans, for all their complaining about the fact that licensed sets are more expensive, are in for a treat if they can sell their minifigs. You buy a $130 set, sell off all the figs on bricklink for $60-70, and you end up with 1300 gray and dark gray bricks for a mere $60-$70.

----

READ THIS IF YOU PLACED AN ORDER OF HELMS DEEP ON TOYSRUS.CA last saturday:

About the Toys R Us "sale" last saturday of Helms Deep for $79.99: They haven't canceled the sale yet, and sent me confirmation emails for both of my orders, and I have called the Office de protection du consommateur, roughly translated to Office of protection of consumers, a canadian government agency.

The lady on the phone told me that YES, it can be enforced, but the way it works is that if they do cancel the order, I have to actually buy the set at full price, THEN submit a formal complaint asking for the difference. She confirmed that the confirmation emails sent by ToysRUs to me do work as proof that they did have the "sale".

----------

I just sent this email to theonering.net ...

Hi!

I have been a huge LEGO fanatic since 2002 AND Lord of the Rings fanatic since the mid 90s, having finished reading the book only 2 years before the first movie. So when Lego announced their toy line, I was ecstatic.

I REALLY liked your review of the Shelob Attacks set, because it was from a very different point of view than that of a hardened AFOL (adult fan of lego), as AFOL reviews tend to be a bit grumpy and obsessive over Lego parts (as we will inevitably compare it with previous Lego themes), so yours was refreshing. Are you going to review the remaining 6 sets of the line?

Edited by SheepEater

What would it cost to send some lotr sets (say two uruk armies) to europe? I really have no idea what the shipping fares would be. If it would be around 40/50 dollars or less, it would be very affordable.

Without the boxes probably about $15-20 I would guess.

Without the boxes probably about $15-20 I would guess.

Isn't there some sort of tax you have to pay though, when importing stuff like this? Or is that only if you buy it directly from a shop like US amazon.

I wanna say 20 0r 30 dollars, u.s...