wonkyeye

LOTR & The Hobbit 2012

Not sure what I'm going to tell my five yr old about the movies when I buy the sets however. He's definitely too young to watch them. Sorry, son, you can play with the sets and minifigs, but you're going to have to wait five years to see the movies!

Maybe show him the old animated movies if you wish to give him some context.

I can't wait for this line. I've always wanted to see LOTR Legos and here they finally are. :)

Each one is beautifully done. I'm sure we can all agree that we wish there was more detail in the sets but they do have to aim for the children. I look forward to getting all of these myself. The figures look absolutely amazing and the sets themselves as well. I can't wait to see more pics from the next Toy Fair coming up.

Not sure what I'm going to tell my five yr old about the movies when I buy the sets however. He's definitely too young to watch them. Sorry, son, you can play with the sets and minifigs, but you're going to have to wait five years to see the movies!

Read him the books :classic: The Hobbit isn't even that long - LotR on the other hand might take some time. And maybe necessitate skipping some of the scariest parts.

I tried to get my 7 year old to watch FoTR with me last week. He got bored before Merry and Pippin even set off Gandalf's fireworks and wandered off with his 3DS....oh well. I guess that does mean the sets are just for me!

Read the Hobbit with him. That one at least was written as a children's book, and it'll give him his own little space in the Legendarium to occupy until he's old enough for the movies.

Depending on how much he gets into the Hobbit can determine whether or not you read him the Lord of the Rings. You might want to wait a couple years for those...

Well, my mom and dad had never read me a fantasy story book and this didn't make me love less the theme. I believe that you can read to your son the books, but with no pressure. Maybe after you buy him a LoTR LEGO set, he will love it! And he'll want to see the movies. :wink:

ps.: man, my english is terrible, sorry :sick:

Edited by Apple Pi

There are way too many orcs. I realize that in the books/movies the orcs vastly outnumber the humans. But Lego still needs to give us a few more human soldiers. They should make a companion set to the Orc Forge like a Rohirrim Campsite from ROTK or something to that affect.

The old mould is not in a LotR set. Only the new one.

The new horse is poseable, and looks almost exactly like the old horse, except the front left hoof is raised.

I thought 9469 seemed to be the original horse mold, but then again it is a prelim :shrug_oh_well:

There are way too many orcs. I realize that in the books/movies the orcs vastly outnumber the humans. But Lego still needs to give us a few more human soldiers. They should make a companion set to the Orc Forge like a Rohirrim Campsite from ROTK or something to that affect.

Does second wave mean anything to you? :wink:

TLG probably plans on having this theme for a while (License agreements usually last 5-10 years), so I think that putting a lot of army builders in the the first wave for one faction is a good idea. You can still get 'good guys' , but you can army- build the 'bad guys' to fight them. Army builder sets are huge successes in other themes, so I see no reason why they won't be in LotR. I, for one, will buy around 5 each of the Orc Forge and Uruk-Hai Army sets, so as to get a large army of 40 baddies, not to mention 5 Eomers. :tongue: If there is an army-builder set for the Rohirrim, I would think it would not be a relatively uninteresting scene like a campsite, but more like a battle, similar to the Uruk-Hai Army set. It would probably include one or two Orcs or Uruks as well, so as to make it more playable and not just an army-builder.

I thought 9469 seemed to be the original horse mold, but then again it is a prelim :shrug_oh_well:

Nope Gandalf Arrives has indeed the new horse.

Cheers,

Wakwak.

Nope Gandalf Arrives has indeed the new horse.

Cheers,

Wakwak.

Mind a picture link confirming this? an official release from LEGO.

Because if that is correct than the new mold in brown, tan and black is awesome. :thumbup:

Edited by Macoco

Mind a picture link confirming this? an official release from LEGO.

Because if that is correct than the new mold in brown, tan and black is awesome. :thumbup:

This is what I saw at Nuremberg Toy Fair. Well maybe it may change in the final version of the set but I would not understand why (not too certain about posting a picture, it seems it is not allowed).

Cheers.

Wakwak

Edited by wackyfm

This is what I saw at Nuremberg Toy Fair. Well maybe it may change in the final version of the set but I would not understand why (not too certain about posting a picture, it seems it is not allowed).

Cheers.

Wakwak

Thanks! If that was at the fair, then that is pretty finalized. :thumbup:

Definitely an unexpected surprise.

I'm actually upset at the lack of horses in these sets. I know there are quite a few, but maybe one more in Helm's Deep would have been good. I'm definitely using the horse in Gandalf Arrives as a battle horse for Eomer or Aragorn, but I just feel that the aren't enough to mount all of the characters on new horses without spending a lot of money.

Also, anyone else surprised we haven't seen any more posters?

I'm actually upset at the lack of horses in these sets. I know there are quite a few, but maybe one more in Helm's Deep would have been good. I'm definitely using the horse in Gandalf Arrives as a battle horse for Eomer or Aragorn, but I just feel that the aren't enough to mount all of the characters on new horses without spending a lot of money.

Also, anyone else surprised we haven't seen any more posters?

Well, if you take into account the scenes the sets are based on I don't know where they could have squeezed in more horses. Maybe one more at Helm's Deep, yes, but that's all, and I don't think that one would be really justified either. I'm sure we'll get more horses in later sets, and if the new horse mold entirely replaces the current one then you surely won't have problems with finding enough horses for your cavalry at an affordable price 1-2 years down the line.

I really look forward to the future of these sets. I hope they do a "battlepack" similar to the now Star Wars ones (2 good, 2 bad). Something like an elf and rohirim with 2 uruks (1 sword, 1 new pike) would be perfect. I think we could go on and on about sets we would like but I feel like the future of LOTR Legos is very bright.

I'm still super excited for these new sets to come out. I'm extremely anxious to see photos of the sets for the New York Toy Fair.

I tried to get my 7 year old to watch FoTR with me last week. He got bored before Merry and Pippin even set off Gandalf's fireworks and wandered off with his 3DS....oh well. I guess that does mean the sets are just for me!

It is a rather slow movie to begin with, that is a shame. And Return of the Je King ends even slower. I nearly died at the cinema from boredom. That's not even to mention that the credits go forever after that, listing EVERY NAME in the Tolkien fan club. But everything in between is excellent. Except maybe Pippin & Denethor at Minas Tirith.

Regarding horses, I also don't see how any more could've been included here considering the scene depicted. If we take a look at recent years it's incredibly rare to get more than 1 in a set. Far gone are the days of 4 mounted knights per castle.

Hahahahahaha... at least he won't touch your Lego

Hmm, I know there's a second wave with sets from The Hobbit, but will they include sets from the other movies?

If we're getting a new sword mould for Sting, it'd be great if we also got a "glowing" blue variant along with it.

I noticed some parts in the first movie that Sting didn't glow despite the presence of Orcs, but it's a fairly important feature of the sword and I think it deserves a variant.

I may be chiming in late here (after 168 pages) but has anyone else seen these pics of the box art?

Boxart for 2012 LEGO sets

Obviously preliminary, but the rearing horses don't look like they have an articulation in their hind legs. Are they a solid piece like the horses of old, or do the back legs move - does anyone know?

Hmm, I know there's a second wave with sets from The Hobbit, but will they include sets from the other movies?

If we're getting a new sword mould for Sting, it'd be great if we also got a "glowing" blue variant along with it.

I noticed some parts in the first movie that Sting didn't glow despite the presence of Orcs, but it's a fairly important feature of the sword and I think it deserves a variant.

I'd imagine Hobbit sets will release at the end of the year, a la Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

I am still disappointed that Glamdring didn't glow in the LotR trilogy of films (and especially that it wasn't added in the extended editions). Easily explained in two seconds at the beginning of the Hobbit. Ah well, made Sting seem all the more special I guess. Still, I'd assume a 'glowing' variant of Sting is bound to be made. Hopefully there's a glowing Glamdring too but I won't hold my breath default_sadnew.gif

What new Minifig accessories have we seen so far in these sets?

I know there is the Ring but what else?

What new Minifig accessories have we seen so far in these sets?

I know there is the Ring but what else?

There is a new mold for Sting for sure (included in Shelob set). But from what I saw (or remember) all the other sword are the same as the ones we saw on the posters with the minifigs.

Cheers,

Wakwak

There is a new mold for Sting for sure (included in Shelob set). But from what I saw (or remember) all the other sword are the same as the ones we saw on the posters with the minifigs.

Cheers,

Wakwak

Uruk-Hai have new shields and weapons as well

I hope that a number of new minifigure items are created/developed for the Lord of the Rings theme: Mushrooms, Pipes, Food, Weapons, Armor, Candles, etc.