wonkyeye

LOTR & The Hobbit 2012

ring will be like the compass of Jack Sparrow: a 1x1 tile.

For the swords, they'll make new molds.

Just look to POTC: they had to make at least 25 new molds, only for figures and weapons...

Just look to POTC: they had to make at least 25 new molds, only for figures and weapons...

It'll be a round 1x1 tile if it happens like that, and potc only had 16 new molds.

Ring: Doubtful. They already showed the promotional picture with a new ring mold. They wouldn't bring that much hype without intending to deliver on it. :wink:

Swords: Probably, but some swords don't need new molds.

It'll be a round 1x1 tile if it happens like that, and potc only had 16 new molds.

- Davy Jones hat

- Jack Sparrow hat (x2)

- Blackbeard Sword

- Hair of Elisabeth Swann

- Davy Jones Beard

- Blackbeard's beard

- Davy Jones hand

- Pirate Flag

- Maccus Head

- Penelope's hat (forgot name of her character)

- hair of Yoshamee Gibbs

- hair of Will

- hair of Norrington => maybe it will be used for Aragorn as it looks pretty the same

- Waterfall

- Rock at waterfall (looks like a dish)

- bottles (I'm not sure if Potc was first or not)

- hat of Hadras

- Mermaid bottoms (if I am not wrong, it was straight before)

- Sword holder

Well not maybe all of them, but just to make a point TLC isn't affraid of making new moldes.

Beside, look at the collectible minifigs, almost every minifig comes with a new item TLC never made before...

Ring: Doubtful. They already showed the promotional picture with a new ring mold. They wouldn't bring that much hype without intending to deliver on it. :wink:

Swords: Probably, but some swords don't need new molds.

hmm, about the ring, that's true :p

I don't know how they would give Sting the ability to light up, but they might just have a transparent blue version of it, and a grey one at once

in every set the sword comes in.

That's all I can think of right now, as I can't see them having a system where it would light up without ruining the minifigure...

I never said anything about a light up feature. I only said it would be cool to have the sword in a blue color to signify the blue glow. I suppose they could do a transparent blue, but I don't think that would look quite right. If they did a light up feature (I don't think they actually would nor should) they would also need a special Sam version since he holds his sword when he fights the giant spider and that scene is featured as a set.

I think simply molding it in an appropriate blue color would suffice. However, the light-up lightsabers done in the past weren't terrible IMO.

I never said anything about a light up feature. I only said it would be cool to have the sword in a blue color to signify the blue glow. I suppose they could do a transparent blue, but I don't think that would look quite right. If they did a light up feature (I don't think they actually would nor should) they would also need a special Sam version since he holds his sword when he fights the giant spider and that scene is featured as a set.

I think simply molding it in an appropriate blue color would suffice. However, the light-up lightsabers done in the past weren't terrible IMO.

Or it could be silver printed with blue. :wink:

Or it could be silver printed with blue. :wink:

That would probably work nicely. This leads me to another thought. Has Lego done other shiny colors other than silver and gold chrome? Maybe a shiny blue chrome would be cool.

- Davy Jones hat

- Jack Sparrow hat (x2)

- Blackbeard Sword

- Hair of Elisabeth Swann

- Davy Jones Beard

- Blackbeard's beard

- Davy Jones hand

- Pirate Flag

- Maccus Head

- Penelope's hat (forgot name of her character)

- hair of Yoshamee Gibbs

- hair of Will

- hair of Norrington => maybe it will be used for Aragorn as it looks pretty the same

- Waterfall

- Rock at waterfall (looks like a dish)

- bottles (I'm not sure if Potc was first or not)

- hat of Hadras

- Mermaid bottoms (if I am not wrong, it was straight before)

- Sword holder

Well not maybe all of them, but just to make a point TLC isn't affraid of making new moldes.

Beside, look at the collectible minifigs, almost every minifig comes with a new item TLC never made before...

1 Davy jones beard

2 maccus head

3 Jack sparrow hair

4 Jack sparrow hair with hat

5 Mens ponytail hair

6 Large pirate hat

7 Claw hand

8 Scabbard

9 Long female hair

10 Gold bar

11 Bottle

12 shell hat

13 Blackbeard's sword

14 Blackbeard's beard

15 Mermaid tail

16 Angelica hair

this.

Edited by deskp

You're saying that as if you know it for sure, whereas no-one actually does.

Otherwise, how are you coming up with this?

Sparrow's compass was filled and had no hole in it like the ring does.

They're not just gonna print a ring on a tile - to me, it sounds like most of you refuse to believe how many molds they could (and should) make for this theme.

Especially since it will last for a much longer time than most licensed themes, and sales would obviously go very well for LOTR and The Hobbit sets.

People, don't drop your hopes for a new mold for the ring on the floor so quickly. It's a special object in LOTR,

and that's basically what the movie revolves around. With that having been said, don't drop your hopes for loads of other new molds either.

If there's one theme that deserves large amounts of new molds, it would be LOTR.

And now, we shall have to wait for next month's pictures to confirm all of this.

~ General Magma

Personally, I am hoping for a new mold for the ring even if it will be slightly out of scale. I would prefer this to a printed 1x1 tile. However, I am sure whatever comes it will not stop me from buying some sets if not all.

People, don't drop your hopes for a new mold for the ring on the floor so quickly. It's a special object in LOTR,

and that's basically what the movie revolves around. With that having been said, don't drop your hopes for loads of other new molds either.

But you're overlooking the fact the round tile is a new mold. And a very obvious one that TLG have resisted making for a long time, only to suddenly introduce it when LotR becomes a theme. Not to mention the practical aspects of trying to mold a "ring" piece that can be easily held by a minifig without being too large. The tile piece just screams out to be used as the ring.

As you say, we'll see. I suspect some people are setting themselves up for disappointment though.

I'm with Andy here. The great thing about LEGO is taking a set, finite number of pieces and using your imagination to come up with something that doesn't seem expected, but is still a recognizable representation. While I'm all about them making new molds I think Andy has it right here when he says, "I suspect some people are setting themselves up for disappointment though." I have no doubt there will be new molds, but the simple fact of the matter is, LEGO will not make new molds when they have another piece already in existence that gets the job done. As I was saying, that's what LEGO is all about.

Edited by Foremast Jack

...but the simple fact of the matter is, LEGO will not make new molds when they have another piece already in existence that gets the job done. As I was saying, that's what LEGO is all about.

Like it's been pointed out, look at all the molds in PotC they didn't need, but decided to make anyway.

But you're overlooking the fact the round tile is a new mold. And a very obvious one that TLG have resisted making for a long time, only to suddenly introduce it when LotR becomes a theme. Not to mention the practical aspects of trying to mold a "ring" piece that can be easily held by a minifig without being too large. The tile piece just screams out to be used as the ring.

Yes, but if they do use the round tile,

I would expect them to have a hole in the middle of it.

I just took a look at the piece on BL, and, unlike what I thought before, the piece is more rounded off at the edges.

Could be a good way to use for the ring, but I hope they're just going to add a hole in it like I said before, or make the middle part transparent at the very least, somehow...

The existing transparent versions of the round tile piece already show some kind of hole (or something a bit more like a pentagon with an extra corner), so maybe that hints at something..

~ General Magma

Edited by General Magma

Personally, I'm hoping for the ring piece to be exactly that--a ring, preferably in chrome gold. It would be a shame for these to turn into "Lord of the Printed Round Tile" sets. :tongue:

That is what the One Ring will look like. Official TLG poster, generally means official TLG piece. :wink:

No, it doesn't. A lot of CGI is used, and many parts don't come out. :wink: The reasoning isn't right, but I do still believe that the Ring will be released. Not often are unreleased pieces focused on so prominently, and I don't think LEGO will skimp out on the entire point of the license.

That is what the One Ring will look like. Official TLG poster, generally means official TLG piece. :wink:

I really hope it will be shiny gold chrome then.

1x1 Round Tile (Pearl Gold) I look at this which is the closest thing to the ring so far and think no, just no :sadnew: I mean for such an important item if not THE most important item not to be a new part is just silly really

http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/ I look at this which is the closest thing to the ring so far and think no, just no :sadnew: I mean for such an important item if not THE most important item not to be a new part is just silly really

It still makes no sense for me why TLC made a compass on a square 1x1 tile, when they could do it like that :p

Anyway, I expect to find the ring in every set just as that stupid compass wich I got now 10 times or so (as in every set, you got 2 of them) :laugh:

1x1 Round Tile (Pearl Gold) I look at this which is the closest thing to the ring so far and think no, just no :sadnew: I mean for such an important item if not THE most important item not to be a new part is just silly really

Perhaps that gold round tile with the image of the ring is what we should all expect because it has to have strength for constantly being put into and removed from minifig hands. :wink:

No, it doesn't. A lot of CGI is used, and many parts don't come out. :wink: The reasoning isn't right, but I do still believe that the Ring will be released. Not often are unreleased pieces focused on so prominently, and I don't think LEGO will skimp out on the entire point of the license.

Including the Frodo hair. I see what you mean, but for the main focus of the theme, I think that a new mold is a necessity. Jack Sparrow's compass wasn't the main focus of the movies now was it? Thus, there really wasn't a need for a new mold. Also, the compass is usually in a square case anyway, so the new circle tile piece wasn't necessary. I really think that the new mold fo the Ring seen in the poster will be released, though, since there has been so much hype about it. Whatever the answer is, Toyfair will show/tell us. :wink:

What I dont grasp, is all of you people claiming that it will be 'printed', well how would that be done? :sceptic:

A gold circle on an already gold tile? How would it stand out from the tile?

Or would the 'elven' text be printed around the side which would be slightly better.

I suppose you could flip the tile upside down to make it look like it has a hole it but still, that doesnt sit well with me :thumbdown:

What I dont grasp, is all of you people claiming that it will be 'printed', well how would that be done? :sceptic:

A gold circle on an already gold tile? How would it stand out from the tile?

Or would the 'elven' text be printed around the side which would be slightly better.

I suppose you could flip the tile upside down to make it look like it has a hole it but still, that doesnt sit well with me :thumbdown:

If they were to print it, I would imagine it would be on a clear flat round 1x1 tile.