75 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding

The advantage of this mod is that it doesn't require any additional parts. However, the white of the 1-stud SNOT bricks shows a little. It might be an acceptable compromise for anyone who wants the set but is put off by the protruding clocks. :wink:

Thanks for putting up pictures of how it looks. You are probably right regarding the connection.

I tried this mod myself (thanks Holodoc for letting me mess with your models) and I don't like the flat background compared to the original model. I will try to make a true 3 wide model and see if it can work out.

Any spare parts,

Found this on flickr. :wink:

and how did you get hold of this set?

Thanks for reading! We hope you enjoyed the review. Many thanks to CopMike for making this possible, TLG for allowing us an early look at the set, and Hinckley for being such a good model! :wub:

Bought the last one in the London Westfield store. I really wanted two to explore alterations, but one will have to do for a while. A nice gentle build, but the clock face is ugly.

Picked up a second set at the weekend (along with the sopwith camel). Here is my go at a modded big Ben

WFmzr.png

The roof is tricky, I might try with the longer slatted cheese slopes to get a steeper pitch, but I'm pretty happy with this so far.

Edited by mrklaw

Thak you for the cool review. I have this set too and it's great.

I would like to share with you my opinion. The idea of the Architecture series is not to build 100% realistic replicas of the buildings but to reflect an essence of them from the artistic and architectural point of view using only basic, standard LEGO bricks, and I think it's very good idea which makes Series distinguished and exclusive. Slovenian architect did it really good in this set.

What about a clock brick. I don't know what to think about it. LEGO has had this brick with clock from many years ago and it shows a clock, so why not use it in this set? From the other hand it slightly provides a kind of dissonance to the rest of the project. However, all in all I think it is a good idea to use it and I can't find better solution.

Edited by Tommi1983

This works, but you have to rely on the 'X' at the back of the circular tiles clutching the stud sufficiently. It's a little weak, and possibly an illegal connection, which may be why it was rejected by the designer:

7118701023_29415b9747_z.jpg

The advantage of this mod is that it doesn't require any additional parts. However, the white of the 1-stud SNOT bricks shows a little. It might be an acceptable compromise for anyone who wants the set but is put off by the protruding clocks. :wink:

Just wanted to report that I bought a new Big Ben set at the store yesterday (a Meijer in Michigan, if anyone's curious), intending to do the above mod. I even had some tan 1-stud SNOT bricks in reserve to compensate for the white issue. To my pleasant surprise, the clock faces were NOT the old round 2x2 tiles with the "X" on the back! Rather, they were the more recent round 2x2 tiles with a bottom stud holder that have popped up in recent years:

14769pb001.jpg

I hadn't been aware these existed until now, but they made modding the set a cinch! I simply left off the tan 2x2 plates, clipping the clock faces directly to the SNOT bricks. I'm sure others have done this before me, of course, I just wanted to make sure that other people who find this thread by searching for Big Ben reviews and feedback (as I did) are made aware that at least SOME new copies of the set are shipping with the new, more convenient clocks!