@ grum64: I have a Woodworking hobby, and saw these parallel-jawed pliers: "English-made with heat-treated, flat-nosed jaws. Smooth-jawed model gives a tight, non-marking grip. Serrated model holds tightly and includes a lengthwise groove to hold wire or drilled rod." -- Mfg Brownells SPECS Both 5" (12.7cm) long, 1-1/8" (2.9cm) deep. Brownells is a firearms/shooting supply company, so if you could grip them, you may find them at a Sporting Goods store in the UK.

p_348181105_1.jpg

Good Evening

Thank you for taking the time to help me.

Looking at the picture, the way the jaws meet is exactly what I need. The tool pictured is, for me, a little bulky but you're spot on with the idea, great work & so quick.

My ideal tool would be a combination of my clamps and the tool suggested. The 'hoops' on each 'handle' (correct name would be appreciated), long, thin nose & the light weight of my clamps and the parallel alignment of the jaws when closing.

Thanks again for your help, very kind & much appreciated.

UPDATE 28/03/2012

While out today I called at a tool shop & found a tool very similar to what you suggested. The only real difference being a longer thinner nose and usefully, rubber coated handles (my dentist I'll be pleased!!!). I'll try them out tomorrow while trying to do a partial disassembly of my beloved Uni Mog ready for my attempt at motorisation.

Keep your fingers crossed. If you listen very carefully you might just hear the swearing!

UPDATE 30/03/2012

Yesterday didn't happen so am having a go at it now. Earplugs at the ready!!

Edited by grum64

You still looking? I have an 8421 with instructions but no box that I can let you have for what you sold your old set for. Let me know if you're interested. I'm in the UK and am guessing you are too?

BTW, your story is hugely inspiring, thanks for sharing with us.

My word, what a kind offer, I'm really moved & deeply appreciative.

I'm not in the position to fork out that amount of money having today treated our dear Grandson to the Lego 4439 Heavy Lift Police Helicopter and the 4440 Forest Police Station to complete his Forest Police collection. He knows the Police Station has no back on it so we'll sort that out once built, 'Them baddies need locking up!'

I'm sure you'll agree, that when it comes to the delight when he sees them and my delight when receiving an 8421, his joy is paramount. I can save up and have a look whats around when I've enough. Air Claw or 8421 aka 'The Legend'? A dilemma I hope not to be faced with!

Thank you though for your amazing offer, bearing in mind that you could easily get far more than £125 selling it elsewhere, is generosity above and beyond.....

PS Yes, you guessed right, I'm in the UK.

Edited by grum64

I have Asperger Syndrome + ADHD, i may be able to use both hands, but my brain tends to wander off from time to time making it harder to actually create something! So I do know in a way what you must be experiencing. :classic:

And I thought the bag builders had it tough! Massive respect to your patience, and I think the teaching of patience is one of the best qualities of LEGO. You have overcome so much more than most of us, and I realise now that I take my ability to build for granted. And all this has come from the innocence of a child who didn't judge you as unable to help him... so beautiful.

I have Asperger Syndrome + ADHD, i may be able to use both hands, but my brain tends to wander off from time to time making it harder to actually create something! So I do know in a way what you must be experiencing. :classic:

Hi.

Thank you for your reply.

At least with my disability people can see that I have a problem. With Aspergers & ADHD being 'hidden' complaints, I can't imagine what it must be like for you with the 'problems' you have and guess you've had more than your share of difficulties with the attitudes of other people. Society is at its cruelest when confronted with what that they don't understand.

I wish you well and hope that if you're already building Technic or if you decide to give it a go you experience some of the benefits & the joy it's bought me.

Hehe...like Max from Parenthood show right? I mean he has Asperger and plays with LEGO too :sweet:

grum64, I feel like your story made us all better.

Edited by Theo

And I thought the bag builders had it tough! Massive respect to your patience, and I think the teaching of patience is one of the best qualities of LEGO. You have overcome so much more than most of us, and I realise now that I take my ability to build for granted. And all this has come from the innocence of a child who didn't judge you as unable to help him... so beautiful.

Thank you.

Yes, our dear Jake is one of life's innocents & not just due to his young age.

He has in his short life been confronted with family members with various medical problems & different forms of disability from altzeimers to Downs Syndrone, deafness to, in my case tetraplegia.

He's never shyed away from any of them, instead showing a level of compassion, tenderness and care far beyond his years. He's never had to be made or cajoled into spending time with any of us. He always has a hug for us and though he may not be entirely sure of what it means, always says 'I love you'. There isn't a bad bone in his little body or word in his vocabulary. His 18 month old little brother is showing signs of being just like him.

People say we all need role models in life and usually those role models are our elders. I'm very fortunate, I have 2. My dear departed Grampy and a 4 1/2 year old little boy called Jake.

Edited by grum64

Hehe...like Max from Parenthood show right? I mean he has Asperger and plays with LEGO too :sweet:

grum64, I feel like your story made us all better.

You're very kind. Thank you.

This is a really intriguing story that - once again - shows that LEGO is so much more than a toy alone. Thank you for sharing this with us. Also I think that it is nearly impossible for us to imagine just how life looks when you can't do what most people can do. I hope you can find joy in not only building the sets, but discussing everything LEGO related here on the boards. I mean, it is one thing to enjoy something, it is a whole other thing to be able to discuss your passion with others.

Just out of curiosity, not sure if I can even ask this, but do you think you will ever be building MOCs?

PS of the Air Tech Claw Rig, be sure to check out the alternative model too. I think it's one of the best alternative models out there :)

Hi Erik

Just an update on the MOC question.

While maybe not a MOC in its truest sense I'm having a go at motorising my beloved 'Mog.

Spent yesterday trying to squeeze an XL motor into the chassis, between the rear wheels and the 'switch gear module' with an minimum of dissassembly. 51/4 hours and it's in.

Had to disconnect the shocks at their lower mounts and the remove 2 black pins holding the grey 3 stud axle from the top of the chassis. The rear 'mudguards' were removed but more by accident than design.

Todays been spent trying to carefully dissassemble the back of the cab to fit a motor for the steering. Half way there but the rest will have to wait 'till tomorrow.

02/04/2012

Today went well. Motor in all reassembled. But...

Gear wheels on wrong axles. Large on steering 'shaft', small gear wheel on motor. Looks daft.

Oh well, tomorrow's another day!

Edited by grum64

@Grum 64, I see you found some tweezers while I was away, great stuff! Good luck with motorizing the Mog! Let us know how it turns out. I had a go at making some technic tweezer/clamps for the purpose of clicking 2 adjacent beams together, they worked reasonably well when I tried, using my mouth only. Maybe it could be of some use to you. I experimented a bit with different lengths, this seemed ok but I won`t claim it`s optimal. I am using the right hand side to bite on, it would probably be more comfortable if I made that thicker at that end.

6898825388_4a4b27a15f.jpg

6898825362_a5d4d046ca.jpg

As I said, I am not much of a technic builder, I am sure there are others in this forum who can do a much better job, and I have not really optimised this design - it`s currently build to maximise the output with minimum flex, so that the pegs will click in. The three central pegs are the blue 3s, the others are the usual grey ones.

:classic:

@Grum 64, I see you found some tweezers while I was away, great stuff! Good luck with motorizing the Mog! Let us know how it turns out. I had a go at making some technic tweezer/clamps for the purpose of clicking 2 adjacent beams together, they worked reasonably well when I tried, using my mouth only. Maybe it could be of some use to you. I experimented a bit with different lengths, this seemed ok but I won`t claim it`s optimal. I am using the right hand side to bite on, it would probably be more comfortable if I made that thicker at that end.

6898825388_4a4b27a15f.jpg

6898825362_a5d4d046ca.jpg

As I said, I am not much of a technic builder, I am sure there are others in this forum who can do a much better job, and I have not really optimised this design - it`s currently build to maximise the output with minimum flex, so that the pegs will click in. The three central pegs are the blue 3s, the others are the usual grey ones.

WOW! I'm overwhelmed by your thoughtfulness. Thank you doesn't really seem adequate. It's one thing to have people kindly point me in the right direction as they've done but to go to the trouble of actually building & 'testing' a solution is, well, kinda, WOW!!! I'm lost for words. And out of Lego. Double WOW!!!

I'll try them out and let you know how it goes.

I'm really am incredibly grateful.

Not at all! I figured it was a lot easier for me to do the build and test than for you to do it. These have a maximum clamp width of around 2 technic beams with 1 peg installed, and the way I got them together was to clamp at one peg on the beam at a time, then slide up the beam and do another peg. With this design, it can be expanded in parallel to touch the beams at several points along their length by using axles instead of some of the pegs, and replicating the design further up. Let me know if you want me to have a go at this, or if you need any building instructions. It`s a relatively simple design but my photos are not that clear...as usual... I`m sure you can see what I mean about 8189 now, I just didn`t know how to express it :laugh::tongue:

They can also be expanded in clamp width, or length, to handle a wider gap, but when I tried this it came at the cost of some force transmission loss, because the beams bend. To make the pincer gap narrower, you could add another beam between the jaws so that it closes completely, if you want to adapt the design for picking stuff up etc. Anyway, let me know if you want me to try any mods. As I say, it is probably easier for me than for you, though I am sure there are builders with better ideas here. I am very happy to help, you have given so much to so many of us, and this is a small way to say thanks.

I'm touched by your story to say the very least. Truly inspiring, and you have nothing to worry about in the way of "babbling". Stories like yours need to be heard and appreciated.

I'm touched by your story to say the very least. Truly inspiring, and you have nothing to worry about in the way of "babbling". Stories like yours need to be heard and appreciated.

Thank you for taking the time to write such kind words.

Grum64 - to say I am in awe of you and your great abilities would be an understatement. The same also goes to Rodeown and the other guys who have actually found the strength to enjoy life and every little thing in it, despite any difficulties you are faced with. In my mind, disabled is the last thing one could ever call you; it's very much the other way round actually - so hats off!

Like most of the other guys & gals around here, I'm eager to see your future MOCs as well! I can imagine that it might feel weird in the beginning, but I am absolutely certain that once you get used to it, you will gain even more joy from your hobby. Besides, you look like the kind of person who could really come up with any brilliant type of thing - so enjoy your Air Tech Claw Rig - which I'm sure you'll manage to track down soon enough - and I hope it gives you some cool idea for a future MOC as well!

P.S.: It's stuff like this when you see what people are really capable of and how much of an inspiration every one of us can be to the others that makes me feel really honoured to be a member of this community-- even though I admit I'm not a Technic guy by a long shot... :sweet:

This was an amazing story to read, my hat goes off to you sir!

This was an amazing story to read, my hat goes off to you sir!

Thank you.

I see you're a newbie like me. May I be the first to say 'Welcome'.

Ain't this is a great place!!!!

Grum64 - to say I am in awe of you and your great abilities would be an understatement. The same also goes to Rodeown and the other guys who have actually found the strength to enjoy life and every little thing in it, despite any difficulties you are faced with. In my mind, disabled is the last thing one could ever call you; it's very much the other way round actually - so hats off!

Like most of the other guys & gals around here, I'm eager to see your future MOCs as well! I can imagine that it might feel weird in the beginning, but I am absolutely certain that once you get used to it, you will gain even more joy from your hobby. Besides, you look like the kind of person who could really come up with any brilliant type of thing - so enjoy your Air Tech Claw Rig - which I'm sure you'll manage to track down soon enough - and I hope it gives you some cool idea for a future MOC as well!

P.S.: It's stuff like this when you see what people are really capable of and how much of an inspiration every one of us can be to the others that makes me feel really honoured to be a member of this community-- even though I admit I'm not a Technic guy by a long shot... :sweet:

Hi.

I really must find another way of letting people know how much I appreciate the comments they've left. 'Thank you' is getting a bit repetitive and I don't want it to appear trivially left.

As for the MOC question. I'm going to have a go when I've finished motorising the 'Mog. I think I've accumulated enough pieces to give it a go. I've a few ideas, we'll see what happens.

Not at all! I figured it was a lot easier for me to do the build and test than for you to do it. These have a maximum clamp width of around 2 technic beams with 1 peg installed, and the way I got them together was to clamp at one peg on the beam at a time, then slide up the beam and do another peg. With this design, it can be expanded in parallel to touch the beams at several points along their length by using axles instead of some of the pegs, and replicating the design further up. Let me know if you want me to have a go at this, or if you need any building instructions. It`s a relatively simple design but my photos are not that clear...as usual... I`m sure you can see what I mean about 8189 now, I just didn`t know how to express it :laugh::tongue:

They can also be expanded in clamp width, or length, to handle a wider gap, but when I tried this it came at the cost of some force transmission loss, because the beams bend. To make the pincer gap narrower, you could add another beam between the jaws so that it closes completely, if you want to adapt the design for picking stuff up etc. Anyway, let me know if you want me to try any mods. As I say, it is probably easier for me than for you, though I am sure there are builders with better ideas here. I am very happy to help, you have given so much to so many of us, and this is a small way to say thanks.

Just to let you know I've made the clamps you kindly designed, built & tested and you're right. They're GREAT!!! Thank you so much for all your help.

They work a treat, makes joining beams very easy. And your design is easily scaleable. I have to repeat. They're GREAT!!!!

Thank you.

I see you're a newbie like me. May I be the first to say 'Welcome'.

Ain't this is a great place!!!!

Thankyou for the welcome grum64. I look forward to seeing your first MOC!

Edited by TimH

Sorry if my english is bad...

The only hope for living could be encouraged by a strong hobby of feeling about building.

I think build by yourself is one of the strongest point of LEGO. This AFOL's history is one clear example and the inspiration for "always improving"

What I can say about is that one of my LEGO introducers was an uncle of mine, disabled. He had only an arm with limited movement because a mining accident.

He taught me that sometimes the barriers are not the fact, only "want" is the fact.

Keep Going and thanks for your history

Sorry if my english is bad...

The only hope for living could be encouraged by a strong hobby of feeling about building.

I think build by yourself is one of the strongest point of LEGO. This AFOL's history is one clear example and the inspiration for "always improving"

What I can say about is that one of my LEGO introducers was an uncle of mine, disabled. He had only an arm with limited movement because a mining accident.

He taught me that sometimes the barriers are not the fact, only "want" is the fact.

Keep Going and thanks for your history

Yesterday, Fernando Correia posted this TechnicBRICKS topic about a "project aims do address the needs of people that lack enough strength to hold/grip an ordinary drinking glass." Read more about it there; here is an excerpt:

TBs_20120415_1a.jpgTBs_20120415_1b.jpg

Yesterday, Fernando Correia posted this TechnicBRICKS topic about a "project aims do address the needs of people that lack enough strength to hold/grip an ordinary drinking glass." Read more about it there; here is an excerpt:

TBs_20120415_1a.jpgTBs_20120415_1b.jpg

Hi

What an amazing design. Works a treat from the look of things. I use a special cup so don't have a use for this myself but I feel sure there are many who would.

You are obviously a man with real heart who thinks of and cares about his fellow man.

Edited by grum64

@grum64 - really sorry to hear about your accidents, that has to be devastating (not try to make you feel worse, please don't take it that way), but for you to build the 8258 by mouth is one heck of a feat, big round of applause to you, you are quite a guy who finds a way, very inspirational, thanks for sharing...I had a much, much less problem in 2010, I had a problem with my left hand (am left handed) and couldn't use my thumb, index or middle finger (obviously the fingers you use to grasp and put things into place) after the injury and I was downtrodden for quite a while that the hand and those fingers didn't the strength or dexterity to build, but I went through months of therapy and I have about 75% use of the fingers now, still weak but able to use them...

Hi Guys

I'm interested to know if there are any of you out there that are disabled and build Lego Technic.

In 1983 I had a motorcycle accident that left me a Tetraplegic and confined to a wheelchair.  Following a 10 month stay in hospital I was discharged to start my ‘new’ life.  Since then my days have consisted of reading, listening to music or sitting in front of a computer tapping away aimlessly trying to pass the time.  Only the music music gave me any real contentment.

Unfortunately I had another accident 4 years ago in which I received a severe blow to my head which has left my hearing badly damaged and now have severe tinnitus.  No more music. Until July last year I spent my time ‘wallowing’ in my own problems and wasn’t much fun to be around.

One day I received a request from my 4 year old grandson, Jake. He'd broken a little car he'd made and wanted me to help him put it back together.  Although I have no use of my hands I didn’t have the heart to say no so after a bit of stalling and quick thinking I set about trying to help him by holding pieces in my mouth and guiding them to their ‘destination’. Although not always successful I persevered, had great fun and felt a real feeling of achievement & pride. The concentration also helped my tinnitus to the point that my moods have changed completely. That first set was the 8402 Sports Car and with Jakes help took nearly a week. Following that I bought & built the 7638 Tow Truck, 7737 Coast Guard 4WD & Trailer and 7942 Off Road Fire Rescue set. These all took several weeks.

After doing these sets I now considered myself to be an expert Legoer!!!  As I was now ‘an expert’ I decided to challenge myself so I bought the 7743 Mobile Police Command Centre and to my surprise I managed to complete it, all using my mouth and only needing help twice.  It had taken me 3 weeks but I did it. I was so proud of myself I had what can only be described as a mad moment. I thought I'd try something a little bigger, maybe a Technic set. I whilst looking around I saw the 8258 Crane Truck on Amazon for £62.99 and bought it. My reasoning being if I couldn't build it I can always sell it.

Well, cutting a long story short, after about 6 hours a day, 6 days a week and 22 weeks in total it was done. 1800+ parts all by mouth. The stickers were the only things I didn't do.

Since then I've built the 8725 Bulldozer, 8043 Excavator, 8053 Mobile Crane, 8458 Silver Champion, 8285 Tow Truck, 8466 4 x 4, 8274 Combine Harvester, 8416 Fork Lift, 8048 Buggy (which I've motorised), 8262 Quad Bike, 8264 Rally Truck & numerous other smaller technic sets.

You might say I'm hooked! I scour the internet, eBay, Gumtree, Friday Ads etc looking for boxed sets at a good price with my best bargain being the Silver Champion & Tow Truck bought together from Gumtree for £30 inc delivery!

My crowning glory and the one I feel most proud of is my latest build. The 8110 Uni Mog. I now know the meaning of the phrase 'The ecstasy and the Agony!' The only parts not fitted by me (not for want of trying!) was the pneumatic tubes.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone in a similar situation to myself.

Sorry if I've gone on a bit but there's no quick way of explaining an obsession!!!

UPDATE

I feel I must explain how I build so as not to mislead anyone.

As I said, I have no use of my hands, I'm unable to move my fingers.  The use of my arms while limited is enough to enable me to reach parts and either 'drag' them towards me or, after (I know, Yuk!) licking the end of a finger to make it 'sticky', pick small pieces up. 

The sets pieces emptied from their bags into the sets box by my very dear (and very understanding) wife and using a spoon straped to my hand I load them into into sorting cases. I have acquired from various sources, 12 of the (8062) Technic Briefcases. Some with some without the sets. Each has 2 trays and numerous adjustable dividers and as they're shallow they're better to reach into.

Larger pieces are picked either by mouth (like a chicken pecking, I've been told) wedging the piece between 2 fingers or using a pair of artery forceps, a surgeons tool similar to a pair of scissors (hitherto referred to as clamps). I hook my thumb through one loop and hold the other loop in my mouth.

90% of the pieces are picked up, joined, worked on by mouth but when I can't do this the same clamps and method described above are used sometimes to fix awkwardly sited friction pins in place or help squeeze pieces together. This though can cause a  problem that one of you guys might be able to help me with. I'll explain at the end of this very long winded piece.

If the clamps won't do the job I find a swift whack with the solid part of the side of my hand, or Grum Knock as my Grandson calls it, often does the trick.

One other method is to use a thick terracotta coaster. The pieces to be joined are slid up against the side of the case and the coaster up to the pieces. It's then a matter of a few of the aforementioned whacks and usually 'hey presto' they're joined. However, pieces have been known to go flying of the table until gravity takes over and it, rather inconveniently, lands on the floor. One piece was found on the patio having flown out the conservatory window! Note to self: It's better to sweat than to swear!

I've also made  'cradles' from Lego to hold assemblies in place while working on them and use axles threaded through pieces to hold them in alignment while trying to join them.

I've found that with a bit of lateral thinking and a few house hold bits and pieces I do get things done. All except those pesky pneumatic tubes. 

Again, I'm sorry for babbling on but I felt it necessary, after reading all your kind words, to make it clear what I can and can't do.  If it helps, for those who might know, I'm a C4/5 (complete) tetraplegic.

Now for my problem. I'll try to explain as best I can and hope I make sense.

When 'squeezing' the clamps together to join pieces, due to the way the clamps close i.e. like scissors, the pieces go flying. This is mostly a problem when joining beams together with friction pins.

Due to the way the clamps close the pressure applied to the beam is all concentrated on the top outer edges of each forcing them to part from the bottom.

I need to find the similar size & type of clamp but with jaws, that when closing, don't close in 'an ever decreasing V' but remain parallel to each other so as to exert equal pressure on the whole side of each beam.

I hope this makes sense. Any help or ideas would be very much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

@grum64 - really sorry to hear about your accidents, that has to be devastating (not try to make you feel worse, please don't take it that way), but for you to build the 8258 by mouth is one heck of a feat, big round of applause to you, you are quite a guy who finds a way, very inspirational, thanks for sharing...I had a much, much less problem in 2010, I had a problem with my left hand (am left handed) and couldn't use my thumb, index or middle finger (obviously the fingers you use to grasp and put things into place) after the injury and I was downtrodden for quite a while that the hand and those fingers didn't the strength or dexterity to build, but I went through months of therapy and I have about 75% use of the fingers now, still weak but able to use them...

Thank you for your kind words.

I'm sorry to read of the problems you been having with your fingers & hope that with continued therapy you continue improving.

Building the 8258 was difficult, it took me around 15 weeks building most days. It's a very impressive 'model'.

I've recently built the 8110 Uni Mog & have just about finished motorising it. Just doing a few minor alterations and it'll be done.

As you've found, if you set your mind to do something you can do it. If you enjoy doing it it gives you an extra dose of determination.

Thanks again for taking the time to write.