Hinckley

LEGO Superheroes 2012 Rumours & Discussion

Finally some pictures! :cry_happy: I'll get the TDKR set no matter what! Is this the first official Gordon fig? The Mr.Freeze fig looks great, I'll probably pick that set up, too, along with the Venom one, and the ones with Nick Fury and Dr.Doom. I don't know anything about Nova and Beetle, are they from the Spiderman cartoon?

That seems to me to be the same exact Dark Knight Torso from 2008. :sweet: Guess it was so accurate in 2008, they didn't need to redo it.

No no, the 2008 torso is bad. this torso uses the 2011 sdcc exclusive batman print. but that was black (glorious) and this one is gray (boo)

Wait Wait Wait!!!! Gordon is wearing a SWAT suit. He wore that in the seen in The Dark Knight when he arrests Joker before he almost kills Batmn. That means we are getting The Drak Knight sets too.

That seems to me to be the same exact Dark Knight Torso from 2008. :sweet: Guess it was so accurate in 2008, they didn't need to redo it.

Another thing, since none of these figs look good (and not crappy/decaled like last years summer figs) could the figs all be in January sets? There are about 20 different ones, just about as many were in this years DC wave. (23, 19 different) :sweet:

Also, should we have a 2013 Rumors and Discussion now?

I'm guessing these are first wave, and second wave will be "Man of Steel" and "Iron Man 3"

This is my educated guess based on the minifig combinations:

Arkham Asylum - Black Winged Batman, Nightwing, Joker in Prison Suit, Scarecrow, Doctor Harley Quinn, Poison Ivy, The Penguin, Prison Guard Mr. Freeze vs. White Batman and Aquaman set

TDKR set - TDKR Batman, Bane, Comm. Gordon possibly in a "Bat"/Batwing and/or Cammo Tumbler set

Ultimate Spider-man Set #1 - Spiderman, Venom, Nick Fury (?)

Ultimate Spider-man Set#2 - Spiderman, Beetle, Nova, Dr. Doom, JJJ (?)

Just my hunches.

OOH i like the sound of those. (though an arkham with that many figures is bound to be expensive (£100++++) :sad:

Wait Wait Wait!!!! Gordon is wearing a SWAT suit. He wore that in the seen in The Dark Knight when he arrests Joker before he almost kills Batmn. That means we are getting The Drak Knight sets too.

No this swat west isn't the same. The situation is getting dire in tdkR aswell, He'll need to gear up again.

Wouldn't it be 'cool' if Mr Freeze got the goggles on the 2nd face expression. :thumbup:

BTW are these the figures of wave 3, combining Marvel and DC or is it the case like last year where they show us wave 3 and 4 minifigures.

So its seems there are TDKR sets...Hmmm, so much for those doubters...CAN'T WAIT!

Yeah, if anyone needs me I'll be off eating my hat. Color me extremely surprised that TLG is designing sets for such a maturely themed movie.

Wouldn't it be 'cool' if Mr Freeze got the goggles on the 2nd face expression. :thumbup:

BTW are these the figures of wave 3, combining Marvel and DC or is it the case like last year where they show us wave 3 and 4 minifigures.

I think they are splitting the wave for both Marvel and DC for the january wave, so that they can do the same later for Man of Steel and Iron Man 3 sets.

I believe Wave 3, and that wave 4 will be Iron Man 3 sets and Man of Steel sets.

I'm not a big superheroes fan of any kind, like them, don't really get into them. But this stuff looks really cool. The original Arkham is really cool, hopefully the new one is just as good, but I have been a little disappointed with the new Batman sets vs. the originals. This also isn't helping my anticipation of the new movie either.

Yeah, if anyone needs me I'll be off eating my hat. Color me extremely surprised that TLG is designing sets for such a maturely themed movie.

Well they are basing sets on the Lord of the Rings movies and those are violent. Besides other toy companies are making Action figures for the Dark Knight Rises.

I am kinda disappointed in the DC offering. I really expected to see some new mini figures. I want Manbat, Green Lantern, Flash, Cyborg, Clayface to name a few. I really do not need a 3rd Ivy. While a Joker is always welcomed I have 2 and would not mind waiting for the 3rd. I really do not think Penguin or Scarecrow needed updating either.

The Marvel mini figures are a nice surprise. I wanna see more Avenger or X-men related figures though.

Awesome news! Not really fussed on TDKR minifigures and I think I can pass on most of the Marvel ones. The DC figures however, shall be mine! Though still no Flash and that makes me grumble, but at this rate I'm sure we'll get one. And if it's a convention exclusive I will literally scream and hunt someone down! That said, fingers crossed :grin:

(though an arkham with that many figures is bound to be expensive (£100++++) :sad:

Yeah it is expected to be the largest of the Batman sets - basing on the size of the previous release and it makes sense to include as many villain prisoners as possible to 'populate' the Arkham prison cells. Besides, this would be a structure-based set and not a vehicle-based one (which I assume is more sellable), so the minifigs will be the selling point of this big set. It can be likened to the recent Jabba's Palace set - 8+ awesome minifigs in a decent-but-not-so-great palace build.

Well they are basing sets on the Lord of the Rings movies and those are violent.

There's a world of difference, though, between the fantasy type of violence in LotR and the more 'grim and gritty, real world' violence in the Nolan Batfilms. There's even a world of difference between the Burton Batfilms and the Nolan ones.

Besides other toy companies are making Action figures for the Dark Knight Rises.

Just because other toy companies are making toys based on TDKR doesn't mean LEGO has to. They've repeatedly nixed licensing ideas from CUUSOO that made it to the 10k threshold because the themes of the source material are supposedly too incompatible with their corporate policy and target demographic. The Nolan Batfilms are WAY darker thematically than, say, Firefly, which didn't make the cut. My 5 y/o daughter has watched all the Star Wars films save for 'Revenge of the Sith'. In another couple of years I'll introduce her to the Indiana Jones series, The Avengers and its lead-ups, and LotR series (and let her see RotS), but it will be a long time before she sees the Nolan Batfilms.

Well for kids its jsut another costume/design for the batman universe, and they see ads and other toys with these designs. so it makes sense for lego to try and make some money on that. And it'll propably sell abit more to adult fans.

Its not like theyre basing the whole line/wave on these movies.

Besides its a chanse for them to make the sick bat vehicles! The bat and BLACK tumbler please. ( I know thats unlikely in one set)

Wow! Awesome figs! I really need to get all of the Marvel sets! Escpecially with those awesome figs! I dont mind to much on the DC side, i'll maybe pick a few of those up. Im really exited for those Fury and Nova minifigs! They look beautiful! :wub:

Disapointed by the lack of X-Men and Nightwing, but everything else looks good so far.

Gordon, Freeze, Scarecrow, Doom, Venom and TDKR Bane are the standouts.

Well for kids its jsut another costume/design for the batman universe, and they see ads and other toys with these designs. so it makes sense for lego to try and make some money on that. And it'll propably sell abit more to adult fans.

Its not like theyre basing the whole line/wave on these movies.

Ultimately, I realize all of that - they're a business, and it's definitely a move that will make money. It's just a bit hypocritical in light of continual phrases like "the film {fill in the blank} contains content that is not appropriate for our core target audience of children ages 6-11." You could easily put "The Dark Knight Rises" in that blank, and that phrase is a direct quote from the decision that was handed down on The Winchester from "Shaun of the Dead". I took them at their word on that, and I'm surprised and disheartened to see that I was wrong to do so.

Still hoping Killer Moth shows up eventually. If not now, some time before the license expires. I'm happy with all the figures shown. They all look great, especially Venom, Gordon, and Scarecrow. Dr Harley (with her costume just visible under her jacket) is great, and I'm even happy to see Aquaman. The real gem of the bunch, to me, has to be Mr Freeze. He's absolutely incredible. So much more detail than the original and the head print is fantastic. Wow!

Ultimately, I realize all of that - they're a business, and it's definitely a move that will make money. It's just a bit hypocritical in light of continual phrases like "the film {fill in the blank} contains content that is not appropriate for our core target audience of children ages 6-11." You could easily put "The Dark Knight Rises" in that blank, and that phrase is a direct quote from the decision that was handed down on The Winchester from "Shaun of the Dead". I took them at their word on that, and I'm surprised and disheartened to see that I was wrong to do so.

but they are using the "mature" designs/vehicles, but setting it to the general batman universe.

"batman" is as much a kids thing as an adult thing.

"shaun of the dead" is a franchise only ever meant for more mature audiences.

Batman has an anchor in content for children is the key.

I think they reject projects more due to the cost of license. It could be the cost of the license will exceed expected purchase. Say the "Shaun of the Dead" license is 3 mil.... The Winchester set would retail for 199.00. There are 10,000 likes with the project so saying if all 10,000 of those people bought it for the 199.00 price they would only return 1,990,000. That kinda comes up short in the profit range. You also have to deduct cost of production as well.