Sign in to follow this  
Norro

Promotional Treasure Chest

Since eBay auctions are only in the eBay database for 90 days we better extract as much information as possible from this auction - otherwise it will be lost at sea forever. The images should really go into a Brickshelf folder...

Here's the description

This brand-new, never-before-used or displayed 220 Piece Lego Treasure Chest Bank (all pieces included with this auction) with full color parts list and step-by-step instructions is going to bring a spark to your child's eye.

Designed by Master Lego Builders at Legoland California (the experts who build mini-land and the other large Lego displays in the park), it was the subject of the 2006 annual Master Builders Class given exclusively to Life-Time members at Legoland. Obtainable only by Life-Time Members, and only if they attended the class.

You will receive the treasure chest fully assembled, with all pieces included. Chest top opens/closes and has a snap lock on the front. Slot in top is provided to drop coins inside.

You will also receive a full color parts list and full color step-by-step instructions, should you decide to take it apart and put it back to together - which, of course, you will! Instructions are titled "Legoland California, Ambassador Class 2006." ("Ambassadors" are Life-Time Members at Legoland California.)

I did not know lego did this sort of thing... Makes you wish there was a Legoland nearer home...

God bless,

Nathan

Yes it does Mr Norro, but fortunately you're a lot lot lot closer to a LEGO Land than I am. There aren't even any LEGO Lands in this hemisphere... That's something I'll have to work on in the future...

I am going to Legoworld (5 day Lego convention in Holland) with my girlfriend tomorrow. I guess I am a very lucky man!

Do you think they'll have these treasure chests at Legoworld, Mr Jamtf? And if they do would you purchase one?

It's cool, but the construction seems pretty easy to emulate from the pics.

A couple black bricks, a couple brown bricks, and some yellow parts... bammo.

Easy... though not in those colors lol.

... ...is it me, or does it look like there's no hinges? And if there isn't, how're they holding up the lid in the pic where the bricks are coming off in back?

EDIT: Now that I think about it, there's probably 2 of the same joint piece on the back as the one on the front. Because it's not 1x2 swiveling angle bricks.

I doubt they still have them. They have these in LLCA : llca27-1.jpg , for the opening of the Pirates world area there in CA.

I can see two of the new yellow click hinges...

God Bless,

Nathan

EDIT:

Missed that last post... those look great as well... you're pulling at my pirate heart strings...

God Bless,

Nathan

Easy... though not in those colors lol.

If it was easy to produce then noone would buy them from the Lego Lands and the The LEGO Company would get no money and that would be very sad. For them :'-(

People who are too lazy and don't know better won't buy the parts to make the chest, or any other set that's easy to make.

I'll have to see if I can build my own copy of this set. If only I could bet a pic of the full list of parts and quantities... Would I get a response? :-D :-) :-/ :-(

What do you mean by "get a response" Governor Broadside? You definitely get a response from us because we love to give responses!

I mean, if I asked the seller if I could get a pic of the whole list of parts that's printed on the polybag, would I get a response from them?

I'm sure I could build it, when I've got enough free time...

If it was easy to produce then noone would buy them from the Lego Lands and the The LEGO Company would get no money and that would be very sad. For them :'-(

Well... no. lol

Look at the parts... nothing very exotic. And it's only a few bricks high.

The reason it'd be easy (for us) is because the eBay seller dropped 3 more or less all-encompassing pics to go by. ;-)

Someone lookin' at at unbuilt one in a poly bag would still get it.

If you read the description you will notice that the seller says that this set was given only to lifetime members of legoland and only if they attended this certain conference, hence the small number available and probably why no-ones ever heard of this set.

and as for the hinges, there are the flat hinges with 2 fingers on the chest setion, joined to 2x1 hinges with 3 fingers on the lid. The handles on the side are simply joined onto headlight bricks and every other part seems pretty normal. No really special ones in there, should be a peice of cake to build.

amazing they are offering lego pirate related items for those occasions, while they're not even producing a pirate theme anymore.

The reason it'd be easy (for us) is because the eBay seller dropped 3 more or less all-encompassing pics to go by. ;-)

Well one of us better build one very soon if its that easy.

Meanwhile I've uploaded all the pics to Brickshelf because they'll disappear 3 months after the auction ends.

chest1.jpg

Took about 30 minutes to make. I got the back wall wrong at first. I believe it has to shift in by a half stud thickness using a jumper plate, otherwise the chest does not open and close properly. I think that you can appreciate this in the pictures on the eBay link.

Maybe I'm wrong and there's another way to do this - I didn't give this a lot of careful thought or anything.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/gylman/P...st/pa210102.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/gylman/P...st/pa210103.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/gylman/P...st/pa210104.jpg

It's kinda flimsy, especially at the back, because in order to get those nice yellow corners on the chest, the back wall is a single block with no overlaps to any other walls to make it strong. It only attaches at the floor.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/gylman/P...st/pa210105.jpg

It could be easily fixed up using a few corner bricks or plates on the inside of the chest, but I didn't see them in the pictures.

The front latch in yellow was the only part I was missing in yellow, so I used black, and I didn't quite get the height of the latch right, but otherwise I think it is identical externally. It would have been nice to have a picture of how it looks like from the back. Like many such models, it tends to look better from the front than from the back.

gylman, did you buy parts to make your own, or do you have an official copy?

Parts from my bins (plus I cannibalized the yellow chest-cover hinges from my Sheriff's Lock-up set (6764)- the hinges in yellow are the only rare parts in this set I think)

I don't think you can buy this set (ebay etc excepted of course)