The down gear option at the wheel ports are recommended 8/24. I'm wondering if 24T white clutch gear can be use? I read about slipping, power eating topic here: http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=43059

Are we showing any concern about 9398 motors especially it tends to stall during playtime?

Motor stalling characteristic

http://philohome.com...s/motorcomp.htm

The down gear option at the wheel ports are recommended 8/24. I'm wondering if 24T white clutch gear can be use? I read about slipping, power eating topic here: http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=43059

Are we showing any concern about 9398 motors especially it tends to stall during playtime?

Motor stalling characteristic

http://philohome.com...s/motorcomp.htm

My 9398 would stall cause of a bad battery box. It didn't put out all the power it should have. Ran some tests and tried my other battery boxes and now there is much better power. A bad shock came with the set as well, truck would lean like the Unimog! :)

My 9398 would stall cause of a bad battery box. It didn't put out all the power it should have. Ran some tests and tried my other battery boxes and now there is much better power.

I've never came across something like that but all my stallings are when the wheels were jammed or caught by obstacles. Sometimes a "wheee" sound coming out of the motors.

Extract from Sariel on Gears. I believed there're pro & cons:

http://sariel.pl/2009/09/gears-tutorial/

Interesting, but it seem like the motion lack about 2sec behind control?

The one stud thick arm looks a little flimsy, maybe you could make a truss system?

tim

It pulls a 2.8KG load so I think it is strong enough :)

I am going to change it to make the arm fold in and out, when I do this I will be making it stronger.

I had a question, I just got this model and it leans to one side. Could this be an issue with the shock or the servo?

Thanks.

It's the shock(s). Someone else mentioned this before(this thread?). I also had this problem. Try switching the shocks around, that worked for me.

It's the shock(s). Someone else mentioned this before(this thread?). I also had this problem. Try switching the shocks around, that worked for me.

It was me. Flip it upside down so you can find out which spring is weak. I also had a junk battery box putting out weak voltage. Brand new store bought set go figure.

thanks guys, I confirmed it was the shock. oddly enough when switching rear shocks side to side it sits perfectly straight now.

Another question- for the xl motors, are there additional parts needed or can they be implemented with the stock pieces of the 9398 ?

A small mod Imade to my 9398 which seemed nicer in my mind than in reality, but should leave room for lots of extra features:

2hxmwax.jpg

2e4avc8.jpg

Edited by Rockbrick

I love it, very original! I think it would look much better if you removed the color vomit panels, they ruin the beauty of the studded beams.

By the way, welcome to Eurobricks!

I love it, very original! I think it would look much better if you removed the color vomit panels, they ruin the beauty of the studded beams.

By the way, welcome to Eurobricks!

Thanks for the welcome.... I left the doors as it was just a trial fit - I would love to have the blue seats on there and the V4 engine in the back with the yellow fan

wul7io.jpg

Edited by Rockbrick

I plan to convert my 9398 to a yellow boss, just needs some more parts, though my yellow panels are already complete :classic:

sorry for the necroposting, but i finished my mod on 9398. this is my first ever original work with technic, i am very proud of it and i'd like to share.

we know the problems with this (not) crawler, so i work hard to increase the perfomance. i made two new engine blocks with these features:

-xl motors, but with the same overall height of the original one. you can see in photos a prototype at 90% near the original one.

-no differentials, same gear reduction of the original one, incresead gear reduction before wheels.

-4 studs larger, so a larger base for the crawler. this helps a lot with lateral tilt. you can see photos over a guitar case. the original can't stay in that inclination, and roll on the side.

-suspensions layout reworked. front/lateral inclination helps a lot to decrease the center of gravity, without change the height of the crawler. with the new scheme, the height is equal to the original. it is possible to connect suspensions in the original point of the chassis, and the crawler will be 1 studs higher.

-same steering angle of the orginal, but with reinforced axles, so now they don't bend under hight torque.

-increased front angle attack with no part out of wheels, and for the same porpuse i removed the front bumper.

-ansmann tires

-the two new blocks are very strong, as the originals.

this is my google+ album:

https://plus.google....602721894295745

this is a video. it was night and very dark, but you can have an idea of performance

i attach also the lxf file. :) motore 9398.lxf

ps: apologize for english.