Thought I would post some pics and my thoughts on set 8069 Backhoe Loader.

Finally got around to putting togeather my 8069 Backhoe set that I got for Chrissy.

8069_backhoe_loader.jpg

I was very surprised how much this set has going on inside it given the size of the model:

Usual steering operated from the top of the cabin (HOG style)

Front Bucket lift being carried out through the use on the mini linear actuators on the side of the vehicle controlled by the gear located up and rear of the front wheels. Scoop dump is operated by rotating the exhaust pipe.

8069_backhoe_front_bucket.jpg

Rear bucket lift and dump operated by mini linear actuators, controlled like the HOG steering at the top of the cabin.

8069_backhoe_rear_bucket2.jpg

Bit closer look at the rear mini actuators.

8069_backhoe_rear_bucket3.jpg

Slewing of the rear bucket is controlled via a worm gear.

8069_backhoe_rear_bucket.jpg

The outriggers are a simple over centre locking mechanisim.

8069_backhoe_out_rigger.jpg

Looking underneath (sorry about image quality).

8069_underside.jpg

Wrap up:

What can I say, I would highly recommend this set to anyone as I feel for the price range that set 8069 falls into, you get exactly what I feel Technic is all about; a set that is very mechanical as well as has the ability to provide hours of playability for the younger builders of Technic. (My 4 year old decided the Backhoe was Scoop from Bob the Builder).

The set is reasonably robust, as can be attested by my quality control inspector (again my 4 year old daughter).

The only area I feel has an issue is the slewing of the rear bucket via the worm gear. No major problems just an area to be careful with as it binds every now and again.

This would be a fantastic acquisition for any Technic fan and for such a small set to have 4 mini linear actuators in it. I am sure this would be a great source of components for MOC builders at a very reasonable price.

Jamie :classic:

This is one of my favorite Technic sets. It just has so many functions and playability in such a compact frame that it is a pure joy to play with and build. I also really like the bucket-tilting mechanism, how it's hidden as the exhaust pipe of the engine, and the little pedal in the drivers cabin it moves.

This would be a fantastic acquisition for any Technic fan and for such a small set to have 4 mini linear actuators in it. I am sure this would be a great source of components for MOC builders at a very reasonable price.

This is the exact reason I bought it, for the mini linear actuators :-) They are very good for making electric train switches :-) The selection of other parts in this is great as well, and I was able to pick it up at 25% discount, which made it all the more value for money !

Judging by your review I might have to give the model itself a go as well though :)

It's definitely one of my favorites out of the sets that I own. Not only that, but it's the one set everybody from toddlers to twenty-somethings wants to play with when they visit me - and it's strong enough that my three-year-old can play with it and I don't have to fix it every five minutes while she's playing. Awesome value for money.

The slewing mechanism really is the only disappointing part, but even that is not too bad.

This was my 2nd technic set, bought last August with 40% off together with my yet unopened unimog and the small helicopter, and the small car.

My son loves it, and now we are building the B-model. He can't wait for me to finish. Very good playability, and interesting to build. I agree on the good value.

Just got the small 2010 excavator at 50% off as well.

I build stuff, and the B-model, and sometimes isingle set MOCs after inspiration from Grohl. Has not yet started to mix sets.

Hmm...I thing I saw this set recently on sale in store close by...After reading your review I'm really tempted to give it a try. Especially because those 4 mini linear actuators wouldn't be bad to have...

Hmm...I thing I saw this set recently on sale in store close by...After reading your review I'm really tempted to give it a try. Especially because those 4 mini linear actuators wouldn't be bad to have...

Just something to keep in mind is that the base of the mini actuators has the same size (close to it anyway) as the full size actuator, even uses the same gears as the full size linear actuators.

I am glad my review has inspired others to look into this model as I definatly enjoyed building this one and is one of the more interesting in it's size and price range.

Jamie :classic:

Edited by PlaneCrazy

I will definitely be buying this set as soon as I can either find one near me or one a nice and cheap online ;-)

Just bought my second set for 19,99 in Toys'R'us Klagenfurt, Austria. They had 50% off sale. You have to love this Backhoe, so much functions, on such a tight space. And of course those mini LA's rock's.

I really like this set, and it's a great value for the money. Interesting build, plus you get the mini-LAs. I'll buy a second one for parts, if I find one on sale. :thumbup:

Yesterday, I bought 2 of them.

It´s a nice set with a very good amount of pieces.

I don´t want to test it in extreme, but got the linear actuators a slip clutch like the big ones?