lightningtiger

Danish Village Street

Endless searching is what I have been doing using Goggle Maps to learn about Danish villages and towns....so I guess you could call this still a W-I-P....a fusion of Lego City with the real Denmark. :wink:

lego_danish_street_97.jpglego_danish_street_98.jpglego_danish_street_99.jpg

Comments and suggestions please feel free to reply

Could you please show us some of the reference pictures you used for inspiration? I think that would help us understand the nature of the look you're going for.

Well 'ciano', it's hard to find images....

750px-Jens_Baggesens_Vej.jpg

Post10.jpg

These might help along the way. :wink:

More to come.

Now I'll insert an edit here....you might ask what makes the buildings Danish inspired....note the sign on the post office and the '9-21' on the front wall....open times 9am to 9pm....all Danish supermarkets appear to have this on the building or front signage. :wink:

Oh, yeah the cars keep right in the shots.....I'll improve this shortly. :wink:

Edited by lightningtiger

Nice to have a theme,

typical danish to me is plain white or even yellow houses with 45´ red roof with no overhang at all.

So the country is made for lego (or the reverse probably) just dragging the google maps guy around

and enabling the pictures on the map will give you a good idea.

Thanks 'pacc' for your comments, your right about buildings in Denmark....I would the buildings are simple designs (unless they are 19th century or earlier built). I'll be adding the 7993 into the mix as well as this years police station....as this is a fusion build, what a Danish town would look if built out of Lego with Lego inspiration and ideas. :wink:

A cross-walk, bus stop and pay phone will be on the cards...again fusing real with Lego set ideas. :wink:

Any suggestions.....?

Keep watching ! :classic:

A few days pass and it's starting to look very Danish. :wink:

lego_danish_street_95.jpglego_danish_street_96.jpg

{updates for the next three days in this post only unless I'm replying]

Comments welcome. :classic:

Quick edit - I'm currently working on an automated petrol station.....30% complete - I was burning the midnight oil last night.

I was going to fuse actual city sets into the mix but I might just make it MOC's instead....not sure yet..was does everyone think ?

Quickie No.2 - I have decided to remove both the 7993 and 3661 bank from the mix....which means I can redesign the ATM ! :grin:

A hardware store plus a flat above the minimart is planned.....any other suggestions feel free. :classic:

Edited by lightningtiger

I dont feel it like an danish street, I'm Norwegian, ang had any trip to Denmark, so i dont see any danish in these!!!

I mean nothing negative about danish people, i love them, but they has they own way to build their house!!

Edited by Brick2DaBone

I dont feel it like an danish street, I'm Norwegian, ang had any trip to Denmark, so i dont see any danish in these!!!

I mean nothing negative about danish people, i love them, but they has they own way to build their house!!

Well, I've never been there myself, but using Goggle Maps is a powerful tool and I'm just adding a little Danish to everything....the cross-walk, the post office and minimart...all have either signage similar to those found in Denmark or style of structure all fused with Lego City design ideas. :wink:

More to come once the paint has dried on the base board....money is tight and I haven't any spare road boards. :blush:

Edit time - still waiting for the board to dry and well the response has been a little light :blush: so I added more Danish to it the only way I know.....Tigerize it ! :laugh:

lego_danish_street_94.jpg

Edit time No.2

lego_danish_street_93.jpg

Edit time No.3

lego_danish_street_92.jpg

Edited by lightningtiger

I have been to Denmark myself, and I really don't see it coming out in here either. It looks just like your town does, and that's great with all the detail you put into it. I recognise that as being a fellow Aussie I know all the stores etc. So when your title says "Something totally different from an Aussie !" to me, at first glance, it looks exactly the same.

But I am just curious. Why would you decide to go the the other side of the world and create a Danish LEGO town all of a sudden? As you say, it is hard to research... :wacko: so you don't really have much to go on, so making a generic town and adding Dansih decals doesn't seem to work for me. But it looks like you are having fun anyhow. :classic:

I have been to Denmark myself, and I really don't see it coming out in here either. It looks just like your town does, and that's great with all the detail you put into it. I recognise that as being a fellow Aussie I know all the stores etc. So when your title says "Something totally different from an Aussie !" to me, at first glance, it looks exactly the same.

But I am just curious. Why would you decide to go the the other side of the world and create a Danish LEGO town all of a sudden? As you say, it is hard to research... :wacko: so you don't really have much to go on, so making a generic town and adding Dansih decals doesn't seem to work for me. But it looks like you are having fun anyhow. :classic:

No, it's not like my two year build at all, I set the limits at Lego only parts, not stickered or fabric merchandise and the only stickering either Lego original MS-paint treated or yes, Danish signage.

The service station is like one's you find in Denmark (of course Lego-ised), the minimart frontage with the tall window entrance is quite common - perhaps the hardware store is more Lego than anything else but parts are limited in some respects.

This is a challenge to do my first oversea's big build, my next will be harder.....a Scottish Village with structures pre-dating the 20th Century. In parts of Denmark I view via the power of Google Maps many of the buildings appear post 1950's....no need to go further there do we. :sadnew:

Thanks for the feedback anyway 'Izzy', lucky you if you've been there....my finance's will never great enough to go there. :sadnew:

I just have to try a few other tricks, the yellow service truck will be restickered and I'm planning a police car....all these stickers have been though MS-paint.

Keep watching ! :classic:

Hello LT :classic:

If you miss Danish inspired streets go to Google Maps and type in

72 Algade, 5500 Middelfart denmark

Go into street mode. I'm taking you to a pedestrian street, just "go" along the road.

- Then you can decide whether you would progress futher with your Danish city :classic:

At your right;

Mr. Andersen (clothes store)

Nordea (a nation wide bank)

Det gamle bageri (bakery)

Louis Nielsen (Optician)

Ritz Pizza (Well, guess :tongue: )

Kring Chokolade (A cute little store, only sells chokolate)

Tops (A shoe store)

Eline (Female underwear store)

Fætter BR (similar to Toys'R'Us)

At your left;

Diva (Female clothes store)

Sports Master (Sporting goods store)

Jyske Bank (a nation wide bank)

Voss Briller (Optician)

Otto Spring (Glazier)

Alm. Brand (I'm actually not sure, but some kind of ensurance company / bank)

That's the end of the street.

(The rather large white building is Middelfart Sparekasse. A local bank. Pity Google haven't updated now the building is done)

Btw.

I like your payphone, even though they are rare nowadays.

The post office are (in smaller city like Middelfart) located within a large supermarket.

Your gas station is perfect :thumbup:

Hi LT,

BrickSindito gave you a quite typical street in a small town in Denmark. If you want to go for the Danish feeling, you can't ignore the 45 degrees roofs :wink:

If you want an even smaller town, try to go to Hovedgaden Høng Denmark (Hovedgade literally means Main Street) or 135 Boeslunde Byvej. There you even have got the Dagli'Brugsen (Coop) and OK service station (they are very often situated next to each other - sometimes not a full scale service station, just some pumps).

Though you didn't get it in the first shot, I'm pretty sure, you can catch the Danish feeling. Thumbs up for your try :thumbup:

Edit: Btw, the phone booth, you have built is called "the question mark".

Edited by laka

Thank you both 'Iaka' and 'BrickSindito' for your comments and most of all information.....I have already started remodeling and the fuel station is first being redone - only the stickers to be finished on it. :wink:

Keep watching stacks more to come ! :classic:

You're welcome, LT.

Another typical Danish feature is the bicycle. Many people bike, nut just for fun, but also to and from work.

- If you want some public transport, a yellow bus can do, though there are different colours, depending on the region.

Great looking buidlings LT, whether they be true to life or not, I've been admiring your town builds for a while now. Keep up the good work.

Just a question for the Danish on here. If Lego creations are based on the country, you guys must have a really high crime rate. There seem to be an awful lot of criminals and police officers in the sets. :classic:

Must be a lot of fires too.

Not complaining, just an observation.

I'm sorry, I can't be the only one who had a guilty little chuckle at that. :blush:

You too, eh ? :grin: Actually didn't realise it's spelling until I read it closer. :blush:

Currently I'm burning up the free internet at Macca's searching the roads of Denmark....oh, I can use the parts from the 8403 house - namely the roof tiles for the minimart/post office....trouble is yellow walls or beige or even white.....suggestions anyone ? :wink:

Don't forget to check this if you haven't already....OK unmanned petrol station.

I'm sorry, I can't be the only one who had a guilty little chuckle at that. :blush:

Hahaha... It took me a little while to realize why you would chuckle. But it's the name of the town :wink: Some elevators/lifts while in service shows "I fart"... :laugh:

LT, traditionally, houses were build in red bricks, but also yellow is used. But often nowadays a lays is put on the wall, and then painted. So white, light grey or even beige can be used.

Xyver, good point. But in general, we are spared for crime and fires. I wouldn't call Denmark a dangerous country to live in.

Thanks 'Iaka' for the information on house colours, you're right about red's and yellow's....I see where Lego get's their colours for Creator sets. :wink:

I'll be remodelling the minimart totally, but I'm not sure if I'll use that double height window entrance or go more old school design. I have looked at around 20 Dagli Brusgen's - all are different and varying in size. Question to those living near one of these, what are their usual product range, of course apart from groceries (Google said Dagli means grocery)....do they act also as a hardware store or that dice on the store fronts I have noticed....gaming....lottery tickets ? :look: Yeah, need a little help here, please ? :sweet:

Looking around Denmark, I might add some houses...but I don't normally build houses, but I might give it a crack. :wink:

Quick edit - Silly me why didn't I go to Goggle images eh ? :hmpf:

Brugsen.gif

5_700_32410.jpg

04-Dagli-Brugsen.jpg

3949-2.jpg

2437_full.jpg

HELP ! Help me pick a style....this is harder than designing something Aussie. :blush:

Edited by lightningtiger

Well, LT, I don't know from where Google has got that translation... Never heard that dagli should mean groceries. If it does, it must an old word, not in use anymore, because I don't find it in the dictionaries. If you ask a Dane to translate the word, it would be daily (dagli' = daglig). So it must simply be Daily Coop.

I'm amazed, you have shown such an interest for a Danish supermarket chain :wink: On their homepage, Dagli'Brugsen tells they are the local (small) supermarkets with the selection for daily needs. Many of the stores also have a limited selection of pharmacy goods, national lottery (yup, the dice), bake-off and then the OK petrol station. - If they have got a hardware section, it's very limited, I would say.

My personal favourite of the supermarkets shown is the first one. That's a classic style village/small town supermarket. But of course, they also exist in the more modern versions.

Edit: By the way, LT, thanks for getting me active here on Eurobricks again

Edited by laka

I must have written it wrong 'Iaka', oh well my bad ! :blush:

Yeah, they remind me of IGA stores in Oz and if they have a poor hardware selection then I'll still build a shed style XL BYG....I love a challenge. :grin:

Keep those suggestions and ideas plus information coming ! :wink:

I must have written it wrong 'Iaka', oh well my bad ! :blush:

Nope, I tried it as well... And Google Translate really translate it into groceries... *huh* Really don't know from where it's coming.

If you have any questions, just ask. Then I'll try to answer the best I can.

Nope, I tried it as well... And Google Translate really translate it into groceries... *huh* Really don't know from where it's coming.

If you have any questions, just ask. Then I'll try to answer the best I can.

Yeah, dag means day correct ? I'm learning something new everyday. :wink:

I'm digging up images of merchandise, bottles of OK oil, containers of Lotus garden products, etc.,.

This is another long term project for the tiger. :wink:

Edit time - I have moved the post box, cross-walk sign-light post and built an actual Danish phone box and no, it's not the question mark one.....a red one.

They have been mounted on the OK petrol pumps base plate....plus I thinking of tiling the base plates too. :wink:

I'll say sorry now, but it will be a bump fresh post, but that will be the updater one for the next day or so. :blush:

Edited by lightningtiger

Now this is what will be either on the side or front of my Dagli'Brusgen store....though the cross-walk sign/light pole might be moved yet. :wink:

cool_ok_tankstation_with_post_box_and_pay_phone_99.jpg

Comments, ideas, suggestions and any useful information are very welcome. :classic:

Updating later (though no new photos until tomorrow).

Yup, you're beginning to grap the Danish style :classic: I'm really looking forward to the Dagli'Brugsen - and other buildings.

Other ideas for shops can be a bike store, bakery, hair cutter, book store... Well... a lot of possibilities actually. Any particular kinds of stores, you are interested in, LT?