Darth Nihilus

Monster Fighters 2012

Original themes > licensed

This. :thumbup:

Original themes feel so much more creative than licensed themes. And creativity is what LEGO's all about! This theme looks really neat, the cyborg parts are great.

This. :thumbup:

Original themes feel so much more creative than licensed themes. And creativity is what LEGO's all about! This theme looks really neat, the cyborg parts are great.

I like that you agree with me. You I don't hate.

Can't wait to get my hands on Dracula's Castle...and all the rest! Hoot-hoot!

I believe the arm is symmetrical, so it works just as well for either side. The leg would clearly need a complimentary one, though.

The leg likely will be like the peg-leg piece. (reversable)

I also, think that the cybernetic limbs are odd on Victorian-style Minifigs. Pirates pieces, (hook, peg-leg) would fit the theme better, in my opinion.

Perhaps TLG will use those pieces in a new space theme; they would look better there.

I must say, the monsters are a disappointment. I'm not a big fan of the Werewolf. It just looks like a guy in a furry costume to me, even more so than the Studios one, due to the big head, and the Wolverine claws don't really suit him. Dracula looks just like the CMF one, but with a different expression. Frank looks pretty good in lime green, but seriously, paper clips safety pins in his forehead? That's even worse than the band-aids! Why can't it just be regular scars with stitches? :sceptic:

But I love the hunters! :wub_drool: They look so steampunk-ish! The new cyborg leg is pretty neat and will go well with the cyborg arm. Like others, I just hope it's reversible.

Looking forward to more pics of the sets.

Frank looks pretty good in lime green, but seriously, paper clips in his forehead?

I agree. I don't like how they keep doing that with Frankenstein. I guess it's supposed to make him look funny or something, but it would look better with stitches. Also, I think those are safety pins, not paper clips.

The look of the hunters kind of takes me by surprise. They look more like the villains! Still, I am loving the steampunk vibe and I cannot understate the usefulness of the robot limbs. So much potential here.

This theme is looking quite promising. :thumbup:

Well, here's FBTB's take on them:

Monster Hunters

Quite an interesting theme … it was described as a battle between good guys and monsters, whereby the monster in the set is after a crystal and if they get them all, they can collect them together and unleash hell. Most of the monsters are new, although some do lend themselves to the Colletable Minifigs line. The sets are due out in August, but with a particular marketing push around Halloween, for obvious reasons.

I quite liked the 9466 Mad Professor and His Monster set, as it featured a light brick, which was used to show electricity being fired at the lifeless Frankenstein as it laid on a bed. Very effective I thought. The 9467 Ghost Train set also had a nice feature where the bat wings moved as you pull the train along.

There were some nice new moulds for some of the figures, including the vampire bat minifig and a new glow in the dark ghost, with a tuft of the sheet on the back of the head. The Good Guys and vehicles have quite a classic 1930s style design.

Edited by JackJonespaw

Nice views on that official minifigs! The hunters and that new werewolf are the cream of the crop, hands down!

But please, for the love of Mary Shelley's ghost, stop calling that monster "Frankenstein"! If anything at all, its proper nomenclature would be "Dr. Frankenstein's creature" or if you prefer "monster" but not "Frankenstein"! That was its creator's name and didn't ever pass onto the creature, EVER! And do not try do defend your misnomers with "pop-culture", as it will always remain plain wrong. Do that fantastic work of gothic-literature a solid and employ the proper names, please! You have it in your hands to shape your own perception of things; do not find excuses in the past errors of others, or simply put: Just because the names are terrible messed up in the general populace's mind, noone stops you to remedy the damage done!

Be well!

Cutty

p.s.: do not try to start an argument with me here, I KNOW I'm right in what I say and pop-culture is wrong. Any contadictory statements are thus by default trollage of the highest order!

And please try to understand this is not me patronising or lecturing anyone, but just a neutral corrective statement where it's direly due! If you still do not trust my words, google up yourself the original text. It should be available somewhere as it's become public domain by now.

This made me giggle. I have to agree with you though.

I sorta hate the robot limbs... I think? Actually, no, I don't. I sorta hate them in this theme specifically.

But then I always found Steampunk to be a very goofy quasi-genre anyways, and I prefer to not think of these guys as Steampunk. And with a few swaps here and there, they won't be.

I agree with you here. The parts themselves don't bother me, but the parts in THIS genre do.

I can maybe see the arm on the lumberjack working, kind of Ash Williams Chainsaw arm style?

Though it doesn't really fit with the rest figures.

I love the look of the hunters! Their torsos and facial expressions are spot on- I also like the plain bowler hat and the mechanical leg.

The monsters on the other hand look lackluster- I guess they were trying hard not to make them like their CMF counterparts (the werewolf claws look bad on him).

I hope they had official names of the sets..just by reading it, I love the light brick feature and bat wing movement!

-Sci

I agree. I don't like how they keep doing that with Frankenstein. I guess it's supposed to make him look funny or something, but it would look better with stitches. Also, I think those are safety pins, not paper clips.

Maybe Frankenstein is too gruesome for kids? It is person made out of dead people, so they might have toned him down a bit.

The look of the hunters kind of takes me by surprise. They look more like the villains! Still, I am loving the steampunk vibe and I cannot understate the usefulness of the robot limbs. So much potential here.

Yeah, they do look like the bad guys because of the diversity and mechanical limbs. The only problem is that they look like they're from different time periods.

Well, interesting so far. The vampire is great if you missed the Collectible Minifigure version. :classic:

Well, here's FBTB's take on them:

Nothing we didn't know already, besides the storyline bits. I hope some more finalized, clearer pictures surface soon.

Ooooh, Frankenstein again! I missed out on getting a Frankenstein minifigure when the Studios sets came out, then again when they had a Frankenstein in the Collectable Minifigures line. The Light brick part of the Frankenstein set sounds fantastic too. My friend also really wanted a Frankenstein minifigure, so maybe I'll grab an extra one for her too. :)

I think LEGO may be leaning a little too heavily on the steampunk prosthetics, but we'll see...

TC

LEGO Monsters!

:D

That Swamp monster looks scary. Look at those teeth! Cool looking set and vehicle.

OMG the Werewolf set. I don't know about the Werewolf but there's a retro style car, a cool older style tree and a function that makes the Werewolf Man leap out from behind the tree. How cool is that?

A cool Mummy chariot and helicopter.

I just realized that's a Vampire car. :D Is that a Zombie driver? Also that Vampire is different and maybe more scary/badass.

Cool, a retro-ish Mad Scientist Lab with a car, a possible mad scientist and a more badass Frankenstein.

An old style black ghost train with new LEGO ghosts and a plane!

A vampire castle with wife, car and... Werewold bat things?

And there's a Zombie set!

I'm excited for this line. They're cool sets with LEGO monsters coming together! :D

This is the theme that I will want the most, not a by fan of license themes as I want value for money, these sets look awesome, :)

I am so excited about this theme. Every time I see the monsters I just think of when I was a little boy sitting around watching the 30's and 40's monster movies with my Dad, it makes me really happy.

Sure after LEGO insisted so much that guys with prosthetics and monsters are bad guys it is hard to tell which side is good with this one.

They are all bad and the monsters are the good guys. In the sets they are going to the homes where the monsters live to hunt them. :laugh:

The figures are very nice I really like the new vampire.

Edited by LEGOMAN132

I'm expecting this theme to be similar to Ghostbusters - a team of heroes battle/capture various monsters; things like werewolves or vampires...things of that nature.

Now that would be fun!

We already have pics. We know what these look like.

Likely spam.

Reported.

Not really.

Logwyn, try reading the thread a little more and checking the first post for pics. I know this many pages can be off-putting but at the same time it isn't too hard to find out where the thread has progressed to from the most recent posts. Why don't you intorduce yourself here too? :classic:

We already have pics. We know what these look like.

Likely spam.

Reported.

This is something I tried to point out to you last night whilst myself trying not to mini mod. The report button is there and use it if you feel it is warranted but just declaring new members spam is really off putting.

Back on topic, myself being a lover of all things John Lewis(UK shop) and having a friends brother work for there online team informs me that they are getting an exclusive of this line but alas they can't say which one yet. There boss is at the fair all week.

Edited by surrideo

This is something I tried to point out to you last night whilst myself trying not to mini mod. The report button is there and use it if you feel it is warranted but just declaring new members spam is really off putting.

Sorry :blush:

Post edited.

Yeah, they do look like the bad guys because of the diversity and mechanical limbs. The only problem is that they look like they're from different time periods.

They look like they're from VERY different time periods. So do the vehicles, judging by those ultra-blurry preliminaries. I wonder if that's actually part of the story. Since we have all the classic monsters working together, it could be pretty cool to have an opposing team made up of several generations' great monster hunters, with the still-unknown female hunter representing the modern monster hunters from the Eighties to today. Probably too esoteric for an official Lego theme, but I think it's still possible.