kyphur

Layout WIP: I've finally started a real layout!

Wow, that is a huge space.

I agree, Lorax!

I am planning on building a 6 ft x 6 ft table for my layout, and I tought THAT would be big!

Good luck on filling all that space!

Dakar

P.s.- that switching yard is impressive! iT won't require ALL those baseplates, will it?

Edited by Dakar A

We have basements here, they're called indoor pools. :laugh:

I am insanely jealous of your pkayspace, and it looks like you're off to a fine start in filling it. I don't have room for even a small layout. The only tine I get to see my trains run is at my lugs shows.

--Tony

In an interesting turn of events...

It looks like I just might have a bit of a Sponsor for my layout. A bricklink seller who has been very helpful and is offering to provide some inventory in return for placement of a structure (small shop) with a sign on the layout.

I do plan to configure the baseplates of this layout so that it disassembles into 30 by 30 inch (3 by 3 baseplates) sections for transport with hopes that I will be able to take it to some AFOL Cons starting in 2013. I've got a guy who could build me appropriate "travelling" tables to use.

I wonder if this is an idea that might get a little interest and help defer some of the expense?

All of the baseplates are laid out! Note that the black 2x2 round plates are just temporary until my ballasting, landscaping and structures tie the baseplates together better.

6773392701_26079de0fd_z.jpg

I've ordered 15 of the 16x32 baseplates (I'll still need about 5 more) to fill the gap down the center that will exist in the areas that won't have the double length (like the Switching Yard, Freight Yard and City will).

I won't be updating the layout for a couple of weeks as I begin the mammoth task of sorting my parts inventory (in preparation for a building spree) and finishing up a couple of other things like instructions for my New gray EMD-F7 Locomotive & Booster Units.

When I need to putter on the layout I'll work on swapping out the parts under the inclines. I've improved the pillar design to include the slight slope and want to get the good bricks out in favor of some "seconds" I have.

All of the baseplates are laid out!

Why did you go for new baseplates instead of cheaper second hand ones? Won't they all be covered up with structures/scenery/buildings anyway?

Why did you go for new baseplates instead of cheaper second hand ones? Won't they all be covered up with structures/scenery/buildings anyway?

You'd think you could save money getting used baseplates but you'd be wrong!

Sure the odd seller on BrickLink has 1 or 2 for $2 - $3 but by the time you see a usable quantity for this project the price is up to $4.50 and up! If I'm going to pay that price then I may as well get then New in the Box.

I bought about 60 from Lego during Bricktober so I got double VIP points (equals 10% rebate) and free shipping.

Another 20-ish came from BrickLink orders, while ordering other things I'd see of the store has baseplates and would get them if the price was below $5.

About 10 - 15 came from existing stock I had and trades while I was liquidating my LEGO Star Wars collection.

The latest order of 120 came from a single BrickLink store where I paid $4.49 each for the baseplates NIB!

I've just come to accept that I'll pay about $4.50 plus shipping (or Tax if from TLG) for the baseplates and generally buy them a few here and there until I have all I need.

I'll be happy if I get the remaining 150 that I need by December. I've put out the word that anyone who wants to give ne a gift can just get me a few baseplates also, my oldest daughter's boyfriend is rumored to have grabbed a few to give me the next time he visits...

Edited by kyphur

Sure the odd seller on BrickLink has 1 or 2 for $2 - $3 but by the time you see a usable quantity for this project the price is up to $4.50 and up! If I'm going to pay that price then I may as well get then New in the Box.

Ah, I see (and I see more and more the devious ways of TLG). In the US you only pay $4,99 for a baseplate at S@H US site, while I would have to pay €8,99 at the S@H NL site. Doing the currency conversion that's double! Paying that kind of money it is considerably cheaper to get them second hand / new via bricklink with some shipping.

Not that I would have the space for such an enormous amount of baseplates anyway :-)

I'll follow your project with interest

first of all your layout starts to look awesome

but ..... 4.99 USD for a greenbaseplate ? damn thats €3.77 at the current rate.. no wonder you can buy that much xD you can buy double the baseplates with the same money xD hmm what would shipping cost from US to Europe ? maybe it would still be cheaper... well probably only in large quantities.

anyway good luck with your layout.

also, my oldest daughter's boyfriend is rumored to have grabbed a few to give me the next time he visits...

Sounds like a keeper :laugh:

Wow, those are a lot of baseplates.

I really like that you wil use baseplates for the entire layout. That is something I would do as well.

I am regularly picking up a baseplate to add to my collection, but I can only be jealous at your massive amount of not only baseplates but space as well.

So I've been playing around with getting a final track design for my layout and I think I'm pretty close.

6786718921_4e31bce1dc_z.jpg

Image is link so you can view it larger (for details)

Some Notes:

The Stations:

=============

The "Main Train Station" is where three lines converge, The Mail Line (Cross Country), The Regional Line (to the Rural Station) and the Elevated Line (Intercity Commuter). In Chicago terms these are Amtrak, Metra & CTA's "L". It will be two stories tall.

The "Rural Train Station" is a MOC of 7939. I used two of them and extended the elevated walkway to traverse 2 sets of track. There is shop, just two matching shelters with a ticket machine on each platform.

The "Local Train Stations" will be two different styles. The one closest to the Rural Station will be a MOC in the style of the Winter Village. The one closest to the Switching Yard will be a simple platform.

The Cities:

===========

The Main City will be the Major Metropolitan Area of my layout. All buildings will be either official Modular Buildings or MOCs based on the Modular Building Concept.

"Suburb One" will be an Urban Suburb. It will contain smaller structures than the Main City but retain the urban feel.

"Suburb Two" will be very rural, I think I'll even have a small farm. It will start with the Winter Village Sets (having the snow removed from the roofs).

And now for the current Parts List (just for the Baseplates & Track:

416 - Baseplate, 32x32, Green

020 - BasePlate, 16x32, green

004 - Baseplate, 16x24, Green

002 - BasePlate, 16x16, green

004 - Baseplate, 8x16, Green

012 - Switch Point, Right

008 - Switch Point, Left

326 - Track, Straight

122 - Track, Curve

747 - Track, Flex

014 - EOL Buffer

Note the track count doesn't include the track that will be used in the Freight Yard as I haven't designed that area yet.

Edited by kyphur

A train museum??? I can't wait to see that!

There are actually a few Train Museums in my area (Greater Chicagoland Area) and I haven't been to one yet.

I think I might move the official Engine Shed (10027-1) onto the Museum grounds. I want a main building, a workshop (the engine shed) one working loop and a few static display trains.

Of course I'll make sure to visit a couple of them before I actually make mine.

BTW, Suburb Two has a name: Anna, in honor of my wife. I told her people don't name Cities "Anna" but I was wrong!

Edited by kyphur

It seems to be very wide; how are you going to access/manipulate objects in the middle?

It seems to be very wide; how are you going to access/manipulate objects in the middle?

I stand just over 6 feet tall, I can reach everywhere on the layout (tested that before going to the expense of constructing the hardboard sub-surface).

And how are you going to keep it dust free? Or how do you plan to get the dust off? Dust is one of my main annoyances with displaying lego...

And how are you going to keep it dust free? Or how do you plan to get the dust off?

Prevention & maintenance...

First, I'll eventually cover it with a thin sheet of plastic when not in use.

Second, I'll impliment a regular cleaning schedule so that each section gets the once-over every so often.

First, I'll eventually cover it with a thin sheet of plastic when not in use.

Second, I'll impliment a regular cleaning schedule so that each section gets the once-over every so often.

Good planning ahead for dust... Miserable problem; I'd like to design a tarp with a line and pulley system for ease of covering my future layout.

I like the overall layout plan you designed. The museum sounds like a great original idea and there are a lot of other neat features. Will the highway from the city to the switching yard be raised? On designing the layout, I would have had the freight yard where the switching yard is, and have the direct route from the city to the freight depot. Either way this is still one awesome project default_classic.gif

Will the highway from the city to the switching yard be raised?

No, it will cross the tracks with level crossings.

On designing the layout, I would have had the freight yard where the switching yard is, and have the direct route from the city to the freight depot.

The road from the city to the switching yard will have a T intersection that passes under the train bridge and into the Freight Yard for direct Semi-Truck access. This actually puts the freight yard closer to the big city to reduce pollution!

You can swiftly clean the tracks with a Swiffer Train! :D

Of course, that does nothing for the rest of the layout.

No, it will cross the tracks with level crossings.

The road from the city to the switching yard will have a T intersection that passes under the train bridge and into the Freight Yard for direct Semi-Truck access. This actually puts the freight yard closer to the big city to reduce pollution!

Ah, better sense. I jumped the gun on the suggestion, assuming the highway was raised and a straight shot. I've always tried to imagine how to raise baseplate using only Lego. Seems tricky, anyway glad you are adding level crossings. That is a pet peeve of mine when it comes to layouts. Especially at shows, though I've only seen those online.

I also noticed no harbor. Road and rail taking care of all the cargo and transportation needs? default_classic.gif

I also noticed no harbor. Road and rail taking care of all the cargo and transportation needs? default_classic.gif

The Freight Yard will be where all three converge, The water will actually be the negative space around the tables so a couple of ships can dock on two different sides and be off-loaded to truck or rail cars.

My cargo ships will be on small movable platforms that I can set up against the docks.

I have updated the map in the earlier post and on Flicker to represent where I hope to place the docks and also access roads into the freight yard and both suburbs as well as the gap between the suburbs.

Edited by kyphur