Sign in to follow this  
skyliner

EBAY SCAM: UCS Millennium Falcon10179 - £186.99 NEW

That'll be me.

My original post can be found here.

Still waiting.

I tried opening up a dispute case with eBay but was notified that I can't start one until September 11th (why that particular date I don't know), so I'm just hanging on until then.

I'm actually hoping nothing turns up as it'll be easier to try and get my money back, rather than having to return whatever the Chinese seller has sent me and starting a 'item not as described' case with eBay.

You fell for it? Oh dear.

And another one for the UK :sad: : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEGO-Star-Wars-10179-UCS-Millennium-Falcon-Brand-New-/250885466507?pt=UK_Construction_Toys_Kits&hash=item3a69f0698b

Actually, I think that this might be another hacked account (which happened a couple of weeks ago) as it's been dormant since 2008. I've just reported it to Ebay, hopefully they'll remove it quickly.

Well, I'm very pleased to say that Ebay have just removed this one! :classic::thumbup:

It seems weird that their being really slow to close some of the scams, but not others. Ah well, all we can do is keep reporting them (actually I'm making it a bit of a personal crusade!)

It could take a few months but chances are good that paypal will refund your money.

*edit: now with additional Y

Edited by Sokratesz

Good morning from Spain. Another one...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lego-Star-Wars-Millenium-Falcon-10179-NEW-/150657430532?pt=UK_Construction_Toys_Kits&hash=item2313e1f404

and, of course, one negative feedback (only one? I'm glad to hear people don't relay on them)

"FRAUD EBUYER DO NOT HAVE LEGO SET 10179 NOW PAYPAL DISPUTE OPEN"

I've seen this scam all around the web. I contacted one of them and asked him if I could pay once the set was received (COD says google translator) as I was not going to pay 350$ to someone only because he said he was going to send me the set 10179 (it's not safe; he can send you 10 kg of Duplo and you can't open the package until paid, but in any case I was sure he would say it wasn't possible...). He answered that all he could do was send it to me once I'd paid 200$ and then I would have to pay the 150$ left because he had been scammed in the past. Of course I didn't even answer him (in fact I don't know why I wrote him in the first place...)

As they said in Hill Street Blues, "Let's be careful out there"

Regards

Edited by Rick Deckard

Imagine my excitement when the postman delivered a package today!

I hurriedly rushed into the kitchen to open my parcel.

Hmm, it's not as big as I thought it would be...

2.jpg

Can anyone read Chinese?...

3.jpg

Ok, let's review this sucker!

1.jpg

The Rating System

Figures: 0/10 - There seems to be a distinct lack of minifigs. I was expecting around twenty but there don't seem to be ANY.

Parts 0/10 - Just the one part. Blue. Flexible. Looks pretty much like a USB cable.

Swooshability 1/10 - Not much swooshability. Maybe I could use it as a whip and pretend to be Indiana Jones.

Design 0/10 - As a USB cable it's great. As a piece of Lego, not so much.

Price 0/10 - £130 for a cable is a little overpriced as far as I'm concerned.

Grand Total 1/50 - Not particularly happy with this set if I'm going to be perfectly honest..

So yes, it was a scam.

I'll be spending most of tomorrow morning contacting eBay to see what can be done.

I would do it tonight but it's been a tough day at work and I'd rather have a few beers than type out a long email.

I suspect I'll have to post the cable back and wait for a few weeks until things get resolved.

IF things get resolved.

I'll keep y'all up to date, whatever happens.

Wow, they actually ship you something? That's 100% better than I expected!

Yeah, lucky me, eh?

And yes, I know the 'A' key on my laptop has worn away.

Yeah, lucky me, eh?

And yes, I know the 'A' key on my laptop has worn away.

Probably they send to have a receipt of sending something...

Now you must claim a not as described on Paypal...

I had a problem some years ago with a fake magic the gathering card and Paypal covered it, so I think you'll have no problem here...

The process takes some time, because it's like a dialog in wich each sentence has a timeout of 2 weeks, or something

So yes, it was a scam.

I'll be spending most of tomorrow morning contacting eBay to see what can be done.

I would do it tonight but it's been a tough day at work and I'd rather have a few beers than type out a long email.

I suspect I'll have to post the cable back and wait for a few weeks until things get resolved.

IF things get resolved.

I'll keep y'all up to date, whatever happens.

Did you have to sign for the parcel? As they are obviously scamming you if you did not need to sign for the parcel the easiest way to get you money is to start an item not received dispute in Paypal (not ebay). If the seller cannot supply online confirmation of delivery then Paypal will automatically refund you. Sellers sometimes supply a fictious tracking number but a phone call to Paypal will sort that out

If you did have to sign for it then to get a refund you need to open a SNAD (not as described) dispute in Paypal and you'll be asked to return it by traceable means. This means the hassle and cost of returning it, hence the above suggestion to start an item not received dispute if possible

Did you have to sign for the parcel? As they are obviously scamming you if you did not need to sign for the parcel the easiest way to get you money is to start an item not received dispute in Paypal (not ebay). If the seller cannot supply online confirmation of delivery then Paypal will automatically refund you. Sellers sometimes supply a fictious tracking number but a phone call to Paypal will sort that out

If you did have to sign for it then to get a refund you need to open a SNAD (not as described) dispute in Paypal and you'll be asked to return it by traceable means. This means the hassle and cost of returning it, hence the above suggestion to start an item not received dispute if possible

I suspected I might have been able to tell the postman "No thanks!" when he knocked on the door.

Unfortunately I wasn't in when he called and another member of the household signed for it.

Sending it back isn't really a big deal, it doesn't weigh much.

It's just going to take a lot longer to sort things out.

I am tempted to place a fish head in the envelope though, just as a thank you.

But I reckon eBay wouldn't see the funny side.

Edited by into the blue

I suspected I might have been able to tell the postman "No thanks!" when he knocked on the door.

Unfortunately I wasn't in when he called and another member of the household signed for it.

I'd be telling ebay you won't be sending anything back when its been an obvious scam to the tune of £12k+

Why should you be out of pocket even more returning something to what is probably a phoney address. Ebay will be getting disputes from all the buyers so it will be obvious to them as well. Should be refunded and quickly. Threaten them with media exposure, that'll speed it up

I bought a stolen iPhone 2 year back and paypal gave me my money back on a not as discribed dispute. You shouldnt have any problems gettign the money back, it will just take time.

Dont worry into the blue I nearly fell for a scam the other month which was discussed a few pages back that wansent thorugh ebay or paypal so I would not have got my $$$ back.

Just have to be carfull and always remember 'if it looks too good to be true it probably is!' :wink:

Update on the DDS.

I opened a Paypal dispute case yesterday and this morning had a response from the seller.

He offered me a partial refund of £30.

I told him to stick it where the sun don't shine, I want all of my money back, thank you very much.

Paypal are continuing to investigate the case.

More news as it happens.

Update on the DDS.

I opened a Paypal dispute case yesterday and this morning had a response from the seller.

He offered me a partial refund of £30.

I told him to stick it where the sun don't shine, I want all of my money back, thank you very much.

Paypal are continuing to investigate the case.

More news as it happens.

Couldn't you have gotten around the sending the item back part by saying he sent you an empty envelope.....would've scored yourself a USB able in the process....whats the seller gonna say...no I didn't send them an empty envelope I sent a USB cable....umm case closed

Couldn't you have gotten around the sending the item back part by saying he sent you an empty envelope.....would've scored yourself a USB able in the process....whats the seller gonna say...no I didn't send them an empty envelope I sent a USB cable....umm case closed

I haven't had to send anything back at the moment as A) Paypal haven't asked me to and B) I don't have the seller's contact address, even though I asked eBay for it.

And you're right, it's going to be a pretty dumb crook who admits his guilt like that.

But quite frankly, I don't think he's too worried about the Paypal claim.

He's got his money and he's laughing, he's not going to bother answering Paypal's questions.

I'm guessing Paypal's insurance is going to cover the cost of reimbursement (hopefully).

I haven't had to send anything back at the moment as A) Paypal haven't asked me to and B) I don't have the seller's contact address, even though I asked eBay for it.

And you're right, it's going to be a pretty dumb crook who admits his guilt like that.

But quite frankly, I don't think he's too worried about the Paypal claim.

He's got his money and he's laughing, he's not going to bother answering Paypal's questions.

I'm guessing Paypal's insurance is going to cover the cost of reimbursement (hopefully).

Whats the latest? Have you had full refund from paypal?

It looks like they're back again on Ebay (Death Star for £136.60), be warned! :angry::look:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEGO-Star-Wars-Death-Star-10188-w-24-Minifigures-New-/190579310358?pt=UK_Construction_Toys_Kits&hash=item2c5f697f16

I've just reported this to Ebay and asked them to investigate. I could be wrong, but it looks similar to recent scams; old & established account that has been dormant for several years - I guess that it's been hacked?

I had two friends fall for the UCS Falcon rip-off that was around the same time as my DDS deal.

They got in touch with me a few days ago to let me know that their Paypal disputes had been refunded.

Still waiting to hear from Paypal regarding my case.

It looks like they're back again on Ebay (Death Star for £136.60), be warned! :angry::look:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEGO-Star-Wars-Death-Star-10188-w-24-Minifigures-New-/190579310358?pt=UK_Construction_Toys_Kits&hash=item2c5f697f16

I've just reported this to Ebay and asked them to investigate. I could be wrong, but it looks similar to recent scams; old & established account that has been dormant for several years - I guess that it's been hacked?

Its since been removed. Ebay starting to get its act together?

Sign in to follow this