Sandy

Heroica RPG - Quest Masters' Lounge

Gold can be regulated through market/vendor prices and XP is just the nature of the game, though the possibility of over a dozen battles in one quest means some serious leveling up for players.

On an off related note, Brickdoctor, are you using decals or software for all your signage and symbols in quest 4?

On an off related note, Brickdoctor, are you using decals or software for all your signage and symbols in quest 4?

Photoshop. :blush:

That's what I was thinking, don't feel guilty. I'm just a poor college student who can't afford such frivolities, so it's MS paint and Picasa for me, sorry those who've signed up for quest 11, no top-notch cinematic scenes for you. Maybe one day...

Another thought, since Quest 4's path has once again intersected at Eubric, would it be feasible to have two parties' paths cross mid-quest? I believe the next 3 quests are all set in Eubric and mine will have questers traveling all across the city. It could make for some interesting interactions, if for example, one party being chased by bandits meets up with another party and they both fight along side one another to ward off the thugs. Maybe it's more confusing than it's worth :wacko:

That's what I was thinking, don't feel guilty. I'm just a poor college student who can't afford such frivolities, so it's MS paint and Picasa for me, sorry those who've signed up for quest 11, no top-notch cinematic scenes for you. Maybe one day...

I can edit them for you, if you don't mind having the Quest not entirely done by you.

Thanks, I've pretty much got the photo's down, they're not that bad if I do say so myself, they're just not magazine or frontpage quality :grin: I am envious though, of the Heroica banners you and Sandy have for your quests. When the next round starts up with its specific color (i.e. the first were blue, the current ones are red, etc.), would you mind making one up for mine.

Thanks, I've pretty much got the photo's down, they're not that bad if I do say so myself, they're just not magazine or frontpage quality :grin: I am envious though, of the Heroica banners you and Sandy have for your quests. When the next round starts up with its specific color (i.e. the first were blue, the current ones are red, etc.), would you mind making one up for mine.

Not at all.

Actually, I had no idea both banners would be red. Mine was originally a deep blue, changed to dark red when I finalized the Shadeaux in the role of the employer.

The quest banners don't need to be similar by any means. But if you want that type of a banner, I can make one for you. I already made one for Masked Builder. :wink:

But if you want that type of a banner, I can make one for you. I already made one for Masked Builder. :wink:

default_facepalm.gif

I really should have thought to ask you for one before my quest... :tongue:

Oh well, I'll be sure to ask before my next one.

Working on a quest right now. I've got it all mapped out, just need to fine tune the details and build scenes (and take pics). Should be good for levels 1-5.

I've got a taste for hosting now. I have learned a lot from my first round, and I can promise you all that you'll have a chance to play a Zepher quest, if you dare. :devil: That being said, it will be improved from this quest. I have learned a few things that I do like, and a few I don't. In fact, I'm going to share them with future Quest Masters.

-There is a reason to NOT have an 8 person party. It is a lot to keep track of.

-Don't take players out of the quest. Even if you think it will make cool dynamics, you start to feel guilty as more time passes.

-I personally really like giving options outside of the battles. Battles can become a little boring, but who the players should trust, little riddles, etc, those are all fun.

I swear there were more. I pinky promise my next quest will be even more scary.

ALSO (alright, here I am admitting that I always planned on having other quests) - An idea (that I'm using) SOME ACTIONS OF THIS QUEST EFFECT MY FUTURE QUESTS. That's right! The heroes will make choices this quest that will effect later quests in the same story arc. I'm thinking of maybe three more quests following this story, with one main protagonist (see if you can guess who :wink: ).

-Don't take players out of the quest. Even if you think it will make cool dynamics, you start to feel guilty as more time passes.

You should've told me this before posades was left behind. :sad:

Ah, well, he got a nice important temporary elf to play. :sweet:

-There is a reason to NOT have an 8 person party. It is a lot to keep track of.

-I personally really like giving options outside of the battles. Battles can become a little boring, but who the players should trust, little riddles, etc, those are all fun.

Good pointers, each one. Thanks, Zephy!

The guide on the first post already advices against having parties larger than 6, so I'm glad I was right about that. :tongue:

I think that if players are taken out of the quest, it should be permanent (ie. kicking them out). Leaving them hanging is not fair, like you said.

And sure, I encourage all future QMs to have as many out-of-battle activities as they can come up with. They bring diversity to the quests.

So, having bought about six more dice yesterday and spent the train journey into the city on Thursday writing, not to mention building creatures the other day... I have a more solid quest planed. However there are going to be some interesting extras. I hope I can build the rest of it soon and photoshop some stuff to shinyness.

I kind of like the party of eight. It takes some adjusting to find enemies that pose a challenge, but the current mix I have is pretty well-balanced.

I'm thinking of maybe three more quests following this story, with one main protagonist (see if you can guess who :wink: ).

The Fabulous Adventures of Cronk! :grin:

Sandy's quest 10 is taking an interesting twist. I mean, I don't know where to begin, sandy's other quests were pretty straight forward, help save a farm and find some monster (pretty much told you where they were), sneak into a guarded vault (just fight through), battle some mages, and find a thief, which is probably the closest quest to the new one, and we also only have 1 chance...

The Fabulous Adventures of Cronk! :grin:

Whhoooooppppssss.... meant antagonist. But I do hope Cronk will be back for more as well!

I'm guessing you two are talking about something like a revisitable dungeon? It sounds great, but I currently don't have the resources to design something like that. But later, with help, maybe.

Was just reading through this (this is sort of early on), but I, and others could build models of areas in LDD, Lego Digital Designer.

Would it be possible to make a Quest to find a certain beast and/or monster? I know that Quest #1 was much like that but I mean a quest like a dragon slaying. I had a quest planned, but it will only work if this is possible. I'm going to wait until I complete a Quest before I start making it, though. :classic:

Edited by darthnihilius

Would it be possible to make a Quest to find a certain beast and/or monster? I know that Quest #1 was much like that but I mean a quest like a dragon slaying. I had a quest planned, but it will only work if this is possible. I'm going to wait until I complete a Quest before I start making it, though. :classic:

This quest is doable (take cralegoboy's quest as an example of having a big boss battle), as a matter of fact, pretty much any quest is feasible with the basic rule structure Heroica RPG has going for it. I would just encourage you to not put too much effort into planning it all out until you're actually in a quest though. It's easy to think you can plan it all out from just observing other quests, but actual experience gives you a deeper appreciation for how your future players feel in certain situations, as well as helping to generate a better intuition for monster stats, dungeon layouts, item/drops balance, etc. Keep up the enthusiasm, the more QM's we have, the more options there are for the players to participate in. :thumbup:

Edited by Waterbrick Down

This quest is doable (take cralegoboy's quest as an example of having a big boss battle), as a matter of fact, pretty much any quest is feasible with the basic rule structure Heroica RPG has going for it. I would just encourage you to not put too much effort into planning it all out until you're actually in a quest though. It's easy to think you can plan it all out from just observing other quests, but actual experience gives you a deeper appreciation for how your future players feel in certain situations, as well as helping to generate a better intuition for monster stats, dungeon layouts, item/drops balance, etc. Keep up the enthusiasm, the more QM's we have, the more options there are for the players to participate in. :thumbup:

Thank you for your answer, I was going to start working on this as soon as I got into a Quest. I am going to start making the MOCs today though, as I will need a lot of them if I am to make this. Since I wasn't picked for any of the new Quests, I will just have to wait until the next batch comes up to try and get in one. The quest probably won't be up until around New Years, unless the next batch of Quests comes incredibly fast. :classic:

People who have already been on a quest (or are currently on one), keep those quest pitches coming! I myself have ten quests under plans at the moment, but there's only a few potential quest pitches from other people at the moment.

Once the quests #4 through #12 are done, there's going to be a lot of quest-hungry heroes out there, and I can't satisfy their hunger alone. So yeah, send me those ideas. :grin:

Taming the Lions II is in the works. :classic: (though the storyline hasn't been finalized, as some parts depend on what the players do in Quest 4)