eiker86

3677 Red Freight Train

I'll be at Legoland Billund next week, I hope I can get one to take home.. do you know if there is any way to check whats available at the store? or to contact the store in any way?

cheers!

When I was there recently, I was slightly disappointed by the number of sets they have. As it is a Legoland Store, they have a different selection of sets available than in the normal Lego Stores. Maybe you can call the park (http://www.legoland....AND/Contact-us/)?

I went to my local TRU yesterday just to see if they even had a space on the shelf for the set. :hmpf_bad: There was a LEGO employee there, sprucing up the shelves. I asked her if she knew when the set would be back in stock-- she hadn't even heard of it. She also said TRU typically gets most sets one month before the LEGO stores and other outlets-- she showed me her spiral bound catalog which had several products listed with release dates of August 2011, yet they were already there on the TRU shelves.

Hmmm. If this is true. Then maybe the Freight train will become more available by August. That's only couple weeks away. I cannot wait. I really like this train.

It is possible, without any modification, to use a Rechargeable Battery with the red cover:

2011-07-17%25252013.35.34.jpg

Just replace one 1x4 modified plate with 2 1x1 plate to attach the black disc.

To open the Rechargeable Battery Box, forcibly remove the four screw covers on the bottom with a small flat screwdriver and remove the four Philips screws. Also remove both screws of the red battery cover. Replace the covers, put no screws back and insert into the engine.

Drive well.

This weekend I was in Billund with my father :classic: (we had a really great time) The only thing was that they didn't have the new and the older nor the Maersk cargo trains. We're going next week to the shop in Oberhausen and I hope we've more succes :laugh:

The train is now available in europe.

I have just ordered 2 of this train. :classic:

Edited by Pazoozoo

Now available on the Australian LEGO shop, but it's $289?!?!?! What the hell??? Only $10 less than the last Cargo Train? I just don't see it.

Sure, it's got a comparable piece count (839 vs 831) but 7939 just seems better value thanks to the large crane, truck and switching tracks.

Looks like I'll be waiting for this to become available through American sellers on Ebay... :sad:

Now available on the Australian LEGO shop, but it's $289?!?!?! What the hell??? Only $10 less than the last Cargo Train? I just don't see it.

Sure, it's got a comparable piece count (839 vs 831) but 7939 just seems better value thanks to the large crane, truck and switching tracks.

Looks like I'll be waiting for this to become available through American sellers on Ebay... :sad:

It's not much better here, in the Netherlands it cost the same as the last cargo train :sad:!

Talk to my local Lego Store manager. He told me they got a memo saying to start telling customers that the Freight Train will be available in USA Lego stores August 1st. This makes me happy. I can my use my VIP points. :)

It's only 20 dollars cheaper here - 160 vs 180.

It's only 20 dollars cheaper here - 160 vs 180.

You're missing the point here. As always, US prices are subsidized by TLG - so the reason AFOLs from anywhere else than the States want to wait for American sellers to offer the new train isn't that it's much cheaper than the old cargo train, but that it's an unbelievable bargain compared to what it costs anywhere else in the world.

289 Australian dollars = 306 US dollars with today's exchange rate. A bit more expensive than 160 US dollars, don't you agree? :)

Compared to that, it's cheap even in the Norwegian S@H website at 1599 NOK (285 US$)...

289 Australian dollars = 306 US dollars with today's exchange rate. A bit more expensive than 160 US dollars, don't you agree? :)

Yikes. I see what the value is in having an American friend willing to ship stuff to you.

You're missing the point here.

Not really. Consider the original point -

...it's $289?!?!?! What the hell??? Only $10 less than the last Cargo Train? Sure, it's got a comparable piece count (839 vs 831) but 7939 just seems better value thanks to the large crane, truck and switching tracks.

Looks like I'll be waiting for this to become available through American sellers on Ebay.

That quote conveys that it's somehow massively cheaper (by comparison) than the cargo train here in the US, which it really isn't. I will admit though, that if the AUD and the USD are indeed a 1:1, 20 dollars less is cheaper than 10 dollars less...but not a whole lot.

I do, however, understand your point that prices are much much higher in Australia for Lego product in general, and I don't understand why that is. The population isn't that small...and shipping costs are high but only to a point. I did spend the last two years living in Hawaii, and paying more for everything because of shipping costs, that wasn't fun at all because at a point you start to recognize the difference between a price that's getting some money back from that spent on shipping, to a price that is artificially high because the retailer realizes it's one of the only options you have and what else are you going to do about it? I know how old that gets, and unlike my choice to move to another state in the US you can't control where you're born.

Is it an import taxation/tariff issue?

Hi Bellicose,

hmm. To be quite honest: I think that with an organized Danish Company as TLC is, along with the fact that these folks are global players (toys-wise) that they simply watch out for profit maximization. They have to do that, it is a rough environment out there. We (as AFOLs that is) wish for this and that, and they (as power players) have to take care of business (OK, with some sort of care for customers ...).

So I guess, the whole issue of who is paying what in which country is - well - a school of business decision. I am spending some time per year in the US and I can assure you that with every visit I am smuggling ... no I don't want to go into details. I am living in Germany and looking at prices in the US ...

Sorry, I guess this is how it is. Taxation is one thing, business decisions are another.

Regards,

Thorsten

You're missing the point here. As always, US prices are subsidized by TLG

I too think the pricing strategy is unreasonable. But I don't think that US prices are being subsidized; I'm pretty sure that there is still a significant profit margin in this US $159.

More likely, the pricing is based on what lego executives think that the market is willing to pay.

With the PF trains, the white-red passenger train was selling for $89 plus tax. After they sold out, for about half a year there was no lego train offered in the US. During this time, the white-red passenger train was typically selling for $150 on eBay (even used ones fetched prices close to that). I think that lego got the message quite clear: lego trains can be sold for much more than $89. And indeed, the next passenger train (the current one) is selling in the US for $129 even though it is quite comparable to the previous one. $40 more. So apparantly lego started to think that they can get more, for basically the same product.

For some reason, I don't know why, they think that they can get still more (much more) in other countries. The Australia price looks really outrageous. I'm surprised that they think they can sell a useful number of trains at such high prices. Are other toys also very expensive compared to the US?

I thought the price went up for the PF trains because the PF components added to the price of the set. Take $90-$100 for RC/9v, then add the cost of adding PF equipment based on the current ones TLG has for sale. about $30-40 more

Not really. Consider the original point - That quote conveys that it's somehow massively cheaper (by comparison) than the cargo train here in the US, which it really isn't. I will admit though, that if the AUD and the USD are indeed a 1:1, 20 dollars less is cheaper than 10 dollars less...but not a whole lot.

I do, however, understand your point that prices are much much higher in Australia for Lego product in general, and I don't understand why that is. The population isn't that small...and shipping costs are high but only to a point. I did spend the last two years living in Hawaii, and paying more for everything because of shipping costs, that wasn't fun at all because at a point you start to recognize the difference between a price that's getting some money back from that spent on shipping, to a price that is artificially high because the retailer realizes it's one of the only options you have and what else are you going to do about it? I know how old that gets, and unlike my choice to move to another state in the US you can't control where you're born.

My post has nothing to do with the American prices of the two trains compared with each other, simply that it's more or less the same price as the last train but offers far less. An element of inflation is expected over time, but the last train only just came out last year! In that time, the Australian dollar has become much stronger and has been worth more than the USD for most of the last year - currently 1.06. Why would I pay $290 when I can pay sub $200...? TLG must think we're idiots.

There is a slight taxation issue in Aus (10% gst) but that doesn't account for the increase either. It is as Toastie said purely a business decision - LEGO themselves have said so before. It's all about finding the highest price you can get away with. The previous RC Green Cargo train was around $240 IIRC...expensive still, but it flew off the shelves, whenever a new shipment came in it would disappear quite quickly. The latest PF trains however have clung to the shelves a little more tightly - they still sell, but usually only when on special. The same sets have been sitting in my local Toyworld for over a year now. I think LEGO may have gone slightly beyond that illusive 'highest reasonable asking price' with the PF trains. And there seems to be a further increase attached to this set too so I'll be surprised if this set turns out to be a best seller, especially with a far superior Cargo train still on the shelves. A similar situation exists with the current harbour set, also retailing for the same-ish price as the last set despite being much smaller.

I also collect Transformers and it's worth noting that a similar ratio of price gouging exists there as well. A 'Leader' figure here retails at around $90AUD versus $50USD, 'Voyager' size is $50AUD versus $25-$29USD.

10 - 15 years ago this disparity would have been understandable, online shopping was far less widespread, and had a nasty stigma about it due to numerous fraud cases and dodgy sellers. These days though it's quite common, everyone knows what Ebay is and how to use it and we're all a lot more tuned into international economies after the American collapse.

I thought the price went up for the PF trains because the PF components added to the price of the set. Take $90-$100 for RC/9v, then add the cost of adding PF equipment based on the current ones TLG has for sale. about $30-40 more

It would be very stupid for TLG to blame the pricing increase on including PF instead of RC. The average consumer doesn't give a crap and wouldn't notice the difference anyway, they just want to be able to push the buttons and watch the train go around the track. I can't see how the PF system costs more to produce than the RC system...? They surely save a bunch of plastic on the tiny controller and battery box alone! :laugh:

Does anyone know why?

Does anyone know why?

I've had a number of talks with a number of TLG employees regarding Australian prices. Apparently the local sales offices set the RRP in conjunction with local retailers, based on what they think the market will bear. The wholesale price paid by retailers is pretty much the same around the world.

There are certain markets in which the wholesale price is kept artificially lower because TLG is trying to grow those markets. In a financial report at the start of the global financial crisis, TLG stated they were keeping prices lower in the US due to the GFC. It appears that US profit margins for retailers must be much lower, and possibly also for TLG.

There is a very persistent rumor in Australian AFOL circles that our prices are partly higher due to some bad hedge fund decisions made at Lego Australia at the start of the GFC, which effectively creates a bigger loss the higher the Aussie dollar rises. I'm not sure this would still be having an influence directly, but retailers might be taking advantage of consumers being used to paying more here in setting the RRP.

It doesn't really matter to me which if any of these factors make our prices so high, if I can get two trains from the US for nearly the same as one here, guess what I'm going to do?

For some reason, I don't know why, they think that they can get still more (much more) in other countries. The Australia price looks really outrageous. I'm surprised that they think they can sell a useful number of trains at such high prices. Are other toys also very expensive compared to the US?

It could be the retailers here are aware that Lego sells best when it is discounted, so the RRP is artificially higher. Also our standard of living has been pretty consistently higher than the US, so perhaps there is a broader spread of people here that can afford our higher prices. Certainly our economy has fared a lot better recently than yours. Most toys, clothing and home wares are more expensive here.

Edited by peterab

"There is a very persistent rumor in Australian AFOL circles that our prices are partly higher due to some bad hedge fund decisions made at Lego Australia at the start of the GFC, which effectively creates a bigger loss the higher the Aussie dollar rises."

So we get to pay more because TLG bet against Australia. Lovely.

:classic: :classic:

I've had a number of talks with a number of TLG employees regarding Australian prices. Apparently the local sales offices set the RRP in conjunction with local retailers, based on what they think the market will bear. The wholesale price paid by retailers is pretty much the same around the world.

There are certain markets in which the wholesale price is kept artificially lower because TLG is trying to grow those markets. In a financial report at the start of the global financial crisis, TLG stated they were keeping prices lower in the US due to the GFC. It appears that US profit margins for retailers must be much lower, and possibly also for TLG.

There is a very persistent rumor in Australian AFOL circles that our prices are partly higher due to some bad hedge fund decisions made at Lego Australia at the start of the GFC, which effectively creates a bigger loss the higher the Aussie dollar rises. I'm not sure this would still be having an influence directly, but retailers might be taking advantage of consumers being used to paying more here in setting the RRP.

It doesn't really matter to me which if any of these factors make our prices so high, if I can get two trains from the US for nearly the same as one here, guess what I'm going to do?

It could be the retailers here are aware that Lego sells best when it is discounted, so the RRP is artificially higher. Also our standard of living has been pretty consistently higher than the US, so perhaps there is a broader spread of people here that can afford our higher prices. Certainly our economy has fared a lot better recently than yours. Most toys, clothing and home wares are more expensive here.

Oh, I get all that, what I'm wondering is why is PF so much more expensive than RC? How are they justifying that???

Oh, I get all that, what I'm wondering is why is PF so much more expensive than RC? How are they justifying that???

Because people are still buying at the higher prices. In fact it appears the PF trains are more popular. It's not about the cost of the components.

Because people are still buying at the higher prices. In fact it appears the PF trains are more popular. It's not about the cost of the components.

What we need is some Megabloks trains to promote competition :laugh::sick:

Oh wait...

post-17759-131105540477.jpg

Edited by Darth Sutius

I seem to have sent the whole discussion off topic, and for that I apologize :classic:

This is a highly flammable topic, though, which tends to give quite heated discussions. When Lego finally opened the S@H site for Norwegian customers, I saw how unfair the pricing policy was. As I've said in another topic earlier, the Pet Shop is almost half price in the UK compared to Norway, and that's not very easy to understand - it's just a short flight over (and so I picked up a lot of Lego when I visited London last month).

But I've also realized how crazy the Australian prices are. I still think I'm entitled to complain :wink: but there's no doubt that Australians have even more reason to be unhappy.

That said, this discussion probably already exists in some other, more suitable topic.

I seem to have sent the whole discussion off topic, and for that I apologize :classic:

This is a highly flammable topic, though, which tends to give quite heated discussions. When Lego finally opened the S@H site for Norwegian customers, I saw how unfair the pricing policy was. As I've said in another topic earlier, the Pet Shop is almost half price in the UK compared to Norway, and that's not very easy to understand - it's just a short flight over (and so I picked up a lot of Lego when I visited London last month).

But I've also realized how crazy the Australian prices are. I still think I'm entitled to complain :wink: but there's no doubt that Australians have even more reason to be unhappy.

That said, this discussion probably already exists in some other, more suitable topic.

Yep.

And to get back on topic, I think we can all agree that this set is criminally overpriced in all respective markets.

Seriously, not even a truck? Or a forklift...?

Seriously, not even a truck? Or a forklift...?

What about the road'n'rail service truck on the flat bed ? :wink:

The pricing.....hmm, I wonder when they become available the A.C.C.C. might have something to say about it ? :wink:

(A.C.C.C. sets the rules for business in how to supply goods and services to people....in simple terms.....in Oz only though ! :wink: )

Brick On everyone ! :grin:

Well, still eagerly awaiting it on Lego.com here in the states.

Looking forward to getting that engine. And some more track. :) Used ALL of my track a week or so ago and realized I didn't even have enough to hit three rooms of my upstairs. :(