11 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this set?

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Awesome!

approvedgold_v2_62.png

Mostly, thrift stores are places for musty clothing and piles of junk. But sometimes, I score LEGO. Well, just recently I scored again! This time it was the Classic Space oldie:

5762787277_c87d094e84_z.jpg

Set Name: XT-5 and Droid

Set #: 6809

Pieces: 33 (of the interlocking variety)

Minifigures: 1 (according to Bricklink, the Droid counts as a figure, but I wouldn't count it)

Year of Release: 1988

Price at Release: ? - no data is available on the internet. I would imagine this probably sold for anywhere from $3 to $6 USD. A used one will run you under $10 likely without a box, while sealed it is going for $62 at the cheapest on BL upon this writing. (I scored mine complete and with box, but not sealed, for $3)

Buy it? Inventory? Bricklink Peeron

Just browse the pictures? Flickr set

INTRODUCTION

I lack that nostalgia factor for Classic Space that many LEGO fans have (due to my date of birth), but I still occasionally feel the pangs of longing for the good ol' days (that I never saw) when LEGO sets were all angular and play features consisted of flicking levers back and forth, swooshing in the nude, and sticking technic pins in holes. The cuteness of the classic minifigures is a fact that cannot be denied even by me, a fan of fleshies and minifigs with high levels of detail like the Ginnyfigure ( :wub: ). I appreciate a good and simple Black Knight, but even more so I appreciate the original quintet of jelly bean troops: the Classic Spacemen. Though I never had any sets, I BLed one Spaceman in each color a while ago, and love looking at them.

There was absolutely nothing in the world that would keep me from purchasing a Classic Space set in good condition, with its box, and for the very reasonable price tag of $3. And, it isn't just any Classic Space set, but the last one ever! One year short of the tenth anniversary of Classic Space, 1988 had but one set fromt he line, since Futuron was taking the forefront along with its opposition, Blacktron. Some might argue that Futuron was pretty similar to Classic Space, but this was the last set ever to get one of the Classic Spacemen. The question is, will I like anything about this set other than the beautiful blue Spaceman? Come along with me as I find out…

BOX

This box was evidently meant to hang on a rack of some sort, hence the folded up top with the cutout. It was surely the impulse of its day, although only two Space sets released in 1988 had over 200 parts, with most being below 100. Anyhow, packaging with the grid background like this was introduced in 1987, a year before this set, but was then changed to blue in 1989. It's a nice bridge between Classic Space packaging and later retro grids, since it kept the silly sand dunes iconic of CS artwork. It certainly evokes a Space-y feel, without having much detail other than the set. I appreciate that, back then, even in America LEGO kept its box front free from too much information.

5762782465_b125576d0d_z.jpg

Sorry if you found my history lesson on the last picture tedious. I'll keep it shorter from now on, mostly. The back is also uncluttered, and, in classic style, it features alternate model ideas. Honestly, the one on the right looks better than the set itself, while the others are just nonsensical.

5763328246_73e413a0f6_z.jpg

Each side of the box is the same, taken up entirely by a shot of the main model, but with the Droid having usurped the Spaceman's throne, um… flying machine. It's sad that sets nowadays have too much copyright info and the like on their boxes, without much room for full panels with pictures.

5762783061_ea3b4de038_z.jpg

I really love what's written on these boxes; it's so funny if you're in the right mood! On the top are the title and piece count (of 'interlocking' pieces), as well as a little blurb about how all 'LEGOLAND' sets work together. I guess LEGO (in America anyway) was not such a pervasive toy yet by 1988, so LEGO still felt the need to push their toy concept. What I find funny is that each word in both the first and last sentences of the blurb is capitalized, and LEGO is really pushing Endless Building Excitement (EBE?)

5762783339_0a1c6b29fa_z.jpg

By 1988 some parts were made in Denmark, Switzerland, and the U.S.A, although I have later sets that say Denmark only. Also note that the company was still called "Interlego A.G." It also helpfully tells you that you can use the box for storage…

5763328700_c71a7fa3c6_z.jpg

In fact, that's how I found it in the thrift store - with the set built and stored inside!

5763328968_835e084026.jpg

Overall, I don't know how much the box would scream "Buy me!" but it does scream "Cuddle with me because I have a freaking cute smiley spaceman inside!"

INSTRUCTIONS

I wasn't sure which side to show first because there's no clear front, per se. As usual for sets of this era, the instructions are one folded piece of paper, as opposed to a booklet. Nowadays, it's only sets this small that don't have booklets.

Anyway, here's the side that shows the two pictures of the set from the box and the final two steps. My copy had been folded for a long time, so I wasn't even going to attempt making it flat.

5763329306_b2d504c779_z.jpg

This side shows the build of the minifigure, droid, and five of seven steps for the chair thing. The real difference between these instructions and modern ones is the way these have no wasted space; all the steps are crammed as closely together as possible. And the truth is, why not? It's still quite easy to tell what's going on.

5763329124_161556c4ce_z.jpg

I thought I'd highlight the pictures of the minifigure in the instructions because they're just so cute! The straight-on perspective makes the figure look quite comical.

5762784143_fb5a9cd034.jpg

MINIFIGURE

If all else about this set fails, the minifigure alone makes it worth it. Classic Castle figures may be nice and all, but nothing can touch the Classic Spaceman in my book. The idea of a single-color suit was such a good one, and sadly something never done again. While the new, highly detailed figures of other themes are arguably better than their overly simplistic predecessors, the Space theme has never produced a better-looking figure than this classic guy right here.

5763332860_b4f07774e7_z.jpg

I understand that this old-style helmet was too thin and easily breakable, but it's a real shame it had to go. Its replacement works as a biking helmet with a visor (and for Castle), but it is nowhere near as stylish as the classic helmet which easily conveys a sense of there being invisible glass there.

5763331716_4eb8167b65_z.jpg

This exact helmet is the kind with a thick, reinforced chinstrap and no dimples to attach a visor. Here I compare it to another that also has the thick chinstrap with the addition of visor dimples. I like the one without dimples better as there are no use for them here anyway, but both still look better than the new helmet. Check here to see them all.

5762786075_3c78d08ae1_z.jpg

Additionally, this copy of the figure (pictured right) has the old-style, solid stud with LEGO on it, matching normal studs on plates.

5762786379_3a48c92c38_z.jpg

ACCESSORY

To communicate with Earth or base camp, our intrepid little space explorer has a standard-issue walkie-talkie. Funny that they use the exact same type in Town.

5763332002_47d5dbf6f2.jpg

PRINTED PARTS

Kids, it's 1988, things like tiles and slopes are printed, not stickered. The tile was common enough, coming in 44 sets total, but this was one of only two normal sets that had the slope with this printing in grey. While both are nice by themselves, we will see that the tile is not used so well in the model…

5762786885_0cc81767ef_z.jpg

DROID

So here is one half of what gives this set its name: the Droid. It seems straight from a bad '80s (or earlier) sci-fi movie to me, which I guess is what the set designer was going for anyway. It's pretty cute, especially because it seems portly, which is not how I usually think of robots. The only thing I'm not so fond of here is the grey eyes; trans-yellow would've worked much better. At the same time, I suppose the set designer wanted a two color only droid, which perhaps amounts to something.

5762787485_0e9a8255d2_z.jpg

These days, Droid is pretty much synonymous with Star Wars (even the Droid phone uses the name under license from Lucasfilm), which got me wanting to compare a SW Droid with this one. Funny that the design for C-3PO came out more than a decade before this set, but it didn't first show up in LEGO for more than a decade later (and even later in dark pearl gold).

5779262306_6e7f888e1f_z.jpg

XT-5 (aka chair)

So now I've gotten past the awesome minifigure, past the fairly ok Droid, and onto the main build of the set, the XT-5. And how does it strike me?

It's just a freaking chair! Seriously now, what purpose could this little vehicle actually serve? If I was an explorer or scientist working on a deserted moon-like planet, why the hell would I need a rocket chair? It seems like the only purpose would be for a bit of recreation; "oh, I'm bored, I'll go play around in the XT-5 for a bit until I get too dizzy"

5763330576_7e64601b23_z.jpg

But there are also some outright design flaws. Besides for being extremely clunky looking, the rocket chair also features control levers that cannot be grasped by our smiley Spaceman friend, and a control panel tile that is… behind his head?! Fine, maybe it's just a sound system or something, but if those little dots on the tile are buttons like I think they are, why the hell would that be where the Spaceman couldn't touch them (and could accidentally smash his head into them)?

5763331064_860e8d30c0.jpg

This straight-on angle especially makes the XT-5 seem like just a drab Space throne. Maybe its purpose is for one of the Spacemen to sit in it and shout orders at the other ones.

5763330092_99f8b9d601.jpg

The side view isn't much of anything. It's a blocky little thing, and I don't understand the purpose of those green bits. But really, since it's just a chair, I guess the green lights are just for emphasis.

5762784843_b4dd931349_z.jpg

The back conveniently has a place where you can attach the walkie-talkie so that you don't lose it while playing out endless adventures with blue spacey and his flying chair of glory.

5762785721_3802f6528d_z.jpg

CONCLUSION

5763329688_10893769ff_z.jpg

There you have it, the XT-5 and Droid in its completed glory. Though this set is small, I have the same feeling about it that I do for all of Classic Space: cool figures, blocky, kitsch-y constructions. The overall drabness of it is a '70s and '80s style thing that will never come back, but it is an interesting idea in its own right. Honestly, who actually wants sets that are all grey? I, for one, like a bit more color.

The Droid is ok, not so bad, semi-playable. The XT-5, though, is just a chair, and a flawed one at that. It's far from aerodynamic, doesn't have usable controls, and just serves no purpose. If I had been around really when this set came out, I don't think I would've been interested at all, save for the figure. He (or she!) is awesome.

RATINGS

Pieces: 8/10 - It's hard for me to rate pieces in this set. I just don't know, are these useful pieces? I like the two printed parts, and some of the other stuff is ok too.

Minifigures: 10/10 - Need I saw more about the awesomeness that is the Classic Spaceman?

Design - 5.5/10 - I hardly ever rate anything so low, but c'mon now, the chair is just silly.

Price: 9/10 - I don't know what this retailed for, but if it was around $5 then it was a fine price.

Playability: 7/10 - You can go on some adventures with your Droid friend perhaps, or rebuild the whole thing, so I guess it's sort of playable.

Overall: 7.9/10 - That's not such a great grade where I come from; it's what we call 'average.' And that's exactly how I feel. Nowadays, with the set not being new on the shelves anyway, I would just BL the figure if I wanted one and pass on this boring little set.

bzzzzztt Uh, sir, my Droid is getting a bit funky with the XT-5. bzzztt Immediate assistance requested. bbzzzttt Over.

5763332270_8393b56779_z.jpg

Really nice review Clone O'Patra, :thumbup:

This set is all about the nice figure and of course his chair. :tongue:

I do own this little set myself, and like you I find it somewhat lacking in it's design, I agree that the model on the back at the right looks better.

the Inventor

:laugh: Nice review Cloney O! Loads of funny comments. :thumbup: I was able to get some of the classic space sets myself and I'm quite enjoying them myself! I really do like the minifigures in the sets. I may try to review some of my own sets.

Nice review for a not-so-great (but CLASSIC! :sceptic: ) set. I can say that the all gray color scheme wouldn't have struck me as anything odd in 1988. Monochromatic design was HUGE in the Eighties, and was accordingly seen as the Way of the Future.

About this: It's just a freaking chair! Seriously now, what purpose could this little vehicle actually serve? If I was an explorer or scientist working on a deserted moon-like planet, why the hell would I need a rocket chair? It seems like the only purpose would be for a bit of recreation; "oh, I'm bored, I'll go play around in the XT-5 for a bit until I get too dizzy"

My first thought would be that it's a lifter chair for work in high gravity, the sort of gravity that laughs at Terran notions of gravity, that will kill you if you try to move around in it with your puny Earth-adapted muscles. Our man Blue has joined the research crew on this planet, which holds resources of "significant monetary value" inside its lethal gravity well. Again, it's 1988, so "the future" means men in power suits doing the exploitation exploration, instead of robots or drones, because of course robots always end up revolting and enslaving humanity.

I'll grant you that the design still sucks, and you need at least a pair of claws to make the "lifter chair" concept work, but hey - it's 1988!

EDIT TO ADD: or maybe it's just a futuristic wheelchair.

Edited by Gryphon Ink

Thanks for makng this excellent review and sharing you thoughts aboat a classic-spaces set. Your review makes me wanna bricklink one of these minifigs right away.

It is just a chair, and some of its names in other countries don't cut corners on this fact:

US: XT-5 and Droid

UK: Speed Rider with Robot

France: Scooter spatial et robot (Space Scooter and Robot)

The Netherlands: Vliegstoel en maanmonster (Airchair and Moonmonster)

Germany: Schubsessel (Thrustchair)

Italy: Simulatore di volo con robot (Flight Simulator with Robot)

In Italy, apparently, it doesn't even fly! It's only a simulator!

If anyone from any of these countries has a better translation to offer, I invite you to by all means! Most of these translations come from a blend of Google Translate, Wiktionary, and guesswork. But I put a lot of work into finding region-specific names for this and many other websites, and hopefully Brickset will be carrying these names soon enough.

Anyway, as for the review-- it's nice to get such a good look at a classic set from before my time! Personally, I don't mind the small size of the vehicle. Hoverchairs are a staple of classic sci-fi, and if there's anything the Segway has taught us it's that even in today's world there's a place for small and unobtrusive personal vehicles. All it needs is a cup holder to be the perfect item for the casual space explorer! :laugh:

The droid is cute. Incidentally, Lucasfilms has a trademark on the word "droid" (check the fine print on any ad for the Motorola Droid), so TLG probably couldn't call their robots "droids" today unless they had Lucasfilms's approval! Obviously this trademark wasn't well enforced until after the 90s, given how many old catalogs for Spyrius and Exploriens had spiky word bubbles reading "DROID!" as if it were a main selling point. Although in retrospect the Spyrius droid is my favorite LEGO robot by far, so perhaps it was a main selling point.

Thanks so much for taking the time to write this review!

Edited by Aanchir

Incidentally, Lucasfilms has a trademark on the word "droid" (check the fine print on any ad for the Motorola Droid), so TLG probably couldn't call their robots "droids" today unless they had Lucasfilms's approval!

Exactly, which is why I wrote:

These days, Droid is pretty much synonymous with Star Wars (even the Droid phone uses the name under license from Lucasfilm), which got me wanting to compare a SW Droid with this one.

Interesting about the different names, though. I suppose things need made up strings of numbers and letters to sound cool in the U.S., huh.

Ahh a very nostalgic little space set... I love those simple days when we don't really care how "silly"-designed these mini-vehicles were (like this flying space chair) even if these defy scientific laws of the universe, as long as it looks cool and we get that classic space man minifig. Yes, good ol' days... <end of nostalgia> Thanks for sharing this excellent review CloneyO! :thumbup:

Your lucky lol, that is quite the find! I shop at thrift stores too but unfortunately I have never came across some lego there.

Very good review of a very lucky find! :wub: I don't think much of this set, but it's great to at last have review of it.

I do agree with what you say about the helmets, in that the old ones didn't need a visor as it didn't look like it was missing one. The first one was even better in that it had no chin bump at all... but most of mine broke as a kid so there you go!

Fantastic review Clone O'Patra! :classic:

I can definitively relate to a longing for the older-style kit, I think that the encouraged alternate builds and the simplistic play features really gives classic space a kind of charm that you don't find in a lot of themes today - no factions or teams or crystal/jewels/gold to hunt for!

but maybe that's just the nostalgia goggles... :grin:

still, this is an awesome review nonetheless! What a great find!

thanks for this greaaaat review! :sweet:

these small sets were always high popular with me, to be honest. true, the design never made much sensce, but a blue space dude was very rare, and did you take a look at these parts? a printed grey tile, levers, technic arms,... these sets were ideal as parts packs for your own mocs...

btw, the condition of the blue dude looks really great! lucky you! :sweet: