cb4

WIP Barbary Corsair Xebec

Comparing your latest pictures with the original drawings in post 1, I think you can get away with increasing the thickness of the yards, i.e. adding a layer of planks to make them stiffer.

In the plans the yard's seem to be made out of two beams tied together?

Bart

Comparing your latest pictures with the original drawings in post 1, I think you can get away with increasing the thickness of the yards, i.e. adding a layer of planks to make them stiffer.

In the plans the yard's seem to be made out of two beams tied together?

Bart

Yup, I'm guessing that having yards longer than the keel is impractical for storage purposes (not to mention the problem of finding large enough trees!) I may end up doing the same thing, I'm not quite sure yet. I'm also wondering if I can set things up such that I can re-rig as a polacre on the fly, since that was a common practice with xebecs in order to gain downwind performance.

If you make two yards from 1X1 round bricks, you could lash then together like in the picture, and if you use wire down the middle rather than a ridged pole you can make them bend as if under their own weight or the stress of the sails in the wind. I also think it’ll make them closer to scale.

Wow. from an engineers standpoint the design is amazing. The frame in particular is stunning. Great job!

Like this?

xebecrig2.jpg

I thought you wanted to go for easy rigging?

But it also would be great if your ship would be able to change the rigging.

But did they carry all the necessary equipment, to re-rig, with them all the time?

The extra rigging wires, the topmast pieces, yard's, sails.

That sounds like a bit of space wasting to me, and it makes me assume that some Xebec's where rigged with lateen sails and others polacre. But that is just my opinion.

On the thought that this is not the real world, its the Lego world, it still would be nice to have your ship to be able to re-rig :)

Bart

I thought you wanted to go for easy rigging?

But it also would be great if your ship would be able to change the rigging.

But did they carry all the necessary equipment, to re-rig, with them all the time?

The extra rigging wires, the topmast pieces, yard's, sails.

That sounds like a bit of space wasting to me, and it makes me assume that some Xebec's where rigged with lateen sails and others polacre. But that is just my opinion.

On the thought that this is not the real world, its the Lego world, it still would be nice to have your ship to be able to re-rig :)

Bart

Well, in the book Master and Commander the xebec-frigate Cacafuego was actually in the process of changing her rigging between xebec and polacre in one of the circumstances when the Sophie caught sight of her. This might simply be something that Patrick O'Bryan made up, but as he based the action on various historical accounts of HMS Speedy's capture of the El Gamo, I consider it to be at the very least plausible. It wasn't at all something that was critical to the plot, so it makes me think he simply put it in to inform the reader. The author did a great deal of research to make sure everything he put into his books was as realistic as possible (though he took a lot of liberties with history), so I don't think he'd put it in if it was something that was never practiced.

These latest pics of the ship are simply amazing. This is so innovative and turning out to be the best Xebec ever made with LEGO.

I keep coming back to this thread and each time I drool over the pics :pir-wub:

Quick update, rigging mechanism only. My first attempt made me realize that I needed to reduce the transverse loads on the masts when raising the yards and find a way to make the halyards run more smoothly.

I've switched the top-blocks from using technic pieces with holes to a sandwich of round 1x1 plates. This allows the halyards to pass through the top of the mast without catching on any sharp edges. It's not as good as if I had little wheels in there, but there just isn't enough space. I've also added technic plates partway down the masts to act as guides for the halyards, and used headlight bricks to make little blocks at the bottom to run the halyards through. This ensures that pulling on a halyard doesn't pull the mast sideways. Finally, I've changed the way the halyards attach to the yards so that there is a little block-and-tackle. This halves the amount of force needed to lift the yards and allows the halyards to be belayed just by wrapping them around the bottom a few times.

6157130030_ebdf273d90_b.jpg

6156587795_399d72f4e1_b.jpg

6157129716_7298930356_b.jpg

6157129934_f8ebda89ef_b.jpg

6157173216_38ebe9a29e_b.jpg

The structure on top of the masts looks very complicated with all those ropes. Also very clever of course :pir-classic:

I agree that your way of making the blocks is probably the best solution.

I think you could have used a thicker rope on some places, for the shrouds for example, but it doesn't really bother me.

Good luck! I can't wait to see this finished :pir-classic:

The structure on top of the masts looks very complicated with all those ropes. Also very clever of course :pir-classic:

I agree that your way of making the blocks is probably the best solution.

I think you could have used a thicker rope on some places, for the shrouds for example, but it doesn't really bother me.

Good luck! I can't wait to see this finished :pir-classic:

Yup, I've got to buy some thick thick string for the standing rigging. Shrouds and stays shouldn't be all thin like they are.

This is going to be stunning. Your love to accuracy and detail is a feast fo the eyes.

Very neat solution with the 1x1 rounds, I envy your brain for thinking of those things :)

Looking forward to the next update.

Bart

Finally, another update. Sorry about the background, I just don't have anything more appropriate right now.

The sails are temporary - they're paper, but they have the correct dimensions and I've tried to trim the yards according to the plans. I've improved the arrangements of the masts and disposed of the technic plates I was using as guides for the halyards. They interfered with the raising of the yards and didn't look quite right. I've employed my version of catharpins to try to get the shrouds more out of the way of the yards.

I finally gave up on a brick-built launch. I'd rather not reveal just how many attempts I made, but I was always dissatisfied with the result. Three boats seems all the better for a surprise attack.

The boats are raised above the deck so that they don't interfere with the working of the great guns. The cannon are able to recoil fully even with the boats stowed aboard.

I've hired a crew of 40 very bad men, and they're eager for a cruise.

6212796913_e1bbb05eb7_b.jpg

6212797095_81f4e7bde2_b.jpg

6212797285_7a505ec03f_b.jpg

This is breathtaking!! I've never imagined that a lego ship can be build like this :pir-sweet:

Just a rediculous question:will this xebec float in water?

Just a rediculous question:will this xebec float in water?

Well, strictly speaking she will not because she is not watertight. However, if made watertight she is at least dynamically stable since she is built to the lines of a real ship.

I've experimented with this previously and the hull will float, although rather deeper than I would like due to the weight of the model.

Well, strictly speaking she will not because she is not watertight. However, if made watertight she is at least dynamically stable since she is built to the lines of a real ship.

I've experimented with this previously and the hull will float, although rather deeper than I would like due to the weight of the model.

Back then you sad you would redo the experiment again when it was finished, you still up for that?

Your ship looks great, all those details, the way you made the rigging workable, shape, crew, and so on.

it doesn't bother me at all you didn't make a brickbuild launch, the three prefabs look good too.

Bsrt

Back then you sad you would redo the experiment again when it was finished, you still up for that?

Yes, but it might be a while since I need to resolve some piece-tolerance issues that have been plagueing me. I make a lot of use of headlight bricks, but when two headlight bricks are attached together with one plugged into the recess of the other, the combination is slightly longer than two studs, with unhappy consequences. This is very bad since headlight bricks are the best way to generate a half plate offset in the same direction, or zero plate offset in the reverse direction. It is possible to avoid this by plugging the headlight bricks together in the opposite way so that they are attached to the back and not the front, but this takes up a lot more space.

She looks amazing, is breath taking too strong a sentiment? A more realistic lego ship I doubt I’ve ever seen. I seriously covet this vessel. If there is one thing I’m not fond of, it is certainly a singular and unimportant issue. I am not fond of the red gun port flaps though. I much rather liked the black. Honestly this is a trifle.

As for floating the hull, you might try trapping some closed cell foam within the cavity inside the hull. Though I wouldn’t suggest spraying it actually inside the structure as it would probably break her apart and effectively, glue everything together; expanding spray foam, like from the hard ware store, could be used to add buoyancy. I’d first form a block, somewhat larger than the hull and then carve it down to fit. You may have to ballast to offset the increased (or would it be decreased?) draft, but that could be as simple as laying a few marbles or ball bearings along the keel first.

If the flat back gig type Lego boats bother you for accuracy, I’ve seen many times (wouldn’t even know who to credit) where builders cut two Lego boats off at the stern and glued them together to make one longer craft.

Again, thanks for sharing her!

If there is one thing I’m not fond of, it is certainly a singular and unimportant issue. I am not fond of the red gun port flaps though. I much rather liked the black. Honestly this is a trifle.

Yes, I'm not too sure either about the gunports. There are only a few colours available to me for this. White didn't look good, black looks good, if a little uninteresting, and red gives it a nice bit of colour. It's an easy thing for me to change and I probably won't make a final decision on them anytime soon. I just remember how much I liked the BSB's red gunports.

Yes, I'm not too sure either about the gunports. There are only a few colours available to me for this. White didn't look good, black looks good, if a little uninteresting, and red gives it a nice bit of colour. It's an easy thing for me to change and I probably won't make a final decision on them anytime soon. I just remember how much I liked the BSB's red gunports.

I like the red gunports a lot, as they give a bit of colour. I think I would like dark red ones even better. :pir-sweet:

Can't wait to see the finished result, you've certainly made an original and great looking ship!

Personally, I like the black- red would conflict with your gun carriages. Whatever you decide though, she is an excellent ship- actually, I hope you don't mind, but I used your plans to build a small wooden model. Hope to see some more shots soon! (I hope she has an interior!)

The rigging - in particular the yards - weighs too much in proportion to the rest of the model, and destroys its stability despite my attempts at ballast. So I suppose it's never going to be a floating model ever again.

There is an interior, but it's mostly empty space. The main deck extends back under the quarterdeck far enough to support the aftermost four guns, but it's all raw structure underneath. There's actually piles of space in there. If you pry up the deck sheaves there's huge amounts of room between the deck and the side planking. Maybe I'll add some rats.

Edited by cb4

I've been following this topic a lot, and you've certainly come a long way with this vessel. For a rather unconventional design, you've done a great job with the build. The curves are majestic, and viewing your latest photos, much larger than I first suspected.

Keep up the great work. :thumbup: