Oky

D2C Contest: Temple of Anubis

Prof. Archibald Hale's Adventure Journal

September 2, 1924:

After traveling through the desert for over a week, fighting undead mummies and giant mystical monsters, we had finally gathered all the six magical treasures of Amset Ra! However, the pharaoh mysteriously disappeared after our last battle, and last night his servants snuck into our camp and stole the treasures! Luckily those clumsy goons dropped a map that leads to the location where they are bringing the treasures! Undoubtedly, Amset Ra will be waiting for them there, preparing to take over the world. We must get there before it's too late! I have already called in an airplane to transport us there immediately.

September 3, 1924:

We have arrived at the "X" on the map. It turns out to be the legendary Temple of Anubis! It is located near a bend of the Nile and it's a breathtaking sight! We have set up camp right outside the temple and have already begun excavations. We found lots of treasure buried underneath the sand, so I can only imagine what we will find inside the temple itself! We are now making preparations to enter it. If the legends are true, we will need all our wits and strength if we are to survive the temple's traps and stop Amset Ra in time to save the world!

Temple of Anubis

p1090664_small.jpg

This large Direct-to-Customer set has tons of play features! It comes with a seaplane, a motorcycle, a camel, and a crocodile, and includes the minifigs Jake Raines, Helena Skvalling, Prof. Archibald Hale, Amset Ra, Rejuvenated Amset Ra, two mummy warrior, two flying mummies, two Anubis Guards, a skeleton, a pilot, and three workers! The temple has an open back and the roof and second floor can be taken off for easy play inside!

p1090702_small.jpg

Before the adventurers can enter the temple, they must face the two giant Anubis statues by the entrance which come to life!

p1090712_small.jpg

Once the statues are defeated, you can open the door by twisting one of the knobs next to it.

p1090721_small.jpg

The walls of the entrance chamber close in on the intruders and will squish them unless they find the secret swivel door! If they survive that, they must find the key that will activate a mechanism that causes a staircase to fold out from a wall and lead up to the main chamber above! But watch out, the key is booby trapped and guarded by Anubis Guardians! If you pull a pin on the outside, an axe will swing down in front of the key!

p1090735_small.jpg

In the main room of the temple, Amset Ra has gathered the six magic treasures around the giant Anubis bust (whose eyes can light up!) and is preparing to harness their power! The only chance for the adventurers to stop him is for the Professor to arrange the tiles in the center of the room into a particular pattern with each of the symbols in their correct corner, while the other two fight off the pharaoh's undead warriors! If they fail to solve the sliding puzzle in time, The pharaoh will use the power of the treasures to rejuvenate himself and become more powerful than ever!

p1090762_small.jpg

The shelves on both sides of the room are filled with various valuables and there's a bowl full of gold pieces, but beware! With the pull of a pin on the outside of the temple, anyone who approaches the golden bowl will fall into a spike pit below!

The seaplane is based on the Grumman Amphibious aircraft and can open up to seat minifigs inside. It also has an opening door.

Please check out the other pics in this brickshelf folder to see all of the features of this amazing set!

Edited by Oky Wan Kenobi

A fantastic entry Oky! :thumbup: The temple looks great, especially with the two giant black statue details in the entrance, and very nice usage of those printed base plates/pieces. Pretty good combination of structure (temple) + vehicles (airplane, motorycle) + minifigs + and supporting elements (animals, tent, etc.). Excellent work overall, and looking forward for more pictures.

Looking good, really love that plane, but seems like someone's going to have some trouble flying it out of there :laugh: Can't wait to see the inside of the temple.

That plane is sick Oky! Although I don't know why they would set up camp right outside the temple were they are vunerable to attacks. :laugh:

I'll definetly be watching this one for more pics!

Nice entry! I really like the plane and the digging site. The baseplate use is really creative too. The animals and plants add good affects

to this Moc. Keep building! :sweet:

So, Oky, when will we get to see more pictures of this? The voting is already open, and I'd love to see more of this before I place my votes.

Thanks for the comments so far everyone. Sorry for the delay, but I have updated the first post with the other pics now, so please check it out and let me know what you think! :classic:

Really? No comments? :sad: I know it's too late to do revisions, but I'd still really like to know what you all think of this creation as I worked quite hard on it.

I don't usually visit the Action Themes area of the forum, so I apologize for not commenting sooner. As a fan of the show "Tales of the Gold Monkey" as a kid, I absolutely love your creation! Whenever I see the Pharaoh's Quest team or the Lego Adventurers line, I always think of Indiana Jones and Tales of the Gold Monkey. If you are familiar with the show, you'll know that it features a Grumman Goose. If you don't win this contest, you should sell plans for that sea plane... I'd gladly pay a few bucks to get a copy.

That's not all I love about your MOC... I also love the overall design, the giant Anubis statues... all of the many traps. This is a really great MOC... one of only a few from this contest that I would most definitely buy if I saw it - first because I like the set, and second because I love that plane! (and I'm still kicking myself for not buying the Indiana Jones set with the DC3!)

Thanks, meyerc13, I appreciate it. Yes, the seaplane is my personal favorite part of this creation too. I have not heard of Tales of the Gold Monkey, but I did watch and love TaleSpin, which also featured a somewhat similar seaplane. :thumbup: I don't plan on selling my designs. If someone really wants to recreate the plane, they should be able to do it just by studying the photos. If not, I'll gladly provide more pics for free. :classic:

Still hoping to read more comments! :sweet:

This is excellent! I gave this entry one point. I definetely would have given it more, but there was just too many excellent entries to give a single MOC more than one vote! I'm sorry you didn't win, but I think your entry was good enough.

I really like all of the details. The map puzzle is a really ingenious idea, and there's a lot of nice play features, which is like a real set. I think there's a bit too much minifigs for a real set, but the building and the plane are definetely D2C standard. Well done, and thanks for sharing!