Sign in to follow this  
Tanotrooper

Ancient Antiquity

indexed.gif

Salve! :laugh:

I'll be working on several figures and scenes from the Ancient Antiquity, most notably Romans but other cultures aswell. (Greek scenes will finally become a reality thanks to the Spartan Collectible Minifigure.) The focus of these MOCs will be historical accuracy, and highlighting periods of the Antiquity that are often forgotten or misinterpred. (Republican Rome for example.)

To start off, perhaps one of the most recognisable troops of the era (well, next to the Classical Greek hoplite): the Roman legionair from the 1st-2nd Century AD. This was the time when Rome reached the height of its power, and when the Pax Romana (the peace within the Empire itself) was (more or less) sustained. (No civil wars that tore the Romans apart and rebellions such as in Judea were succesfully crushed.)

5625205502_8b2271a4fa_b.jpg

After many, many years (that would be around 6, I have done everything from purist to custom) I have finally come up with a sturdy, bent scutum design that can also be decorated like the original. I actually got the idea for this design while sitting in my Ancient Antiquity class. :laugh:

The pilum is also a new design. This version, with the ball-shaped weight was introduced later on than the regular one with the trapezoid base. The extra weight made it more accurate and easier to throw.

And I was able to use my Latin aswell. :grin: Foolish are those who say it's a useless class at school!

Well this is it for now, but I'm working on some Republican Romans which I'll hopefully be able to post soon.

Comments and constructive criticism are as always appreciated! :classic:

TT

The brick-built shield is fantastic! Getting the right angled surface and the prints using the hands is really very clever. Great job as always TT! :thumbup:

Excellent work, Tanotrooper! The use of the rapier is perfect, and I too love the shield. :wub:

Absolutely love it! The shields design, as remarked above, is superb, and the face and helmet work very well together. He seems very posable and very fun, and I feel like the proportions are good. Generally brick built legs with normal arms throw me, this one seems to work well!

Absolutely love it! The shields design, as remarked above, is superb, and the face and helmet work very well together. He seems very posable and very fun, and I feel like the proportions are good. Generally brick built legs with normal arms throw me, this one seems to work well!

Thank you all for commenting, much appreciated! :classic: He is quite poseable, but the epaulettes need to be removed to give his arm a bit more range when doing action shots. I'm glad the rapier/foil was released with such a short handle. At first I didn't like it for the foil, but it worked out great for the pilum.

TT

Edited by Tanotrooper

Beautiful! I think you came about as close as one can get this way to make it historically accurate :thumbup:

It seems even more posable than normal minifigs, and especially the shield is clever designed.

Oh my goodness, honestly TT, I think these are your best figures yet!

Why thank you, thank you all! :blush: I'm hoping to get a century of them together in the following months so that'll look even more impressive. (I'm anxious to see how the testudo would work out.)

TT

Indeed, one of you best. Please make more! I've tried my hand at making some TT figs and I've already got one really good one. You came up with an incredible design!

Keep the Brick Alive

~Captain Bayonet