maydayartist

Big medieval landscape: BIG UPDATE on page 26

It looks amazing, I am just new here, so I couldn't post about it before, but this, this is amazing. I wish I could make a moc like that. Do you know how many pieces it has? More than 30.000? And how many minifigures does it have?

jeroenaa

O, btw, how do you get a picture under your message? I see it with other members, but I can not figure it out. maybe you can help me?

Hello jeroenaa,

sorry I'm very busy with my new build last time so I missed your question.

The complete amount isn't count but I would say over 30000 is a good guess.

The minifigures are the last work and not my beloved ;)

In this moment it has about 40.

The picture and the message is given by the admin of EB.

Phil

Edited by maydayartist

hey,

thanks for taking time for me. I asked about the pictures under the foto, and I got an answer before, but still thanks.

30000 is a lot of pieces. I have around 300 2x4, not grey, so I have to buy a lot of pieces. I am building parts of it and count the pieces, write it down, and then build another part and so on. It is a lot of work, but it is fun. The minifigs are not that big of a problem. I just make it a castle from 2 or 3 factions, joined by an alliance. I wont make the nature around, that is for later times. The minifigs are my favourite part.

Jeroenaa

I'm absolutely and totally speechless.

I've only just discovered this thread, and as I'm writing this am in the process of reading all of it. Starting at the beginning, with no sneaky peeks at the back.

So far, with every update, I'm more and more amazed. In fact, I'm continuously thinking 'Holy Mother of F...'.

Right now, I'm on page 7 with the first pics of the whole landscape finished, and this is where you managed to utterly shatter my jaw (from dropping it way too hard ;)) for the first time.

Absolutely brilliant. I remember that, as a child, I used to dream pf something like this, as it always annoyed me that my city was flat. But I never thought of anything like THAT (if only for lack of bricks...). The attention to detail, and all the amazing ideas that went into this (the secret escape passage from the castle being my favorite so far), is just brilliant.

I'll leave this tab open and continue reading...

Page 8:

Tourney grounds and chapter 1 finished... It's amazing how alive the whole scenery looks. The brickbuilt trees are brilliant. And all the small details everywhere, all the action in the tourney grounds, the farmer and his cart, the dude resting against the trunk of on of the trees...

Page 9, 10, 11: First buildings the blacksmith with the lighting looks very good, and the tavern with the angled footprint and the overhanging storeys so typical for (german) medieval villages and cities is propably as realistic and lifelike as you can get with Lego... the details on the facade, the crests, the tavern sign, the roof over the entrance, and of course the wooden stucture (I totally love Fachwerk (wooden structured) houses, living in one from the 16th century myself...).

As I said, I'm writing this reply as I'm reading the thread (there's an evening gone :D), and right now, i can't wait to see what the rest of the village looks like...and the castle!

...and the first shots of the village (with three houses in it) really puts things in perspective. From the looks of it, I'd say your buildings are just about to scale to minifigs...and suddenly the enourmous landscape looks comparatively small. Made me realize how out of proportion most Lego creations usually are.

Wow. You made it even bigger, and put a farmhouse with a stable on it, in a size that others build locomotive sheds in. And again, integrated in the chapter, it's abundant with life and details.

Damnit, I wish I had as much lego and time as you do.

I don't want to repeat myself too much, but the windmilll is cool, too, and the row of picturesof the finished village is just breathtaking.

And finally, the castle... absolutely lived up to the expectations built up by the entire thread.

Now all that's left for me to say is what has been said in this thread several times on every page: CantÄt wait for the next update, with the latest house in place and new castle ramp.

Kudos to you for this immense and immensely inspirational build!

This is by far the best Lego scene I have ever seen. The detail here is astounding. This thread alone has kept me coming to Eurobricks, and has also inspired me to get into Lego more.

Are you planning on bringing this to any of the upcoming conventions/shows?

I won't be saying anything you haven't yet heard, but i have just gone thru all 29 pages and all of your updates and i am absolutely speechless. The work that you have put in to it just spectacular.

And it is fascinating to see the project from brick one and see the updates and how you put it all together. Thanks so much for sharing it with us all...

I'm still just in shock by the sheer magnificence of the whole thing. Phenomenal work.

Happy building :laugh:

Browsing through the thread once again and swooning over the updates I missed left me awestruck by its beauty yet again :wub:

However, since this still seems to be unfinished (or at least not yet updated to the finished state), I wonder if you've gotten around to add the two chapters you mentioned? I'd guess that one will connect the drawing bridge of the castle with the actual village, whereas the other will be used to fit the carriage maker, no?

As such, I'm not in the least sorry about digging this up again :tongue:

You shouldn't be, as I have been meaning to go through this thread again, not to mention to plea ask for any updates as well :grin: .

Edited by Penkid11

Still, bumping old threads is frowned upon. Tread lightly with something like this in the future.

Still, bumping old threads is frowned upon. Tread lightly with something like this in the future.

I know and certainly won't follow a career as a necromancer :wink:

It's just that this would've gotten a bump some time anyway. So, better now while it's still somewhat fresh than when the last post was a year ago. Or that, alternatively, maydayartist would be forced to open an entirely new thread for the same thing when he gets around to post an update. Which would need him to at least link to this thread and, unless locked, It hink this would automatically lead to someone digging it up in order to comment on the different stages of development.

I wonder if you've gotten around to add the two chapters you mentioned?

You shouldn't be, as I have been meaning to go through this thread again, not to mention to plea ask for any updates as well :grin: .

It's just that this would've gotten a bump some time anyway. So, better now while it's still somewhat fresh than when the last post was a year ago. Or that, alternatively, maydayartist would be forced to open an entirely new thread for the same thing when he gets around to post an update. Which would need him to at least link to this thread and, unless locked, It hink this would automatically lead to someone digging it up in order to comment on the different stages of development.

You should be sorry bumping threads for questions like this. When maydayartist has a new build for his lay-out, I'm sure he'll post it here. So asking for updates makes no sense at all, so stop doing that. And when maydayartist himself bumps the thread by posting an update that's totally fine, not if you do it like this!

You should be sorry bumping threads for questions like this. When maydayartist has a new build for his lay-out, I'm sure he'll post it here. So asking for updates makes no sense at all, so stop doing that. And when maydayartist himself bumps the thread by posting an update that's totally fine, not if you do it like this!

I have to say, that this thread is been not-upgraded for a while now, and I really want to see some upgrades, so I understand Abu Dun. I wouldn't have posted it here on this thread, but send him a mail, so the moderators don't get angry. I completely understand Abu and Ecc, Don't post anything on an old thread, except you are the creator of the thread.

Edited by Ecclesiastes
Watch what you're saying!

Simply wow!!! This has so much depth and detail I wouldn't know where to start on my favourite areas :)

I love wandering over to this forum from Town....like a wander in the countryside...you guys definitely know how to build a wonderful landscape :)

One of the best, maybe the best, I can honestly say. I've never seen such diorama with such many details. Many bricks, speechless beauty and infinite imagination. You are really a great builder !

I hate that didn't know about this discussion for a while now but that is a beautiful layout and I wish that I could do something like that but my very tiny collection is keeping me down! :sad:

Anyways, beautiful work and I hope to see more work from you in the future! Also, have you ever considered joining the Guilds of Historica? :wink:

This is an Epic build. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Really impressive.

I have something similar in planning stages in the back of my mind.

Based on the landscape around the Gap of Rohan.

I have my Orthanc built, but not quite complete.

Now I just need more space and enough bricks......

I am sure I will be using some of your ideas for the landscaping.

One of the best, maybe the best, I can honestly say. I've never seen such diorama with such many details. Many bricks, speechless beauty and infinite imagination. You are really a great builder !

I hate that didn't know about this discussion for a while now but that is a beautiful layout and I wish that I could do something like that but my very tiny collection is keeping me down! :sad:

Anyways, beautiful work and I hope to see more work from you in the future! Also, have you ever considered joining the Guilds of Historica? :wink:

You guys need to read what Ecclesiastes said.

Do not post something in an old thread like this unless you contribution is substantial. If maydayartist ever has something new to add to the post, then we will discuss it.

I was searching for ideas for my next castle build...... I found this. This is the greatest medieval set up i have ever seen. Well done, every detail is amazing. The castle looks perfect, the town and landscaping is awesome. SO much detail. Its an amazing work of art!