Sign in to follow this  
mutley777

Clone Wars Y-wing project

It looks like you need some more pilots though. :classic:

Based on the size of mutley's armies, I doubt that. :laugh:

Man, this is awesome. I was thinking of doing something similar after rewatching Season 2 but there's no way I'd have your attention to detail. I never even realized that Anakin's Y-Wing was different than the normal troopers. Most impressive.

Nice, I like the standard squadron Y-wing alot. At first I didn't notice the different colour scheme, thought it was the same as the leader one. :blush:

Keep it up!

CF

Pure gold! The CW y-wing looks even better in dk red, I prefer your first version though, as it fits the TLC one.

These look amazing! I loved the dark red in the Zillo Beast Episode and it looks spectacular in Lego! Are you going to include the special bomb thing on the red y-wing (leader)?

• The electro-proton bomb (called the ion bomb during production) is covered with Aurebesh lettering: official red print say such things as "CAUTION ION DETONATOR" and "CODE SWITCH DESIGNATOR" while a hand-scrawled notation on the fin says "THIS IS FOR YOU DOOKU."

Spoiler is for the big image of the bomb:

illo.jpg

There is another image of it attached to the y-wing (also shows the detailing on the underside of the fighters) on the 11th pic in the first slideshow if the episode guide if you were interested.

Can't wait to see more pics, they look great! Great work!:thumbup:

Hey Mutley, could you do instructions for both the red Y-wings? Im keen on making one of them/getting parts for one, as both are excellent. :thumbup:

If you could that would be great! :sweet:

CF

Hey Mutley, could you do instructions for both the red Y-wings? Im keen on making one of them/getting parts for one, as both are excellent. :thumbup:

CF

I think they're more or less recolored stock sets. mutley777 did say there were a few changes made due to part availability but those are pretty obvious from the pictures for the most part and in any case it shouldn't have affected the interior build.

The project is nearly finished :thumbup: all the Y-wings are built with 2 missing some small parts that I missed on my BL orders :hmpf_bad: . Also waiting on some R series droids from USA BL to finish of the ships :classic: .

CF

Oh god I was afriad someone would ask me this :laugh: . This is something I am not going to do I am affraid. It would mean taking the ships apart and taking loads of photos and I just don't have that kind of time free. Plus there are some very rare parts in the Dark red Y-wing that you just can't get enough of, unless like me you already have them :classic: . Sorry CommanderFox as I am sure this was not the answer you were looking for :sceptic: .

The very rare part is this one in dark red. It was only available in one set with only 1 piece in each set, and you need 6!

41531.gif

Oh god I was afriad someone would ask me this :laugh: . This is something I am not going to do I am affraid. It would mean taking the ships apart and taking loads of photos and I just don't have that kind of time free. Plus there are some very rare parts in the Dark red Y-wing that you just can't get enough of, unless like me you already have them :classic: . Sorry CommanderFox as I am sure this was not the answer you were looking for :sceptic: .

The very rare part is this one in dark red. It was only available in one set with only 1 piece in each set, and you need 6!

41531.gif

Thats okay. :sweet:

Yeah, dang that is a rare part. Only 3 of them on BL!. And to top it off, none of the stores ship to me. :hmpf_bad: Oh well, I guess sometime in the future when this part is released in another set making more available and brings the price down, i'll attempt my own red Y-wing. :classic:

Thanks for your help, and i'm looking forward to seeing the finished squadron!

CF

Edited by CommanderFox

Plus there are some very rare parts in the Dark red Y-wing that you just can't get enough of, unless like me you already have them :classic: . The very rare part is this one in dark red. It was only available in one set with only 1 piece in each set, and you need 6!

[snip]

That was in the Wookiee Catamaran, right? Just how many of those did you get? :look:

That was in the Wookiee Catamaran, right? Just how many of those did you get? :look:

Well I only bought one wookiee Catamaran set but after it came out I bought 5 swamp speeders in parts from BL. They were very cheap at the time and I think each one only cost me about £8 a speeder. :grin:

clone_army_1.jpg

I did however buy 4 of that part from BL all from different sellers as part of the Y-wing project. So I only had to take 2 out of my swamp speeders to finish the Y-wing.

Well I only bought one wookiee Catamaran set but after it came out I bought 5 swamp speeders in parts from BL. They were very cheap at the time and I think each one only cost me about £8 a speeder. :grin:

[snip]

I did however buy 4 of that part from BL all from different sellers as part of the Y-wing project. So I only had to take 2 out of my swamp speeders to finish the Y-wing.

Oh, for some reason I forgot only the lead Y-wing has the red with white accents and all the other ones were the opposite. I was thinking you had enough of these to build multiple (3-4) Y-wings.

:oh: Lucky guy...so many swamp speeders... :wub:

No wonder BL is empty of that part! You bought up big! :tongue:

CF

Edited by CommanderFox

So after a month and a half the project is finaly complete. Close to 4000 parts ordered in total with somewhere around a 1000 parts left over. I always over order just in case! :laugh:

The full flight with 1 group leader and 4 standard y-wings.

fs01.jpg

fs03.jpg

fs02.jpg

All 6.

fs04.jpg

fs05.jpg

fs06.jpg

Overall I am pretty happy with how they turned out. The nose on the standard Y-wings was something I toyed with to try and get the stripes all the way to the tip. I did not like the way the I lost the shape of the nose so reverted back to my original method.

nose_test.jpg

The other main gripe is the lack of a left and right 12x3 dark red wedge plate. Not a lot I can do though as the part does not exsist in that colour yet. :laugh:

Hope you like them. :classic:

Great job, mutley. I honestly know very little about the CW variant, so I'll just say they look great together.

Congratulations for completing this project mutley! For the nth time, this is simply an amazing collection of uniquely colored dark red CW Y-Wings. :thumbup: How I wish I could do the same for my Razor Squadron ARC-170s. :grin:

Congratulations for completing this project mutley! For the nth time, this is simply an amazing collection of uniquely colored dark red CW Y-Wings. :thumbup: How I wish I could do the same for my Razor Squadron ARC-170s. :grin:

You mean like this? :devil:

IMG_0021.jpg

That is one heck of a squad Mutley! Great work you did with the color changes though I have to say I like the dark red the best. Are you gonna keep these together for awhile or do you have another project in mind?

I forgot to comment on your ARC collection what. It is indeed impressive as KDM said. It's nice to see I am not the only one who have a Lego Star Wars buying problem :laugh: