Sign in to follow this  
White Nun

Has anyone heard of Cogo?

An importer here in New Zealand is selling playsets by Cogo that seem to be pretty much a Lego copy/clone. Has anyone heard of this company before?

Cogo2.jpg

Unfortunately yes, I have. Originally established in 1993 the Shantou Cheng Lee Plastic Co, lack of a worse word, "specializes" in the manufacture of building bricks, hobby toys and other plastic constructional toys, as well as, the export of numerous (a gagillion) other miscellaneous toys. Kin to Elighten Bricks, err I mean crap :laugh: Hope this answered your question White Nun :classic:

Unfortunately yes, I have. Originally established in 1993 the Shantou Cheng Lee Plastic Co, lack of a worse word, "specializes" in the manufacture of building bricks, hobby toys and other plastic constructional toys, as well as, the export of numerous (a gagillion) other miscellaneous toys. Kin to Elighten Bricks, err I mean crap :laugh: Hope this answered your question White Nun :classic:

I used to live in NZ and i have never heard of 'Cogo' before, But has anyone heard of Kazi?

I used to live in NZ and i have never heard of 'Cogo' before, But has anyone heard of Kazi?

Yep, same deal here too. The Shantou Cheng Lee Plastic Co, I believe is the manufacturer of all of these Chinese knock-offs (Coga, Enlighten, Kazi, etc) It's kinda like how Mattel owns both Matchbox, and Hot Wheels, although there platforms (cars) are completely different. Then again those are quality toys/ collectibles. Something S.C.L.P. Co apparently has no clue. Their market is directed toward the majority of that region and other regions where most can't afford quality products such as Lego.

Quality control is expensive and requires more time during manufacture. S.C.L.P. Co molds and builds these products and is then distributed by the Liangdian Up Company (LDU) which seems to be one of China's main distributors of tons of Chinese products.

The result of this massive flow of low quality product irritates the hell outa me. I am an avid eBayer and purchase many discontinued city sets, bulks, and 9V products. So I'm sure this applies to many. The issue comes mainly to the train section as normally there are only 400-600 listings w/ a third being from the knock offs. City sets, not as bad. Usually those average 3500 listings. M. Blocks never appear, but Kazi or enlightment (all the same) are all over, disrupting searches and don't seem to sell often. Ebay has yet to do something about this :angry: Terrible products, terrible customer service (from feedback I've read) terrible listings (i.e. happy fun time girl picnic dog good day). My advice stick to what we know and love :classic:

Edited by Leg Godt Gud

Hey thanks for the info about these knock-offs. I somehow thought there was a common source for all these Chinese made sets as there seemed to be a lot of similarity of parts no matter what the brand name on the box happened to be.

It might be heresy to say this, but for brick wargaming cheap is good and accuracy and quality of parts is not so much of an issue. I can see though that some of the other knock-off playsets where things are supposed to work and fit together properly for correct function could be a real trial when the quality control is poor.

Hey thanks for the info about these knock-offs. I somehow thought there was a common source for all these Chinese made sets as there seemed to be a lot of similarity of parts no matter what the brand name on the box happened to be.

It might be heresy to say this, but for brick wargaming cheap is good and accuracy and quality of parts is not so much of an issue. I can see though that some of the other knock-off playsets where things are supposed to work and fit together properly for correct function could be a real trial when the quality control is poor.

Amusing though, - one vendor described this as being a 'Roman Battle Set with Cannon'!

Cogo3205.jpg

It's always interesting to hear about knock off brands that I've never seen before. I wouldn't even buy those with someone elses money.

I wouldn't even buy those with someone elses money.

:laugh:

I've seen some sets in a toy store here in Greece and it was mostly castle. Btw, I've noticed something else too:

LE-GO/CO-GO

A red brick for a logo.

"COGO, EXPERT TO ENLIGHTEN CHILDREN"

The age recommendation frame (Playmobil much?)

Perhaps I'm watching too many conspiracy theories movies. :wacko:

:laugh:

I've seen some sets in a toy store here in Greece and it was mostly castle. Btw, I've noticed something else too:

LE-GO/CO-GO

A red brick for a logo.

"COGO, EXPERT TO ENLIGHTEN CHILDREN"

The age recommendation frame (Playmobil much?)

Perhaps I'm watching too many conspiracy theories movies. :wacko:

COGO > COmmunistic leGO :laugh:

Mi pari chi chisthi COGO fazini cagà (from sassarese to english: it seems to me that these COGOs produce in my own inner bowels a strange movement directed to the bottom of my upper body...) :tongue: .

Note in sassarese phrase, the assonance between COGO and cagà :tongue: .

Edited by Plastic Nurak

I love how you guys are misusing the term knock off.

-Omi

knock·off

Pronounced:

/ˈnɑ:kˌɑ:f/

Function:

noun

Inflected forms:

plural knock·offs

Meaning:: a copy that sells for less than the original; a copy or imitation of someone or something popular; a cheap or inferior copy of something. (that purse is a knock off)

*Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Unless used a verb... To stop doing something :classic:

knock·off

Pronounced:

/ˈnɑ:kˌɑ:f/

Function:

noun

Inflected forms:

plural knock·offs

Meaning:: a copy that sells for less than the original; a copy or imitation of someone or something popular; a cheap or inferior copy of something. (that purse is a knock off)

*Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Unless used a verb... To stop doing something :classic:

Meaning that if they literally copied a Lego set and sold it under their own name, that is a knock off. Enlighten Bricks are knock offs because they do that. Cobi Bricks and Mega Bloks are not knock offs because they make their own molds and do not copy Lego's themes or sets. Cogo falls under that category because just by looking at the sets and majority of the pieces, it is its own set and brand.

-Omi

Correct. I really dislike the term "clone brand" as Lego wasn't all that original in the first place, it just massively outstripped the popularity of the previous products. Compatible brand is more accurate, as it then covers the brands that combine with Lego bricks but not the ones that are the wrong scale or connection. Compatible brands include Best Lock, Cobi, Oxford and Mega Blocks.

Bootleg, knock-off and copy are all terms to describe the sets by Enlighten and the like copy set designs of legitamate manufacturers. From the looks of Cogo, it may be a boarderline case. The sets are very generic designs, may of which I have seen under more than one branding. MY, LWD ToyBrick and lots of other logos, names and box designs. Howver some of the sets match designs from Toyriffic sets, who are a bootleg when it comes to Lego set design but the figure parts are either near unique or taken from another company. They all come from the same area of China, so near as I can tell is that some company makes bricks and maybe set designs, many companies take the sets and then put them in a box under their name.

but the figure parts are either near unique or taken from another company.

They look like a mashup between the K'nex figs and Best Lock figs.

-Omi

They are mostly Oxford style figures with a mish mass of headgear and weapons. K'nex guys are not on the same sizes as these figures. They have flattened heads and suchlike, meaning the headgear won't fit Lego figures.

They are mostly Oxford style figures with a mish mass of headgear and weapons. K'nex guys are not on the same sizes as these figures. They have flattened heads and suchlike, meaning the headgear won't fit Lego figures.

I suppose you're right. No one else would know more than you. :)

I hope to see a cogo review from you soon. :P

-Omi

I keep on looking :laugh:

I need to get my old laptop harddrive caddied up and connected so I can post all those other reviews I made before the graphics card died and took the laptop with it!

I have been collecting images of generics in their varied packages as an illustration. It is fascinating how the same set has so many names and brands! The best part are the accessories in different colours than TLG products.

Yes I was tempted to buy some of this stuff. But it does not come with any gears or pulleys. So I got some best lock

Yes I was tempted to buy some of this stuff. But it does not come with any gears or pulleys. So I got some best lock

Best Lock is the devil for me after building the fire station set I had imprints in my hands for days I eventually just threw out most of it and kept the parts I felt were useful, hence my "illegal" (lego illegal) barriers found in my fair scenes.

Best Lock is the devil for me after building the fire station set I had imprints in my hands for days I eventually just threw out most of it and kept the parts I felt were useful, hence my "illegal" (lego illegal) barriers found in my fair scenes.

I agree I threw out half of the stuff because I did not use it

Hahaha, all of my local shops are full of Cogo- Shmogo, Kazi shmazi, Enlighten - Menlighten, Sluban-Thruban, and another potato sack of East-Asian clones. Well, duh, it fits the income levels of general local populace nicely, I guess. And even for those, people save up to give their little a nice present for b-day.

The posh kids go to 'leet' toys shops with genuine shiny Legos, where sale is slow, and the largest $150-160 sets sit on the shelves for literally years. Shop assistant was SO HAPPY to see me display any interest in those, it was funny. Ah, I guess only the wacko AFOL collectors are the true buyers of those.