Locutis

Getting the pieces for Lego 10190 Market Street

. I'd already ordered the five dark blue arches; they are expensive, but I was able to get them at a relatively decent price (compared to other sellers), and all in one order from one seller.

Expensive? You do realise that lego is currently selling them for 72 cents each don't you? (or 55p in UK - see post 31) I always check bricklink prices against lego bricks and pieces, it is often cheaper to buy new from lego instead of bricklink. I ordered quite a number of bricks from mine new from lego because it was cheaper.

Edited by Heppeng

I was under the impression it was Dutch inspired. Certainly the stair stepping is from there. However, the tiles on each "step" is probably there to represent a stone slab on each pillar. I think maybe LEGO just has it too exaggerated. My reference picture .

I agree on how ugly it is. Some people love it, some don't. I am definitely in the latter. I don't mind the color scheme and even the Dutch style has grown on me, but there are so many misses on it, that I want to forget it ever existed. I had planned on building my own version also, taking a few design cues that I liked, but revamping the whole thing. When I first attempted it, it looked nothing like the official set outside of the front steps being curved, so I scrapped the whole idea. I may revisit it again in the future.

I am interested to see yours.

Expensive? You do realise that lego is currently selling them for 72 cents each don't you? (or 55p in UK - see post 31) I always check bricklink prices against lego bricks and pieces, it is often cheaper to buy new from lego instead of bricklink. I ordered quite a number of bricks from mine new from lego because it was cheaper.

Currently? That post is from over a year and a half ago. The U.S. site does not have them at all.

Yes, ever since that Winter village set arose, they became available on both Lego and BL (cheaper at Lego).

We used a different colour arches a few years back to begin with, and after the winter village set came out, we replaced them with dark blue.

Snapshot I JUST took, from US BNP:

19585094458_53343a37a5_o.pngbnp by Fred Haab, on Flickr

As I said in my first post, I did skim through the PAB pages and got a lot of the Market Street bricks from there - I never ignore PAB, especially for "interesting" colors in large quantities.

This arch was sold out when I checked a few days ago, and it's sold out now.

As an update to my first post, another change will be that both upper doors will be left. The BL store I ordered them from had a mistake in inventory, and didn't have the right one, just two lefts. So I went back and looked at the pictures in the review and thought to myself that on a building like that there's no reason the builders would do one left, one right.... so I just figured it not only wouldn't change the appearance, but would actually be more logical anyway.

Edited by fred67

And if you checked the link I showed you, you will get this:

Blue%20arch.jpg

Taken just now, from the US site. It is available Today, but only if you search via the Winter Village 10235 set as shown in my link above which if followed as I explained will give you this screen from where you can buy it. It does show sold out if you search via Market street, which is presumably where you got your screen print from, rather than the link I showed you. However it is most certainly possible to buy from lego. for 72 cents right now - If there is any doubt left here is a screenshot of my basket to which I just added one:

Checkout.jpg

Just search for the 10235 Winter Village bricks, not the Market street as Lego have not updated that page.

Edited by Heppeng

You're link doesn't work, because it redirects me to the page where you enter your age and select the type of part you're looking for, even if I'm logged in (and they already know how old I am).

However, thank's for the tip on looking at other sets. It's too late for this time, but now looking for the best prices becomes that much more complicated because TLG doesn't know how to use a database, apparently, so now you'll have to look up all the sets a part was available in and search them individually.

Edited by fred67

tricksy... tricksy.

New part number for the same element.

Poor Bricklink sellers.... :p

You're link doesn't work, because it redirects me to the page where you enter your age and select the type of part you're looking for, even if I'm logged in (and they already know how old I am).

However, thank's for the tip on looking at other sets. It's too late for this time, but now looking for the best prices becomes that much more complicated because TLG doesn't know how to use a database, apparently, so now you'll have to look up all the sets a part was available in and search them individually.

Oh blast. I did try cutting and pasting the URL in to a new browser window to make sure that it came up as I saw it. I guess the site must have recognised me and used cookies or something to direct me back to the page.

Lego are very poor at updating their pages. I see in the Market Street screenshot you posted that there are some other parts that are greyed out which I am pretty sure are still in production and must be available as spares. Mind you sometimes the cock ups work in your favour - not that long ago you could buy straight lego track sections for 5p each for a couple of weeks due to a pricing error. It was only after they were swamped with large numbers of huge orders that they did something about it, but not until quite a number had been shipped!

Whilst this does make it a little more difficult to find the parts, what I tend to do is if I find an unavailable part, I go looking for it in bricklink and finding out the most recent set which used it. I then check that set at the lego shop, as that page is likely to be the most up to date. I think there are quite a number of older sets which have parts greyed out that you can in fact still buy.

Edited by Heppeng

It is not that bad. The Lego Group updates element IDs frequently. I can't recall the specifics but the element ID number is broken down to denote a few processes. Usually I use the design ID as they aren't updated as often when looking up parts on BnP unless of course I know what set has the part I'm looking for. :laugh: I have spoken to Customer Service before about the BnP pages having issues as there are times they show a part out of stock and they have plenty in stock! Maybe there is a disconnect between sections in the line of communication? It's one of those moments were I wish I knew more about the background processes as I would love to help them with improvements.

Edited by Wodanis

It's just that, knowing SQL - and only as a minor part of my job - it seems like a pretty ridiculous thing that different sets can't match up parts; like one hand doesn't know what the other is doing... which unfortunately happens in large, disparate development projects (a back end inventory system being linked to a sales system).

It's just one of those things that should be better.

There's a similar, but slightly more explainable phenomenon with Café Corner. It uses a load of dark red 1x2x3 slopes, and when I BLed mine a year ago, the BnP site for Café Corner showed them as out of stock (as with pretty much all rare parts in that set). However, the slope was in production and availble through Lego - you just had to search via Pet Shop and you got it. It was twice the price of similar slopes in other arches, but still a lot cheaper then bricklinking them.

Though iirc, the two sets differed slightly, I think Cafe Corner originally had the closed stud version or something. So if you care about that, it wouldn't have helped oyu. Still, lego could and should fix this issue and also link slight modl variations together so they get suggested when you search for an outdated version.

Edited by RogerSmith