To be clear, it DOES have a transmission. However, that transmission is not used to change the gear ratio between the drive wheels and the engine, rather it is used to route the power of the electric motor to different functions. There is no fundamental difference between these two uses of a transmission. From a LEGO perspective, I'm sure they chose the latter simply because it offers more play value to the set's target demographic, 10-16 year old boys. While I personally appreciate the older supercars with gear changing transmissions because of their accuracy with respect to the operation of a real automobile, the actual play value of that feature was rather low since all it did was make the engine move at different speeds. I thought the place it was best implemented was in the 8448 Super Street Sensation if the optional electric motor was added. In this case, a pair of yellow liftarms were used to raise the rear wheels off the ground. You could watch the engine turn at a constant speed while shifting through the gears and watching the rear wheels speed up. Contrast this with 8880 where you simply had to push the car along the ground and shifting gears just caused the engine to turn at different speeds. There is already a limited number of kids who can afford (or whose parents can afford) a model of this size, so the more they can do to make its play value attractive to these kids, the more of them they will sell.

My two cents.

Although I agree with you, I still find it quite sad that LEGO is changing it modus operandi so to speak for Technic sets from modelling real life machinery to what is effectively DIY toys in my opinion (the 8275 really falls into this category in my opinion, the gear train was so simple...). That said there is still a decent level of mechanical complexity in some of the newer sets with the 8043 and 8258 springing to mind so not all hope is lost in teaching kids a bit of mechanics in the process.

I loved the 8880 set for the very reason it held pretty close to modelling a real car, and I would be about 10 at the time of release. The only let down in my honest opinion was the chain driven engine/geartrain but apart from that is was close to perfect for my taste. In fact it was this very reason (modelling real life) that made my Dad purchase me technic sets, starting with the 8044 set (to teach me pneumatics/levers). That's another thing that I think is sadly missing, universal sets.

Alot has been said about gearboxes that change gear ratios vs gearboxes that change functions. But we have not yet had a gearbox that works like the real thing, with different sized synchro gears all in a line. And we have yet to have a proper motorised car with a gearbox (8448 doesn't count because of the poor design of the gearbox it can't handle the strain and so has to have it's rear wheels off the ground). That's what I would like to see. A proper 4x4 supercar with a proper, more accurate gearbox that is motorised. If it must be remore controlled then give it a sequencial gearbox. That to me (and I suspect also to the target age group) would be far more exiting than motorised doors and hood (how many cars have that pointless feature anyway!).

What would the functions of the B-model be? Also opening doors (and trunk)?

It looks good though, and so does the A-model.

Thanks for the the piccies JunglistJoey! How many pieces is there?

I have spotted - One M motor, one battery box, looks like quite a few worm gears and 16 tooth gears. Surely there is some driving rings somewhere?

100 quid?! F%$K THAT!

That was my thinking :laugh:, unless it has a really good inventory I'm not going to bother.

My local argos has it in stock, but £100? Ouch :wacko::hmpf_bad:. At that price I will wait for the peeron inventory too see if its worth that for parts I may use.

My local Argos has 2 in stock, I checked when I was instore earlier this morning, but I agree that the price is steep, so I didn't buy one. :sceptic:

~buddy~

I cant find how many pieces there are!

I counted 18 fairing pieces, 4 shocks, 1 clutch gear all the expensive parts?

Hmm there is usually an inventory on the last pages of the the last book these days (something I never understood why lego did not do all the time, apart from some basic sets in the early 90s I have)

My local Argos has 2 in stock, I checked when I was instore earlier this morning, but I agree that the price is steep, so I didn't buy one. :sceptic:

~buddy~

I guess I will wait for the sales :laugh:, i got my 8275 and 8043 that way :thumbup:. I paid under 70 for the bulldozer... I think it was like £65 or something.

1290 pieces!

That many? I didn't realise that. OK maybe 100 quid isn't that bad for that piece count and a motor, but still a small/medium flagship piece count with a small/medium flagship price for what is not a flagship in anyway? I dunno.

Just started building mine. Some very intresting pieces. I have not seen them before anyway

4x

IMG_0253.jpg

4x

IMG_0254.jpg

8x

IMG_0251.jpg

2x

IMG_0252.jpg

That last part seems new

could you please please please post the parts list (a scan of the instruction booklet)???

many thanks!<BR><BR>hopefully we get sharper scans to read the parts amounts

Edited by merman

It's very cool to see that somebody have still the new supercar. Where do you find it?

I wait for building photos :D

Wow! I thought this wasn't being released until late next month?!? :wacko:

Nice to see that TLC company is finally packing the instructions and stickers better so that they do not get damaged. This was a common problem with most of the previous sets since Lego had gone the cheaper route with packaging.

The only new piece that I see is that one that you posted in that 4th picture. I don't recognize that one. Everything else looks like parts that are already out.

I also notice that there are 4 CV Joints??? But the car is 2 wheel drive? That new piece must work with a CV Joint in some way.