Sign in to follow this  
Superkalle

IMPORTANT - Removed bricks in 4.0

I've done some analysis on the brick content of brickset 114.5 (used in LDD3) and the new 287 in LDD 4, and have found that the following bricks have been removed in the new LDD. This means that if you open a LDD3 model with those parts in it, you will get the dreaded "X bricks could not be loaded and will be been removed" error and the bricks will simply be deleted from your model.

The good news, is that there are new substitute parts available.

I'm thinking about adding a feature in LDD Manager that parses a LDD3 file and if it finds an outdated part number, replaces and outputs it as a LDD4 file. In the meantime, if you want to do it manually, you can open the LXF-file and do a simple Search & Replace.

Below is the list of bricks that have been removed, with new and corresponding Part-numbers in LDD4. You can also download this list, as well as an extended list, as excel file.

UPDATE Nov 18: Updated mapping information from TLG

BricksRemovedInLDD4_UPDATE.xls

That could possibly be the best feature yet! I hope you can get it to work.

Otherwise searching through my models manually will be a pain so great I might explode :tongue:

That could possibly be the best feature yet! I hope you can get it to work.

Otherwise searching through my models manually will be a pain so great I might explode :tongue:

Well, in all honesty, the problem will hopefully not happen in too often, as only the models containing the removed bricks will give you a warning. So the best way to identify a model with deleted bricks is just to open it, and see if the error occurs. If not, you're set to go.

well, I already have a problem :tongue:

I opened one of my bigger models and it removed 56 bricks (placed incorrectly, though they worked in the previous version). Is that the same, or would it have a different sign pop up if the bricks could not be loaded? And is it capable of having 2 signs pop up, one for incorrect placement, the other for pieces not loaded?

well, I already have a problem :tongue:

I opened one of my bigger models and it removed 56 bricks (placed incorrectly, though they worked in the previous version). Is that the same, or would it have a different sign pop up if the bricks could not be loaded? And is it capable of having 2 signs pop up, one for incorrect placement, the other for pieces not loaded?

No, if you get the message "placed incorrectly", it may be because the bricks actually are. I was told the precision of the bricks have been increased in 4.0, so some conection tolerances that were OK before, may not be anymore. Also, it may be that some connectivity has been shaped up. And yes, there should be two different pop-ups for "not placed correctly" and "brick not available".

It seems brick 4737 has been removed!

I opened my polaris lab in order to fix flexible hoses issue and...

Sigh.. I never will be a complete polaris lab! :sad:

I hoped that they wouldn't remove any more bricks.

Just for the loading older models without error messages

I agree.

The bricks that have been removed are often "duplicates" such as the Motorcycle Fairing which in LDD 3 existed in two seemingly identical version, but with different DesignID's. One of those are still in LDD4, the other one is gone. Russian Rolette which you used in LDD3 :tongue:

It seems brick 4737 has been removed!

After further investigations :tongue: I can confirm brick 4737 is missing.

So... there are missing bricks other than those listed above!!

@Superkalle: can you realize a lxf file (and a screenshot) with all LDD3 brick missing in LDD4?

It would be very useful to understand what we lost with this new release!

However I don't understand the removal of bricks that was perfectly working!

Bah... :sceptic:

So... there are missing bricks other than those listed above!!

@Superkalle: can you realize a lxf file (and a screenshot) with all LDD3 brick missing in LDD4?

It would be very useful to understand what we lost with this new release!

You have to download the excel file to see all the files removed. The list in the post are only the parts that have a counterpart. But I will post the additinal parts here too.

I could fix a screenshot of all the removed bricks, but then I have to re-install LDD 3, and who wants to do that :classic:

4737 Lattice Corner 1x4x6

4741 Frame Right/inv. 1x4x6

6080 Dragon Ornament

33052 Imitation Jewellery

45173 Shell 3x12w/bow/angle R, Metal

47577 Coat Of Mail

57878 Train Wheel Ø16.6/Ø23

58843 Slide Ø15.83 - 55.78mm

58844 Small Alien, Body

58845 Small Alien, Leg

59577 Shell 2 (3x5x3) 2007

60108 Dragon's Head Top

61638 Dragon's Head Top, 2 W. Armour

61639 Dragon`s Head, 2 "no. 1"

61988 Nxt, Assambled

62606 Shark 8x16

63153 Foot/claw 3x9x3, 08

88701 Visor W. Protec. Fr. Drum Laqu

I could fix a screenshot of all the removed bricks, but then I have to re-install LDD 3, and who wants to do that :classic:

Still have my portable version of LDD3 (do you want? :p ).

So, if you prepare the lxf file with LDD Manager, I could generate the screenshot.

Still have my portable version of LDD3 (do you want? :p ).

So, if you prepare the lxf file with LDD Manager, I could generate the screenshot.

Fair deal - find it attached.

And please note that it contains all the removed bricks, and that about 15 of them have counterparts in LDD4, and 15 do not (according to my best judgement)

GeneratedLDDFile.zip

I've a warning: two bricks not place correctly and removed from the scene! :wacko:

That's strange: bricks was well spaced each other!

I've a warning: two bricks not place correctly and removed from the scene! :wacko:

That's strange: bricks was well spaced each other!

OK, post the screenshot and I can deduce which ones are missing.

Here is the screenshot!

ldd4missingbricks.th.png

Many important brick missing... I'm asking myself why...

Edited by Calabar

Here is the screenshot!

Many important brick missing... I'm asking myself why...

Not that many actually. Of the 28 parts in the screenshot 13 have new identical corresponding parts in LDD4. This happens because sometimes TLG updates with a new DesignID (mold) that is identical to the old parts. The only difference may be different injection inlets for the plastic (or something like that) or other minute design change.

That leaves us 15 parts. Of those, 10 are IMHO useless anyway, like the Alien stuff from Mars Mission, Dinosaur parts, shark body etc. One parts (the train wheel) is now integrated in a complete assembly. So in the end, only two bricks that have been removed that are of any practical use (Of course, this is my subjective opinion :blush:)

Those two are:

4737 Lattice Corner 1x4x6 and

Can we post an install file for 3.1? I'd hate to lose that shark. I've used it a few times in Brick and planned to use it again for Monday... The small shark isn't as good.

Not that many actually. Of the 28 parts in the screenshot 13 have new identical corresponding parts in LDD4. This happens because sometimes TLG updates with a new DesignID (mold) that is identical to the old parts. The only difference may be different injection inlets for the plastic (or something like that) or other minute design change.

That leaves us 15 parts. Of those, 10 are IMHO useless anyway, like the Alien stuff from Mars Mission, Dinosaur parts, shark body etc. One parts (the train wheel) is now integrated in a complete assembly. So in the end, only two bricks that have been removed that are of any practical use (Of course, this is my subjective opinion :blush:)

Those two are:

4737 Lattice Corner 1x4x6 and

Several of those are actually integrated with complete assemblies-- for instance, the shark body is now integrated with the previously-uncategorized head as an actual complete shark. Which I don't mind at all; while opinions vary on the new shark's quality it has a lot more connection points-- thus, actually building with it is both more possible and (for some sets) more necessary.

Other parts which are now integrated in assemblies are the three miscellaneous parts (not dinosaur parts, in fact) for the armored dragon head. The complete head save for the lower jaw is now one piece. This makes it possible for me to revise my model of the Castle Giant Chess Set (I started work on that today, but it may take a while given that's the largest set I've built and the one with the most errors). The assembled dragon head is a lot easier to paint-- its joint, main "skin", armor, and teeth can all be painted separate colors. And since the various sections available before could not actually be integrated together, it makes the armored dragon actually possible to build.

Several of those are actually integrated with complete assemblies-- for instance, the shark body is now integrated with the previously-uncategorized head as an actual complete shark. Which I don't mind at all; while opinions vary on the new shark's quality it has a lot more connection points-- thus, actually building with it is both more possible and (for some sets) more necessary.

Other parts which are now integrated in assemblies are the three miscellaneous parts (not dinosaur parts, in fact) for the armored dragon head. The complete head save for the lower jaw is now one piece. This makes it possible for me to revise my model of the Castle Giant Chess Set (I started work on that today, but it may take a while given that's the largest set I've built and the one with the most errors). The assembled dragon head is a lot easier to paint-- its joint, main "skin", armor, and teeth can all be painted separate colors. And since the various sections available before could not actually be integrated together, it makes the armored dragon actually possible to build.

Thanks for clarifying that Aanchir.

@Calabar, here is a pic:

post-4755-128838612587.png

LDD4 should have a build in routine which replaces the old design numbers with the new ones, instead of just delete them.

This would solve a lot of problems and frustrations

It would be useful if LDD would place conflicting bricks sideways instead then delete that.

About deleted bricks, can anyone create a table with images with all informations, such as "the brick has been replaced with... (differences: ...)", "the brick has been incuded in... (advantage/limits of the new version: ...)", "the brick has not been replaced".

LDD4 should have a build in routine which replaces the old design numbers with the new ones, instead of just delete them.

This would solve a lot of problems and frustrations

I'm just putting the finishing touches on a feature in LDD Manager that will do the search and replace. But I agree, it would have been so much nicer to have it in LDD4 itself.

I found that they didn't remove my shark, they just removed the individual parts and added it as a single part.