mrplease

2011 Kingdoms + US prices

Indeed, they have done as we have asked, and it makes sense, considering AFOL's probably generate a good chunk of Lego's revenue. (I mean honestly someone should do a survey, what with buying multiple sets and spending hundreds to thousands of dollars a year on Lego)

Make me think we should start a petition and a voting thread for what we would like to see next wave. :wink:

Well I would want army building type sets. Like a chess or tic tac toe set. Or more battlepacks (and not discontinue them so quick). Or cheap small sets similar to the Knights Showdown, Prison Carriage Rescue, Escape from Dragon Prison. Even better something like the Good Knight from the 2007 Castle. It had two helmets and an armor piece! Or a cheap jousting set like The Final Joust with horse barding!

And of course a civilian battlepack type set. Medieval armies often had hordes of peasants dragged into battle. Plus there are battles where peasants armed with only pikes who slaughter charging enemy cavalry.

Edited by lego40k

And of course a civilian battlepack type set. Medieval armies often had hordes of peasants dragged into battle. Plus there are battles where peasants armed with only pikes who slaughter charging enemy cavalry.

Quite often it was he other way around, especially when peasants started complaining about food shortages. I see your point though, and it would be a good thing to see pages and peasants running around trying to help on the battle field, but I think as far as LEGO is concerned, peasants = civilian life, and war = soldiers/knights/all the rest.With that in mind a "battle pack" of peasants is unlikely.

Indeed, they have done as we have asked, and it makes sense, considering AFOL's probably generate a good chunk of Lego's revenue. (I mean honestly someone should do a survey, what with buying multiple sets and spending hundreds to thousands of dollars a year on Lego)

Make me think we should start a petition and a voting thread for what we would like to see next wave. :wink:

While not a poll, there is a thread for ideas about future sets. It links to a similar thread from last year and I believe if you look through that thread a couple of suggestions may jump out as being fairly similar to what we are getting this year (though it could be a pure coincidence).

As for how many I will buy of what, I'm leaning towards the following with adjustments made for the budget as necessary: 2-4 Village Raids, 1 Carriage (more if I find a use for them), at least 6 Prisons, at least 6 Blacksmiths. I will buy a few of these at retail, then when the fall sales hit (like buy 2 get 1 free at TRU) I will buy lots and lots.

Forgive my repeating what others may have said.

I recall a time on this forum when we asked for more "farm" like animals, more villages and people of the kingdom. Well what a surprise to find they listened and supplied! We have cows, chickens, goats, sheep, pigs, villagers the list goes on. We see a return to the classic buildings of the past like a blacksmith and a gate/jail set even a call back to the old carriges.

The following is my opinion, I only share it out of person view not any detailed anaylsis.

Pros

Farm settings

Medieval Minifig Civilians

Return to what works mixed with the risky new

Cons

New design sword and axe >as seen in blacksmith< Contraversial of me but I am a grumpy old man today :p

Set to buy.

Speaking as an AFOL I would most likely invest in the Mill Village Attack then Escape from Dragons Prison for the horse barding <3

In view of future... I would love the Dragons base to be like the Black Knights Castle (not Monarchs Castle) but from the "wooden-ness" of the wall it is unlikely. Will be interesting to see what a large Dragon base will look like when/if released.

All round a nice little release, I always have prefered the human vs human days of castle. I look forward to more from the series.

Keep in mind that the new weapons in the blacksmith shop are from the Heroica theme, which is a subset of LEGO Games and is not a mainstream theme like Kingdoms. The weapons themselves aren't designed specifically for minifigures, and certainly aren't replacing their minifigure counterparts (any more than the angular Knights' Kingdom sword design replaced the sword pieces that came beforehand, which we're still seeing today).

The reason they were added to the Blacksmith Attack set was probably just to give him a large and somewhat exclusive variety of weapons-- after all, they're smaller than regular minifigure weapons for the most part, and for all we know they might come off a sprue like older plumes and minifigure hand tools. And it looks like as a marketing move, it worked-- a lot of people on Flickr were very excited about the variety of new weapons in that set, and implied that it was in fact one of the set's main selling points for them.

I'm not too fond of those weapon designs either-- there's nothing wrong with them, but I don't see a particular need for them in mainstream sets. In Heroica, of course, they obviously do something regular minifig weapons often can't do: they fit securely inside a stud with a 3.2 mm hole, like a 1x2 or 2x2 jumper plate. Since microfigs don't have hands to hold them with, this may be an essential attribute.

Topic is 2011 Kingdoms. 3rd wave won't be 2011, so apparently now you're off topic. Besides, "a jousting tournament set would be superb" sounds a bit like a wishlist to me? :wacko::laugh:

:laugh: Guess your right. I guess I was kinda being a hypocrite. :grin:

Anyway, I really like that new face (I think it's new) of the mounted dragon knight in 7187.

Do you think it may be a dubble face head? One side the gruff one from the grogall picture...otherside the happy one from the fbtb photo. Tell me what you think.

If we're going to see more variation in the weaponry, I wouldn't mind seeing more of a cultural connotation with each faction and the weapons they use. For example, let's say that in all new Dragon Knights sets there was a new sword, something with a different cross guard or perhaps a serrated blade, something that was unique to just that particular faction. I guess I already try to do it to some degree with mine, reserving the large and elaborate halberds for the Crownies, and using only the axe-blade polearms for the old Dragon knights. It implies a certain culture for each faction, more so than just a coat of arms or specific colors could.

RE: New Weapons, I like them. I think they will add a nice level of variety. I intend to get quite a few of the blacksmith set so I will have enough to go around. I like the regular swords we have had for decades, but I like a little variety. At least to me, these don't seem as out of proportion as the troll swords or the giant, shiny broadsword.

Thank you very much for these high-res pictures, grogall! :classic:

These sets look completely amazing! :wub: :wub: :wub:

An additional comment (on everything other I already commented):

I really like that TLG included one of these PotC bottles in the carriage and one golden tumbler! :thumbup:

Klaus-Dieter

Quite often it was he other way around, especially when peasants started complaining about food shortages. I see your point though, and it would be a good thing to see pages and peasants running around trying to help on the battle field, but I think as far as LEGO is concerned, peasants = civilian life, and war = soldiers/knights/all the rest.With that in mind a "battle pack" of peasants is unlikely.

I am probably biased from all those Total War games I played where half of the armies are pretty much peasants/peasant militia. I imagine that during feudalism, knights and nobility were outnumbered by the lower classes both in population and military? And of course the peasant troops were poorly trained and had garbage equipment. And armored knights was the premiere military power. Until they created pikes and muskets, and then armor became obsolete and poor peasants would not need a lifetime of training or lots of money in order to field themselves and defend against heavily armored knights.

I was thinking about the Dragon Prison set again. If you use prices from bricklink, its a bargain really.

Horse Barding - 5USD after the set is discontinued (not sure if it will be cheaper while still in production), since all the other Horse Barding are around 5USD each.

Horse - 1USD

Dragon Knight - 4-5USD since it has a new armor piece.

Other 3 Minifigs - 9USD (3USD each)

Going by bricklink prices, the remaining bricks and weapons are basically free.

An additional comment (on everything other I already commented):

I really like that TLG included one of these PotC bottles in the carriage and one golden tumbler! :thumbup:

Klaus-Dieter

I also greatly appreciate this, I love how they throw in new parts to different themes. Before I didn't think it was very common (?) Especially licensed sets but as with the Indiana Jones shoulder bag piece, which had other very useful applications, so does the "grog" bottle. :wub: It is a beautiful new part, and I really like it, I wonder if they will do it in other trans colors or even earthenware colors.

Oh yeah what is the golden tumbler? (goblet?)

I understand putting the knight in the set to entice buyers to buy the set but.......bad.. business for AFOLs

For AFOLS, we want smaller knight sets so we can buy HORDES of them.

Put the knight on a horse, sell it for 6.99, and watch me buy it all out.

I don't want to buy a whole 20-30 dollar set for one knight on a horse T.T and I won't.

yeah, but the detail you forgot is that lego is still a toy and mainly built for children, not AFOL's. :wink:

The other way of looking at is one knight but tons of castle building material of different shapes and sizes.....colours and tones too !

Though I do see the point, but Lego do release BP's for the castle/kingdoms themes on and off...hard to get in Oz though ! :wink:

I understand putting the knight in the set to entice buyers to buy the set but.......bad.. business for AFOLs

I don't want to buy a whole 20-30 dollar set for one knight on a horse T.T and I won't.

That's true but if AFOL's had their way, bricklink would be a LEGO-run site with unlimited quantities of old and new pieces and set low prices. :wink:

The hardship and search for parts is part of the thrill, what can I say. :laugh:

It is too bad they did not remake The Final Joust. I looked at brickset, and they only make a Jousting set like once every 7 years. =(.

I've kind of embraced the idea of having a smaller handful of mounted knights for each faction, and specifically one de facto knight who essentially becomes the champion of his faction. As it stands, every one of my factions has its champion except for the Dragon Knights, so this is a perfect fit for me, personally.

That is, if you don't count the evil vampire dragon knight I put together with a little help from the Series 2 vampire, complete with his skeleton horse mount.

I've kind of embraced the idea of having a smaller handful of mounted knights for each faction, and specifically one de facto knight who essentially becomes the champion of his faction. As it stands, every one of my factions has its champion except for the Dragon Knights, so this is a perfect fit for me, personally.

That is, if you don't count the evil vampire dragon knight I put together with a little help from the Series 2 vampire, complete with his skeleton horse mount.

Well you have to, if you wanted to field a unit of armored cavalry you would have to spend like $100+ to buy more than a handful. (Going by bricklink around 5 for horse barding, 1 for horse, 3 for minifig, that's $9 per armored cavalry, suddenly the 20 dollar set does not seem that expensive).

I think I want to get multiple Blacksmith Attacks now. And I will use the blacksmiths to make peasant soldiers. It would be nice to make some peasant troops with hoods or pilot helmets to serve as leather headgear. Not sure what to use for wooden shields (I guess brown tiles or plates?)

Edited by lego40k

Keep in mind that the new weapons in the blacksmith shop are from the Heroica theme, which is a subset of LEGO Games and is not a mainstream theme like Kingdoms. The weapons themselves aren't designed specifically for minifigures, and certainly aren't replacing their minifigure counterparts (any more than the angular Knights' Kingdom sword design replaced the sword pieces that came beforehand, which we're still seeing today).

The reason they were added to the Blacksmith Attack set was probably just to give him a large and somewhat exclusive variety of weapons-- after all, they're smaller than regular minifigure weapons for the most part, and for all we know they might come off a sprue like older plumes and minifigure hand tools. And it looks like as a marketing move, it worked-- a lot of people on Flickr were very excited about the variety of new weapons in that set, and implied that it was in fact one of the set's main selling points for them.

I'm not too fond of those weapon designs either-- there's nothing wrong with them, but I don't see a particular need for them in mainstream sets. In Heroica, of course, they obviously do something regular minifig weapons often can't do: they fit securely inside a stud with a 3.2 mm hole, like a 1x2 or 2x2 jumper plate. Since microfigs don't have hands to hold them with, this may be an essential attribute.

Ahh, see I have been out of touch quite a lot with LEGO as of late and other than my main themes have not kept my finger on the pulse. My personal opinion of the weapons is same as yours, they don't look all that fitting in a mainstream set. My main "old man issue" with it was that I recently sorted my collection. It is depressing looking at all the different weapons, colours and styles across the many ranges of sub-themes. A part of me wants to stand my classic castle LEGO mini-figures next to my Kingdom mini-figures and they look like they belong together. I do however value other peoples joy in variety they deserve happiness. I'll just have to invest in more "uniform" weaponry to outfit my men with. Cheers for the information about the pieces though, I found it very interesting!

Oh my god! Your back Peggy! Great to see you back in the History boards mate :thumbup: Hope this means we will see some MOC's from you soon too. BTW I run this part of town now :devil:

Cheers

ISC.

I'm looking forward to all these sets!! The new weapons in blacksmith attack are simply amazing, the new dragon night is great and the mill village raid is ASTOUNDING!!!! My only concern is that the king's carrige may not fit through the king's castle drawbride/gate.

My only concern is that the king's carrige may not fit through the king's castle drawbride/gate.

Good point and a distinct possibility. The carriage is a 6 wide construction but the wheels extend out another full stud atleast on each side. It might fit through the gate but the wheels will definately have to ride up on the side supports of the drawbridge! Perhaps it would be best if the King just got out and walked in the castle? :wink:

As for the discussion of the dragon knight with the barding. I understand people wanting many multiples of that piece. I do too. I for one am glad that it was not put into a $50 or $100 set like the lions barding was. Worse yet the best barding (IMHO the silver barding) from the dragon prison is in a set that has 365 parts for $50. Not the best bang for your buck in the first place. Also the black panels included in it are pretty useless to me. I don't really build black castles.

I will get many multiples of the dragon knights barding when it comes out. As for the lion knights barding... I'm just gonna keep hoping for a jousting set and hope the silver barding is the one they include in it and hope it isn't too expensive. That is a lot of hoping! :look:

Good point and a distinct possibility. The carriage is a 6 wide construction but the wheels extend out another full stud atleast on each side.

Look closely again at Grogall's pics. The upper part is also 8-stud wide. It looks quite tall as well, so it's probably not going to fit.

I thought about the Blacmsith Attack set some more and I think I will get a few copies of it to get extra blacksmiths to make peasant spearmen. And then make use of the extra armor and weapons.

About the blacksmith set, the weapons being displayed are the current dark grey. Has anyone considered that they are this color because the blacksmith isn't finished.