jd5775

Building rituals

-Build Minifigs first, always.

-Usually can't find a piece and become determined that it wasn't packaged in the set by some sort of accident

(this has only ever been true twice)

-If they are numbered bags I always do it in the right order

-TV or something on background

-If the bag contains everything (Essentially impulse sets) I do a build in the bag!

I have a fairly simple process:

-wash hands

-pour bricks onto table in groups by baggie and sub-baggies

-see what strange mini MOC's I can make from the parts

-the actual build(if it's a smaller, multi-objects set, I save my favorite structure for last regardless of its place in the instructions)

-examine set; swoosh if applicable. default_tong.gif

Easy.

Clear a space on the floor.

Set up the now empty box in front of me.

Build figs.

Play with figs for 20 minutes.

Build.

Play different scenarios before adding other sets from the theme.

:classic:

There's somehow always a glass of Cola Vieux on the desk if I'm building a set...

These are my 6 steps -

1. Wash hands
  2. Open bags (all at the same time even if they are numbered)
  3. Mix all pieces together*
  4. Build (Get distracted half way through and maybe build another set for awhile or watch TV)
  5. Return to original build
  6. When finished building I have a play around with it default_tong.gif
  7. Show to the nearest person in the room

*If you mix all the pieces together the build experience may or may not become better (IMO)

I once suggested having all the lego logos on the studs facing the same direction, but she said I was nuts. Maybe I'll do it on the next set I do, just for fun.

I thought I was the only person who did that :blush:

I wash my hands too and sometimes during. My he ands get sweaty whether its summer or winter. More so during the summer.

For a while I tried to arrange bricks and plates so that the word Lego is facing one direction. As in the first plate reads lego, the second plate reads lego, and third plate reads lego. But I realized that was a complete waste of time and I just build them without looking at the word. As in now it might read lego, ogel, ogel, lego, etc.

I always drop the pieces because my desk is rather small but I never learn from my mistake and always have my hands near the edge of the desk which results in constantly dropping pieces.

Hi, I like peace and quiet with the telly on low in the background but sometimes I can't help that :sad:

1. Empty box make sure any loose bits and bigs are out.

2. Empty bags making sure no bricks are left in.

3. Follow instructions carefully and resist to whiz through it all and miss out some bricks.

4. Play with final product then write a review saying how awesome they are.

I always ALWAYS buy some sort of sour candy and soda when I buy a set. Then I usually mix all of the pieces together so it takes longer to build. Then once I'm done I take note of the design flaws, go into my room and mutate the set beyond recognition like I did with my space truck set. :laugh:

4497853221_b5dc31ac91.jpg

Sets I build at the dining table, not in the Lego room. I sort the parts into piles (by shape, not by color, just like in the Lego room). I won't eat döner with garlic sauce while building but I don't panic over a cup of coffee or unwashed hands, really. It's my four year old son who refuses to use dirty bricks, not me.

I like to watch TV or a movie while building a set. When I look at the sets I built over the years I can still remember exactly what show or movie I was watching while I was putting it together.

1. Open the box and take off every bag.

2. Destroy the bags and mix the parts for 5 seconds on a bed/table.

3. Start building.

4. PANIC when a part -seems to be lost

-(*)was never put in the box at the factory oh no I'll have to contact TLG and ask for a replacement part and the set won't be completed until days and days and...

5. Find the part under a bigger one.

6. Continue building.

7. Missing part: there isn't any 2x2 black plate to be found in the pile of parts!!! Oh my god I knew something was wrong with this set and...etc (See *).

8. Discover that it was actually a 2x2 dark gray plate.

9. Proceed to the examination of the set under every angle: "nice" "nice" "cool looking weapons!"

10. Show to girlfriend with a mix of ashamed/joyful attitude :"look at that isn't it cool? oh well it's just a toy, I'll give it to my cousin and oh look flick-fire missiles!! :grin:"

Yes, my rituals include a lot of panicking!

Yes, my rituals include a lot of panicking!

Lol, I have plenty of 'Missing Piece Alerts' too but they're always false alarms Lol. (Knock on wood).

As with others here, washing my hands is one of the first things I do when getting ready to build a set.

Washing your hands? :wacko: Well thats weird. Why you even need to do that? :look:

So you'd have clean hands? Some of us don't like to have grimy, dirty hands anyway even if we're not playing with our LEGO, and especially not if we are. What's so weird about that?

So you'd have clean hands? Some of us don't like to have grimy, dirty hands anyway even if we're not playing with our LEGO, and especially not if we are. What's so weird about that?

I was just wondering, because i dont wash my hands when i build whit my LEGO, because they are already clean (Well, so clean as possible whit water and soap). If they are dirty like at i can see them, (Such as: Ice cream and if my hands feel a bit sticky) then of course i also wash my hands before touching on my LEGO.

Captain Becker

PS: No need to quote my earlier reply, i already know why peapole wash their hands. :wink:

Washing hands, at least for me, before building, is a some kind of first step in a building ritual. Even if I washed hands 5 minutes ago. That first step means building can start.

Im glad im not the only one who used to confuse dark bley and black!

As for building ritual, it goes as follows.

Sort bags out into numbered groups.

Empty each set of numbered bags into a box.

Grab some chocolate out the fridge(at the moment Cadbury's mini eggs are my building snack of choice).

Turn on stereo and put on a Megadeth or Metallica play list.

Quickly turn to the end of instructions to see how many pages it has.

Build set.

Admire it for half hour.

Take it apart and put all pieces away in their specific boxes.

Then sit and wish I had another new set to build.

There is just something awesome about opening and building a brand new set. Building it again afterwards is never the same.

There is just something awesome about opening and building a brand new set. Building it again afterwards is never the same.

True! Maybe it's awesome because you don't know what do you have to do, what will the instructions say, instead of already knowing 5-10 (or more) steps when you build it again! :classic: I'm glad that i'm not the only one that thinks rebuilding set over and over again is not as fun as building it out of the box. :classic:

True! Maybe it's awesome because you don't know what do you have to do, what will the instructions say, instead of already knowing 5-10 (or more) steps when you build it again! :classic: I'm glad that i'm not the only one that thinks rebuilding set over and over again is not as fun as building it out of the box. :classic:

Yeah but saying that I'm currently rebuilding my castle collection from the 80's as I have got my collection back from my parents and I am sure I have a much bigger smile on my face during the builds this time around! And yes I can still remember some of the steps!

D

Yeah but saying that I'm currently rebuilding my castle collection from the 80's as I have got my collection back from my parents and I am sure I have a much bigger smile on my face during the builds this time around! And yes I can still remember some of the steps!

D

Yes, you're right, but they're old sets (you said you're building a collection not just 1 set) and it's always a bigger pleasure to remind how much fun you had building and playing with them. It just brings the memories back, right? :classic: It's a different feel when you rebuild a set from your childhood and when you rebuild a set from last month or so. :classic: