HJR-Holland

Review: 10212 Imperial Shuttle

Well, having worked in the production industry for 10 years, I know all about how difficult it is to get white plastics that are actually white.

More so how difficult it is to get white plastics thats durable.

It's all a bit complicated but has to do with the compositions of plastics. Generally yellow white is more durable than pure white plastics.

Durable pure white plastics costs more - so it might just be a cost saving issue.

I understand that. I know white LEGO is usually a little off-white. I did say supposed to be white; I'm not debating what they really are, just what they're intended to be.

Then again - the bricks very much might supposed to be cream.

I doubt that. I'm pretty sure that not all the bricks in this set are available in any of the white variants, most of which are colors for electronic pieces or themes like Belville and Clikits.

...still, I'm nearing the build completion - and despite the cream - my god this is a fantastic kit :sweet:

(Albeit a bit fragile. Definitely not recommended to be played with.)

Edited by loadinglevelone

Heh.. as the building progresses I've just found one single brick (part of the wings) thats clear bright white.

Unfortunately there are no spares, so I've had to use that brick.

Looks completely out of place amongst the other cream bricks. *huh*

Just sent in a request for replacement part. The wrong white 4156341 piece looks completely wrong on the model.

Also, i found a defect flat 3-stud, 362301, that was deformed on one corner. :(

Here's a pic of the right wing, showing the wrong white brick that was supplied

The brick is even semi-translucent, as one can vaguely make out the holes and studs going through it.

4156341-wing-brick.jpg

I collected vintage Star Wars figures for a couple of years and, during that time, rapidly developed an aversion to anything less than white. Stormtroopers & Biker Scouts had a nasty habit of turning various shades of cream or yellow, and I really struggled to find mint ones.

I was a bit disappointed to find that the shuttle was not pure-white, but perhaps I’m a bit strange to worry about such things! :wink: I put mine on display for a couple of days and then returned it to its box for safe keeping; it was the hardest set that I’ve ever dis-assembled....!

i would love this set but not for the $450 they want for it here!!

Here's a pic of the right wing, showing the wrong white brick that was supplied

The brick is even semi-translucent, as one can vaguely make out the holes and studs going through it.

4156341-wing-brick.jpg

WTF! *huh*

Are regular Lego white bricks from other sets you own the same shade of 'cream' in your image???

If so then you've nothing to worry about apart from the one piece, if not then the bricks in your 10212 set 'blow chunks' and that odd one out (ignoring any transparency/shot exposure/lighting issues) looks to be the right shade.

I can confirm for you that my shuttle set has the same 'white' as every other Lego set I own and any one of my individual pieces, at a cursory glance, look the same shade as your 'odd piece out' (except fortunately being opaque).

Any visible 'off white' characteristics are dependent purely on the lighting conditions...

Are regular Lego white bricks from other sets you own the same shade of 'cream' in your image???

No. Other white bricks i have are white, not cream.

The odd white brick is more translucent than my other white bricks. Clearly a defect brick.

(The transparency doesnt show as good in the picture as in RL.)

Any visible 'off white' characteristics are dependent purely on the lighting conditions...

True, all cream bricks shown in the picture are same shade of cream - besides the one ugly white duckling brick, of course ;)

The apparent shade-differences are purely due to lighting hitting at different angles.

I have received a confirmation form lego that they will replace the defect brick.

I just hope they send me a cream colored one instead of another pure white.

(unless they want to replace all the cream-colored instead of-course :))

No. Other white bricks i have are white, not cream...

...I have received a confirmation form lego that they will replace the defect brick.

I just hope they send me a cream colored one instead of another pure white.

(unless they want to replace all the cream-colored instead of-course :))

I think you have a case for all of them to be replaced! :hmpf_bad:

I think you have a case for all of them to be replaced! :hmpf_bad:

I would certainly be complaining about it. I had to go check my unopened set after looking at yours, and doesn't seem to be any issue with the colouring

HI everybody, after reading some of the posts here I thought I'd register and join in.

This was a fantastic set and I found it fun to build. I would say my bricks are only a little off white (say compared to photocopy paper), and uniformly so.

Has anybody else noticed the asymmetry of the roof, just below where the top 'wing' attaches? I initially thought I'd followed the instructions wrong but rechecked it and was accurate in my build. I've tried to find good pictures of the shuttle from other sources (wookieepedia and google) but none show that part in enough detail.

post-19007-131055641845.jpg

post-19007-131055642884.jpg

I was a little bit disappointed with the landing gear. Wouldn't it have been good to have retractable gear, like the Torrent, which lowers as the wings raise? Saying that, I don't see much need to remove it from the display stand as you can show off the wings in up or down posture.

Has anybody else noticed the asymmetry of the roof, just below where the top 'wing' attaches?

It's supposed to be that way i think. I've seen it in other models as well.

I've tried to find good pictures of the shuttle from other sources (wookieepedia and google) but none show that part in enough detail.

Right side

Left side

Of course, a difference of one plate's height is more or less negligible in a build this large...

Or were you looking for pictures of the set?

dsc06079.jpg

This was a fantastic set and I found it fun to build. I would say my bricks are only a little off white (say compared to photocopy paper), and uniformly so.

All white LEGO is off-white compared to photocopy paper. Doesn't sound like there's anything wrong with yours color-wise.

I worry about how well this set will hold up over time. All my old Legos have held up well, except for my white pieces which have stained slightly. It's hard to tell until you bring out a new white piece and then the old piece looks awful.

My old ones were mid 90s pieces, so I'm sure the protection of the plastic is better nowadays. Still though, in ten years I imagine this whole set as a huge stained ship...

Right side

Left side

Of course, a difference of one plate's height is more or less negligible in a build this large...

Or were you looking for pictures of the set?

---

No I was looking for a model or schematic or screenshot to justify why the thing was asymmetrical, just like the pictures you linked to. I agree, it isn't a big deal in a model so big, I was just curious why it was done.

From the pictures you linked to it looks like the original is symmetrical. It seems bizarre that LEGO added an extra 1x4 plate to the port side, beneath the 1x4 tile. The other discrepancy is at the front of the same section, once it has been attached. On the port side there is a 2x4 tile but on the starboard side they use a 1x4 L tile (or whatever you guys call that piece), except it doesn't have the jumpers like the two at the back to abut the wing.

I know that both of these niggles could be easily modified, and I a not complaining as such. I'm just curious why extra pieces have been added, I can understand detailing being left off? Overall, I think it is a great set and I have it proudly on display.

From the pictures you linked to it looks like the original is symmetrical. It seems bizarre that LEGO added an extra 1x4 plate to the port side, beneath the 1x4 tile. The other discrepancy is at the front of the same section, once it has been attached. On the port side there is a 2x4 tile but on the starboard side they use a 1x4 L tile (or whatever you guys call that piece), except it doesn't have the jumpers like the two at the back to abut the wing.

I know that both of these niggles could be easily modified, and I a not complaining as such. I'm just curious why extra pieces have been added, I can understand detailing being left off? Overall, I think it is a great set and I have it proudly on display.

It's all about Lego designer liberties with a build! On the one hand there is an attempt to get to the 'truth' of the subject matter. On the other there's room for adding a little artistic license to their work by creating those idiosyncrasies which individualize the final model. I'm all for it as it often makes the model just that little more interesting. Besides anything built from Lego can only ever be considered an 'abstract' of the original. If you get too caught up in accuracy and absolute precision in scale then you're probably overlooking the strength of the Lego 'medium' as a craft...

In the case of the Lego UCS Shuttle I understand the designers were given access to the original Star Wars model but I think you'll find they also relied on secondary sources such as the Kenner Toy Shuttle from the 1980's. The Star Wars Technical Commentaries feature an article on the Lambda-class Shuttles so called 'Dimorphism Booper' which has a lot of interesting things to say about Kenner's sculpt. Suffice to say you'll notice the 1x4 'L tile' was probably incorporated into 10212 as a consequence of this toy. Have a close look at its starboard side and you'll see what I mean... :classic:

It's all about Lego designer liberties with a build! On the one hand there is an attempt to get to the 'truth' of the subject matter. On the other there's room for adding a little artistic license to their work by creating those idiosyncrasies which individualize the final model. I'm all for it as it often makes the model just that little more interesting. Besides anything built from Lego can only ever be considered an 'abstract' of the original. If you get too caught up in accuracy and absolute precision in scale then you're probably overlooking the strength of the Lego 'medium' as a craft...

In the case of the Lego UCS Shuttle I understand the designers were given access to the original Star Wars model but I think you'll find they also relied on secondary sources such as the Kenner Toy Shuttle from the 1980's. The Star Wars Technical Commentaries feature an article on the Lambda-class Shuttles so called 'Dimorphism Booper' which has a lot of interesting things to say about Kenner's sculpt. Suffice to say you'll notice the 1x4 'L tile' was probably incorporated into 10212 as a consequence of this toy. Have a close look at its starboard side and you'll see what I mean... :classic:

Thankyou. That satisfies my curiosity. I'm not enough of a Star Wars fan to recognize all the details and sources for the models. Mostly I just admire the clever techniques used to make the LEGO versions and then have a recognizable craft.

Now I have to persuade my wife to let me buy the Super Star Destroyer, when it is released.

Now I have to persuade my wife to let me buy the Super Star Destroyer, when it is released.

no you don't just buy it!

Thankyou. That satisfies my curiosity. I'm not enough of a Star Wars fan to recognize all the details and sources for the models.

Don't belittle yourself guy, Aeroeza just likes to go above and beyond. :laugh:

no you don't just buy it!

:laugh:

Hi everybody.

Hope you can help me out here.

I'm about to buy this set from a private seller - the box has been opened, but all bags are still sealed. So that's all fine...

My concern is that I would like to be quite sure that ALL bags are there.

So... Can any of you guys inform me how many bags this set is holding - I tried to look on some pictures on the mighty internet, and counted 24 bags - but is that right?

Thanks a lot for any help... :classic:

/Autechre

I have this set but as of yet I haven't had the opportunity to build it. I have 24 bags in mine but since I haven't built it I can't be absolutely positive. I did buy it new directly from LEGO Shop@Home so I'd say it's correct.

Hi, I've just checked mine (bought directly from Lego) and it has 24 bags. It should also have 4 instruction manuals, and weigh about 4,007 grams including the box!! :wink:

It's good fun to build, and is really impressive. However, the top wing will flex and it's also rather interesting to dis-assemble! :look: I hope that this helps. Cheers, Robin