Hello everyone, I wander is it possible to build a whole big Lego City with roads, swimming pool, police-station, houses etc etc in LDD LU mode. That would be interesting :classic:

It's theoretically possible but would get very slow as the city got bigger. I've tried a few big models and small city layouts and the bigger they get the slower and more unstable LDD gets.

Try and see...

Cheers

Rog

small cities are ok. it all depends on your computer. But when you get to larger cities it will slow down no matter what. I've had to cut my city into 4 parts to get it to not crash.

As a word of advice, baseplates in LDD make things a lot slower, so try to avoid them if you are building a larger city.

As a word of advice, baseplates in LDD make things a lot slower, so try to avoid them if you are building a larger city.

The baseplate problem was reported to TLG some time ago, and I've been told that it's fixed in the next release. Nice.

How about this ;)

Very nice, very, very nice!

What's the performance like when you open/rotate the model?

I like how you used tiles to create the roads. So simple, yet I haven't seen that before. :thumbup:

I used to have a LDD city, but it crashed, and I lost everything :cry_sad: One thing to remember is to keep the buildings separated and keep baseplates to a minimum.

What about making one city from few smaller ones from different members? Just import them all, but you need a good processor (which i happen to have), so yeah, I can try if you guys upload your cityes!

Edited by Zblj

Sounds like a good idea! Once I build up my collections of modular buildings, I'll send them to you, if we are doing this :sweet:

I might be a little ahead of you on that (sort of). I haven't taken LDD buildings, but I've used other people's MOCs for "inspiration", and since it has taken so long I got lazy many times along the way and did more recreations of their MOCs using pictures.

I warn you ahead of time, keep it simple. If it gets too big or complex it will become such a pain. My city has fried my graphics card, and for those who know, I had a nvidia 8800 ultra.

But I think that would be an amazing idea to get a community LDD city put together! Make a topic for everyone to post their parts of the city in.

I think you should get some standardization for what size and piece count etc, but its up to you.

This sounds so cool!! I'm excited

I might be a little ahead of you on that (sort of). I haven't taken LDD buildings, but I've used other people's MOCs for "inspiration", and since it has taken so long I got lazy many times along the way and did more recreations of their MOCs using pictures.

I warn you ahead of time, keep it simple. If it gets too big or complex it will become such a pain. My city has fried my graphics card, and for those who know, I had a nvidia 8800 ultra.

But I think that would be an amazing idea to get a community LDD city put together! Make a topic for everyone to post their parts of the city in.

I think you should get some standardization for what size and piece count etc, but its up to you.

This sounds so cool!! I'm excited

Can you upload your city? I am sure my 9800Gt will take it :classic: even if its just and updated 8800

My city at the moment has 19426 bricks which includes the:

All 5 Modular Buildings

All 6 Creator Houses

A modded City Corner

Modded town plan includes (cinema, town hall, and octan station.)

It also has many cars in the streets

Do LDraw-related tools render faster than LDD?

I know there is a tool called LDBoxer which can significantly lessen the load on your computer and graphics hardware (at the price of quality if you're not careful).

Also, you might want to check out Datsville. It was a community project by members of LUGNET created in LDraw. No one has worked on it much in nearly a decade. Even on modern computers it takes a while to render.

Some screenshots taken in LDView:

I created the terrain seen in the first image in a heightfield program called Wilbur, then converted it to LDraw format using 3DWin. It still needs a lot of work. I need to smooth some of the creases as well as add stuff like foliage, river water, rocks, etc.

I am getting about 2 frames-per-second in LDview, so navigation/flying through the scene remains rather painful. I had to use LDBoxer (which I mentioned in my previous post) to get it to even render that fast!

I also created a few buildings for it, but I haven't added them to the city yet.

Edited by Dilvish

I think we'll have no problems with speed come the next update!

Where do you get this information from? That would be a pretty serious (and important) reworking of the software, I believe. :look:

I've done two neighbourhoods for my LDD comic and they get quite slow. Both are set in the future, one being an older one with classical buildings,the other one being a new block with a small military building.

This one is the new block, cotaining 8747 bricks. My computer cannot stand more but I am actually pretty impressed that he made that far ;-)

5836747429_b185dd94e8_b.jpg

city 1 von HMSCentaur auf Flickr

5837297100_f661ff9d65_b.jpg

city 2 von HMSCentaur auf Flickr

5836747903_4916f79f33_b.jpg

city 3 von HMSCentaur auf Flickr