I just realized that in the spinners Chopov, Bonezai, and Krazi don't come with headgears, like pictured on the cards that came with the spinner sets. I also hope they'd make a Samukai spinner set soon, or it would be unfair since he can hold a lot of weapons

The reason for all of those things might be the same: it appears that most spinner sets are designed to be spun both right-side-up and upside-down. Krazi's headgear in particular wouldn't allow for that, and neither would Samukai's pitched-forward head. Also, as you said, Samukai might be unfair to play given his greater size and versatility.

Nevertheless, I'm slightly disappointed that Samukai doesn't get a spinner (and that I can't make his own character card without finding a high-res version of his sexy sexy character art from the boxes and instructions). They could conceivably create a spinner for him with special action cards that bump him down a notch, perhaps by only allowing him one weapon at a time except by playing a particular card, that allows him two or three. I think given the other Skeleton Generals' spinners, his would be best with a medium lilac (dark purple) base and a trans-red or trans-orange top. His character card would also likely have 400 each Fire and Earth SP and 100 each Ice and Lighning SP, again based on the other generals. I don't know what weapons he would have; would he be better off with the three golden weapons he usually appears in sets with, or should those remain exclusive (in the spinner sets, at least) to their respective ninjas, in which case he needs brand new weapons? This is all speculation, of course, and unrealistic speculation given his allegedly reduced role in next year's Ninjago story

As a side note, Krazi doesn't come in a single set with both his headgear and his armor, which is a huge drawback.

This is all speculation' date=' of course, and unrealistic speculation given his allegedly reduced role in next year's Ninjago story[/quote']

As far as I remember, Samukai died at the end of the 2nd episode of the Ninjago: Masters of Spinjitzu cartoon...

As far as I remember, Samukai died at the end of the 2nd episode of the Ninjago: Masters of Spinjitzu cartoon...

But... but... he's a skeleton! He's already dead... or undead. Does this make him un-undead?

I never saw the cartoon. Oh well, I figured we wouldn't see him again, and now it's all but confirmed. Still a pity we never got a spinner, though

Another "interesting" 2011 Ninjago product I have never seen:

pTRUCA1-9996169dt.jpg

pTRUCA1-9996169_alternate1_dt.jpg

What the hell...TLG makes cases now? You image goin'to the streets with that?....no comments :hmpf_bad:

What the hell...TLG makes cases now? You image goin'to the streets with that?....no comments :hmpf_bad:

Actually, I doubt this is actually made by Lego. It's probably produced by a third party, like Lego Umbrellas, Stationary, Pens, etc.

I'm not into Ninjago for the spinners, although I understand why kids would like them, and maybe using one myself would change that... In any case, I can see how someone who was a big fan of the actual game of Ninjago would get good use of this. It reminds me of all the good fads I used to be a fan of: Pokémon, Yu-Gi-Oh, and Beyblade to name but a few.

I just realized that in the spinners Chopov, Bonezai, and Krazi don't come with headgears, like pictured on the cards that came with the spinner sets. I also hope they'd make a Samukai spinner set soon, or it would be unfair since he can hold a lot of weapons

Ummm... all of the chess sets released by LEGO had cases, not too different in appearance than that Ninjago one. Same with several of the Tic-Tac-Toe sets. Why is this so different, besides that it's an add-on to the main series sets rather than a fully-stocked Extended Line board game?

Similarly, Heroica now has an extended-line carrying case. As I see it, carrying cases like these for a product with an inherent "game" characteristic are extremely practical. They're not designed for AFOLs to use as briefcases, obviously, but frankly when you're a kid with games you enjoy playing with others on-the-go, a brand-name carrying case like this is a dream come true!

Extended line products have their own budget independent from regular sets, so the regular sets aren't suffering at all because of the non-set merchandise TLG happens to have on the market. Frankly, there's no reason these AFOLs should have any problems with these sorts of products.

By the way, I think Ninjago has been a huge success, as I see it. A huge number of kids loving the theme is the only way I can explain all the Ninjago birthday cakes I've been seeing. I had some LEGO-themed cakes in my childhood, but never as ambitious or professionally-created as this one, just to name an example. (It really spins!)

On a side-note, I recently discovered the Toys 'R' Us Hong Kong website for Ninjago. It's certainly very amusing, with lots of great content (even if most of it is just a simplification of the content from the main Ninjago website). Their "Downloads" section is a much easier place to find lots of great Ninjago content than the official site, which has downloadable content spread across several pages. Also, it's the first place I've been able to find the original (not DX) Zane and Cole wallpapers, which makes me happy since I had feared those were lost forever after the Ninjago site updated in April.

The most impressive thing I discovered, of course, was this huge downloadable Ninjago map poster. I was recently looking at this map in an instruction booklet and realized for the first time that the land of Ninjago is shaped like a dragon! I guess I was kind of slow figuring that out, but to be fair my family didn't own any Ninjago sets before Brickfair a couple weeks ago.

Edited by Aanchir

My son bought the Wyplash spinner set today and I think Lego did a good job there:

* he has his rice hat (the old spinners skeletons like Frackjaw & Krazi did not have the hat).

* a bag with an extra set of legs & arms!

* a flashy spinner

Looking at all skeletons Kruncha is the least cool, all the others are awesome in their own way.

But... but... he's a skeleton! He's already dead... or undead. Does this make him un-undead?

I never saw the cartoon. Oh well, I figured we wouldn't see him again, and now it's all but confirmed. Still a pity we never got a spinner, though

I mean, he kind of disappeared when he got hold of all the golden weapons. Lord Garmadon said Samukai was too weak to handle them all at once or something like that.

Just watched all the episodes on Youtube. I was underwhelmed at first-- the content was not much better than the first four Hero Factory TV episodes. So, in other words, good enough for me to enjoy, but not good enough that I could see myself enjoying a full cartoon series of it. The last half, though, was every bit as awesome as The Adventures of Clutch Powers, if not more, and I find myself anxiously looking forward to the TV series.

The music was one thing I liked tremendously. It reminded me of early BIONICLE music, with a blend of traditional and modern instruments and rhythms, but with a decidedly more Asian-inspired tone.

The animation was also excellent. I loved how the ninjas just took off and put on their masks in one quick motion! However, there was some serious uncanny valley going on with Sensei Wu's mouth... when it opened and closed, there was an actual hollow cavity rather than just a printed expression, and the few times you could see it clearly behind his beard it was rather jarring.

The dragons were awesome, even if they did need to give the Earth Dragon wings for the purposes of the script. It would have been cool if more LEGO elements like studs were visible on them (and on more of the locations and scenery), but there was still a great LEGO feel to the props, scenes, and characters. I suppose if every individual rock had studs it would begin to feel gimmicky and distracting. It was a bit of shame that building was never a core plot element like it was in Clutch Powers (or for that matter, in Hero Factory). Perhaps the TV series will make more jokes about the LEGO nature of this world from time to time, though.

When I first saw screenshots of the episodes, I was skeptical about how the Golden Weapons had been so radically changed, applying dragon motifs to all four and putting a lot more detail on them in general. But having seen it all the way through, I actually like that change, since it makes all the weapons as unique as the Dragon Sword of Fire rather than just being palette swaps of the plainer weapons that the skeletons and ninjas also used.

The skeleton baddies were stupid but amusing. It's a shame Wyplash wasn't featured, but I think one of the problems with the Hero Factory episodes is that too many characters get involved for them to all have great characterization. This and Clutch Powers share a cast structure of four main heroes, just a few supporting characters, three or four main baddies (two of whom serve as comic relief), and an army of enemy mooks. I assume that the TV series (and next year's sets) will demote Lord Garmadon to supporting character status with the likes of Nya and Sensei Wu, whereas Lloyd and the snakemen will replace his skeletons as the enemy faction. Although technically, a full TV series can probably support far more characters than a one- or two-hour TV miniseries.

I just brought the Blacksmith shop today. It's a great set but it's a shame that Kai isn't wearing his blacksmith clothes :sceptic:

Tommorow if I have any money left from buying the street corner and Heroica I might buy another Ninjago set :thumbup: (If I have any money left :blush: )

My twin brother noticed a rather glaring oversight in the 2011 Ninjago line a few days ago-- Jay DX has no character card! In my opinion this is an even bigger issue than Samukai not getting a spinner. After all, Jay DX actually comes with a spinner in one set (Skeleton Bowling), and all the other DX ninjas ended up getting character cards.

I suppose one of the reasons that Jay DX got the short end of the stick is that the only set that has his spinner is only available in a retailer exclusive set. But I consider this just another problem on top of the already-mentioned problem, not an excuse for it.

On a side note, my brother checked out the "Spinjitzu Smash" game on the Ninjago website the other day, and I was surprised to see that it's basically a clone of the MegaMan Battle Network video games. I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, it's kind of weird to see TLG so blatantly copying an existing video game's game mechanics. On the other hand, I'm thrilled at this prospect since I enjoyed the MegaMan Battle Network games a great deal growing up, and getting to play a LEGO game with such similar gameplay is a magnificent opportunity.

Anyone post this yet? Set 2521 Lightning Dragon Battle is now on Lego Shop. I think it looks awesome, it's very impressive. I don't know if the price tag fits or not; I'll have to see in-hand pictures of the set first.

Anyone post this yet? Set 2521 Lightning Dragon Battle is now on Lego Shop. I think it looks awesome, it's very impressive. I don't know if the price tag fits or not; I'll have to see in-hand pictures of the set first.

You can bet it's awesome.I can say that it really is my favorite Ninjago set yet.Why did they tackle on a helicopter though...why not a skeleptical dragon or hidra?

You can bet it's awesome.I can say that it really is my favorite Ninjago set yet.Why did they tackle on a helicopter though...why not a skeleptical dragon or hidra?

This is the way the whole Ninjago theme tends to work, at least this wave: the good guys (ninjas) get dragons, whereas the bad guys (skeletons) get rugged-looking modern vehicles with a skull motif. It establishes a nature-versus-technology (or perhaps tradition versus technology) motif to differentiate the two factions.

I do think a skeleton dragon would have been an awesome set, maybe as a retailer exclusive. Building one that's sturdy yet visibly skeletal-looking would be difficult, though, especially given how skeletal some aspects of the existing dragons (like the wings, claws, and feet) are already.

My siblings and I just built the Lightning Dragon Battle yesterday, and I have to say I love it. The skeleton helicopter (or as I affectionately call it, the skelecopter) is magnificently designed, even though the lower jaw's click-hinge makes it a little bit awkward IMO. It's the first skeleton vehicle I've built, and I'm very impressed with the evil-looking design.

The dragon itself is magnificent. He is by far the largest of the dragons, and seems to be a huge improvement on the dragon from the Fire Temple. I haven't gotten to compare his size with the other dragons, because we had to pack those up in their boxes due to the recent earthquake. But I think the fact that his wings still feel proportionate is a good sign. The claws on his wings in addition to his four legs really don't stand out as a problem in the actual set, even if they seemed a bit egregious in some pictures.

Jay DX is a cool minifigure, like all of the DX ninjas. My family already had General Kruncha and black-robes Sensei Wu from the Fire Temple set, but the extras don't hurt, and mean that we have an additional rice hat if we want to give Frakjaw the hat he's typically advertised with.

Kruncha's spinner is cool-looking and very colorful. Being my family's second spinner, I'd rather if it were a design as simple-looking and universal as Sensei Wu's in the Spinjitzu Dojo. But it's still a tasteful design that really suits Kruncha.

I just caught my first glimpse of the Lightning Dragon set... and I really have to admit, this theme is bizarrely appealing. :laugh:

I mean, skeleton helicopters?? What a strange idea. That said, though, it's actually a pretty nice looking set. I'm liking the direction they took with the Ninjago dragons, in general. The somewhat oddball price range will probably keep me from ever picking it up, but who knows - I'll probably give this theme another look.

Today there's a new video on the Ninjago website-- a mini-movie in the style of the TV episodes we've seen. Notably, this is the only one to include Wyplash, who was conspicuously absent from the other episodes. Additionally, we get to see some Jay/Nya ship tease, and we finally see Nya kicking some major butt.

The video is marked "#1", so I'm guessing there's more of these videos in the weeks to come. It certainly boosts my enthusiasm for the full TV series, since this video maintains the storytelling and animation quality of the miniseries/movie that had aired previously.

You know, I recognize the limitations of minifigure printing, but at the same time I think the Ninjago torsos would be awesome if as many of them had side printing, back printing, and top printing as do in the TV series. The DX ninjas look great with the dragon patterns continuing onto their sides, and Nya looks great with back printing. But at the same time, I guess these areas wouldn't be very visible on real figs anyway, given the enhanced posability of CGI minifigures.

Today there's a new video on the Ninjago website-- a mini-movie in the style of the TV episodes we've seen. Notably, this is the only one to include Wyplash, who was conspicuously absent from the other episodes. Additionally, we get to see some Jay/Nya ship tease, and we finally see Nya kicking some major butt.

The video is marked "#1", so I'm guessing there's more of these videos in the weeks to come. It certainly boosts my enthusiasm for the full TV series, since this video maintains the storytelling and animation quality of the miniseries/movie that had aired previously.

I also saw that video today, much by chance - and I loved it! I found it really entertaining watching Jay trying to talk to Nya and lik you said Aancir that its good to see Nya kicking come butt :laugh: ! Bring on more episodes!

Anothr point I would like to raise, is the the tie-in with Lego Universe for the update comming in the next few months - Although there is already some ningago content in LU at the moment, it isnt a whole world! - But apperently these enemies are different to what we have already seen. Some concept pics here. Of course this is a markeing scheme, but it may be really fun! I also wonder if 2012 ninjago will influence the game in anyway.

Thanks, CB - the LU addicted freak!

Interestingly enough, after doing some digging, I located another one of those style of videos on the Cartoon Network website.

On this page, you can view a humorous video where Nuckal and Kruncha attempt to steal the golden weapons. :laugh:

-Mesonak

If anyone's interested, I posted some preliminary Ninjago pictures here, as well as a link to a preliminary Ninjago video. There's some really interesting stuff there!

The newest September-October LEGO Club Magazine contains a Ninjago page with a QR code to access exclusive Ninjago content. Since not everyone has a smartphone, I am showing you what the content is. Here you go.

You know, I recognize the limitations of minifigure printing, but at the same time I think the Ninjago torsos would be awesome if as many of them had side printing, back printing, and top printing as do in the TV series. The DX ninjas look great with the dragon patterns continuing onto their sides, and Nya looks great with back printing. But at the same time, I guess these areas wouldn't be very visible on real figs anyway, given the enhanced posability of CGI minifigures.

That was very funny :laugh:

I see that Jay is represented as the 'comic relif' guy in Ninjago although the whole video was funny :grin:

Seems like the Garmadon spinner set is kinna hard to find eh.

I have seen Sensei Wu's in stores but not Garmadon's

Yesterday I bought the book of "Kai" for the kids. 48 pages, akin to the A5 format. Hardcover, full colour.

albeit the story is quite known the book adds to the story with small tidbits, I read 17 pages to them so far. It is nice they also have a page on the Kantana, its history and how it is made. Later on it gives mythological facts on the history of Dragons.

Nice.

Another new video. This one is pretty straightforward-- the four ninjas have a race on their dragons. But it's still pretty cool.

The effects in these episodes and mini-movies are a mixed bag. I love how shiny the dragon ninja suits are, but the Fire Dragon's fireball looks a little out of place.

Also, according to the latest LEGO Club Magazine, there will be six of these two-minute mini-movies, and they will be airing on Cartoon Network sometime this fall... not that this really matters if they're all going to be available online. I'm sure these might also make it onto a Ninjago DVD release as special features.