def

What are you reading?

No, I am not a football fan that much. Unseen Academicals was about football a lot. I am re-reading it so I can be up to date ready for Snuff, I love the Watch books. I will be re-reading them from Guards! Guards! onwards now that I have finished Unseen Academicals (might just skim Fifth Elephant though...)

:facepalm: I forgot UA was a stand alone book about football, for some reason I thought it was part of the Watch series (of which I'm now reading Thud!).

Have you read This? it takes place between the first two books.

Oh and whats wrong with Fifth Elephant I liked it :wacko:.

:facepalm: I forgot UA was a stand alone book about football, for some reason I thought it was part of the Watch series (of which I'm now reading Thud!).

Have you read This? it takes place between the first two books.

Oh and whats wrong with Fifth Elephant I liked it :wacko:.

Yep, read the short 'uns.

Now, Fifth Elephant... Well that is a long story...

When I first started to move from childhood reading to the realms of an interest that carries on until you croak (I used to read a lot of Enid Blyton, even had my own Secret Seven badge) I basicly read all around the SF and Fantasy section of the school Library (wonderful alcove that) having read a handful of Asimov and Bradbury at my Grandad's suggestion. Mark you, I was about 12 at the time. I had read throught the school's selection of Verne, Hienlein juviniles and then Anne McCaffery's SF books due to a recomendation of the librarian. Having exhausted the supply of Sci Fi I decided it was about time I moved onto the ones marked Fantasy I read all the Dragons of Pern books the library had and needed something new.

The Fifth Elephant was sat out on the side, and thinking something along the lines of "I did enjoy that Fifth Element film..". Well, Fifth Elephant is deep deep deep into Discworld. It is midway into a sub series, set in a place that has been mostly set up by other books with characters founded books and books ago...

To be blunt I was lost. It was hard enough to get past the artwork (at that age, gleaming towers and spaceships were more appealing to me) and I got fed up. Putting it down I decided to move off to the film books, after all, I did like those Star Wars films my friend Tom had lent me and there were books that carried on the story.(ah, the innocence of youth! If you didn't know, in the last ten years I have soured in my opinion. Prequels, expansion and my sisters star wars obsessed boyfriend put paid to all but transient interest in the films).

A few months later, having got lost in a quagmire of the incomplete Star Wars book series a new Discworld book was on display. There was a Skeleton, riding a motorcycle. It talked about Rock Music with a funny name! After that I was hooked, between the school library, the town library and my holiday money I read all the books. Attaining gainful employment I began collecting the lot. However I have never really enjoyed Fifth Elephant since. Oh, don't get me wrong, it is very good and well written but I still enjoy the others more than it :laugh:

Sorry. I did warn it was a long story.

Also it seems Guards! Guards! has either gone missing or my copy wasn't actually mine...

I'm about 3/4 of the way through Game of Thrones. I watched the HBO treatment and now I'm reading the book. Both are very good. The show got pretty much everything right, by the way. Only some minor differences and some inconsequential scenes dropped here and there. I look forward to reading the sequels too.

Like The Rest of you Discworld Fans..Im reading some discworld at the moment to be ready for Snuff..

I still need to read Thud too...May Buy it with Snuff when I pick it up,

I am reading Hogfather, By Terry Pratchett..

Well, I have just these past few days read Thud, Guards! Guards!, Men at Arms, Feet of Clay and Jingo. Not in that exact order and not with great application, more like skimming through all but Thud and Guards! Guards! as the first directly bears on the next as the previous book in the Watch series and the other as I haven't read it in a long time. Now I am on Fifth Elephant and next I will read Nightwatch. I might also fit Making Money into all of it. Then I have to go to Cardiff to get the book from Waterstones (For Doctor Who fans, that is the branch outside the department store that featured in Closing Time.) so I can maybe get whatever freebie is to do with this book.

Well, I have read all the Watch books, The Truth, Making Money and UA. I gave I Shall Wear Midnight a skim, focusing mainly on the parts in the city. I am ready for Snuff tomorrow!

Well, I have read all the Watch books, The Truth, Making Money and UA. I gave I Shall Wear Midnight a skim, focusing mainly on the parts in the city. I am ready for Snuff tomorrow!

Awesome.....I preorder Thud and Snuff....Now to wait for it to come..

I am ready for Snuff tomorrow!

Have you finished it yet :grin:? I need to order it but I dislike hardbacks, but cant wait for the paperback :cry_sad:.

I am reading Macbeth for school, but also The Tommyknockers by Steven King. The Tommyknockers is a bit below some of my favorites, but still is interesting.

Have you finished it yet :grin:? I need to order it but I dislike hardbacks, but cant wait for the paperback :cry_sad:.

Yes, by Friday afternoon. :laugh: I devour books.

As for the hardback/paperback. I like both. Hardback for new books as I can read them right away without waiting months on end for the paperback edition. I love old paperbacks, I have a coat that can fit a standard penguin paperback in all three pockets so I often buy Pan or Orbital books of SF. I collected only Hardbacks for one series of books, even going so far as buying the Canadian edition when the UK was paperback only and the US covers don't match...

Today I was reading JLA: The Nail, a classic.

THUD! By Terry Pratchett....I haven't read this one yet....and after it is done....I begin My Copy Of Snuff...

Thud! is great, it's one of the best ones TP has done.

I'm almost finished with Unseen Academicals (again), it's quite good but not the best.

Currently re-reading the Dragonlance books, well, nothing passed the twins trilogy. And reading the neverwinter series, i'm still a drizzt fan after all this time.

I just finished reading Beowulf. I really enjoyed it. I'm probably gonna re-read the Eragon books in anticipation for the fourth book, coming out on the eighth.

I recently came across a fascinating article concerning utopian novels. Literary studies never cease to intrigue me. :wub:

The only thing I'm reading right now is a 1000-word list for the SAT... :sigh:

Hang in there! :wink:

I'm probably gonna re-read the Eragon books in anticipation for the fourth book, coming out on the eighth.

Yeah, at last :sweet:.

Well, at least the 30 DW-books, I own.

30 *huh*, you lightweight :laugh:.

\the fourth book, coming out on the eighth.

Wait, that is coming out and I didn't know about it? Now I have to reread those books! Do you mean the 8th of November or December?

Wait, that is coming out and I didn't know about it? Now I have to reread those books! Do you mean the 8th of November or December?

November. So yeah, really soon. I can't wait to see how Paolini will tie up all the plots.

November. So yeah, really soon. I can't wait to see how Paolini will tie up all the plots.

So Could you see him starting a another series after The Inhertinace Cycle

Edited by Sam Vimes

Err, Today I bought a lot more books. Some more Harry Harrison for me, love his writing and a book by Terry Jones about the Saga of Erik the Viking, it is an illustrated younger reader's book, partly for me (lovely illustrations) partly for my brother who is massively into all the Viking things.

Oh, I know! I preordered my copy back in September.

Oh, I know! I preordered my copy back in September.

What? You can preorder? Now I really wish I had kept getting on the site. :cry_sad:

Does anyone know what the title is? Sorry, but I'm kinda low on info here. :sceptic: