Not really MOC but trying to build someone else's MOC.

Is BrickLink the cheapest way to get parts? I thought about grabbing new lego set and cannibalize it but wasn't sure.

I need to buy about 3000 parts because I don't have any spare parts (I have a little from 4 sets I bought so far but it's few). Thanks!

I think that BL is the best way for buying lots of parts for mocing.

If you know what parts you are going to use, then it is much better to buy parts then sets. Sets may be tempting, but at the end you will have lots of excess parts which you will not be able to use.

This works for me, for mocing.

I don't really do MOCs, but BrickLink is definitively the place to get parts if you know what you're looking for.

A few sets are good parts sources, though, and from my experience they're usually cheaper on eBay, although results there vary greatly. Some large but unpopular sets can be quite cheap :wink:

In case you are wondering, I am building one of Han's creation. I am not an expert or any (just got back into LEGO since 90s) to do decent MOC yet. haha

http://www.designer-han.nl/lego/prinoth%20leitwolf.htm

Pretty cool IMO and it's a big size (as big as 8258). I am not sure if 8258 is worth picking up for cannibalizing in case it becomes available.

I checked out the list of good BL vendors but their price seems to be higher than average, which is the reason why I asked. It doesn't really make much of a difference if you are buying small portion of it but if you are buying ~3000 parts, it does make some changes.

Back to BL. :p

Make a list of all the parts he uses. I believe it shows them in the MLCAD files he gives to you. Use you list assemble a wanted list on Bricklink, then go through stores trying to find the parts needed. If you have further questions about Bricklink, I'd suggest reading through this thread. If you're questions aren't answered, just post it and we'll try to help as best we can. :classic:

Make a list of all the parts he uses. I believe it shows them in the MLCAD files he gives to you. Use you list assemble a wanted list on Bricklink, then go through stores trying to find the parts needed. If you have further questions about Bricklink, I'd suggest reading through this thread. If you're questions aren't answered, just post it and we'll try to help as best we can. :classic:

didnt know about wanted list thing. i did go through all the list to see how much it will cost me to build. i will use that wanted method. thanks a lot!!! :thumbup:

In case you are wondering, I am building one of Han's creation. I am not an expert or any (just got back into LEGO since 90s) to do decent MOC yet. haha

http://www.designer-han.nl/lego/prinoth%20leitwolf.htm

For reference, I have also built this MOC using orders from Bricklink. Took me 17 different orders to get all of the parts. I got about 90% of them from one place, but picking up all the stragglers took forever.

For reference, I have also built this MOC using orders from Bricklink. Took me 17 different orders to get all of the parts. I got about 90% of them from one place, but picking up all the stragglers took forever.

yeap. i know you have one! :grin:

from what i've seen, you have all LEGOs that i want. :wink:

i noticed that Han's part list doesn't really match BL catalog part numbers. did you have to manually double cross check peeron and BL to order right parts? i am not familiar with part names and part numbers so it took me awhile to estimate the cost to build. :tongue:

yeap. i know you have one! :grin:

from what i've seen, you have all LEGOs that i want. :wink:

I noticed that Han's part list doesn't really match BL catalog part numbers. did you have to manually double cross check peeron and BL to order right parts? i am not familiar with part names and part numbers so it took me awhile to estimate the cost to build. :tongue:

At the time, I did it the hard way as you've just stated. Later, I found a better way. First, you can download the LDraw file of the model from Han's website. That's what I used to make this render. Then you can use some software called Brickstore to make a parts list. Import the LDraw file in Brickstore and you will have a list of all the parts you need with Bricklink average prices. Brickstore already knows the difference between LDraw parts and Bricklink parts. Then, best of all, Brickstore will export your list as an XML file which you can import directly into Bricklink as your wanted list. If you make a new wanted list just for this model, then Bricklink will already have a record of everything you need in one place. Finally, when you are on Bricklink looking at your wanted list, use the "By Shop" tab and it will show you which stores have the largest number of parts that you need. When you go to that shop, you can automatically add everything they have that is on your wanted list to your shopping cart.

If you do it this way, it's actually pretty quick. Comparatively at least.

One disclaimer is that if you have a very large number of parts on your wanted list (thousands), Bricklink can sometimes time out before it returns your "by shop" results. In this kind of case, I just start with a couple of huge Bricklink stores which I already know will have the majority of what I want. Look for stores with over a million parts, for example and very high feedback ratings.

For buying parts I actually found buying bulk sales on eBay to be usefull. I set up ebay to send me an email on "technic KG" - for kilograms of lego technic. You get quite a bit of junk but often get a good set of parts. Then sell the junk on bricklink

I have bought and sold on Bricklink but had issues with the stuff I was buying. Quite often I'd get emails back "sorry I can't find it" or "sorry we don't have that many". It's also a pain trying to find all the bits you need from as few suppliers as possible.

I gave up my Brickilink shop in the end due to receiving many orders for like 100 parts qty of one each which took 60 mins to pick and pack, and was only worth something like £5.

Hi !

I´ve got only one question, i tried to import the "Prinoth Leitwolf NT.mpd" in the Brickstore Software. But the Software returned with an error. What file i should import ? or can anybody send me the file list that i can import in the Brickstore Software.

Sorry for my poor english, but i´m from Austria ! :D

Btw. an excellent Forum ! I love it !

greets from Austria

Not really MOC but trying to build someone else's MOC.

Is BrickLink the cheapest way to get parts? I thought about grabbing new lego set and cannibalize it but wasn't sure.

I need to buy about 3000 parts because I don't have any spare parts (I have a little from 4 sets I bought so far but it's few). Thanks!

Why don't you just contact LEGOs Customer Service by phone, and order the parts (if they're still in stock)?

Another source for parts is Lego's Pick a Brick at the Lego Store or Shop@Home.

At the time, I did it the hard way as you've just stated. Later, I found a better way. First, you can download the LDraw file of the model from Han's website. That's what I used to make this render. Then you can use some software called Brickstore to make a parts list. Import the LDraw file in Brickstore and you will have a list of all the parts you need with Bricklink average prices. Brickstore already knows the difference between LDraw parts and Bricklink parts. Then, best of all, Brickstore will export your list as an XML file which you can import directly into Bricklink as your wanted list. If you make a new wanted list just for this model, then Bricklink will already have a record of everything you need in one place. Finally, when you are on Bricklink looking at your wanted list, use the "By Shop" tab and it will show you which stores have the largest number of parts that you need. When you go to that shop, you can automatically add everything they have that is on your wanted list to your shopping cart.

If you do it this way, it's actually pretty quick. Comparatively at least.

One disclaimer is that if you have a very large number of parts on your wanted list (thousands), Bricklink can sometimes time out before it returns your "by shop" results. In this kind of case, I just start with a couple of huge Bricklink stores which I already know will have the majority of what I want. Look for stores with over a million parts, for example and very high feedback ratings.

Brickstore can only import .bsx or .bti. Han's model file is in .mpd. I tried to export or save as .bsx or .bti (even the file extensions that you mentioned) and it won't let me. Another issue that I am having is that when I load Han's .mpd, MLCAD tells me some files are not found. I tried to "Scan Parts" under MLCAD to see if that helps anything but it doesn't.

Out of 300+ Excel cells, I've only gone through 50 of them and uploaded to BL, which took me quite awhile due to different part numbers, etc.

Others: I didn't know you can order parts directly from LEGO. Anyways, it's more expensive than BL so that's out of an option. Thank you for your help though. :sweet:

Yesterday i´ve asked the Lego customer Service to send me the bricks by sending the Excel list of the Han´s Website of the Snowgroomer.

That´s not possible by sending the Excel list. I must search every part in the online Catalog and different parts only until 10 parts.

It´s very difficult to get the parts at the Lego online store.

I also tried to import the *.mpd file in ldraw, but i recieved plenty of errors " file not found". We would find a differend way to get the bricks at short way.

edit: I

Edited by woanig

Brickstore can only import .bsx or .bti. Han's model file is in .mpd. I tried to export or save as .bsx or .bti (even the file extensions that you mentioned) and it won't let me. Another issue that I am having is that when I load Han's .mpd, MLCAD tells me some files are not found. I tried to "Scan Parts" under MLCAD to see if that helps anything but it doesn't.

Out of 300+ Excel cells, I've only gone through 50 of them and uploaded to BL, which took me quite awhile due to different part numbers, etc.

Others: I didn't know you can order parts directly from LEGO. Anyways, it's more expensive than BL so that's out of an option. Thank you for your help though. :sweet:

No, Brickstore imports mpd files directly just fine. I've done it loads of times. You don't have to do anything special first. "File / Import / LDraw model". Doing it manually via Excel will take forever.

The reason MLCAD says some files are not found is that some parts are unofficial and not included with the standard parts library. The best way around this is to download the LDView viewer. You can set it to automatically download any unofficial parts that you don't have from LDraw.org which speeds things up immensely. Then, to see the parts in MLCAD, you need to tell MLCAD to look in the unofficial parts directory. You can find instructions for doing this on hollywood.it .

You can't order the parts directly from LEGO. They only sell a small number of Technic parts and they are obscenely expensive.