Sign in to follow this  
Killerrabbit

Pricing of Imperial flagship 10210

I have been drooling over the Imperial Flagship for some time now, but according to Lego.com / european webshop the price is a whooping: 199,95 eur !!! (!!!)

According to brickset.com, its USD price is 179,99. if we again translate that to EUR, we get: ~ 124 EUR - a difference of 76 EUR (or ~110 USD)

And this is the same for almost everything on the lego homepage!

Am I missing a link in the picture here, or is the European lego made in pure gold?

Because its 61% more expensive than the USD price...

I have been drooling over the Imperial Flagship for some time now, but according to Lego.com / european webshop the price is a whooping: 199,95 eur !!! (!!!)

According to brickset.com, its USD price is 179,99. if we again translate that to EUR, we get: ~ 124 EUR - a difference of 76 EUR (or ~110 USD)

And this is the same for almost everything on the lego homepage!

Am I missing a link in the picture here, or is the European lego made in pure gold?

Because its 61% more expensive than the USD price...

Resistance is futile... :pir_laugh2:

Buy it from eBay from an american seller (wait a little so that the set is already quite common, but not too much or it goes out of production).

If you want, ask the seller to open the original box (but not the plastic bags) and ship everything in a smaller box: this may reduce the shipping cost and will make you avoid any import tax since the item is technically not "new" anymore but 2nd hand.

Edited by Legoist

Killerrabbit:

It's specifically the Finnish price that is off the wall in terms of acceptable pricing. The price for most European countries is a more reasonable €150.

I know how it feels as Ireland often has similar pricing to Finland on Lego Shop @ Home. Fortunately our local toy retailers here usually have more like the German S@H price or even cheaper, but this doesn't solve the issue for exclusives.

Maybe we need some regulation that multinationals can't price differently in different European Union member states, but this would be very restrictive and hard to implement. It might be possible for mail-order however (obviously you'd still have different delivery charges - probably even more skewed than at present).

Even within countries the same problem occurs at present. E.g. here in Ireland, many national chains absolutely fleece people in Dublin as the higher cost of living there allows them to "hide" higher prices. Even something like convenience stores, they often have higher prices for the same products depending on the outlet being in even a regional city, or just a local village.

Here in Ireland we also still have British chain stores that not only price way higher in Euros than Pounds (e.g. £1 = €1.50 rather than €1.10) but have the audacity to show just how much they are ripping us off as well (they leave the £ price on the price tags). We also have problems with Irish chains having to source European products from British distributors - so the manufacturers price "specially" in pounds for the UK, and then the UK distributors give us "Irish prices" in Euros, and if we are unlucky, there is a national distributor as well who takes a cut.

So Lego is but a small part of the huge irritation of pricing here in Ireland.

I notice Lego beancounters haven't decided on a reduction of prices for here in Ireland (for example, matching German prices) despite the recession, pay cuts all round, rising unemployment, and the retail price index falling (i.e. prices in shops are going down, and even prices for some services/utilities).

I hate to not sympathize with you, but welcome to what it feels like to be an American for a change. When I went on my honeymoon in Italy this last year, I had to pay $6 US Dollars for a coca-cola. Usually its the other way around and now you know how it feels!

Now, even though the US Dollar is "weaker" that the Euro, the purchasing power of the US dollar in America is much stronger. For instance, food and drink in the states are much cheaper, as are clothes and other items.

Well one thing that is cheaper is LEGO. I want to feel bad for you, but this is one time I cannot.

I reccomend you buy this item off of EBAY for the US price and pay a little more for shipping. You can use paypal quite easily.

-martinsuper

I hate to not sympathize with you, but welcome to what it feels like to be an American for a change. When I went on my honeymoon in Italy this last year, I had to pay $6 US Dollars for a coca-cola. Usually its the other way around and now you know how it feels!

Now, even though the US Dollar is "weaker" that the Euro, the purchasing power of the US dollar in America is much stronger. For instance, food and drink in the states are much cheaper, as are clothes and other items.

Well one thing that is cheaper is LEGO. I want to feel bad for you, but this is one time I cannot.

I reccomend you buy this item off of EBAY for the US price and pay a little more for shipping. You can use paypal quite easily.

-martinsuper

I am sorry, all I read in your post was that you where going to buy this set for me and ship it to me for the self-cost&shipping only :)

I don't know what place you found such a expensive Coke, but I was recently in Italy myself... Such expensive cokes might maybe be found in the minibar of a 5 star hotel or something?

And still you cant compare my Imperial flagship to Coca Cola! :jollyroger:

Im sorry, but that does not make any sense.

For instance, food and drink in the states are much cheaper, as are clothes and other items.

Well one thing that is cheaper is LEGO.

It is well known that Lego is cheaper in America, than Europe. This is not the issue here, I presume Lego bought in Finland or Republic of Ireland gets shipped from the same central European warehouse, that Lego bought in Germany or UK does, so inflated prices are not fair for these countries. Been at the periphery of Europe, perhaps an increased delivery cost could be argued to be fair, but it would be not near the increases in prices these consumers pay.

I don't get it. You agree that Europe is more expensive. You even came there and noticed. "Usually it is the other way round"? I don't get it.

Indeed, LEGO is more expensive in Europe due to a various amount of reasons, but I buy a lot into the US directly, shipping from the USA to Europe is mostly pretty cheap.

In Belgium, the flagship is listed at 149,99 Euro if I remember correctly.

Indeed, LEGO is more expensive in Europe due to a various amount of reasons, but I buy a lot into the US directly, shipping from the USA to Europe is mostly pretty cheap.

In Belgium, the flagship is listed at 149,99 Euro if I remember correctly.

Todays price, without shipping :(

imperialflagship.jpg

Makes no sense at all, since yes its cheaper in other EU countries and it even ships from same storage area!

Edited by Killerrabbit

Well, I would suggest we all use our fancy dancy link to help the forum and just buy our ships NIB from EBay? This is a win/win for everyone! The forum gets some bucks and we all get our ships for the good ole cheap American prices! Perhaps a certain Spanish swordsman could find a few on ebay and link them for us?!

-martinsuper

Its $230 CAD here in Canada which is very expensive. Plus as an exclusive set, they ain't gonna put sales on these. If they do they are either small, rare or just when the set gets discontinued.

Cant you just pay it, and stop complaining? LEGO needs all the money it can get to keep its products in production! Same with Coke or any other product.. Its a little more, sure! But it helps out TLG with newer things. If we all stopped buying LEGO, i'm sure they would be going downhill, and if everyone stopped... Well, No more LEGO. :pir-cry_sad: So.. Pirate up and pay the little bit more! :pir-blush:

Cant you just pay it, and stop complaining? LEGO needs all the money it can get to keep its products in production! Same with Coke or any other product.. Its a little more, sure! But it helps out TLG with newer things. If we all stopped buying LEGO, i'm sure they would be going downhill, and if everyone stopped... Well, No more LEGO. :pir-cry_sad: So.. Pirate up and pay the little bit more! :pir-blush:

I'm glad you said this, because now Im not the least popular person on this particular thread! :pir_laugh2:

-martinsuper

He can also stop complaining, and not buy it. I do that all the time and not just with Lego :pir-blush: There are many thousands of Lego sets either in production or available on the 2nd hand market, that there is not one single set that you absolutely "must have", if someone really thinks he "needs" to buy it, then he has a problem that suggests counseling. TLG knows well how to price sets to make the best profit, they don't do charity, so neither us customer do charity and buy sets in fear that otherwise they will stop...

Its $230 CAD here in Canada which is very expensive. Plus as an exclusive set, they ain't gonna put sales on these. If they do they are either small, rare or just when the set gets discontinued.

Buy online. Retail is ridiculously expensive.

Or move to the U.S. :D

Buy online. Retail is ridiculously expensive.

Or move to the U.S. :D

It is true I do indeed buy most my items from ebay / .com / .co.uk / .de nowadays.

Anyway, the thing I wanted most (and not complaining... well maybe little bit complaining) was to see if there was anyone who had a background information to why it was more expensive in the first place, since to my understanding it ships from the same storage in EU?

I did order Emerald Night recently from LEGO.COM, and if I am not misstaken that was sent from Germany (or that might have been the packages first stop according to the shipment tracker)

I have to admit that this is a rather expensive set but, I wonder if some of the expense is due to the current economic situation we are all in right now. 20 years ago Lego was a lot cheaper and you could get a "big set" for a lot less.

But if you think about it Lego was just doing about 7 or 8 different colors back then and they used the same piece with the same color for a huge variety of sets. This meant that Lego could produce more legos without having to use more machines due to different colors.

And if you look at the sets back then they didn't have as many parts. The SES was the biggest ship prior to the IFS and it only had over 800 parts and it went for $126. The Imperial Flagship has over 1600 parts and most of them are in rare, hard to find colors, so I wouldn't start bashing Lego for all of the high prices.

If you want to get a Imperial flagship for cheaper than buy it from the US but, you don't need to criticize Lego for trying to make a profit. :pir-classic:

If you want to get a Imperial flagship for cheaper than buy it from the US but, you don't need to criticize Lego for trying to make a profit. :pir-classic:

From what I understand, Ireland and Finland is the only 2 countries they are making the "profit" in then, in the other countries its listed at 179 USD, 139,99 £, 159 € (in ger) ;)

Why are they not trying to make profit in this countries then? Since it ships from same storage, but with 2 different prices - it makes no sense at all, profit or not.

Edited by Killerrabbit

Killerrabbit:

Like I said, for this one, Ireland is for once getting ordinary pricing - €150. Recent exclusives (Fire Brigade, Tantive IV) were €175 for Ireland, where price was €150 for Germany, and from what I can tell, all at an eye-popping €200 for Finland.

I emailed Lego several times about the price discrepencies and never had a satisfactory explanation other than basically they price what they think is appropriate for each market.

Although the mail order prices are the same across the US, I think they do have the issue of stores charging different amounts in different states (i.e. not just due to taxes) but perhaps I'm wrong and there is some federal regulation of it to stop price disparities between regions?

Anyway, the price differences are entirely Lego's choice, and cannot be accounted for by tax or operating costs. I'd like to see an end to this kind of thing by any companies selling mail order in the Eurozone.

I'm glad you said this, because now Im not the least popular person on this particular thread! :pir_laugh2:

-martinsuper

Kind of rude, but either way... Your welcome! :pir_laugh2:

He can also stop complaining, and not buy it. I do that all the time and not just with Lego :pir-blush: There are many thousands of Lego sets either in production or available on the 2nd hand market, that there is not one single set that you absolutely "must have", if someone really thinks he "needs" to buy it, then he has a problem that suggests counseling. TLG knows well how to price sets to make the best profit, they don't do charity, so neither us customer do charity and buy sets in fear that otherwise they will stop...

I know, Its simple. If you DON'T like the price.. DON'T Buy it.. I don't really care who hates me for saying that.. But if they wanna be immature and hate me for that, Be my guest. TLG will notice that its not selling good, and eventually, possibly, Lower their price. Its a nice EXCLUSIVE Set, that shouldn't be to cheap or to expensive.. Either grow up and pay it, or DON'T buy the dang thing.. Its not going to kill you.

I know, Its simple. If you DON'T like the price.. DON'T Buy it.. I don't really care who hates me for saying that.. But if they wanna be immature and hate me for that, Be my guest. TLG will notice that its not selling good, and eventually, possibly, Lower their price. Its a nice EXCLUSIVE Set, that shouldn't be to cheap or to expensive.. Either grow up and pay it, or DON'T buy the dang thing.. Its not going to kill you.

Well I agree with you on that. It just seems that people are trying to find something to complain about. I mean first it was "we don't have any pirates". :pir_bawling: (Ill bet you would all have payed the high prices then to get a pirate set.) Than it was "there weren't good pirate sets just the dreaded jelly bean stuff". :pir_bawling: Than "the pirate sets weren't detailed enough or large enough such as BBB". Now it is "that the price is too high". :pir_bawling:

We have been very lucky to have Lego listen to the fan community (since that is not its Biggest market) and produce some of the best sets it ever has producef. Why do we have to Complain all of the time when Lego is making great sets.

Now that being said go ahead and don't buy the high priced Imperial Flagship now. I will be able to get more of them Cheaper and then and I might Sell you one for (Oh say) $500 in a few years :pir-skull: . :pir-classic:

Edited by bengun

Well I agree with you on that. It just seems that people are trying to find something to complain about.

Exactly.. couldn't said it better myself! High fives

Exactly.. couldn't said it better myself! High fives

As said before, I am trying to understand why there are so high price differences between country to country, not "random complaining".

Please read through the posts completely before judging.

As said before, I am trying to understand why there are so high price differences between country to country, not "random complaining".

Please read through the posts completely before judging.

I DID read the posts completely, I understand later on that is what you were wanting to know, And the title clearly has a :pir-angry: face.. :pir_laugh2: But see, if you weren't complaining about it in the first place, why didn't you just ask in your first post.. (Or edit) To ask "Why is the pricing for European LEGO Sets different than ones in US?" as the first post is what many users read and THEN post, THEN look over the other posts, Then if they see need for editing their post, they should do so accordingly. It would help lots if when the questions change, to change the first post next time, Or at least add it in on the first post somewhere. Just trying to help future issues/discussions.

If your so curious though, why not ask TLG Directly? which can be done here for email, phone, or by Postal mail. I'm sure they would offer the best answer for any Shop@home/Pricing issues, unless someone on EB worked for that department for LEGO. :pir-tongue:

I'm going to have to step up and defend my fellow Finn from those who are mocking him.

It's damn easy for you to say "just quit whining and pay up a little extra", since you're not the ones who are getting leeched here. You don't have to pay 61% more because you happen to live in a specific country. :angry:

It's a salvation to us Finnish AFOLs that online shopping is possible nowadays, but there are still lots of people who aren't accustomed to use those services, and thus unknowingly pay more than is fair.

Yes, Finland might be one of the economically richest countries in the world, but that doesn't mean we're all millionaires here. Our salaries are higher than average, but all of our prices are even higher because we have such a low population. TLG is just one of the companies milking off of us.

So instead of just asking us to "suck it up", why don't you try to think this from our point of view. Besides, when have the Americans ever had to pay more than us Europeans for anything? :wacko: